MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

Guest Joyfilled1

My little 5 (almost 6) year old went and got the mail today. Hubby and I are thinking we need to start practicing how we will deal with packages and mail. If the virus can live on surfaces for five days (or more!), then we want to protect ourselves from it coming that way. 

Is there anything that you are doing differently because of the Coronavirus?

Bought some hand sanitizers and using them.  Read this tonight:
It is a curious fact that 70% isopropyl alcohol kills germs better in general use than 91% isopropyl alcohol. The ability of lower percentage solutions to kill germs is retained until below 50%. So the question is why is 91% and 49% not good at killing germs? 91% is too much alcohol thus it evaporates very quickly not staying around long enough to kill germs. 49% is too little alcohol and too much water to kill effectively. 70% is the sweet spot: Strong enough to kill well, wet enough to last long enough to do the job. Rubbing alcohol is 70%. This is also why most jell hand “sanitizers” are about 70% alcohol.
  • Thanks 2

Watched a video today where a gentleman was interviewing a woman that had escaped from China after being in prison for "spreading" rumors.  Bottom line...she says they're lying to the world.  She says the cremation centers are burning nearly non-stop (she has pictures and sources for a lot of this...cell phones from her people) and that they are actually welding plates over the doors of homes to seal in people who are sick.  She also said that they are pulling back on their paper currency because they say it's "dirty and may contain the virus"...and trying to go all digital.  That's probably a lot of the reason the stock markets are sinking...they don't like digital dollars!  It was a very lengthy interview and made me sit up and take notice.  I checked with a friend of mine who made the statement that she was afraid this virus was going to be bad...I asked her do you have enough food, water, cooking facilities to shelter in place for 30 days...she said "No".  I gave her some suggestions on things she could buy quickly from Aldis and $Tree...her response was "Aldis is a good store".  So...I leave it at that.  She's got grand kids and a son her lives in the apartment above her...you'd think she'd be johnny on the spot to put back some food and water.  But...I"ll keep my pup on my porch.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Guest Joyfilled1 said:

My little 5 (almost 6) year old went and got the mail today. Hubby and I are thinking we need to start practicing how we will deal with packages and mail. If the virus can live on surfaces for five days (or more!), then we want to protect ourselves from it coming that way. 

Is there anything that you are doing differently because of the Coronavirus?

Around where we live the postmen have to where gloves. They are the thick blue ones. I've not seen them in stores but in medical supplies. That started with the white powder stuff being mailed to post offices.  But for picking up your mail from box, you can where gloves, but would have either open the envelopes carefully and throw in outside garbage in a small trash bag. Then change the gloves to see what the mail is. Junk mail just pitch in trash and don't open it. At this time that is the only suggestion I can think of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, The WE2's said:

Watched a video today where a gentleman was interviewing a woman that had escaped from China after being in prison for "spreading" rumors.  Bottom line...she says they're lying to the world.  She says the cremation centers are burning nearly non-stop (she has pictures and sources for a lot of this...cell phones from her people) and that they are actually welding plates over the doors of homes to seal in people who are sick.  She also said that they are pulling back on their paper currency because they say it's "dirty and may contain the virus"...and trying to go all digital.  That's probably a lot of the reason the stock markets are sinking...they don't like digital dollars!  It was a very lengthy interview and made me sit up and take notice.  I checked with a friend of mine who made the statement that she was afraid this virus was going to be bad...I asked her do you have enough food, water, cooking facilities to shelter in place for 30 days...she said "No".  I gave her some suggestions on things she could buy quickly from Aldis and $Tree...her response was "Aldis is a good store".  So...I leave it at that.  She's got grand kids and a son her lives in the apartment above her...you'd think she'd be johnny on the spot to put back some food and water.  But...I"ll keep my pup on my porch.

I have heard about this. If they catch up to her, they more than likely will kill her. I still wonder about that doctor that let the cat out of the bag from the beginning and then he died of the virus. it does make you think. I think what she is saying is true because of what China is doing to their people anyway. This is something that got out of hand there. Maybe Bioweapon. Questions to be answered that we may never know about.

6 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Questions to be answered

She had a lot to say...and it's very frightening to say the least.  They also said that Facebook, Twitter and Youtube (I think these are the three) are monitoring everybody's posts for "alarming" posts that are spreading fear and propaganda. In her interview she said people there are sentenced to prison (as she was) for "spreading rumors" for life and if they spread "lies" they are sentenced to death.  

This in from Alerts USA

CDC issues level 2 (practice Enhanced Precautions) Travel notice for Italy due to sustained community transmission of COVID 19 coronavirus.

CDC issues level 3 (Avoid Nonessential Travel) Travel Notice for S. Korea warning of widespread, ongoing outbreak of COVID 19 coronavirus. 

With what Amberbris has posted on the numbers in each country.  And the travel alerts, I would say we are getting closer to a pandemic unless all these countries can get this under control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, The WE2's said:

She had a lot to say...and it's very frightening to say the least.  They also said that Facebook, Twitter and Youtube (I think these are the three) are monitoring everybody's posts for "alarming" posts that are spreading fear and propaganda. In her interview she said people there are sentenced to prison (as she was) for "spreading rumors" for life and if they spread "lies" they are sentenced to death.  

I think you are right about Facebook, twitter, and you tube. they are monitoring us. Facebook is the worst. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

we are getting closer to a pandemic unless all these countries can get this under control. 

We're pretty well prepped, but it's still frightening to know that our country is at risk, our state may be at risk and our city/town may be at risk.  Prayer and wisdom...

• Like 2
Guest Joyfilled1
35 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Around where we live the postmen have to where gloves. They are the thick blue ones. I've not seen them in stores but in medical supplies. That started with the white powder stuff being mailed to post offices.  But for picking up your mail from box, you can where gloves, but would have either open the envelopes carefully and throw in outside garbage in a small trash bag. Then change the gloves to see what the mail is. Junk mail just pitch in trash and don't open it. At this time that is the only suggestion I can think of. 

I love the idea of having a trash outside....even in good times, ha! Just don't bring it into the house! 

I also thought (eventually) of using Walmart bags to cover our feet, and leave them in the trash before coming inside. I hate thinking about all of this....but I will wish I had thought about it beforehand if it goes through.

Hubby also bought a rain outfit, thinking we could clean it with bleach. He's thinking his muck boots would do the job, too. He's smart and reads a lot....he thought this virus would explode back in mid January....and here we are. He thinks things will get heated up this week. We're upping our preps as able....

May God be with us all.

Guest Joyfilled1

Did y'all hear that WHO doesn't use the word pandemic anymore? It made me laugh. As if by pure will you can make it disappear....

Oh!! And are you thinking about cleaning supplies? I mean like laundry soap, dish soap, lotion, chapstick, shampoo, etc....or if you make your own, supplies to make your own? Toothpaste, tooth brushes....baby supplies.... obviously food is good, but there is so much to think about!!

Watch out using plastic bags on your feet.......with snow we'd slip and crash.  But...you've got the right ideas!  :thumbs:

LISTS on another thread here in Flu Clinic......

Hard to see this going so badly in other countries.  :(  .....gonna be even harder if it gets to our own communities.  Stay under the radar with quiet prepping. 

MtRider  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Watched a video today where a gentleman was interviewing a woman that had escaped from China after being in prison for "spreading" rumors.  Bottom line...she says they're lying to the world.

I might have seen the same video but the disclaimer said that the interviewer was posing as a government official and was talking to a funeral home owner.  Said the same things but I am not sure I believe she would have talked like that to an official of any type.  Could have been a different video but what was said sounds the same and it was lengthy.

This in from Alerts USA and has now been on news.

CDC formally says now is the time for businesses, hospitals, communities, schools, and individuals to begin preparing to respond to coronavirus.  Comments were made during telebriefing by Nancy Messonnier MD, director , national center for Immunization and Respiratory diseases. They are awaiting full transcript of the telebriefing.  

Guess it is time to get serious about what we need to be doing.  I have been doing inventory of a lot of things.  So far I think I am good. 

I have several boxes of gloves,  over 165 N95 mask. Enough food to last a year if it is just the 2 of us. (Need to talk to son in law as daughter thinks nothing will happen)  I am tired of her looking the other way and not preparing for this. 

Good on cleaning supplies, though I am thinking if I need more bleach. I have 5 1/2 gal. bottles now. 

Need to fill up the rest of my water containers.

Good on personal supplies as well 

All this is what I have been inventorying yesterday.  

Thinking about the suits to cover body if must leave house in case of isolation situation. Praying that it doesn't come to that. 

Can't help but feel that I am leaving something out. 

I want to find those shoe covers that workers wear when they enter your home to do work. I know here the cable company wears them when they come to check the cable boxes as well as others. Just don't know where to get them. 

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Need to fill up the rest of my water containers.

:sSig_thankyou:    We're on a well but if it's bad enough-long enough for our major systems [electric] to falter....eventually....???  I've never had a situation where I would fill the 6 big Waterman-type jugs.  But....I'm putting that on my To Do list.  JIC

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1
Guest Joyfilled1
17 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Watch out using plastic bags on your feet.......with snow we'd slip and crash.  But...you've got the right ideas!  :thumbs:

LISTS on another thread here in Flu Clinic......

Hard to see this going so badly in other countries.  :(  .....gonna be even harder if it gets to our own communities.  Stay under the radar with quiet prepping. 

MtRider  :pray: 

Ach! Falling would not be good. 

Off to look at lists! Thanks. :)

2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

:sSig_thankyou:    We're on a well but if it's bad enough-long enough for our major systems [electric] to falter....eventually....???  I've never had a situation where I would fill the 6 big Waterman-type jugs.  But....I'm putting that on my To Do list.  JIC

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

We do have a well but right now it is not hooked up.  We had to disconnect it for the driveway to go in as it is right at the garage door. We are on city water and not sure I want to trust it if this thing becomes a pandemic.  People out of work. So we need to get that hooked up again. Not hard to do, just hook it back to the pipe in ground. But still going to fill up all 8 of my 6 gal. water containers. plus the 2- 5 gal. ones. Got to get the Berkey out as well for filtering water. Haven't used it in a while. got lots of filters for it as well. 

• Like 1

Ok, I was going through the mail and the Ready Nutrition newsletter was in the email. This is what they are saying. If you are not aware of this company. It is a good one. They keep on top of all types of things like this. 

When you see these signs, it's time to make preparations for a worse case scenario. Here are the 6 key warning signs:

1- Emergency officials say they have the situation under control but more cases continue to pop up.

2- Local and state governments officially declare an emergency

3- Cases have been identified at local hospital or at schools in your general vicinity

4- General public begins to panic and store shelves start running out of key supplies like food and bottled water

5- Looting and lawlessness occurs within local communities

6- Virus breaches a 50 mile radius surrounding your home or town.

If any of these signs begin to appear around you, it's time to seriously concidering distancing yourself from society. No retail stores, sporting events or even schools.  This would be when it is time to stay home and not go out.  

The Ready Nutrition has a bit of info on this. All the above came from them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Guest Joyfilled1
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

Ok, I was going through the mail and the Ready Nutrition newsletter was in the email. This is what they are saying. If you are not aware of this company. It is a good one. They keep on top of all types of things like this. 

When you see these signs, it's time to make preparations for a worse case scenario. Here are the 6 key warning signs:

1- Emergency officials say they have the situation under control but more cases continue to pop up.

2- Local and state governments officially declare an emergency

3- Cases have been identified at local hospital or at schools in your general vicinity

4- General public begins to panic and store shelves start running out of key supplies like food and bottled water

5- Looting and lawlessness occurs within local communities

6- Virus breaches a 50 mile radius surrounding your home or town.

If any of these signs begin to appear around you, it's time to seriously concidering distancing yourself from society. No retail stores, sporting events or even schools.  This would be when it is time to stay home and not go out.  

The Ready Nutrition has a bit of info on this. All the above came from them. 

I appreciate it, Little Sister, even though I don't like it. What a deal. Our communities are so interrelated here....I'm sure everywhere. 

My sister is supposed to be flying in from out of the country for a couple weeks. I wonder.....

My nephew, his wife and 2 sons returned yesterday from their recent trip to Maui.  She posted pictures the first day they were there and never mentioned anything again other than to say they were on their way home yesterday.  I've wondered why she never posted anything else and the flu was never mentioned.  They live in CA.  I live in Iowa so it's not like I'll be seeing them to hear about their trip.

San Francisco declared a state of emergency today (they say to get emergency funds) after the CDC announcement that Americans should prepare for “significant disruptions’ in their lives...

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/a0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html

https://abc7.com/health/coronavirus-cdc-warns-americans-to-prepare-for-significant-disruption/5966697/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/SF-mayor-London-Breed-declares-state-of-emergency-15083811.php

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Guest Joyfilled1 said:

I appreciate it, Little Sister, even though I don't like it. What a deal. Our communities are so interrelated here....I'm sure everywhere. 

My sister is supposed to be flying in from out of the country for a couple weeks. I wonder.....

I hope it is not from a country that is really dealing with this in a bad way. Just be prepared as you can. :pray: going out that your sister is ok.

41 minutes ago, Dee said:

My nephew, his wife and 2 sons returned yesterday from their recent trip to Maui.  She posted pictures the first day they were there and never mentioned anything again other than to say they were on their way home yesterday.  I've wondered why she never posted anything else and the flu was never mentioned.  They live in CA.  I live in Iowa so it's not like I'll be seeing them to hear about their trip.

Have you tried to contact them?  Could be they are just tired from the trip and unpacking and washing clothes etc. Hope all is ok.

Dogmom. I heard that on the news today as well. I think there are more than they are letting on.  They also said on world news that the US is not prepared and the White House is releasing funds for an emergency outbreak.  They also said that the hospitals are not prepared as they cannot get the mask They need over 30,000 mask for heathcare workers and there is a shortage. So my question is why didn't they get them when the first 2 or 3 people come here with the virus. That should have told them something. You cannot wait till the last minute to get prepared. It just doesn't work that way.

I talked to my daughter and told her to get prepared. All she had to say was she doesn't feed people. She really does not cook for her DH, son and daughter that still live there. DH does the cooking and son helps with it sometimes if it's something he likes to eat. She is more worried about those 7 ferrets of hers than the kids and DH.  Her priorities are a bit mixed up. So they have a camper that sleeps 10. She can park it in my driveway, Live in it and I will fix her up a care package. That should do it. 

• Like 2