MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

Thank you, OOTO!  The comparison to normal our usual flu versions --  that can really give us a basis to work from in understanding the DIFFERENCE in COVID-19. 

From OOTO's link above:

https://www.glennbeck.com/blog/coronavirus-update-monday-march-2nd

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=

COVID-19 Compared to Seasonal Flu (or why Governments are taking such aggressive action)

COVID-19 vs Flu    
  Common Seasonal Flu* COVID-19
Case Fatality Rate 0.1% 2.30%*
  • Serious Complication Rate (Pneumonia/Hospitalization)
0.9% 18%
Requiring ICU Rate (SARS/Septic Shock/Organ Failure) 0.25% 5%
R0 (R-Naught)/Rate of Infection 1.3 4.7
Spreads via Droplets Yes Yes
Spreads via Aerosols Yes Yes
Time Virus Survives on Surfaces 4-5 hours 5-9 Days
Incubation Period 2-3 Days 5-14 Days
Spreads During Incubation Period No Yes
Spreads Asymptomatically No Yes
Natural Herd Immunity Yes No
Vaccines/Antiviral Drugs Available Yes No
Fecal-Oral Transmission No Yes
Reinfection Risk No Yes
  1,000,000 1,000,000
Projections Based on Current Data Seasonal Flu COVID-19
Hospitalizations per 1 Million Infections 9,000 180,000

ICUs per 1 Million Infections 2,500 50,000

Fatalities per 1 Million Infections 1,000 23,000

* Case Fatality Rate expected to be lower outside China (but note current Case Fatality Rate in the US is 2.5%)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=

I've been looking for data on  how long it survives on a surface  and a few other things.  This is the same [days] that I've seen.  Some of the other comparisons.....  I hate to say it but.....these comparisons do NOT LOOK GOOD.  Not good at all. 

:sigh:    Mormons and Preppers are right......this probably is going to be what we all prep for..... :sigh:

MtRider  .....officially worried now.  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Also worrisome has been the "Typhoid Mary" affect.   (That's an historical reference....see below if not familiar.  Her story is interesting.)

===Spreads during incubation period  Flu - No   COVID - Yes

===Spreads Asymptomatically  [without symptoms]  Flu - No  COVID - Yes

===The R0  [R Nought] ratio has gone up.  Number of others expected to be infected by one person.

===Able to be reinfected....  We've heard that but it's horrifying.  How do we get rid of this thing?

MtRider  .....still, MOST people who get it have mild case and MOST survive even harsh cases.

Typhoid Mary....poor woman was not at fault directly, but was the first [known] asymptomatic carrier of typhoid fever in U.S.  Now ....er, infamous.  Sounds like she wasn't cooperative in distancing herself from others tho.  :(  Do we know anyone who would refuse to stay home and away from others just....BECAUSE....?  :buttercup:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Here is a well presented article about Preppers.  The article EVEN presents the jokes as jokes instead of inflammatory statements.

https://www.glennbeck.com/blog/coronavirus-update-monday-march-2nd

Uh huh!  Guess we all don't look so radical and/or stupid right about now, huh?   

MtRider  ....well, if it gets the word out there to folks....  :pray:  

Edited by Mt_Rider

Another point about the real "Typhoid Mary" that I HOPE does not apply to the asymptomatic COVID folks......  Mary Mallon apparently remained an asymptomatic carrier....infected those around her...for the rest of her life.  It's not like she ever had the disease and then was no longer a carrier.  This it the first I heard that part of the story. :blink:

...okay, had enough of my "ghost stories" for today?  Sorry.  "Worst Case Scenarios" belong with my Without Warning practice runs....not real life.  Right?

MtRider  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

705 confirmed "Diamond Princess" cruise ship Others

159 confirmed Germany

108 confirmed  Singapore

100 US total

45 confirmed  Unassigned Location (Omaha)  (From Diamond Princess) US

40 confirmed UK

18 confirmed Netherlands 

14 confirmed King County, WA US

9 confirmed Victoria, Australia

9 confirmed Santa Clara, CA US

8 confirmed British Columbia, Canada

6 confirmed New South Wales, Australia

4 confirmed Cook County, IL US

4 confirmed Snohomish County, WA US

3 confirmed South Australia, Australia

2 confirmed, Western Australia, Australia

2 confirmed Portland, OR US

2 confirmed Providence, RI US

2 confirmed Sacramento County, CA US

2 confirmed San Benito, CA US

2 confirmed San Diego County, CA US

1 confirmed, Tasmania, Australia

1 confirmed Montreal QC Canada

1 confirmed London, ON Canada

1 confirmed, New Zealand

1 confirmed Boston, MA US

1 confirmed Grafton County, NH US

1 confirmed Hillsborough, FL US

1 confirmed Humboldt County, CA US

1 confirmed Los Angeles, CA US

1 confirmed Madison, WI US

1 confirmed New York City, NY US

1 confirmed Orange, CA US

1 confirmed San Antonio, TX US

1 confirmed San Mateo, CA US

1 confirmed Sarasota, FL US

1 confirmed Sonoma County, CA US

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ US

1 confirmed Umatilla, OR US

5 deaths King County, WA US

1 deaths Snohomish County, WA US

March 2, 5:45 p.m. update

• Thanks 1

Washington state is now 6 deaths. Seems it is in a nursing home where student nurses were training. They also had a student in a school that has tested positive and they are closing the schools I think they said King County Washington.  So that number will rise and fast.  Also in Texas, They tested a woman twice and she showed neg. so they let her go. She since has been to the malls, a bakery, bank and several other places it seems. She has now been tested a third time and is positive. They have right now 170 people they are watching.

Here in VA there are 3 in central VA and 2 tested neg. and were released. Not sure on the 3ed one yet. 

I don't think they are going to be able to contain this any longer. But still our wonderful government is playing it down. I know they don't want to spread panic but from what I saw on world news this evening it has started.  Shelves in stores are now getting wiped out. So I am going to go ahead and fill all my water containers and what ever else I have will be ready to go. Not staying home yet. I am thinking if I should just in case pick up some more can goods etc. Not decided on that yet. Maybe pick up some bottled water as well. 

• Like 6
Guest Joyfilled1

Awww....thanks so much for remembering me y'all! :bighug2:

As far as writing.....nothing as big as Joy's Legacy/Journey. Some day I'd love to finish it, maybe write more books. In the meantime, 5 kiddos keep this mama busy! I've written a few short stories....I'm currently writing a series on Eye Witness Accounts of Who Christ is for our Resurrection celebration. I sure do enjoy it!

That got me thinking about something, though....something we should all do. Journal. I'm not great at it....but I think we are living in historical times, and our words will matter. I think what Trump said, or CDC did, or FEMA had will be of importance, but what the actual people experienced will be so very valuable, at least to those who come after us.

6 deaths in the US. A week ago, less even, we had 15 cases, supposedly, and most of them were almost healed. May God be with us. :pray:

45 confirmed Unassigned Location  (Omaha) (From Diamond Princess) US

14 confirmed King County, WA US

9 confirmed Santa Clara, CA U

4 confirmed Cook County, IL US

4 confirmed Snohomish County, WA US

2 confirmed Fulton County, GA US

2 confirmed Providence, RI US

2 confirmed Sacramento County, CA US

2 confirmed San Benito, CA US

2 confirmed San Diego County, CA US

2 confirmed San Mateo, CA US

2 confirmed Washington County, OR US

1 confirmed Norfolk County, MA US

1 confirmed Boston, MA US

1 confirmed Grafton County, NH US

1 confirmed Hillsborough, FL US

1 confirmed Humboldt County, CA US

1 confirmed Los Angeles, CA US

1 confirmed Madison, WI US

1 confirmed New York City, NY US

1 confirmed Orange, CA US

1 confirmed Placer County, CA US

1 confirmed San Antonio, TX US

1 confirmed Sarasota, FL US

1 confirmed Sonoma County, CA US

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ US

1 confirmed Umatilla, OR US

5 deaths  King County, WA US

1 deaths  Snohomish County, WA

Last Updated at 3/3/2020, 6:03:09 AM

• Thanks 2

Have not heard anything so far today on Coronavirus as it got really busy for me this morning and early afternoon.  DH just cannot behave himself. he has a gulf ball size knot on his left elbow. Didn't hit it that he remembers and might be he has been resting it on hard surfaces for long periods. Very red and hot. Full of fluid. Went to a walk in clinic or urgent care. They said it was Elbow bursitis. They said to just not rest it on hard surfaces and to keep ice on it. Then if it gets worse to go to ER which we rather not do or go to his primary doctor. It may need to be drained if it gets any worse. I hope we can get it down with the ice pack. He said there is no infection but is inflamed. They don't want to give him anti inflammatory because of his health issues. He has no pain at all and can move the elbow around with no problem. So I have him on a wait and see. 

So we have not seen anything going on with this virus.  Did see a little bit of the tornado in Tenn. That is so bad. I feel for those who lost love ones. And still several are missing. :pray::pray::pray:.

Anyone living in the area of Tenn. that's on this forum, please if you can just do a quick ok I'm fine to let us all know you are ok..  

• Sad 2

Yeah....that's the phrase that I noted too, OOTO.  'Course I've been doing the social distancing for a couple weeks now.  Exception was dog at vet.  We all had to get up close and personal to deal with her.....just frantic at vet and we discovered the anxiety calming pills need to be given EARLIER!  BUT...she's fine and don't want to get close to folks on the days just BEFORE someone in my area shows a positive.  :wacko: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  going to be visiting like this!  :coffeescreen:

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

Yeah....that's the phrase that I noted too, OOTO.  'Course I've been doing the social distancing for a couple weeks now.  Exception was dog at vet.  We all had to get up close and personal to deal with her.....just frantic at vet and we discovered the anxiety calming pills need to be given EARLIER!  BUT...she's fine and don't want to get close to folks on the days just BEFORE someone in my area shows a positive.  :wacko: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  going to be visiting like this!  :coffeescreen:

With the other health stuff I have going on, DD and I have been mostly home this winter, except for medical stuff.  I'm actually starting to get some cabin fever, but have been either too weak or sick to go anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5,186 South Korea
2,502 Italy
2,336 Iran
706 Others (trapped on Diamond Princess)
293 Japan
204 France
196 Germany
153 Spain
118 US
110 Singapore
100 Hong Kong
56 Kuwait
56 Switzerland
51 UK
49 Bahrain
43 Thailand
42 Taiwan
39 Australia
36 Malaysia
32 Norway
32 Iraq
29 Canada
24 Netherlands
21 Sweden
21 United Arab Emirates
21 Austria
16 Vietnam
13 Belgium
13 Lebanon
12 Israel
12 Oman
11 Iceland
10 San Marino
10 Macau
9 Croatia
7 Qatar
7 Ecuador
7 Greece
6 Denmark
6 Finland
5 Czech Republic
5 Algeria
5 India
5 Pakistan
5 Mexico
3 Georgia
3 Philippines
3 Russia
3 Romania
3 Azerbaijan
2 Indonesia
2 Brazil
2 Portugal
2 Egypt
1 Afghanistan
1 Lithuania
1 Nepal
1 Luxembourg
1 Andorra
1 Saudi Arabia
1 Ireland
1 Armenia
1 Argentina
1 Nigeria
1 Senegal
1 Jordan
1 Chile
1 Dominican Republic
1 Ukraine
1 Estonia
1 North Macedonia
1 Morocco
1 Cambodia
1 Monaco
1 Belarus
1 New Zealand
1 Latvia
1 Sri Lanka

US breakdown:

45 confirmed Unassigned Location (From Diamond Princess) 

21 confirmed King County, WA 

9 confirmed Santa Clara, CA 

6 confirmed Snohomish County, WA 

4 confirmed Cook County, IL 

2 confirmed Fulton County, GA 

2 confirmed Hillsborough, FL 

2 confirmed Providence, RI 

2 confirmed Sacramento County, CA 

2 confirmed San Benito, CA 

2 confirmed San Diego County, CA 

2 confirmed San Mateo, CA 

2 confirmed Washington County, OR 

1 confirmed Norfolk County, MA 

1 confirmed Boston, MA 

1 confirmed Grafton County, NH

1 confirmed Humboldt County, CA 

1 confirmed Los Angeles, CA 

1 confirmed Madison, WI 

1 confirmed Maricopa County, AZ 

1 confirmed New York City, NY 

1 confirmed Orange, CA 

1 confirmed Placer County, CA 

1 confirmed San Antonio, TX 

1 confirmed Sarasota, FL 

1 confirmed Sonoma County, CA 

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ 

1 confirmed Umatilla, OR 

1 confirmed Wake County, NC 

1 confirmed Westchester County, NY 

3/3/2020, 3:53:02 PM Eastern

• Thanks 2

9 now confirmed dead in Washington state. I think all of them was that nursing home but not sure of that. We haven't had any cases yet confirmed in VA yet but there are some questions on about 3 or 4 people I think are college students. Not at all in our area as of yet. But we are now going to start distancing ourselves from the public as much as possible. Still very concerned about granddaughter and her husband heading to Washington state. They were going to stop at a store before getting to Washington to put what they could squeeze into the cars. Just to give them a heads start before they could get to store after moving into house. They do have the masks and  a lot of hand sanitizer. Still grandma worries about her grownup grandkids. What can I say.

• Like 3

148 Confirmed Cases by City, Province/State

45 confirmed Unassigned Location (Omaha) (From Diamond Princess) US

31 confirmed King County, WA 

11 confirmed Santa Clara, CA 

8 confirmed Snohomish County, WA 

7 confirmed Los Angeles, CA 

5 confirmed Westchester County, NY 

4 confirmed Cook County, IL 

3 confirmed Orange County, CA 

2 confirmed Fulton County, GA 

Grafton County, NH

Hillsborough, FL 

Placer County, CA 

Providence, RI 

Sacramento County, CA 

San Benito, CA 

San Diego County, CA 

San Mateo, CA 

Washington County, OR 

1 confirmed Norfolk County, MA 

Berkeley, CA 

Boston, MA 

Contra Costa County, CA 

Humboldt County, CA 

Madison, WI 

Maricopa County, AZ 

New York City, NY 

San Antonio, TX 

Sarasota, FL 

Sonoma County, CA 

Tempe, AZ 

Umatilla, OR 

Wake County, NC

Total US Deaths 11
9 deaths  King County, WA US

1 deaths  Placer County, CA US

1 deaths  Snohomish County, WA US

Total US Recovered 8
2 recovered Cook County, IL US

1 recovered Boston, MA US

1 recovered King County, WA US

1 recovered Madison, WI US

1 recovered San Diego County, CA US

1 recovered Santa Clara, CA US

1 recovered Tempe, AZ US

3/4/2020, 3:13:11 PM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is now 11 dead.  One in CA. now the rest in Washington State.  So far in VA we have had no cases. But we have already started distancing ourselves just in case.  Going to store tomorrow as the new grocery sales are out and they have meat on sale. Low on hamburger and only have 3 jars that I canned left. So stocking back up on that. Hoping to get enough to can a few jars. Would like to get at least 20 lbs. It takes about a pound per pint jar to can.  

Beryl that is some great info you put out there. Thank you so much. It's very helpful.  Didn't have time the past couple days to check it all out so hoping tomorrow I can check out the rest of those sites. 

• Like 3

ACK!  I was reading Dogmom's article about a cruise ship .....the CA woman who died was on it.  Disembarked and then the ship went to...HAWAII!  :runcirclsmiley2:

"The Placer County patient who died tested positive for the virus after taking a cruise to Mexico in February. After returning to California and dropping off passengers, the ship then traveled to Hawaii. It was scheduled to return to San Francisco this evening, but Newsom said the ship will remain offshore."   

:sigh:   ....don't know why I'm running in circles because HI is one of the vulnerable places....closer to Asia, and very international.  :pray:  will be better than that squirrely lil' guy up there....  :sigh:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   ...reading more....

• Sad 3

We've been washing our hands enough to wear the hide off!  But, using a medicated hand cream to sooth the skin helps a lot!  Into WM to put money on gas card, out to truck, wash hands with disinfectant wipes.  Into Menards to pay bill, out to truck...repeat.  Drive to Amish store #1...stop in bathroom and wash with soapy water, out to truck and repeat with disinfectant wipes.  Amish store #2...stop in bathroom, wash with soapy water and repeat the truck program.  Amish store #3...bathroom stop...back to truck for regular program.  Home, wash hands with hot soapy water.  Sort food that needed to go to homestead, home...wash hands again.  Fix supper and then wash dishes and clean the body!  Still sniffing the Oregano essential oil, taking Elderberry syrup, Echinacea, Vitamin C, Tumeric caps, Vitamin B Complex  and orange juice daily. We feel like we already eaten by the time we take our vitamins etc.!    :cele::24:

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2