MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

Our state has shut down visitors to at least one of the Veteran homes.  No visitors coming in and no patients going out.  Not sure what they'll do at the VA hospital though. It's just a precautionary measure to protect our vets.  Haven't heard anything yet about nursing homes...there's a LOT of them in this state! 

As before...we're taking the same precautions we'd take for any flu...with a little extra pitched in for safety.

• Like 2

I've been changing some patterns too....like WE2s.  I've been stripping off all clothes and tossing into the laundry.  Usually I wear a pair of jeans to town a couple times....cuz I'm not there long.  Not now.  And since I'm using my bandana for coughing into....using more and more laundry.  :shrug:   Seems prudent, right? 

Anyone else changing your patterns?

MtRider   :clothesline:    ....probably should air out my coat on the line too - in sunshine.

• Like 1

One thing to remember about the percentage of deaths in this COVID.....they have not got a lot of data on folks who have this but not too bad.  So they don't go to doc or the doc hasn't had the ability to test them.  In U.S. ....they were late in getting out [reliable] test kits and I think they're still playing catch-up.  So once more folks are tested .....including folks that are not just the very sick/dying ones....the death percentage will drop! 

:scratchhead:  Did I state that clearly??? 

MtRider   .....still, :pray: 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

https://www.glennbeck.com/radio/coronavirus-update-march-4th

I'm looking at the nice list of info here.  It's easier for me to figure out than listen to and read stuff right now.   

Disturbing:  Mutation: There May Be Two Distinct Strains of SARS-CoV-2, One More Deadly

Can't deal with Glenn Beck's distortion and outright lies right now, but the info I have is that the older strain, L, is much more deadly.  It was the only strain seen through about January.  Around then, people started getting the newer strain, S, which is much less deadly.  This has fueled discussions of it being a lab-bred virus.  

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 1

6,088 South Korea
3,089 Italy
2,922 Iran
706 Others (trapped on Diamond Princess)
331 Japan
285 France
262 Germany
222 Spain
159 US
90 Switzerland
85 UK
56 Norway
56 Kuwait
52 Bahrain
52 Australia
50 Malaysia
47 Thailand
38 Netherlands
35 Sweden
35 Iraq
34 Canada
29 Austria
28 United Arab Emirates
28 India
26 Iceland
23 Belgium
16 San Marino
16 Vietnam
15 Oman
15 Israel
13 Lebanon
12 Algeria
10 Ecuador
10 Denmark
10 Croatia
9 Greece
8 Czech Republic
8 Qatar
7 Finland
6 Romania
6 Ireland
6 Belarus
5 Pakistan
5 Portugal
5 Mexico
4 Senegal
4 Brazil
3 Saint Barthelemy
3 New Zealand
3 Azerbaijan
3 Russia
3 Georgia
3 Philippines
2 Saudi Arabia
2 Indonesia
2 Hungary
2 Estonia
2 Egypt
1 Lithuania
1 Cambodia
1 Argentina
1 Slovenia
1 North Macedonia
1 Monaco
1 Afghanistan
1 Armenia
1 Dominican Republic
1 Ukraine
1 Liechtenstein
1 Faroe Islands
1 Luxembourg
1 Andorra
1 Gibraltar
1 Nigeria
1 Chile
1 Morocco
1 Nepal
1 Jordan
1 Poland
1 Latvia
1 Tunisia
1 Sri Lanka

159 US breakdown:

45 confirmed Unassigned Location (Omaha) (Diamond Princess)

32 confirmed King County, WA 

14 confirmed Santa Clara, CA 

10 confirmed Westchester County, NY 

8 confirmed Snohomish County, WA 

7 confirmed Los Angeles, CA 

4 confirmed Cook County, IL 

3 confirmed Orange County, CA 

2 confirmed Fulton County, GA 

2 confirmed Grafton County, NH 

2 confirmed Hillsborough, FL

2 confirmed Placer County, CA 

2 confirmed Providence, RI 

2 confirmed Sacramento County, CA 

2 confirmed San Benito, CA 

2 confirmed San Diego County, CA 

2 confirmed San Mateo, CA 

2 confirmed Washington County, OR 

1 confirmed Norfolk County, MA 

1 confirmed Bergen County, NJ 

1 confirmed Berkeley, CA 

1 confirmed Boston, MA 

1 confirmed Contra Costa County, CA 

1 confirmed Fort Bend County, TX 

1 confirmed Humboldt County, CA 

1 confirmed Madison, WI 

1 confirmed Maricopa County, AZ 

1 confirmed New York City, NY 

1 confirmed San Antonio, TX 

1 confirmed Sarasota, FL 

1 confirmed Sonoma County, CA 

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ 

1 confirmed Umatilla, OR 

1 confirmed Wake County, NC 

11 deaths, 8 recovered

3/5/2020, 5:03:08 a.m. Eastern update

• Thanks 1

Beryl, are you finding any additional difficulty crossing borders?  Is there talk of restricting movement?

Edited by Ambergris

Dose anyone have info of a cruise ship in Greece, 2000 passengers and crew, yesterday people went out to I think Athens on day trip and was recalled back to ship early they were told there was a security emergency. Once all back on board Captain informed them a Austrian passenger who had disembarked 4 days ago had contacted Covid19 the ship is continuing the cruise but no-one is allowed off ship them were heading to Corfu next stop. Really hope they won't anchor at Corfu as Corfu has a small illequiped hospital.

My brother and his wife live on Corfu, he had a serious accident and had to be ferried off the island and transferred to a hospital in Athens for treatment.

So hoping all onboard stay healthy as my brother told our elderly mum that he is flying over too the UK in 2 weeks, she is excited she is seeing one of her son's, but , I am feeling apprehensive as my daughter and I have health issues, sister is diabetic her granddaughter was in hospital for 19 months she has short bowel syndrome after being born with intestines outside abdomen all but 4 inches if bowel had to be removed. 10 other family members are asthmatic, so want to keep this virus at a distance.

There are 90 cases of the virus in the UK there was a big jump in cases yesterday of over 30 cases.

More talk on TV on the virus telling people they don't need to panic buy. And to wash hands frequently with soap and hot water or if you are out use hand sanitizer ( there is a shortage of this product). Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or use crook of your elbow. We are being told not to shake hands or hugging people when greeting them. I have always ordered a little hand wave and a hi greetings.

I am hopping we all stay safe and well.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

We have been watching the cruise ships and trying to follow up on everything. We have extra precautions in place but still working on somethings. Our bedroom has a master bath and I am closing that off for DH. With his long history of health problems, I already know he will not survive this.  So fixing the bedroom up as it has a TV and I can put one of the computers in there on a tv tray for him to play games on. I have a chair in there and with a TV tray he will have a small table as well to use. It is not here in VA as of yet as far as we know going by what they say on TV but I am no longer taken any chances. I will have to take him to doctor next week for his heart check and then toward end of week for his allergy doctor. Hand washing is something he is learning to do very well now. Not just a quick run under the water and done. And lots of had sanitizer which I have 2 boxes of 48 bottles of.  Thanking the doctor I worked for  all this stuff when he retired. Never thought it would have come in handy like it has. Need to pull out a couple of more as I have almost used up the one in car and the one in my purse. Going to start having him carry one in his pocket as well from now on. Just in case he is not with me or something, he will have his on him. 

• Like 3

Another cruise ship affected this time Greece. Details rather sketchy at the moment an Austrian passenger that had disembarked has tested Covid positive 3 days latter. Passengers on the ship was visiting I think Athens, when they was told to return to ship because of security threat. Captain informed passengers and crew of Austrian passenger, the cruise is continuing though no one is allowed to leave. The ship is heading to Corfu next, Corfu has a very small hospital in the island.

my brother and his wife live in Corfu, a few years ago he had a serious accident and the hospital wasn't equipped to deal with his injury and he had to be taken too Athens via the ferry.

my brother is coming to the UK in 2 weeks to see our mum who is not in the best of health and is nearly 90.  She is excited her son is coming too see her soon and I am feeling selfish that I am hoping that ship doesn't stay in Corfu and that everyone will be healthy on board..

I hope everyone will stay safe and well here, feeling antsy at the moment, I don't drive so use public transport the amount of people who don't cover there mouths when they cough or sneeze is alarming.

An additional 36 people have been tested positive in the UK in the last 24 hours. Italy has decided to close schools and university for the next couple of weeks.

1at death in UK has just been reported it states that patient had medical problems and it is thought they have contracted virus in the U.K.

• Sad 1

230 US Confirmed Cases by City, Province/State

51 confirmed King County, WA 

45 confirmed Unassigned Location ( Omaha) (From Diamond Princess) 

20 confirmed Santa Clara, CA 

18 confirmed Snohomish County, WA 

18 confirmed Westchester County, NY 

11 confirmed Los Angeles, CA 

5 confirmed Cook County, IL 

5 confirmed Unassigned Location, WA  WHAT IS THIS

4 confirmed New York City, NY 

3 confirmed San Diego County, CA 

3 confirmed Unassigned Location, MD  WHAT IS THIS

2 confirmed Bergen County, NJ 

2 confirmed Harris County, TX 

2 confirmed San Francisco County, CA 

1 confirmed Berkeley, CA 

1 confirmed Boston, MA 

1 confirmed Clark County, NV

1 confirmed Grant County, WA 

1 confirmed Madison, WI 

1 confirmed Queens County, NY 

1 confirmed Santa Rosa County, FL 

1 confirmed Sarasota, FL 

1 confirmed Summit County, CO 

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ 

1 confirmed Umatilla, OR 

1 confirmed Williamson County, TN 

3/5/2020, 7:43:03 PM Eastern

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3,858 Italy
3,513 Iran
706 Others (trapped on Diamond Princess)
545 Germany
423 France
360 Japan
282 Spain
230 US
119 Switzerland
116 UK
94 Sweden
91 Norway
82 Netherlands
58 Kuwait
55 Bahrain
55 Australia
50 Malaysia
50 Belgium
47 Thailand
41 Austria
37 Canada
35 Iraq
34 Iceland
31 Greece
30 India
29 United Arab Emirates
21 San Marino
16 Oman
16 Vietnam
16 Lebanon
16 Israel
13 Ecuador
12 Czech Republic
12 Finland
12 Algeria
10 Denmark
10 Croatia
8 Portugal
8 Qatar
6 Azerbaijan
6 Romania
6 Ireland
6 Belarus
5 Saudi Arabia
5 Pakistan
5 Mexico
4 Palestine
4 Russia
4 Senegal
4 Brazil
4 Chile
4 Georgia
3 Saint Barthelemy
3 New Zealand
3 Philippines
3 Estonia
3 Egypt
2 Slovenia
2 Bosnia and Herzegovina
2 Indonesia
2 Hungary
2 Morocco
1 Lithuania
1 Cambodia
1 Argentina
1 North Macedonia
1 Monaco
1 Afghanistan
1 Armenia
1 Dominican Republic
1 Ukraine
1 South Africa
1 Liechtenstein
1 Faroe Islands
1 Luxembourg
1 Andorra
1 Gibraltar
1 Nigeria
1 Nepal
1 Jordan
1 Poland
1 Latvia
1 Tunisia
1 Sri Lanka

3/5/2020, 7:43:03 PM Eastern

• Like 1

There's a confirmed case a county away from my mom.  She said she was going grocery shopping tomorrow, but since I told her the bug was closer than Sarasota, her plan was to wear a mask and use sanitizing wipes on the grocery cart handles.  After a while, she agreed to try out the service where they deliver your groceries to the parking lot for you.

She's already on oxygen sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ambergris, if she is on oxygen then letting them bring her groceries to the car is best. And when she gets home to remember to use the wipes as well as she using hand sanitizer before opening the trunk of car where they open or close the door or trunk for her. Then wash her hands again after she gets home.  They are already selling out of bleach, hand sanitizer, wipes, and some other cleaning items. I already had 5 gals of bleach as we buy from Sam's and BJ's wholesale. 3 bottles to a box. But the last store I went to I saw a 1/2 gal and 2 quarts still on shelf so I grabbed them. With the confirmed case a county away she might still be ok if she goes tomorrow but might be time for her to try to bite the bullet and try to stock enough for a couple of months. Don't think this virus is going to slow down anytime soon. I think it is just getting started here in the USA and not enough test kits to go around. I have heard some hospitals are low on a lot of items as well as they are not catching everyone with this virus. there are people walking around that don't know they have it.  

My granddaughter just got to Washington state and I saw pictures from another site though an e-mail that the stores there are wiped out. I really am worried about them as they are just moving to that state. Hoping they can hit the  Naval store as they have nothing to get them through this. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
18 hours ago, Ambergris said:

info I have is that the older strain, L, is much more deadly.  It was the only strain seen through about January.  Around then, people started getting the newer strain, S, which is much less deadly. 

I've been seeing this since yesterday.  Let's see if I can add a diagram.

25530434-8073543-image-a-2_1583332676853.jpg

Trouble is....either I'm getting this mixed up OR different reports are coming out about this L and S thing.   As in:  Which came first?  Agreement on L being more aggressive.  :scratchhead:   Well, they'll get it sorted out in the next day or two, likely. 

MtRider  :shrug: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Ambergris.....you can add COLORADO to your list.  2 confirmed today.   :(   We're not coastal so it's just from people flying to and fro.  As you can imagine....a lot of chatter in my state today.  One is in Denver and one somewhere I didn't recognize.  Went back to recheck that town/county and the data was revised....didn't say anything about the two already in voluntary quarantine or the general locations.  <_<   I've been copy/pasting a lot of data so I can reference it again.  Didn't do that one.  It wasn't due to refresh data except on M-W-F.  :shrug:  

I've been kinda thinking tomorrow would be the last time we take my mom out.  She and I both need to go to thrift store.  I need T shirts without holes.  She wants jeans.  I know the thrift stores disinfect everything that comes in to them.  And hey, the stuff was not shipped from China recently... 

DH did his blood draw today for the doc appt. on 19th ...still 2 wks away.  :unsure:   Could do a phone conference with doc...mebbe?  But needed to do the blood draw in person....at the hospital.  Time to stop being in THAT bldg....unless you NEED them.  [btw, pray for him....his numbers are NOT good on many things.  :(   ]  He also picked up another supply of his meds today while 'in town'.

Don't know when we'll lock down....when DH will quit work for a while.  He's down to 2 days per week but restaurant means LOTS  of people from who knows where...?  And lots of exposure to folks' eating germs.  He might decide to wear gloves when he clears tables.  As it is, he's frantic to wipe his hands on the disinfectant towels constantly.  He's not healthy enough to get this virus!!!!

MtRider    :pray:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 4

It's in my town but not confirmed.  The hospital turned away three people untested because they did not meet all of the criteria for testing, but one of the hospital employees who observed them says they definitely have it.

• Sad 5

The newer one is the deadlier one?  Uh oh.  A lot can happen in that two weeks.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 1

US "confirmed" numbers

51 confirmed King County, WA 

45 confirmed Unassigned Location (From Diamond Princess) 

20 confirmed Santa Clara, CA 

19 confirmed Westchester County, NY 

18 confirmed Snohomish County, WA 

11 confirmed Los Angeles, CA 

5 confirmed Cook County, IL 

5 confirmed New York City, NY 

5 confirmed Unassigned Location, WA 

3 confirmed Harris County, TX 

3 confirmed Montgomery County, MD 

3 confirmed San Diego County, CA 

2 confirmed Bergen County, NJ 

2 confirmed San Francisco County, CA 

2 confirmed Summit County, CO 

1 confirmed Berkeley, CA 

1 confirmed Boston, MA 

1 confirmed Chatham County, NC 

1 confirmed Clark County, NV 

1 confirmed Delaware County, PA 

1 confirmed Floyd County, GA 

1 confirmed Grant County, WA 

1 confirmed Madison, WI 

1 confirmed Marion County, IN 

1 confirmed Middlesex County, MA 

1 confirmed Nassau County, NY 

1 confirmed Norwell County, MA 

1 confirmed Santa Rosa County, FL 

1 confirmed Sarasota, FL 

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ 

1 confirmed Umatilla, OR 

1 confirmed Wayne County, PA 

1 confirmed Williamson County, TN 

Total confirmed:  241. Total deaths: 14  Total recovered:  8

1 p.m. Eastern, March 6, 2020

6 hours ago, Ambergris said:

The newer one is the deadlier one?  Uh oh.  A lot can happen in that two weeks.

Yeah....I still confused cuz I've seen data both ways.  Not just what you and I have posted.  So....jury is still out...  Keeping an eye on this! 

"Lot can happen"   ....Agreed! 

Sorry to hear it's in your town, Ambergris.  :(  When do you and yours chose to stay home and SIP?   Can you work remote?  A question we'll probably all have to find our answers for soon. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

I do not have (and cannot get) the bandwidth to do what I have to do at home.  I can do about half to maybe three quarters of my work at home, but not all of it unless someone is willing to be my personal assistant and email me things I cannot access over the VPN.

• Like 1

Have not heard yet from my granddaughter in Washington State. I know they are really busy getting the furniture to house and getting things together.  Post office to deal with as well. Going to wait a couple more days and then contact her. Her mother has not heard from her yet either.

CDC Director:  State of WA is the tip of the spear for coronavirus in the US. You're now at the stage where we are beginning to see community transmission.   This is in from USA Alerts. Also from Alerts:  DoD deploys Crisis response force of 160 soldiers to San Ysidro CA and EL Paso, TX. to erect temp barriers at ports of entry + force protection for CBP.   They also state that VPOTUS: 21 individuals (19 crew, 2 passengers) on Grand Princess cruise ship near San Francisco test positive for COVID-19. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2