MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

Daughter lives about 15 minutes from me in next county.  She said no meat.  Very little fresh produce. She wanted bananas. No bananas.  Not much can goods either. She is going back tomorrow at different stores.  I told her 3 weeks ago to start stocking. This is what happens when you don't lesson to your parents. 

DH is now understanding why I stock food like I do.  He asked about the TP as I did not buy any.  Told him to go take another nap and he would never know.  My attic is full of paper products.  He now knows and understands about why people prep. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, dogmom4 said:

So my district has decided to close our schools until April 12. Lot of panicked people in my area.

I'm THRILLED that you won't have to go back into the Germ :ph34r:Factory....   :amen:     but....I hope the parents and employees can work around this mess!  :pray: 

4 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Yes, I noticed some states are missing.

Johns Hopkins site has been missing the red dot on CO on their map the last two days.  Overload of data?  Creeps trying to break the site?  ANYway....  Colorado...at this moment...77 cases and......  :(  first death.  80 yr old woman.  My parents are a decade OLDER than this woman.  Someone tell them to STAY HOME! 

MtRider     :behindsofa: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 4

Saw on world news earlier tonight some hospitals have tents up now for patients. CVS, Walgreen's and another place are setting up drive through for getting tested. You stay in car with windows rolled up. They have people in the hazemat suits come to window then you open window and they do the swab type test for the coronavirus. Don't know what states have set that up though. They did show pictures of it.

Right now our hosps. will not let any child into the hosp. at all under age of twelve and only 2 visitors are allowed in to see a family member for a short time.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

This is what happens when you don't listen to your parents. 

Riiiight?   :buttercup: 

......NOW DD2 decides to get more RICE?  NOW?  Two teen boys over 6ft2" and she doesn't have buckets and buckets of RICE?

MtRider  :ph34r:  Not sayin' a word....  {maybe} 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Dogmom, very glad you won't be going to school for a while. Just hope they have this under control before the schools open again. 

Need to check our area again, though I think James county not from  our city has 4 confirmed now. So only a matter of time.

4 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

Riiiight?   :buttercup: 

......NOW DD2 decides to get more RICE?  NOW?  Two teen boys over 6ft2" and she doesn't have buckets and buckets of RICE?

MtRider  :ph34r:  Not sayin' a word....  {maybe} 

Mt. Rider I know how you feel.  It took my daughter seeing it first hand when she went to store this afternoon.  I stopped saying anything 2 weeks ago and just prayed and took a wait and see approach.  Now she's out in the crowds trying to find stuff. 

• Like 2

I don't have the cool breakdown by country and state that Ambergris has, but... regular news is currently reporting 2110 cases in the US and 48 deaths. 😔 I know here in Oregon we're reporting 30 cases but I also know there's a LOT of people who are waiting to be tested.

Schools here have also been closed and currently are saying they'll be back in session on April 1st. We'll see.

• Sad 4

I didn't call DD2 either, Little Sister.  Was going to email but just waited.  She called us and was rattled.  That was before she knew her dh was NOT finding rice at Costco as we talked.  I found out from my mom who talked to her this morning.  Sometimes they're just not going to hear what they don't think they can endure.  BUT they are stronger than they think!  That girl and her sister experienced true hunger in their early childhoods.  They KNOW....but likely don't want to remember.  [They haven't been hungry since becoming our daughters but previous to that.]  Honestly, I can see how they would not WANT to believe that they'd ever have to go thru Hard Times again.  Been there....Done that!  SURELY I don't ever have to do that again!!!  :runcirclsmiley2:

I get that.  DH and I had one "hungry" time.  Not starving.  Not as bad as their time.

But.....they have the option to be proactive and NOT go thru that much stress again.  :sigh:  That's what I've always emphasized.  But she preferred to write her own script and there was NO MORE HARD TIMES LIKE THAT in her script for her life.  If I could, I'd write her script like that too.  :sigh:  

MtRider   Worse.....WE CAN'T STORE FOR THEM.  TOOO FAR AWAY.    :pray: 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Good article Snapshotmiki. I said a week or so ago that if it came down to reusing a mask I'd spritz it with bleach and let it dry in the sun. At least the people in the picture had masks.

Littlesister, the president mentioned about the "drive-thru" testing stations today.

Dogmom, I'm so glad to hear you will be off for awhile. The rest will do you good.

I'm in the same boat with my kid. I know they aren't prepping. I told him if they need anything to head out to my house. I took over some non-perishable food the last time I was there. Also toilet paper and tissues. Not a lot but they can have it all. Hope they like canned spaghettio's and beef stew. I have some canned veggies and fruit too. Worse case, I'll load up the Jeep from here and drive over. I can just make the trip on one tank of gas and if I don't drink too much, I can make the 5 1/2 hour trip without stopping for a potty break.  :rolleyes: 

G'son preschool is still open but they are in talks about closing. He is off on Mondays so I guess I'll find out Tuesday. I might have to go babysit. This is scary because DIL parents are a few years older than I am and her father is in poor health.

• Like 4

State of CO sent out notices to folks who are in the medical professions.  If you have let your license lapse in CO.....or if you have a license in a different state.....you can work in CO with a temporary permission during this crisis.  As long as you were/are in "good standing" .  We have a lot of military in the state.  Sometimes the spouse has a medical license in a different state and isn't currently practicing cuz they got transferred....again.

That's a good way to quickly increase medical personnel!

MtRider ......gotta get creative reallly quickly!!!!  :thumbs: 

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I can just make the trip on one tank of gas and if I don't drink too much

:008Laughing: Good thing we know you, Jeepers.....   and read the rest of the sentence. 

Denver has a drive-thru but .....too many!

I like that 1918 article, Miki!  I've been hanging things on the line for air and SUNSHINE...UV sanitation.  DH's work clothes till we can get them into the wash.  Newspapers, .....until it snowed today.  I did "porch laps" yesterday the whole time I chatted on phone with my MO friend.  Sunshine and moderate exercise.  Not boring when you're talking.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

LOL. I usually stop at McD's or B.K. and take along a big drink...of coke..a cola. I may need to reuse that big cup. I'm not going in the rest stop bathroom unless it's a dire emergency. Dire!  Wonder if there are any Depends left on the shelves.  :unsure:

• Like 2

I bought a couple packs from the thrift store!!  JIC, yanno. 

Yes folks,  please remember to BREATHE deeply - preferably outdoor fresh air.  And laugh with a loved one.

MtRider  :grouphug:    .......cyber hugs still allowed!!!  ;)   

• Like 5

Mt. Rider, wondering if they are going to bring in retired nurses in all states at some point in time. My nurses lic. expired 2 years ago. Don't think now I could go in to a hosp. and work with my issues. I would be a high risk and I also care for my DH.  

I hear people are out in full force in the stores today. Daughter said she needs to go back out for stuff. But it won't be till afternoon as she is volunteering at a wild life place till noon.  So she is going to be out of luck since last night she went to store and even the meat counter was wiped out. Told her to take grandson and give him a wake up call. He is 18 years old. While mom and dad were at work, he was bringing his friends in house and cooking up a lot of meat and then it would be in trashcan when they got home. Dad went off on him. So I think a trip to some grocery stores are in order and no friends allowed in house. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Daughter just got home from Volunteering. Now she has homework. So no food. She said she still will be doing homework tomorrow morning and then get school work ready for class next week. She went back to college to I guess volunteer as a wild life whatever. That's all fine but this is not the time to get tied up in this mess. So I am going to be taking care of her daughter 3000 miles away as she said she doesn't have time to help me get food packed to mail to her.  Yes that is my daughter. She comes before her kids. What can I say.

Should I just tell her when she calls begging for food, sorry I sent the extra to her daughter 3000 miles away and don't have anything left. She makes me so mad sometimes. Though I still love her. :gaah:

• Sad 4

Wanted to share an idea we had about storing up eggs.  We're missing egg-producing ducks now, cuz we use a lot of eggs.  Need for making things from scratch!!!  We used to store the plentiful duck eggs of summer in waterglass and, as most of you know, they last quite a few months.  Less than brilliantly....we just figured out to use that method to store more PURCHASED eggs.  :buttercup:     Cuz we don't have the fridge space to store a lot of eggs....cuz the stupid fridge downstairs freezes things periodically.  Not good for eggs to be frozen-in-shell.  [including link for anyone reading here that doesn't know about this]

https://www.incredibleegg.org/eggcyclopedia/p/preservation/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Water glass, a bacteria-resistant solution of sodium silicate, discouraged the entrance of spoilage organisms and evaporation of water from eggs. It didn’t penetrate the eggshell, imparted no odor or taste to the eggs and was considered to have somewhat antiseptic properties. However, it did a rather poor job at relatively high storage temperatures. Eggs preserved in a water-glass solution and stored in a cool place keep 8 to 9 months.

=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

So DH went to drop off our utility check in their drop box.  Put a received check into our account.  Got gas in car.  And did a quick Fresh Foods run....plus eggs and {chocolate}.  :shrug: 

Report for major grocery chain waaay up in the Rockies:  Store is getting quite empty and those shopping on Sat. had overly loaded carts.  One guy asked DH if he was just shopping for one meal....cuz it didn't look like he was overloaded.  THAT'S CUZ WE ARE REAL PREPPERS....NOT "HURRICANE/BLIZZARD preppers".   :ph34r:

When he got home I washed with soapy water, any packaging that's waterproof.  I changed packaging for anything that can't be at least wiped down with sanitizing wipes.  I save sturdy containers when they're emptied.....for purposes of repackaging other items.  [packrat with a purpose!]   Then washed my hands! 

MtRider   ... CO is up to 101 cases now.  :( 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

waterglass

Can't remember where, but I watched a video of a woman who was "testing" this method.  Her eggs didn't last very long at all.  She was very disappointed.  It may have been Bexar Prepper?

Just can't remember, it's been several years ago.

We store as many as we can in the refrigerator(s) and then we use baby bottle liners to put two whipped up eggs in, then in the freezer laying flat, then into a mylar bag and into our deep freezer(s).  Shared some with a friend last year while visiting, and I asked her "how do you like eggs that are 6 years old"...she busted out laughing...absolutely could not believe it! :24:

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, The WE2's said:

Her eggs didn't last very long at all.

As the quote from the article says.....waterglass doesn't work well in hot/humid climates.  Our basement area, however, remains nicely cool year 'round.  We have used waterglass for 20 yrs and it's great.  6-9 months tho as time goes on, the eggs get more watery texture.  Still fine for eggs and bacon for breakfast.  Of course we had farm fresh eggs to start with.....and now we're dealing with an undetermined age of store eggs.  We'll count on a few months less.

This method was voted # 2 after refrigeration by the testing of Mother Earth News staff. 

And best of all....it works without electricity.  We dropped ALL our eggs into the waterglass bucket before leaving on a 3 week wildfire EVAC.  They were fine ....we had worried if the electricity would be lost, how much loss we'd have with refrigerated items.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

Littlesister, I think it's a great idea taking your G-son to the store. They could give him a list of things to get like TP, hand-san, bleach etc. and see what he comes up with. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm enabling my son by telling him he can get things at my house. Mom will help. Ugh. Then I worry about them using my stuff for DIL parents. I really like those people a lot but my son and G-son come first. Sigh. 

Someplace you mentioned about sending cleaning supplies to your G-dtr. Sorry I can't find it now. But, when I sent baby supplies to pregnant DIL, like baby shampoo and lotion and oil etc. I first sealed them with my Food Saver. That way if they leaked they wouldn't make a mess on everything else. She said they arrived in perfect condition. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My great uncle served in WWI. He died of influenza during the 1918 pandemic. He was taken to the hospital, but it was full. The overflow patients were outside in the cold. That’s where he died.

I have been thinking about that quite a bit lately as I watch the news about CORVID-19.

• Sad 5

I just got the notice our county library and all of its branches will be closed from now until April 6th. but open March 17th. for voting. All fines forgiven. That's not my voting station but the elementary school is. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1