MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Miki, Orthro feet shoes are great. They are online and you can call and ask questions to your problem. they also carry the spirit brand shoes. I have planter's fascia and 2 bone spurs. Those shoes have saved me and now I can walk distance with no issues. They have special insoles that you can remove and replace if needed. Yes, they are pricey but do have sales. that is when I get mine or I will get them through One foot 2 foot through Medicare as being a diabetic I can get one pair of shoes a year and they use Orthro feet as well. They are a life changer for me. 

Cleaned up kitchen, mopped floors, and taking it easier today. Will measure bathroom windows in a bit to make the bathroom curtains. Should have already had that done but just been trying to get house back together.  So just the blinds at those windows till curtains are made.  Might do a bit of reading again this evening or watch a movie. Not sure which yet. GS is having a better week at work this week. Last week it seemed most of the guys were having issues with equipment and pallets. So, he's picking up and making up for last week's lost time. They get paid by the case they pull so much better week for him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Miki I have worn Easy Spirit and I really liked them. I have one pair that I wear sparingly because I can not find them any place now. I can find the style but not the color. I think they are called Romy. I have the white ones with a blue stripe but I really want another pair or two of the ones with a pink stripe only.  I have some Skechers that I got on sale (BOGO) and they are just okay. I wouldn't buy them again unless they were flip flop type. They cut into the top of my foot where the laces end. I have to wear socks that come up to that area or I get a blister. So many shoes only come in wide width now. I need a 7 or a 7.5 medium width. My go-to shoes are Nike. I think they are made for my feet. And I know they aren't P.C. right now. :sigh:

I can't find these in pink any more. 

image.jpeg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  @Jeepers My issue with Easy Spirit is that the older ones have great mid-sole support, but the new ones are either made with cheaper materials, manufactured at a cheaper place or both.  I tried on a pair of Romys with high hopes, but they are definitely not the same.  Sigh

After walking this morning, it will be a full day.

First to Piggly Wiggly for local sale.

Then to eye doc to find out why I still don't have glasses.  Supposed to have been 2 weeks and it's been over 2 months.

Then Walmart for a few things (read $50 or more)

Next Shoe Store to return shoes I bought last weekend.

Come home and walk dogs.

Pick up routine for at home therapy.

Bake cookies for get together tonight (already made just slice and bake)

Take cookies and myself to Bible Study Christmas party.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hope everyone feels better soon it's that time of year when all the viruses are out. I am getting ready for my trip leaving this weekend to visit my dad and my oldest daughter in Oregon. Taking just Ben with me and it's his first time on a plane so we'll see how that goes. I will be on vacation for two weeks, one away and then we come home on the 24th and I'll be out the rest of the year. I really need the time off so I am looking forward to it. I've been agitated and anxious all week due to money issues. The roof repair has fixed 90% of the leaking, but we think now part is leaking through the siding on the house (the leak is a porch roof) as we found a small wet patch just on the floor where the porch meets the old siding. So will have to bring the repair guy back but I'm running out of extra funds. Can still pay my bills but not room in my budget for extras. But I know I can't allow water to keep leaking into my house...so we will find a way to pay for the fix somehow. 

I am trying to focus on what I have to be thankful for and not on the mile long list of must fix items. Thankfully most of them won't hurt anything in the short term but I will have to work out a way to make them happen in the next few years (replacing all the old plumbing tops the list as its only a matter of time before something leaks).

• Like 5

Husband has been at his job for 30 years next year, so he had enough leave to take off from today through the first week of January.   So I have planned to get more/less done since he is home and able to help and watch the baby.  It is amazing how much more housework needs to be done when people are home instead of elsewhere.  I love him dearly but he is spoiled by me being a housewife and doesn't really know how to do basic things.  I am also spoiled by all the things he does.  

I have currently slept in and goofed off 3 hours past when I should have been up with the baby.   BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!

• Like 7

I counted my chickens and jinxed myself.  Don't do that.   Right after I posted my goofing off, DH fell in the laundry room and dislocated his shoulder.   The ER trip wasn't that bad, but he is in a lot of pain.   Picked up McDonalds for a late lunch and got baby down to nap.   DH decided to have a beer and play a video game...so of course he spilt it all over his keyboard.  Today is not a good day.  

• Sad 7

Dang Euphrasyne. That's rough!  First you and now him. You got ghosts tripping you guys up? Just kidding but...dang. 

I got a couple of errands done today. Got some bills mailed off. I went to the library because my card was in shreds. It was the laminated kind that goes on my key ring. The laminate part was nearly off and all curled up. I've ben putting off getting a new one too long. Unbeknownst to me, the library is celebrating their 100th. year anniversary and they had all kinds of pretty art work cards to choose from. Cool, except I had to pick one. Sometimes choices aren't such a good thing. I got a bright orange one that will contrast with my dark blue grocery card one. No more fumbling around for the right card. In theory. 

I went to the bank drive thru. They changed the machine. I couldn't figure it out. Naturally. I drove over to the teller with the tube. I told her my card wouldn't work. She said they have to be slid in sideways now. They could have posted a warning. So back around to the ATM. It worked but the cash dispenser part is way back and you have to remove your seat belt, open your car door and lean way out to be able to reach your money. That ATM is in the back of the building with no escape if you get trapped in the lane. I didn't feel very comfortable with my car door open leaning out to get my money. Sort of felt vulnerable. Open door also meant the car was unlocked, I think. They removed the nice open one I used to go to. I might have to complain about that. Since it's brand new, it probably won't change. Who designs these things!

I went back to the store for some more free cereal. They were out. No more free cereal for me. I was becoming accustomed entitled. :pout: I was being programed by free handouts. I was looking forward to those boxes of cereal. Got me hooked and then cut me off. They owe me that cereal. Uh-Huh. I see how it works. Disgruntled comes to mind.   :sheeple:

I was sort of funny before I caught myself. I went in and stopped and was looking all around in case they moved them. I'll bet I looked like the Exorcist with my head spinning around looking for that !#$% cereal. I finally got control of myself and got my bananas and high-tailed it out of there. I hope they don't have any more freebees. I can't handle the pressure. :008Laughing:

And while I'm at it, why do women go shopping in their pajamas? I get the comfy factor but most of the time, after shopping, they just look dirty. Especially with the hems dragging the ground. And do they go home in those dirty shopping pajamas and crawl into bed with them on? Just an observation. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I went to the bank drive thru. They changed the machine. I couldn't figure it out. Naturally. I drove over to the teller with the tube. I told her my card wouldn't work. She said they have to be slid in sideways now. They could have posted a warning. So back around to the ATM. It worked but the cash dispenser part is way back and you have to remove your seat belt, open your car door and lean way out to be able to reach your money. That ATM is in the back of the building with no escape if you get trapped in the lane. I didn't feel very comfortable with my car door open leaning out to get my money. Sort of felt vulnerable. Open door also meant the car was unlocked, I think. They removed the nice open one I used to go to. I might have to complain about that. Since it's brand new, it probably won't change. Who designs these things!

Most of the drive-up ATMs at the banks here are also like that. They are more suitable for someone driving a truck or an SUV so I avoid them like the plague! My bank still has a person at one of the drive-thru lanes so that is what I use. If they ever eliminate that convenience I think I would seriously consider moving my account to another bank!!! (Not really. All of the other banks only have ATM machines:( )

• Like 4

I know what you mean Midnightmom. I was in the Jeep and it sits up pretty high. I still couldn't reach the money slot while sitting in the Jeep. And I purposefully pulled up as close as I dared. Now that I think of it, the person in front of me was in a big truck and he was hanging out his door too. I asked the tube teller if she could give me the money from my ATM card and she said I'd have to fill out a form and show ID etc. Ain't nobody got no time for that.  LOL

The main problem is this new machine sets too recessed into the building, The other ATM I used to use sat out in the middle of a strip mall parking lot. It was all open and you could make a mad dash in any direction if you needed to. I wish they would have left it alone. At the rear of the bank, it's like when you are in a line at a fast food drive thru with no recourse to get out of the line. I need to find a new location without having to drive across town to another bank. 

I really love my bank except for that one issue. Maybe it's time to pull my "S" (senior) card on them. 

• Like 3

So sorry about your husband's shoulder Euphrasyne!

Jeepers I feel the same way you do about the drive up ATMs I never can reach and it's so annoying to have to unbuckle and open my door to reach them. I much prefer the walk up ATMs but my bank only has the drive up one. I wish they'd just put one inside the bank for self service I'd feel a lot safer. I rarely use cash but sometimes I need to get some. I usually just get extra with a purchase in the store when I remember to. 

I am flying to Oregon with my youngest son today to visit my dad and my oldest daughter. Its been a year since I visited her so I am really happy. Heading out to th airport in about 2 hrs and we will be flying back on the 24th. So it's going to be a different holiday since I never travel so close to Christmas. Hoping the airport isn't too crazy.

• Like 5

Safe travels, Becca_Anne and have a beautiful time with your daughter and father. And of course your son too. I hate air travel any time but especially over the holidays. Just give yourself plenty of time and a good book. Whether for reading or for puzzles. Also, lower your expectations. Stuff happens...roll with it.  Easier said...I know. 

• Like 4

Today I got up early, went to Lidl and discovered spiral sliced bone in ham for .95lb.  Max 2 it was advertised as 1.49lb but was on even better sale.  Got a few other odds and ends and am now reconciling my preps list with the fridge list.  Later we will clean and wrap Christmas presents while DH rests.  

They also had corn and green beans on sale 6/$2, stuffing .59 box, butter 2/$4, and sugar 1.69 per 4lb bag.   Hit them up if you have one near.  Those are really good prices right now.  

• Like 4

Euphrasyne,  I am so sorry to hear about your DH's fall.  Make sure he does some kind of therapy on it when he can as he doesn't want that shoulder to get stiff and end up with frozen shoulder. Trust me it's not fun to have frozen shoulder. Been there done that. 

Becca Anne and a safe and wonderful trip.  

As for Jeepers and Mt. Rider I hope that both of you are getting your issues sorted out. Both of you have had a rough time with colds and sleeping issues. 

I am just going around house and getting things put away. Putting the Christmas boxes back in shed till I need to take them out again after Christmas to get the decorations put away again. But that won't be till after New Year's.  Working on what food I am going to fix for Christmas dinner. Picked up a few things the other day at store, such as chips and frozen spinach to make spinach dip with.  Most of dinner will be coming from my pantry and freezer. Not spending a lot of money on food this year as it will only be 4 of us this year. It is playing on my mind again about looking to move closer to my DD but more into the country off the beating path. But no more than a couple of acres of land. Not sure of that much yet. But no less than an acre. Won't be making a decision on that until GS has moved out on his own and then see how things go.  May be a couple of years before I decide for sure as I want to get out of this rat race area before it gets much worse and that is coming. 

• Like 7

@euphrasyne, I hope your DH recovers quickly and completely!

Did very little yesterday besides Church and walk the dogs. Resting from helping friend organize for the 2 previous days.

Today, have already started laundry and made a couple of phone calls.
Set up my vitamins for the month.
Will make a sausage crescent roll bake at some point.
Cut up carrots for dog treats.
Write a bunch of drafts for shoes that I am selling (downsizing).
Therapy this afternoon for shoulder.
Rainy and not sure when or if I will walk.

• Like 5

Went to DH's cousin's house early this morning. Was going after church yesterday but they were getting ready to go out.  Took some collards I had in freezer from late 2019 or early in January of 2020 before DH took sick for his cousin and his wife.  These were the last of the collards DH had cooked at market before he got so sick. DH was the best collard cooker around here.  I've had them in the deep freezer for all that time and decided this year they needed to be eaten. So, I have one quart and now they have a quart to eat. He was really happy to have them.  His wife had made pies last night and gave me one. Peacan pie. Looks really good but saving it for Christmas.  Came home and started laundry and a bit of cleaning. Worked on what I am fixing for Christmas dinner. Need to pick up some meat balls and a few other things for the sandwiches. Got it all figured out now so just have to plan it all out like I want. Most of it will be coming from pantry and freezer. Just need to pick up around the house a bit today and then it is an easy day. Will hit the store tomorrow for the rest of what I will need and maybe a few other things depending on sells. Might head out to Lidl's later this afternoon. They have a fairly good sell going right now. 

• Like 4

Good morning!
I will start out making sweet potato treats (for dogs). I slice them in food processor and then dehydrate them in the oven. Takes a few hours.
Then write more ebay drafts on shoes.
Hopefully, it will stop raining by then and I can walk and then walk dogs.
We will start giving Oreo pills this evening to sedate him for tomorrow's vet visit.

• Like 3

Went to store this morning for some things for Christmas dinner. I was out of a few things that I only use mostly at Thanksgiving and Christmas but went to DD's house in NC for Thanksgiving this year and didn't realize I was out of certain things. Was going to wait till Thursday to go but was afraid being this close to Christmas that I might not get what I needed. So found what I needed, and most was on sale. I doubled up on the things that were on sale, so good for next year as the dates are through 2024. Though they would go past that date, it is only things I use once or twice a year. 

Taken a break now as it is too cold out to go walking for me. Just can't handle the cold and it's bad enough just walking from car to store before my hands start hurting. Though I wear gloves they don't seem to be helping as much this year. Might buy those heated gloves as I did get some for GS with him working in the freezers at work. But they didn't have any for women. So will be looking for some for me.

I do have to get some fresh veggies and fruit for trays but will wait till much closer to Christmas as the fresh stuff just doesn't last like it used to. Makes me wish I had a heated green house for the fresh veggies. But it is what it is.  Tomorrow I will start doing a bit of baking but need to find a good hiding place. GS loves when I bake and will sit and eat 2 doz. cookies in one sitting. He needs to get a handle on his sweet habit. Diabetes runs on both sides of the family, and he is heading in that direction if he doesn't get a handle on it now. I know he was deprived of food while living with his sister in Washington state. It wasn't so much his sister as it was her DH as he told GS that the food was his and he was not to touch it even though the rent he paid included meals. But he is with me now and is well fed. But I guess it is in the back of his mind that he might starve again and so he eats me out of house and home. I am thinking of maybe making up extra and only putting out enough for him a little at a time. That should keep him happy enough that he won't go looking for the rest. 

The funny part is I made goulash not knowing if he would eat it. I always leave him a note that dinner is in fridge, and he just needs to heat it up. I made enough for a few days for both of us. He has finished it all off in 4 days. So now I have something new he will eat. Made him spaghetti last night. And he has hit that hard. Normally I would put in single containers for me to pull out of freezer and heat up for me. But with him living here, I just put in corning ware dishes, and he comes home in middle of night and heats it up and eats what he wants and puts the rest back in fridge for the next night till it is gone. So, it works out and less cooking for me as well.

• Like 6

Today is my sons birthday. He was born at 4 am. Maybe that's why I woke up tonight.

We are supposed to get down to 5 degrees at night tomorrow with a daytime high of less than 20. Yikes! Windy too. I am only concerned about my outdoor taps and the possibility of losing a utility. I am glad I have no plans for Christmas this year. It would be rough to be traveling in this cold.

Has anyone else noticed how each year there are fewer and fewer Christmas cards?  I know I lose about 2 people every year to death but many just don't bother anymore.  I remember how many cards my parents used to get.  Huge stack and they were kind of antisocial!  This year I had 2 ladies over 90 on my list.  They are both exntended family. One of them is my DH's first sister in law.  She is 95 now and still a hoot.  Kind of funny that we are still friends since her sister and my hubby were divorced nearly 60 years ago. She is actually older than my parents would be if they were alive. If I make it that long I hope to still have my marbles.

I went to pick up my WalMart order at the correct time today.  It wasn't ready at 5 like promised and they said it would be a bit late.  Glad I didn't wait because as of now I still have not heard when it will be ready..or if. I know they are busy due to the expected weather and Christmas but his is not uncommon for them.

Ya'll stay warm!

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Momo said:

Has anyone else noticed how each year there are fewer and fewer Christmas cards? 

Definitely!  I still send quite a few out, but don't receive many back.  On a related note, one card I received yesterday had been opened.  I contacted the sender and she said it was just the card, but still...  And my DH's first wife is one of the few that still sends a card, actually her whole family sends cards.  She is still a good friend.  DH and she divorced about 35 years ago.  I didn't meet DH until they had been divorced a couple of years, but she and I hit it off.  I guess DH has a type.  LOL

This morning, I will walk first.

Then take Oreo to vet- he get a few more pills this morning so we can get him in the office (hopefully)!

Once home, I have shoes to clean up for photographs before listing for sale -6 pairs.

Water jugs to fill and freeze.

Therapy at 2 pm 

Church business meeting at 6:30.

Any other outside winterizing I think of.

• Like 1

The price of cards and stamps is prohibitive to many.  The stamp itself is .60 and even the cheapest cards are .10 each.  Nicer cards usually run .25 to $2 or more for photo cards each.   That is a lot of money for people to spend on something that will likely be looked at and then thrown away.   D-ex's parents were they type to send out cards and the massive photo letter describing their year in the terms they preferred.   I've never been a fan of editing my life for public consumption or wasting money I didn't have so I'm on the grinch side of Christmas cards.    That having been said, I do love to papercraft and I make beautiful handmade cards that I will hand to people I know or include with gifts.   I just don't want to send photos/letters/ or mail anything.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

Thank you Jeepers! We made it safe and sounds and the flight went as smoothly as could be hoped.

Euphrasyne that's a pretty great deal on ham! I probably would have called my DH to come buy 2 as well since he loves ham and these days you can't let a good deal go without making the most of it.

Littlesister- glad you have almost everything on hand for your holiday meal. I love spinach dip :) I am going with take out this year since I get back on Christmas Eve. It's going to be a bit different but I can't coordinate cooking the usual fare coming back so late at night. I will bake cookies though on Christmas day all the dough is in the freezer ready to go.

Miki how interesting do you cook the sweet potato before you dehydrate it for your dog or just raw? I wonder if my pup would like that I have been thinking of learning to make my own dog treats since she is a picky little thing and I don't think she should have the processed treats they make me nervous with who knows what as ingredients

Momo-  I have several Christmas Card exchanges I participate in because I enjoy them so much. I get almost no cards except a few people in the family otherwise. We send out a minimum of 10 cards to the people below you on the list and you can send to everyone if you like. So no one has to send out more than 10 and makes it more affordable but still get a mantle full of cards. 

Really enjoying this visit and time to rest without any responsibilities. I got the best news my daughter surprised me by letting me know I'm going to be a grandmother in May to a baby boy :wub: This will be my first grandchild so super excited!

• Like 4

Becca Anne I am so happy for you.  Grandbabies are a lot of fun. I have 5 and still waiting for great grandchildren. 4 of them are now all married but 2 said they are not having any children. The oldest didn't get married till she was in her 30's and just before Covid hit they were talking about having one and then they decided because of covid they weren't going to have any children. She hit the 36-year-old mark and decided it was risky. I know people that had children in their 40's with no issues but it is their choice. The one in Washington state decided they won't going to have any children and the oldest boy which is also my step grandson just got married a few months ago and he is military so that is a wait and see situation.  One that wants one that lives in SC, wants one but she needs to finish up on her PA degree first. So that will be another 2 years. The youngest said he is not having kids nor is he going to get married. Well, he's 21 and still has some growing up to do so subject to change. 

Taken it easy today. Just doing a few things around house today.  Sat. morning, I will be doing some cooking and baking for Christmas and then heading out to Church for the Christmas play Sat. evening. I hate driving at night when I have to use all back roads and driving with woods on both sides in one area, but it will be what it will be. Just don't like doing that when I am by myself at night. GS would go with me, but I don't know yet if he will be working. I don't think he will be, but I need to ask him when he gets up later for work. I know he will like it. He used to go with us when he was younger and loved it. 

• Like 3