MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

1 hour ago, Becca_Anne said:

As far as the tiny scraps, just scrape the plate into the trash it's just you. Anything else you can just take a small bit of paper napkin and wipe off the plate and then wash and you should be fine. As far as the TP just look up whatever brand you use to make sure it's septic safe most are but some don't break down so best to check. 

:scratchhead:     I've lived with septic for the first 18 yrs of life and the past 30 yrs....   Other than not putting down chemicals that will stop the enzyme eating process [or whatever it is ]   We rarely use bleach.  Don't use sink cleanser like Comet - tho I don't think that would bother.  I use SS scrubber on SS kitchen sink and hair from my hair brush with bar soap to polish the bathroom sink very clean.   I've never heard of any special TP.  We buy what is on sale.  Meaning not $$$ kind.  We've never had 'sink grinder' whatchacallit.  Dog does the job of pre-clean plates.  {with a few doggie exceptions like grapes/raisin/etc }     You do have to have it emptied  .....  but not often.  However, don't let a dripping faucet or "running" toilet go too long.  THAT will fill up a septic tank quickly.  { ask me how I know }  

Borrow a metal detector to see where any old cast iron pipes from septic tank runs the fluids across the yard.  Avoid heavy equipment running in that area.  Some are now plastic tho.  [isn't everything?]

MtRider   :offtobed:    

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 5

For most of our 60 years of marriage we have lived with a septic system  (And four kids plus foster kids) and the only time we had our stems pumped was when we were required to for the sale of the house.  My FIL swore by periodically putting yeast and sugar into them.  DH did that years ago but I don’t now.  I believe the real issue comes with the drain (or leach) field.  Ours is clay tile surrounded with gravel.  We have had water leaks, had the whole area flooded numerous times from hillside run offs, have two bathrooms being used now and ‘knock on wood’ have never had problems in 22 years.  If we do I’m sure it will be because of a clogged pipe,  it the septic.  We do use mostly t-paper marked ‘safe’ for septic systems but I don’t just indiscriminately put t- paper into it.  I toss most of my tissue into the trash. In the winter I sometimes use that tissue for starting fires. However, most organic matter will break down in a septic tank due to the established bacteria/microbes similar to a compost pile. Check on garbage disposals.  They might even be usable with a septic system.  I’ve never had one so don’t know but don’t you use them only for organic items? 

Septic tanks and drain fields, at least in our county, are sized according to the number of bedrooms in the house.  DH purposely had ours sized for an extra bedroom so it is probably larger than some.  I will say it’s a good idea to know where the drain field runs and where the clean out on the tank is located just to make it easier if you DO have to have it pumped. 

• Like 5

Felt like I had been beat up again this morning, so walked first. Recovering from the all day baking episode hasn't been as easy. Not sure I have actually made that many in one day either.
Set up DH's pills for the month.
Helped him through video appointment with VA.
I have a normal doc appointment this afternoon. I ate dinner about 2:30 yesterday, forgetting that I have to fast until after 1:30 today. Sigh, yep I'm hungry.
I have a haircut at 3 and then getting together with Bible study ladies this evening.
May make up some oatmeal cookie dough to put in rolls and freeze, sometime after the doc appointment.
Kind of long day.

@Jeepers, I sure hope you feel better soon!  Glad you got your shopping done while you could.

@Becca_Anne, I'm glad you got your greenhouse!  I've been considering getting one, but just have so much going on with DH, I'm not sure I would use it well.

• Like 4

Morning again!  I am moving a little easier this morning.

Will walk first and then walk dogs.

Am going to meet a friend for lunch, buy gas and grocery store for an orange for one type of cookies.

Make cookies this afternoon.

Take it easy the rest of the day!

• Like 3

Miki, glad you are starting to do better now.  

Jeepers I hope you are doing better with that cold now. 

Taken it easy today.  Will be baking cookies this evening after GS goes to work. If I bake them now, he will be in here eating them. Will hide them before he gets home in middle of night as he will also eat them then. he doesn't stop with one. He would eat the whole 2 doz. at one time. These I am baking for the cookie exchange at the pastor's house tomorrow.  

Will make GS some goodies after I get home on Sat. 

I think going out yesterday just wore me out. For some reason when I go out shopping for half a day, I start getting really tired. Guess not being able to get out over past 2 or 3 years got me out of the habit and it just tires me out easier these days. 

Will be doing some reading in a bit and then will walk the neighborhood as it starts warming up a bit. 

• Like 3

Today is DH's RDO so I paid bills, ordered the last few Christmas presents to ship, did a few financial chores, then we took DD2 to the park.  She had a lot of fun swinging and sliding and getting fresh air.   Small lunch out then home to clean my office and give the baby a nap.  

I'm gathering things because DD14 and I are going to get all the homemade stuff done this weekend.  We will make soap as gifts, fudge for Art club, some sweets for her friend giftbags, crochet a bit, and make a few other odds and ends.  It promises to be a very full weekend.  I'll try to get some pics for the DIY forum.  

• Like 5

Forgot that Friday is GS's day off. So got cookies made and hidden before he gets up. Yes, he is still sleeping. Dinner is in crock pot so he can eat when he gets up.  Got a bit of reading done but was too cold for me to walk the neighborhood.  Just can't handle the cold for that long.  When GS came home in middle of night with a turkey before Thanksgiving, he knocked off a support bar for the icemaker and a drawer that was beside that. Seems freezer was not closing at the bottom, so I had to empty the freezer into cooler and defrost a self-frost freezer. Door was not closing at the bottom and so ice built up. Got the support bar back on and got freezer defrosted. So just have to get food back into the freezer. But at least the worse of that is done. It is cold in that garage.  Been a slow day today.  Just not in mood to do much today. Tired again.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good morning!
Will walk first.
Drop off a few banana breads.
Go shoe shopping. Not fun, but as much as I walk, they have to fit and have support.
This afternoon, either make more cookie dough or take ebay photos.
Sit outside with pups while the weather is staying like late Spring.

• Like 3

Got to quilt guild today it was our Christmas party so we had a nice luncheon and also played some fun games. Then came home and made gingerbread dough. Put half in the fridge to chill and will bake that tomorrow and half in the freezer to bake on Christmas. I'm flying out to visit my dad and getting back Christmas eve so I wanted to make some goodies to leave for my hubby and older son who will be here alone that week so they have some treats leading up to Christmas day. I also need to wrap gifts this weekend. I am making one or two more types of cookies this weekend but I think I may just leave it at that and make some others after Christmas if I feel up to it. I took that week off too so will have time to relax and bake. That's my whole plan for the weekend just relaxing and enjoying the lead up to the holidays

Also happy to report the roof and window repairs are completed as well as the threshold to the door is replaced so making progress on the house but will hold off until the new year with anything new

Edited by Becca_Anne
  • Like 4

Went to the cookie exchange at pastor's house this morning. It was so much fun. I really needed that as our church hasn't done anything like this before. But this is a new pastor, and his wife is so down to earth. You can tell they are from the country. Then when I got back to my end of town, I went to 3 of the specialty shops around where I live.  One of the stores, the Knot Hole, gave me a poinsetta plant and also a $30.00 figurine. It's a bear. They are selling a collection of them and these that they are giving away are from the 90's. But that doesn't matter, it's cute and free. Left there and went to the other two places to pick up a few Christmas gifts. So now to get gifts wrapped next week. 

Church tomorrow then home to clean up and finish decorating house. Not doing much but need to get it finished. 

• Like 4

Went to Church this morning and then came home, had lunch and then read a bit. So didn't get anything done I said I was going to do other than make some cookies for GS. He grabbed some on the way out to work and when he gets home those will be eating.  That boy can put away food like it grows on trees. Just wish the money tree would produce money.  Trying to get him to eat fruit but he will just pick at that. But did get him to start eating some oranges. Though I don't think that will last long. 

Tomorrow is another day so will finish up housework and other things tomorrow. I think now that the weather is starting to stay colder, I am just trying to get used to it as well as the fact it gets darker so early now. That is the one thing I hate about this time of year. It's just after 5pm and already dark outside. I think that is why I am staying so tired right now. Hoping it will change soon.

• Like 4

I have some updates but ....no time right now to stay on the computer.  Mebbe tomorrow. 

Yeah, what Mother said:  Jeepers?  You okay.  Or is she in Indy?

Hope you can find shoes your feet will like, Miki.

Have good trip, Becca Anne.

LittleSister....you gotta teach that boy to cook/bake.  Maybe he'll figure out how to support his appetite without take-out and junk food when he's on his own.  OR....ya might have to wait for a bit more maturity?   LOL   We've all been there. 

MtRider  ...fine but I have a new bedtime routine to TRY TO SLEEP normal hours.  :offtobed: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Glad you are working a new sleep routine, Mt Rider!  I hope it works for you.

I am wearing my new shoes now so we will see.

Hoping for a regular Monday here.
Will walk first.
Do laundry.
List an air fryer that I don't use on Market place.
Make cookie dough.
Sit out with pups again while weather cooperates!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm finally starting to feel better. It's been kind of rough considering it's just a head cold. I was starting to get a little concerned about the sore throat. It is killer! I heard strep throat was going around and I sure didn't want that after I consulted with Dr. Google.  :rolleyes:  It described most of my symptoms except I didn't have a fever. I still have a little bit of the cold but I can tell it's getting better. I have a lot of runny nose and sneezing and a pretty bad cough. My coughs are never productive so it's lingering. I'm just describing everything incase y'all get sick you'll know what it is. I took a lot of OTC meds starting with Zicam gummies and Vitamin C. Also orange juice etc. Some of the meds made me sleep and I was thankful for that. Except for the snoring.  :blush:  Mostly I was thankful that it wasn't intestinal or stomach related. I don't know much that has been going on. I slept through most of a week. 

I've been pretty disgusted with Amazon this year. I ordered some Christmas gifts on November 28th. that were in stock and I still haven't received two of them. I keep getting notices where they are changing the delivery date. That is on a number of items I ordered not just for Christmas. On two things they just cancelled the order. It wasn't like I waited until the last minute. One thing is supposed to arrive Wednesday and the last thing SHOULD get here December 21st. I wanted to go to Indiana around the 18th, but now I have to wait until probably the 22nd. That's cutting it pretty close. I heard things were supposed to be slow like that this year. So much for two day shipping.  I have other things I can scrounge up so I'm not in a panic. I have toys at the Indy house I can pull from. But I didn't want to wait this long to go over. Hope the roads will stay clear. 

All I've done is sleep and watch Youtube or movies for the past week so I've got nothing. Should probably check for bed sores. :mellow:  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Jeepers, glad you are starting to feel better now.  You might could try Mucinex to make that cough more productive. 

Mt. Rider, I really hope and pray that the new sleep pattern works for you. You have had a rough time of that. 

Miki, glad you found some shoes and hoping they work better for you.  When your feet hurt it seems your whole-body hurts.

I got a phone call from the Knot Hole last night.  I won the drawing for a gift certificate.  They already gave me a poinsettia and a bear that sits on a shelf.  And now I won the drawing for a gift certificate on top of that. I never win anything. Maybe it's an omen to play the lottery. 

I finished up the decorating and working on getting gifts wrapped. I feel I am very much behind getting everything done. 

Will sit down tonight and finish the Christmas cards that have to be mailed out.  Took the ones to Church yesterday and put in the cubbies for people to pick up. Just got to get the ones for the mail done.  

Tomorrow, I need to head to the Knot Hole to pick up my gift certificate, then back home to do some more cleaning and getting a few more things put away. I really want to get my office and sewing area fixed up but can't do that till GS has his apt. as the old kitchen table is in living room right now and will be going with him to his apt. So can't move things around like I want till then.

• Like 4

Decided to go to Knot Hole and pick up gift certificate this evening. I need to get back into the habit of night driving. So got that done. Shopping trip at Knot Hole in the making. 

finished cards and are now in mail.  Just need to finish wrapping gifts and check if anything I missed. 

Cooked chicken and rice for dinner. So, GS can just heat and eat. The little brat won't cook him anything when he gets home in middle of night. But he is finding out when I don't cook there is peanut butter and jelly.  He will learn and yes, he knows how to cook chicken, rice, steak and porkchops. He won't eat veggies and they are just a heat up item. 

• Like 2

Will walk first.
Drop off jeep to mechanic who wants to check something.
I have an therapy evaluation for my rotator cuff. They are supposed to show me some exercises I can do at home.
Come home and walk dogs.
Clean soles of shoes I bought recently so I can return them. Sigh Not enough support for as much walking as I do.
Make the last of the cookie dough. Yay! I'm tired of cookies! These will be white chocolate maple hickory nut cookies.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This morning I put air in tires to the cart I carry wood to garage in. Then went out and bought a huge pile of wood to garage. Yesterday I had already loaded the one in house by stove up, so ready for any bad weather coming our way. Then went to store to get a loaf of bread and a few other things I needed for Christmas day that were on sale.  Came home and washed sheets and deep cleaned my bedroom. Got the rest of those boxes emptied and things put away. It's slow going but almost there. Washed clothes as well. So pretty productive day but my lower back is killing me right now. I'm not as fast as I used to be. There was a time I could deep clean this whole house and have dinner on the table. Can't do it anymore. So, I just take it one room at a time. Got the rest of the Christmas gifts wrapped and out of my bedroom and under the tree. Only have a couple of things to pick up and take GD and her DHs to the post office to send by certified mail. I decided to give them a gift certificate they can use anywhere for what they need as her DH is getting out of military by end of this year and they are a bit nervous about money. So that will help them out. I would rather do that than send a gift that won't help them with their struggles. She said they want to stay in Washington state as they love it there, but it is expensive, and I can't help them being that far away but so much. 

• Like 4

Jeepers...I've been TRYING not to let my cold actually settle in.  With our herbal magic via my chiro DH....we rarely get anything.  But I've chased this off x2 already and this morning I woke up feeling sick!   Doubled down on our herbal pills and feel better this evening.  My cough is going from non-productive squeak...to semi-productive.  Drat!   Really don't need a round of bronchitis.  I've had my share of that for this decade!  I spoon a mixture of honey, raw ground ginger [in jar], and Real lemon juice...straight.  But just a few tiny sips dumped to the back of my throat with a teaspoon.  Shuts down sore - swollen upper throat area.  I'm battling swollen glands....nearly constantly. 

My sleep woes made me more susceptible to illness, of course.  BUT I've had some success.  2 of the past 3 nights have been sleep at normal time!!  :woohoo:  FINALLY!  The 2nd night was my own lack of self control....got to THINKING about stuff and didn't shut it down.  :busted:    If I'm laying in bed...close to sleep and brain starts THINKING, I've been slowly counting.  Not  :sheeple:  but just casually counting in my head.  Shuts off other chatter.  :happy0203:

Life certainly IS a challenge right now.  But I'm working on some basics that I'd need if the hooey ever hits fan.  Sleep deprivation would make everything harsh!

MtRider  ....good luck with SHOES, Miki.  :( 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

good luck with SHOES, Miki. 

I'm sure trying!  Won an auction for the ones I am looking at on ebay.  

This morning, I will try to walk before the storm hits.

I have 13 pairs of shoes (mostly Easy Spirits) that I will work on cleaning up and photographing to sell on ebay.   I'm sure I didn't pay more than $3 for any of them (at thrift stores)

Shred cheese--to cheap to buy pre-shredded.

Some paperwork to fill out for therapy on shoulder.

I would like to write drafts on some of the shoes, but if there is thunder and lightning that will be out.

Business meeting tonight at Church.

Staying home is nice!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3