MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

On 12/17/2022 at 6:49 AM, euphrasyne said:

Today I got up early, went to Lidl and discovered spiral sliced bone in ham for .95lb.  Max 2 it was advertised as 1.49lb but was on even better sale.  Got a few other odds and ends and am now reconciling my preps list with the fridge list.  Later we will clean and wrap Christmas presents while DH rests.  

My Safeway had the shank half on sale for 99c/lb - not spiral sliced like yours. Also, like yours, there was a limit of 2. Since that was a "member" price (aka, "loyalty" card) the cash register-computer keeps track and you can't get more than allowed. UNLESS, you are in the store and they don't have any in stock so you get a "Rain Check," but then you go back the next day - after they've restocked - and get your "limit."  When you present the "Rain Check" - best done after the sale is over - you can still get your "limit" as written on it. :hapydancsmil:

• Like 4

Midnightmom, there is a way to get around that. DH got his loyalty card at all the stores, and we had 2 cell phones and our house phone. I used my house phone, and he used my cell phone. So, we always went our separate ways, and he got the limit, and I got the limit. Now with DH gone. I use his card and go back the next day. So far it is working great. We did this for years with no issues. And with buying for the food ministry. It always came in handy as well.

• Like 4

I picked up my friend and went to Walmart at 7:30 this morning before the crazies came out. Got everything but frozen green beans (for dog treats).
We now have a small tent to put up in the living room if we lose power again.
Cooked sausage and scrambled eggs for DH breakfasts.
Sliced up carrots for dog treats.

It is up to 56 now and down to 15 tonight. Already got towels out to wrap faucets.

Going to find something else to do shortly.

• Like 2

Thanks Miki I'll have to try that I think my pup would like that for a treat. I want to learn how to make my own dog biscuits too 

Big storm at my house, they are all tucked in for the show. DH says its snowing there. Should have blown through by the time I fly back thankfully!

• Like 3

Wow, Becca Anne. Seems there is snow everywhere but here.  My GD in Washington is expecting more snow tomorrow. We are going to have a freeze tomorrow and I have to go out tomorrow. Rained here all day. But did warm up a bit. Christmas day for the high will be 31* Glad I don't have to leave the house to go anywhere for Christmas as kids are coming here along with my grand dog. DD is babysitting my GD's dog in SC as they are going to her DH's grandfather's house in New Orleans for Christmas as he is not doing well. 

I didn't get much done today as I got up at 5 am and cleaned up some and got so tired I laid down on couch turned on tv and fell asleep. Didn't wake up till almost 3 pm. I have never done that before. Must have been extremely tired or things are just catching up with me.  A little while ago here comes fire truck and ambulance. They took my next-door neighbor to ER. He is not looking to good and hasn't for a long while. But he walked outside and got on gurney. So that was a good sign. I'm tired of losing my good neighbors around here. We are all getting old. Can't tell you how many friends I have lost over the past 10 years. One of my neighbors came over for a bit early evening. We haven't seen each other in a while so we had a good time catching up on things. She is a caregiver for her FIL. He has dementia. And I have been so busy getting the rest of house back together that I just haven't gotten out much to visit neighbors. This neighbor and I look out for each other. If one of us needs help the other is right there to help out. 

Need to get things finished up for Christmas tomorrow. Baking cookies, bread and cakes for gifts for a few neighbors tomorrow and getting the rest of things together for Christmas dinner. Saturday evening, I am heading to church for the Christmas candlelight service. Will be driving home after dark which I don't like to do by myself, but it is what it is. Hoping to get my GS to go with me. Not sure of his schedule yet as it is his day off but because of Christmas and such I don't know yet if they will have them come in for a short time. But I really don't think he will be working. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

Thanks Miki I'll have to try that I think my pup would like that for a treat. I want to learn how to make my own dog biscuits too 

Big storm at my house, they are all tucked in for the show. DH says its snowing there. Should have blown through by the time I fly back thankfully!

I used to .ake some  that were just pumpkin, oats and a little  honey. Not sure if I baked them or not. Safe travels  home!

• Like 2

We got a bit cold here from this weather front but not too bad for CO mts.  Had sunshine B)  and zero wind today.  I didn't even take the basket of clothes down the stairs tho.  :faint3:    Just not feeling up to much yet.  This too, shall pass.

Had good time talking with my life-long MO friend.  And with college MN friend.  She's locked in house cuz MN is getting very cold...add windchill....snowing.....

Y'all be safe out there!  :grouphug:

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

.add windchill.

2 degrees here with windchill!

Good morning! It's 16 degrees now which is definitely not normal Southwestern Mississippi weather! Supposed to get up to 26 for a high.

I have plans to clean up shoes to sell.
Clean baths and dust.
Put deer sausage, bell peepers and onions in crock pot for dinners.
Walk dogs later if wind dies down a bit.
Stay warm!

• Like 3

I woke up to 7 degrees but looks like no water leaks or any problems. The wind has died down a good bit. The stray cat made it through the night.  I fixed him a heated bed in the garage.  I don't know if he used it or not but he was his old chipper self when he came by for his breakfast. I watch out for him but I don't want him depending on me.  I could end up dead or in hospital at any time.  I know he can mouse and we live on a lake so he can always get water.

I don't have any plans  today except to stay home and warm.

• Like 7

Went to Kroger to finish up things I needed for Christmas.  It is now 45* here.  But is supposed to drop much colder today. Wind started picking up bad when I left the store. Sounds like a gale wind going. I need to go out and lay the trash cans down before they blow away. They are empty so no weight in them to keep them from blowing. Just ran out to lay cans down. The temps are starting to fall. Also looking like rain again. 

Going to start baking soon and get most of that done.  Bread, pies, cookies, etc.  So will be very busy today and tomorrow. GS is going to clean bathrooms and mop for me later today. He didn't get to bed before 6 am. So is going to do it when he gets up after he eats something. His dinner is already for him for this evening. Just has to heat it up. 

Mt. Rider, I hope you start feeling better very soon. Keeping you in prayer.  

And for everyone that is traveling prayers are going out for a safe trip to your destination and back home again. 

Stay warm everyone as these temps. are going into dangerous drops.  This weather is bad for the elderly and small children. 

GD in Washington got more snow, but I think she said just an inch more so far.

I want to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I felt better today.  Didn't have to use the quad cane...or more....to walk.  EVEN walked the dog down driveway to feed and lock in the ducks/geese.  Walked dog on road.  Attached the child's sled to dog's collar  body harness and she pulled up the sled and empty 5 gal water jug with no complaints or drama.  I pulled it going downhill....and it was full for the bird's nighttime water.  Warm, even.  They are water birds. 

I spent time in the sun on the porch picking out around 1,000 sharp stickers from the dog's sweater.  That took a while but I only poked my finger a few times.  Have gotten the knack of those stickers thru the years.  She REALLY had a mess of them! 

Made burgers and boiled up the last of the fresh green beans.  It's the end of DH's working ....and by Friday he's kinda worn.  Otherwise he usually cooks.  Today....I felt mostly okay.   :amen:

Also did load of laundry...bringing it down stairs and up.  All put away except things I don't put in dryer.  I actually had to improvise more cords and clothes pins in the tiny bathroom.  Too cold to dry on the porch clothesline.  :clothesline:    Helps with moisture too.  Seems like I've been on the phone with friends all week.  That's been very nice to chat!   

MtRider  :offtobed: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

Cold weather but warm wishes to all for a Merry Christmas! 

Chainsaw Mary and I survived our Christmas display marathon (3 weeks of putting up, running electricity, and etc and we have 60 lit displays, a full set of roof & fence lights which are set to music and blink on and off in time to the tune playing.  Whew!  Then on to the cookies (another 2 weeks) but we got all the cookie trays out and delivered by the day before yesterday, when we switched over to hardening the critter quarters for the coming arctic cold snap.  Oh excuse me, the SIBERIAN cold snap....

We insulated the goat shed, and windproofed it with a huge blue tarp folded over and around (like a giant Christmas present) and secured it, with one corner farthest away from the winds, opening up to a vestibule to let them in.  They were so curious, following us around like little kids (lol, now I know where that name for children came from) and had no problem learning how to get in and out happily.  We filled the bed up with nice fresh soft straw, and the eating annex with nice fresh hay to munch on if they did not feel like going out to the hay rack.  We checked it this morning, and it is much warmer inside than it was.  Mission accomplished there....l

The chicken house we reinforced by adding extra insulation and a wind break layer along the bottom where the greenhouse meets the ground to stop any wind coming in there.  We put in a large, wood box with low sides (an old cornhole game flipped over was just the right size) filled with nice new wood shavings, to insulate them from the cold ground, filled the next boxes with fresh straw, and, last but certainly not least, dug out the heat lamp and suspended it from the greenhouse frame, makin sure if it did swing around some it would not cause a fire :runcirclsmiley2:  When I checked it at midnight tonight, it was a good 10 degrees warmer than outside, and more importantly no wind was getting in.  Chickens were making happy chicken noises, and nestled together in their ground box.  It was nice to warm up my hands after feeding my clowder of cats, plus one visitor who decided to stay, dubbed So-Jo (short for "Sojourner"). 

I am supplementing wet cat food feedings with warm buttered rice which they seem to enjoy for extra calories to help with the colder weather.  We made sure there were plenty of cat shelters in our various sheds, carports, and some outdoor ones we made by moving around items to form windbreaks with roofs for the more outdoorsy kitties.  Weare bringing the outside dog in for the cold nights, he has no house built yet, but is happy to sit in a crate in the warm living room.  Usually he loves to sleep outdoors, watching over the goats and chickens (and he takes his job  VERY SERIOUSLY, too) but when it storms or is this cold, everybody goes in their houses, so he comes in too.  And yes, we have the water trickling...down here in the South they do NOT bury the water pipes very deeply at all so we insulated them and keep a trickle going which keeps the pipes from freezing.  Gennys are full of gas and batteries are charged.  So we are ready as we can be.

BTW, we delivered the genny we bought to our friends for Christmas a little early in light of the pending storm. 

Both are disabled, and neither one could use a pull starter (even if their grown children had not borrowed their generator and returned it broken)  So when we spotted a sale we got them a genny that comes with wheels and a handle for easy moving, and a remote controlled electric starter, so they do not have to go outside except to plug things in.  Its big enought to run their heat, fridge, freezers, and stove, as well as a few lights and TV so the sale was a no brainer (price was $500 reduced)

The look on their faces when we delivered it was worth all the effort (we got the last one they had; and that baby was HEAVY!!!)  The husband had the time of his life helping us put it together, set it up and calibrate the starter, and doing a test run.  We stayed for dinner that night, and had a very good time with our old friends.

The armadillo that keeps tearing up our yard is our new years project....we have a trap with his name on it....:baseballbat:

I offered to cook it, they are supposed to taste like pork, but Chainaw Mary declined.  She says vultures need to eat, too.  They are bad this year.  She just wants it GONE.    

We are both looking forward to January, when we can put up our feet and catch up on some inside stuff.  Mary wants to learn how to knit...fortunately I learned to knit left handed...perfect, as she is a lefty. 

Im going to try to teach her how.  It should be interesting, as I might be a good teacher, but I hate knitting, LOL.  (I just learned in case I needed to make socks and mittens one day.) Crochet or tatting are more interesting to me.  Small projects.

So Merry Christmas to everybody, and lets see what the new year brings.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 8
4 hours ago, kappydell said:

Cold weather but warm wishes to all for a Merry Christmas! 

Cold here, too!  Water pipes frozen here, but not broken ( I hope).  We did everything that we normally do, but it's been colder for longer this time.

All I have planned for today is to wash dog blankets.

Sweep house.

Take photos of shoes for ebay.

Make cheese grits (because I want them) and prep a casserole of some type for tomorrow's breakfast.

Easy day!

• Like 3

Kappydell, glad to see you on here.  You have really been busy. Would love to see your Christmas decorations. I know they are really pretty. You and Mary put in a lot of work on that. And getting all the animals and such fixed up with protection from this frigid cold weather.  My GS that works frozen foods and moved here from Washington state where they are used to this type of cold. Came in yesterday and said its freezing out there. So that is cold. Wind chill is -3. Been many years since we had that. 

Got the rest of things done for tomorrow. And now just taken it easy for a bit. Made an apple pie for SIL. He loves apple pie. So got to keep him happy. GS should be getting up shortly and then he will eat and start cleaning up. Though I have done some of it. But he will finish that for me. I told him the other day to give me a list of things he wants or needs from store. He left it for me on counter this morning. Too late now. Not going back to store. But most of what he put on list I already have. Guess I need to teach him how to check inventory. He's learning. 

• Like 4

Merry Christmas!
Got up at 5:30. DH and I opened presents. Made biscuits and gravy casserole.
Going to wash dog blankets this morning.
I have a friend coming over at 11:30 for lunch with us.
Cook a take and bake pizza.
Walk dogs- maybe.
Relax!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since my previous post:

First, (and I say that for a reason) the central heat/air unit has died and since we have water, I washed dog blankets. Apparently, the drainage pipe going from washer is frozen and the floor flooded. So, the floor is nice and clean now. That was 2. Waiting on #3. Kinda thinking the electric will go out, but hoping it will be something smaller. Sigh.

Merry Christmas anyway, since Christmas has nothing to do with my little drama!

• Sad 6

Merry Christmas everyone! I got home safe and we celebrated a bit later than normal but it was a lovely relaxing day :wub:

Miki so sorry about the flooding but you made the most of it! Hope that nothing else goes wrong and the drain pipes unfreeze soon and don't burst!

Stay warm Littlesister :hug3:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Miki, hope that is all that happens.  I know it is frustrating to have those things happen but is beyond our control.  But you made the best of it and things went well. 

It was of course very cold again today so had the wood stove going and a pot of coffee on it to keep warm. SIL stayed by that stove for a long time. And we all enjoyed the hot coffee. Lucy my GD's dog stayed away from it as I was a bit worried, she would get too close to it and get burned but she did good. DD was babysitting her while GD was in New Orleans. I don't have any great Grandchildren yet, but I do have 7 great grand dogs and 2 great grand cats.  They will be back sometime Wednesday afternoon. They all left this evening as SIL has to go back to work tomorrow, and DD is off for a couple of days. GS goes back to work tomorrow as well.  I am tired but just can't sleep now. That happens when I get overtired. 

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and that everyone traveling made it safe to their destinations and will return home safe and sound. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Talked to both DDs today.  :) 

Had an extra dog appear at the duck yard [outside..it's high chain link]  Friendly Border Collie.  Couldn't shoo him away so put him in the 10'x20' chain link dog run.  Called the numbers on his collar tags.  Gave him water/food.  When wind came up, I spent quality time DIGGING OUT a currently unused  large plastic dog crate.  Put heavy blanket on top and a pad inside.  Left the door off so he could go in/out.  Food.  Water. 

Not too long after, I looked out the bathroom window in time to see him running up the hill, outside of the goat's fencing [currently dog yard]. 

???  :scratchhead:  ???   How'd he get out?  Border Collies are quite agile so must have used the dog crate as a launch and climbed the rest of the chain link. 

I'd notified the uphill neighbor since she seems to know everyone around us.  So I left her a second message that he'd escaped and was heading uphill to the next road ...that she lives on.  Then I grabbed boots and ski pole [aka: walking stick on these steep mountain hills].  Enough snow to track him till I got to the OTHER neighbors house...the one with the young obnoxious gal.  There were other dog tracks mixed in so I just went back down to my house.  About an hour later, a woman called me....thanking me profusely for my actions to let neighbors know and for hosting him ...for a while.  We laughed as we exchanged stories of this dog's escape tactics.  They'd been elsewhere for Christmas and she was so glad not to come home to missing dog.  Cuz my uphill neighbor had called everyone to be on the lookout and another lady up there recognized him and managed to keep him til his people got home.  And repaired where he dug under.  So...several of us played a part in keeping this dog close to home.  :lol:  Border Collies...they need a JOB! 

We had ham and taters and pie.  Watched the one TV show I watch with DH on DVDs.  Talked to other DD.  She and I compared notes on aging.....goodness!  That means I'm really old!  :whistling:    Nah, I was reallllly young when they were born.....  right?   :rolleyes:

Bro, niece, and mom returned from vacation to VA.  They completely missed the Big Storm.  That was very good timing!  Bro sent me some good pics of Mom....coerced into smiling while getting pic taken.  :happy0203:   LOL  She had a wonderful time and will probably catch up rest/sleep for a week. 

Bro returned to his boat with the fresh realization that the river water is BROWN.....not clear turquoise like the ocean.  Yeah, I noticed that difference last summer.  Kinda ICK if you're used to clean ocean. 

So sorry to hear of your eventful Christmas, Miki!  Whoa!  That's a basket-full of not-nice events.  Hope you can get it all resolved without a lot of $$$.

Hope Kappy and Chainsaw Mary's critters all stayed warm in the colder-than-normal weather.

Everyone stay safe!  :pray: 

MtRider   :offtobed: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 degrees in the house this morning. Waiting for a call back from heating fellow. Mississippi needs to warm up!
Only plans for today are to take some ebay photos.
Walk, if it warms up enough!

Sounds like everyone had a nice Christmas Day!  Some, more eventful than others.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We did Christmas with the family, nice and quiet day.   DD2 loved her stuffed dragon more than anything and DD14 got a set of professional chef knives --which she asked for.   I got a new Silhouette Cameo 4 (cutting machine) which I had been wanting for years.  DH got a fancy watch that answers his phone and does all that health stuff.   DD25 called and is well.  

My dishwasher broke on Christmas Eve so we are behind on dishes and doing a lot of handwash.  Joy!   It broke badly and is  not a simple fix and may have to be replaced.   I'll know more in a few days.  Today is going to be a cleaning day and I have announced that I am not cooking until the leftovers in the fridge are gone--that should give me a bit of a respite.  I will be making things for New Year's Eve and day, but I'm not telling them that.  

I rearranged my office a bit to get my Cameo on my desk and I'm liking the changes.  I need to give it a month to see if this a viable reorganization though.  I asked Dh to make me a small wooden shelf to go over the top of my Cameo so I can store more things over it since it is about 2 feet wide and 8 inches deep & high.  I'm thinking just a giant U shape to put over the top of it and put baskets of pens, etc on that shelf.  

• Like 6