MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

I WON,   I WON,   I WON!

The worst Christmas Vacation ever trophy has to be awarded to me. :curtsey:

It started out clear sailing. Not a flake in the air. Until about 30 miles from my Indy house which would have been around Michigan City, IN. It started getting bad fast but not horrible. I was alert but noticed cars sliding off the road left and right. I made it home fine. The next evening I went to sit with g-son. We had a great time making a construction paper garland chain and g-ma teaching the fine art of finger snapping. It was difficult going from my house to theirs because of all of the open country fields and snow and wind howling. Winter in the country is a whole different world from winter in town! I should have stayed home. 

Long story short, around 11:00pm, I hit a patch of ice that landed me smack into a snow drift. That drift was like a brick wall that stopped me immediately, spun the Jeep around and landed me in a deep snow bank. I was stuck in snow and turned 180 degrees in the road. A country road. I tried rocking the car to no avail. The snow was too deep and I had a ditch in both the front and rear of the car. For a brief instant I thought the Jeep was going to roll. I called son but he was about 40 minutes away. He would come help but it would take time. 

In the mean time a Good Samaritan (angel really) and his wife came by to help me. After about 40 minutes of digging and pushing the Jeep, he was able to get it heading back to north/south direction. I was totally east/west when he arrived. He wouldn't take any money but he deserved it. He followed me to make sure I got home safely. What a guy! I called and canceled son. The next day the thought crossed my mind of what if he would have been a serial killer. My body could have been found buried in one of those  snow drifts...  Of all the crap I had in the Jeep traveling, I didn't have a shovel.

Since my 'check engine' light was on I thought I had better back the Jeep into my garage so it could be towed out the next morning...Christmas Eve. While backing in the garage, still blizzarding out, I ran the rear left side of the back of the Jeep into the house. Tore out the rear tail light and crushed the back bumper to bits. Definitely needed a tow by then. I'll never forget that sound. Sigh.

The next morning, Christmas Day, son called to say they were all down with the flu. Very bad flu and had all been exposed to Covid. I didn't have the flu but a very bad case of bronchitis. I was sick and hacking. They were willing to come get me but we all opted to stay home. Basically that was my Christmas Day. No G-son, no pressies and no ham dinner for me. And no car for another 3 days. They are all sick with the flu and I have bronchitis. 

I finally made it back to Ohio. I opened the door and was met with what looks like a rain forest in the house. The power had gone off in sub zero temperatures, which meant no furnace, and pipes have burst. Water was pouring down from the ceilings. Pouring down. Just kill me now. After crying for a few minutes I finally remembered a plumbing company that has a good (I hope) reputation in my town. I got their number and called and after an hour, they came out and turned off the water. I went to bed. Fortunately, the upstairs isn't damaged. Downstairs is a disaster area. 

Of course A LOT of my preps are damaged. Not only from sitting on the floor but from water cascading down on them. And everything in closets and on the closet floor is ruined. I'm going to have to start bagging things up and hauling things away. I'm 70 and sick and I'm not sure where to begin. And my house is WET. Even where water hasn't touched, it all still feels wet in here. 

There is still about 2 feet of water in the basement. I still have ice in my toilets. I haven't heard back from the company about fixing the furnace and pipes yet. I have no heat and no water. But I'm fine as long as I stay upstairs. Thankfully, the temps are in the 50's. If my electric goes out I'm skrewed. I'm sick and I sleep about 18 hours a day. D-ex who is 74 has the Covid. My Jeep turned 100,000 miles on the way home. Did I mention I have a bad case of bronchitis? And I pee in a cup. 

The mess that happened on the Ohio turnpike was what I was going through the day before in Indiana. In Ohio there was a 50 car pile up and four people lost their lives. At least I didn't die.  

Water is pouring from the ceilings and walls and even down through the lights. In the kitchen it looks like a big water balloon ready to let go. It's still dripping. I fished out the iceberg from the toilet. You can see the shape of the bowl and drain area. There is still ice down in the drain area. It's a wonder the whole toilet didn't crack apart. The floor below this mess is worse. Standing water, dry wall and soaked preps. 

Hall 1                                                                                                                                        Hall 2

image.jpeg      image.jpeg

Going Up Stairs. Water falling everywhere.                                                         Going Out To The Garage

image.jpeg      image.jpeg

Kitchen                                                                                                                 Iceberg From The Toilet. 

image.jpeg     image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I WON,   I WON,   I WON!

The worst Christmas Vacation ever trophy has to be awarded to me. :curtsey:

Oh, my goodness!!! Yes, I do believe you did. 🏆 Not one I want to be in competition for, that's for sure!!

I'm sorry for all of this....but thankful you're around to tell the story. Any of those scenarios could have ended very differently. Will be praying for you for wisdom as to what to do next, and of course, you and your family's health!! 

❤️:bighug2:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Drat Jeepers, you don’t do things by half!!  I don’t know what to say.  Words just can’t fix this mess.  I can only send hugs and prayers.   :bighug2:🙏 

And maybe some ideas??  The first thing I would do (if you already haven’t)  is CALL THE INSURANCE COMPANY!!!  The second thing I would do is follow their instructions.  If that is to do nothing until an adjuster comes then do it.  iF your insurance covers a hotel then find one.  You don’t need to be in that wet house…..    Be sure to let the insurance know your supplies have been ruined.  You could always tell them you were just gathering those supplies to take to your other house in Indiana, or to your son’s for them. Or just tell them you are a prepper.    It shouldn’t be hard for an old lady to turn on the tears to them and you have some pictures to prove all you had.  

Do you ever get the impression someone is trying to tell you something!?!?!?  Have you considered it might be time to move to Indiana and travel back and forth to oversee reconstruction in Ohio instead of to see G-son?  From the looks of the pictures it’s going to take some major demolition to repair that.    :hug3:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Wow Jeepers!  You really had a rough Christmas. Sorry you had to go through all of that. And what Mother said. Call insurance and take pictures of all the things that are damaged or destroyed from the water. Insurance should replace all of that. The main thing is that you are ok. :pray: :hug3: for you and your family to get well. None of you needed to get sick on top of all of that mess. That is going to be new dry wall and much more They will have to check out the electric where water went down into the light fixtures also.  

Went to drug store to restock some items I haven't stocked in long time and to pick up a couple of items for GS that he needed. His hands are very chapped from working in the freezer at work. I bought him some heated gloves and he has already tried them out and loves them.  His rib cage is still very swollen but is able to move around a bit more. Still hurts to take a deep breath or cough. He is going back to work tonight. More than likely on light duty but better than nothing. 

We had a good New Year's Eve.  We sat around till 4 am just talking about all kinds of things. He opened up to me a lot about issues that was bothering him over the years. Hopefully now he can move on from that.  He is even talking about going to Church with me.  So very positive altitude. Maybe now he can move on and better his life. His anger is much better controlled than from when he first moved here with me. So much improvement. I hope to see it continue. And yes, we both had a rum and coke. Had to celebrate with a little drinking but we only had one.  He got his clothes washed and I stayed up with him till 4 am. Was up early this morning and now ready for a nap. But don't want to take one as I might not sleep tonight.

Hope everyone had a wonderful New Years and yes Jeepers this to will pass and you will have a great rest of the year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you ladies. I'm finally seeing the writing on the wall in this house. It doesn't want me here any more. I don't know why I've held on this long. Yep, the ceilings are bad. They will have to dry out before anything can be done. 

I think this is going to be the catalyst to get me out of here. I have started to bag up wet stuff and put it in the Jeep to take to a dumpster. It's so heavy. But I'm being ruthless. Then I'll start on the non-wet stuff. Then do the same upstairs. I will need help in the basement. That will cost but I'm okay with that...sort of. Then call someone to get rid of a lot of furniture I don't want. 

In the mean time I need to set up the other house with furniture so I can live comfortably out there. With no car, I wasn't able to furniture shop this time but I saw where a store over there sells Ashley stuff so I picked out some bedroom stuff online. I will need to make arrangements to be there to have things delivered. The same place has Lazy Boy stuff so I need to pick that out too. 

One good thing is over the past year or so, I've taken most of my food over to the Indy house. Most of the long term food I have left here is in buckets. they got soaked but I assume they will be okay. They are from Augason Farms and sealed. Other food items are mostly in cans (soup) and in the cabinets. 

I'm too old for this crap. But I have to take responsibility for most of it myself. I should have concentrated more on moving and less on piling stuff up getting ready to move. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

Jeepers, what you have in buckets should be fine. The buckets would protect what's inside. 

GS's boss called and told him not to come to work today. He is to go in at 3 pm tomorrow. They will decide on light duty for him if he has any issues with heavy lifting. He's up but still hurting and can't sit very comfortably. He still hasn't heard from radiologist yet. Being the holiday, it may be a day or two before he knows for sure if he cracked a rib or just severe bruising. 

I got lazy today, was going to put all the decorations away today but going to bed at 4 am last night did me under. no energy. But tomorrow is another day. Just went to drug store and came home and finished up GS's laundry which he almost had finished anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Jeepers, I am so sorry you have so much happen at one time.

Given the severity of the situation, the insurance company should help clean out all the damaged items…easing you from having to carry heavy wet stuff…. create a list, perishables included.  I would list the items at today’s prices, not what you purchased them for.  They ‘should’ reimburse a large portion.  Non perishable items, include on your list, with the approximate values also.  Even if you think they won’t cover it, list it anyway.  

:sigh:

:pray:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Most insurance policies have a declaration for what they cover and will only cover a set amount of food.  They will probably reimburse you for some of it, but I would not expect most of the house contents to be covered.   Additionally, large items like fur coats, jewelry, computers, various electronics are not covered unless you had a separate policy for them.  There is a huge misconception that home insurance covers your stuff inside your home and that is usually untrue --it mostly covers the structure and only a tiny fraction of what is inside that structure.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm sorry you are having such a rough ending for the old and start to the new year, @Jeepers!  That's an awful lot to go through on your own!  I am praying for recovery on all fronts for you!  

Yesterday, I went to Church.

Came home and walked dogs.

Cooked 4# of blackeyed peas (previously soaked) with lots of veggies added and 3 types of seasoning meats.

Cooked burgers for lunch since beans would take until later in the day.

Cut up carrots for dog treats.

Paid bills.

Today, will walk first.

Laundry.

Take down Christmas decorations on porch.

Pressure can leftover beans.

Find and thaw chicken and burger for making dog food tomorrow.

Happy New Year all!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got most of the decorations down and getting them put away. Just the wreaths on front door to take down. Waiting for it to warm up a bit more before putting away in shed. 

Going to get things together today to start canning soups and stews.  Will hopefully get meat canned as well. I really need those freezers to be emptied. Just have to pull things out to thaw so I can get things made up to can.  Will be making pepper steak for dinner tonight. GS loves that. So can make enough for at least 2 or 3 meals for him.  

Cleaned out fridge early this morning and got that out of the way. 

Will take it easy this evening and try to get some reading done. 

• Like 3

Oh Jeepers!  What a terrible way to start the new year.  At least you didn't get hurt (or murdered by the good samaritan).  I hope you don't suffer much aggravation from the insurance company.

So far an uneventful year for me.  Hope it stays that way. I am getting too old for adventures and ordeals.

Happy New Year ya'll.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

:pc_coffee:    :wacko:    :faint3:   OH GOOD GRIEF, JEEPERS!  By Golly, YES!  I'm quite sure you had the absolute WORST Christmas of anyone on this board and could include a whole LOT of others too!   :bighug2:     Here....maybe you need two!   :bighug2:

So sorry for the mess, loss, the pulling-out-hair......  :runcirclsmiley2: AND missing Christmas with GRson!!!!  Damage on Jeep.... EVERYone :fever:  SICK!

Father God, Jeepers is in need of a great big hug from YOU!  And she needs LOTS of help with dealing with everything...especially the insurance company and repair folks.  She is also in real need of Your healing.  Bronchitis is awful enough without being in a wet..drippy...damp house.  Mildew will begin.  Give her Your unexplainable CALM.  :cloud9:   That just ain't gonna happen in this mess without YOUR power.  Assure her that good will come from this...more than she'll ever realize  - cuz that's the way YOU work.   'Nuff BAD has happened.  Help her to turn this around.  :amen:    And thank YOU that she's uninjured...not involved in any of those pile-ups...even if YOU did have to send the Good Samaritan to get her and Jeep outta that ditch!    :amen:  :amen:    

Jeepers...I gotta tell ya.   This is not the first prayer I've said for you while you were gone.  You were on my mind/heart.  Now I find out why.  :sigh:   But...you'll be okay, eventually.   Focus on getting rid of bronchitis cuz that's a mean one.  Don't want it to go into bronchial pneumonia!!!!  Try to get outta that wet house!  Your health is priority or nothing else will matter.  

MtRider  .....  :bighug2:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jeepers, I also was praying for you to have a safe trip but never expected all that. I always try to pray for anyone that is going out on a trip to be safe. I do that for my family and church members as well. Just glad you were not injured or anything. 

I do know that with insurance and your belongings are concerned when my old freezer quit working and we lost all our food, our insurance paid for that. All we had to do was take pictures of it. That was several years ago. So don't know if that has changed or not. But yes, with jewelry and other valuables you need to have that insured under a different policy for that. I do have that type of insurance as DH wanted all my jewelry insured. Had to get it all appraised but fully covered along with other things of value. If your insurance company says they will pay for a hotel, please do it as you can't afford to stay in all that mess. It's only a matter of time before mold and mildew starts up. 

GS had to go into work at 3pm today. He was to meet with the HR lady, and she didn't show-up. But did meet with his boss's boss and his boss.  His boss wanted him to stay and work but the higher up boss told GS's boss not so fast that the way he was injured with the equipment that he was not the first person to get hurt with that equipment and he wants to talk with safety people about it. Told GS to go home and make an appointment with his primary care doctor as patient first are not that great. But again, today primary care is closed. So will try to reach him first thing tomorrow. He is to call his boss tomorrow at 4pm.  But is off tonight and tomorrow. They really do have an equipment issue and hopefully now all this will get fixed. They can't keep having injuries because the equipment doesn't half work right. 

Got all Christmas decorations put away and now I can clean house really good and start back to getting things in order and organized again. So, while pressure canners are going, I will start emptying my bedroom closet. Will be a busy week for me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I went to the insurance company yesterday. Everything was still closed due to the holiday. Something about the first being on a Sunday so everyone took an extra day off. That's been my luck from Christmas through New Year. Anyway...

I went back today. I have a nice agent. He gave me a number to call and my policy number. I'll call today and get things initiated. He said repairing the bursted pipe won't be covered but the repair work on the ceilings will. After a $1,600.00  deductible. So I'm thinking around $2,500.00 out of pocket. Thank goodness for charge cards. I can dip into my stock fund. It's not doing anything anyway. D-ex said he'd help if I need it. That's nice but I've got this. 

I've dealt with that insurance agent before. He said he would walk me all the way through this ordeal. I'm not alone. He has pictures of himself in the office with Trump and with Ronald Regan. Also inspirational quotes. He makes no apologies for who he is. Before I left he prayed over me for my health and for the repairs upcoming. :hug3:

I don't really intend to claim much. To be honest most of what I lost, so far, is paper goods and only one oak bench. Also 6 Amish dolls that I hand made. I hated to lose those but they weren't worth a lot monetarily. No major furniture and no electronics were ruined. All the food is in cans or buckets. Most of the water from the ceilings is in the entry hall and the kitchen. I still need to go through the three closets though. There will be clothes in there. Ugh. I forgot about those. 

The heating/cooling company still haven't called back. They were supposed to call back the next day. I really need to get the furnace going to help dry out the house. The agent told me to go directly to their office yesterday but just like everything else...they were closed. They are supposed to be the best in the area. They have been here since 1975 and always answer the phone with a live person 24/7/365. Suppose I'll see. 

• Like 6

Jeepers, we have been through several floods in our time and understand well the damage water can cause. don’t forget the floors where water has run.  After they dry you may see they need refinished, possibly walls too.  Water will creep up dry wall. Watch for mold inside walls and in basement rafters where it takes longer to dry.  But it looks like you have a great start.  :hug3:

• Like 4

Thanks Mother. I have noticed that the seams on the linoleum in the hall and kitchen have started to show. I'm sure the flooring will need replaced too. Sigh. 

I called to make the claim. I have a claim number and an agent assigned to my case. If the heating/cooling people don't contact me today, I'm going in to their office tomorrow. 

I've been here 35 years and this is my first claim so I'm really out of my element. Everyone has been pleasant and helpful so far. 

• Like 6

Jeepers, it sounds like you are now getting things in order. That is a good start. Just keep after them to get the furnace fixed. Seems with taking off on Monday and everything closed is making it hard to get some things done. 

Didn't get things I wanted to done today. So will start on it tomorrow. Just love how things happen to slow you down. 

GS's boss's boss wanted him to see his primary doctor about his rib cage. So took him to doctor but his doctor won't be in till tomorrow. And yes, the whole office was closed for over a week for the Holidays. But he did see the PA there. She wants him to follow up with the x-ray Tek that did the x-rays at patient first. That will be a joke as they never sent them to the radiologist like they said they would.  He is still swollen in the rib area, and it is still painful. She did give him something for pain which is more than patient first did. Told him to go back to work if he wanted but to only play it by ear as to what he is able to do without making things worse. She wasn't sure of the type of job he does will affect his ribs or not. So, he is to just take it easy for a while and do what he can. He's going back in tomorrow night. Went to Harris Teeter to pick up his prescription and had him go through the store and look at prices. He did pick him up a couple of specials, but he got sticker shock. He couldn't get over how bad prices have gotten. This is what I have been trying to get through to him. To shop only the sales and look for better deals in different stores. So, he is starting to see now why I talk to him about these things. Once he is on his own, he will be buying his own groceries even though I have started a small food supply for him to get started and still adding to that. He will be on his own 100%. So, needs to learn how to shop sales and look for cheaper prices by shopping around and using what few coupons we can get now. He has learned if he wants to eat at some of the fast-food places use coupons for that. It will save a lot of money if you only do it that way. I do subway sometimes if I don't feel like cooking and those coupons save a lot. I don't buy drinks or anything else there, just the subs. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, goodness, I’m so sorry for your loss! However, depending upon your policy, document every little thing!  BTD!    Yes, they will cover direct costs, floors, ceilings, basements, & storage items.  Depending upon the policy you had/have, they might even cover perishables, to an extent.  Either way, I’d push the issue, an elderly Lady, trying to avoid cost of living prices.  If’n your agent is old enough, they could very well include the loss of clothes, furniture and food.  

I played the “old” card, when MIL’s house was  burnt by the neighbors house.  The insurance company made an extra effort to fix & replace , and restore…. her house.   I threatened them, that they were trying to kill an old lady…..  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Annarchy said:

I threatened them, that they were trying to kill an old lady…..  

You go, Annarchy.  But point of fact...your MIL had to have been majorly stresssssed during all that.  You weren't telling anything but the truth! 

Jeepers, you can use the "I'm sick and the mold will kill me" line.....and it also will be the truth.  Don't stay in that house in mildew/moldy conditions, dear friend! 

=-==-

Last nite I shut off my old pickup while putting ducks/geese to bed [safe in duckhouse...hear coyotes howling]  and walk dog.  But even with full gas tank...if absolutely would NOT start again if turned off too soon.  It can sit there for a couple weeks in winter and start right up.  But not right away after shutting it off.  :sigh:  So dog and I caught a ride up to house when DH came home from work. 

Went down this cold frosty morning with a smidge more snow....and it started right up.  [ note to self....don't shut it off!]  I turned on the wipers to clear the snow and I felt something 'give' when I turned the knob.   Oh for petes sake!  Now I can't get them to shut off!  :motz_6:  I was able to slow them down to the Intermittent stage but there I went out the driveway to tour the neighborhood [warming it up so it would make it back up the driveway to house] .....bright sunshine ....with my wipers going.  :shakinghead:  

Property managers J/B were here to  continue from yesterday.  Ended up 6 hrs....for a 1 hr job.  Poor B...he made a tiny error and tho he's sure there's a way to get Part A and Part B separated again, none of us could figure it out today.  So he switched out some parts and we have a full working sink....with an UP/DOWN plug in it.  For the first time in years we've been here.  More importantly...the hole for the sink plug Up/Down thingie does not leak now...cuz all the parts are in.  DH and I only replaced the faucet assembly; not the drain plug part.  Good thing... if B had that much trouble, we'd have had a MESS.  New faucet assemblies have PLASTIC parts for under the sink.  Uff tah!

B was also going to fix both doors for air leaks.....so I can retire my folded-length-wise newspapers that we stuff into the crack to keep the wind and cold out.  He was kinda horrified that it was so bad.  So he'll be back tomorrow...he forgot to move those supplies from car to truck this morning.    I kept remembering other things...oh, the water pressure tank is surging and needs to be bled again...    That's the well guy for that job.  He's a good one. 

B/J had come yesterday while the pellet stove guy was here.  We'll all be waiting [Dan and I with extra warm clothes on...] for someone to find a new blower for a very old pellet stove.  If not, I suggested to J that we'd welcome a real wood fireplace insert.  :campfire:   NON-electric heat!  I think we'd be able to buy split wood in the Rockies. 

... would REALLLLLY rather DH didn't run the chain saw....  :blink:   Saw chainsaw fly outta his hands....go over his head.....hit the dirt on the other side.....and THEN it shut off!  :runcirclsmiley2::0327:

Got the rest of the meat off the ham bones.  DH and I made scalloped potatoes and ham in the cast iron bean pot.  Have to remember my granny for that lovely heirloom.  Have bones and more ham for bean soup. 

Soooo..... how much energy  {adrenaline} did I use today?   :hidingsmile:   I'll fall asleep during bone scan.  Probably not the other test. 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Yesterday, prepped veggies and meat for making dog food.
Went to therapy for shoulder.
Came home and switched all bookkeeping folders from last year to this for ebay and personal bills.
Made dog food to cook overnight.
We had 4" rain yesterday and last night total. Good bit of wind, but not enough to knock over the plastic deck chairs. LOL

Walked first this morning.
Got first load of dog food in the pressure canners.
Walked dogs.
Still have to do second load of dog food and give one pup a bath.
Talked briefly to DH about switching dog food for the 2 dogs who don't really need homemade. He didn't take it real well, but he isn't making and canning it. It's so much work, prep and planning every other month. I will figure something out.

My electric company is having some kind of glitch in their website. My usage says about $3 or $4 a day, but my projected bill for the next month is $2315 and saying $168 for the last 4 days or something like that. Already talked to Customer service twice, but they can't see the projected screen. I have taken screen shots of usage and projection and started a handwritten record of dates, who I spoke to and what they said.

I think I'm getting overwhelmed with DH and dog's caretaking, so the electric is just icing on the cake. Not sure how to take a break at this point. We had friends coming down for the weekend and they just cancelled - again.
Was really looking forward to someone to talk to who understood.
I guess I will just keep going.

• Sad 4