MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Littlesister, I'm not sure how they go about finding and fixing all of the leaks but he mentioned about sending compressed air through the pipes to find out where they are leaking. I heard a big blower thing happening while he was working. 

He opened a couple of spots in the ceilings and water poured out even though the water is still turned off. It must be holding a lot of water up there yet. He called it residual water. 

I know a lot of people have been praying for my situation and for my health. Believe me, I appreciate each and everyone of them!  A lot of people (not here) are afraid to even mention praying to a stranger for fear of losing their job in this 'woke' society.

I hate to say it but I'm not much better. I'm pretty sure the results from the Covid are over. Except that taste bud issue from a few months ago. The problem now seems to be from the bronchitis. I've never struggled with being so short of breath and this tired before. Sometimes its hard just to get enough air just to finish a sentence. It just isn't going away. I had a chest X-ray in the ER but they didn't say anything about it. Actually I forgot about it until just now. Two more weeks until I see a doctor. A doctor I've never met. Hope I like him after all of this wait. Supposedly he is Indian so I just hope I can understand what he is saying. My hearing isn't picking up accents as well as it used to. My hearing isn't picking up a lot of things it used to. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

DH has the week off since my surgery is tomorrow.   Today we are taking the little to the aquarium to see 'a whale and a turtle' as those are her new favorite words.  I know they won't have actual whales, but I think she will enjoy the bigger fish, sea lions, and otters.   She already likes smaller fish, but cannot say fish yet.  She loves to scream 'a WAY-l' and throw her [actually mine, but she stole it] stuffed narwhale at me. She can point out all the whales in the picture books.   Stuffed Orcas, dolphins, narwhales, blue whales...all of these things are 'a WAY-l' right now.  

I miss the teens being littles.  This is the age that I cherish the most no matter how much they destroy my house.   

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Only complaint I've had is no one calls before they show up. I didn't know when the furnace guys were coming when they did and the water guy just showed up out of nowhere. I almost didn't even answer the door. Plus I don't have a doorbell so it's lucky I hear the little tap-tap-tap on the door from upstairs. All things considered...that's not much of a complaint!   

You need to get a wireless doorbell! It operates on batteries. :cheer:

I live in an apt and we don't even have "knockers" on our doors. Several years ago I bought one of these doorbells and it is one of the best decisions ever!

I can't (not allowed) attach the push button by the adhesive so I have it attached to the screen door via some zip ties. The bell is at the end of the hallway just outside of my bedroom door - I wanted to make sure I could hear it (even if I was asleep).  :sleep1:  Works great. 

I change the batteries every 6 months - one for the push button, some more  for the bell.

Can't beat the price either. :thumbs:

doorbell.JPG.deac791808f75f878a99dd2b70c301a6.JPG

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GENERAL-ELECTRIC-Wireless-Doorbell-Kit-Plug-In-8-Melodies-1-Push-Button-White-19299/38060928?athbdg=L1200

Oooops! Looks like the doorbell half plugs into an outlet now instead of using batteries.

==========================

They still have battery operated ones. This is the one I have, but I only paid as much as the one above! I can't believe the battery versions costs double!

doorbell2.thumb.JPG.e952416146e569e775a7a14e2918690b.JPG

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Wireless-Doorbell-Kit-Battery-Operated-Receiver-1-Push-Button-8-Melodies-4-Volume-Levels-150-Ft-Range-Mountable-White-19248/249163200

Even less if you don't mind the color not being white. This one links to a "brushed nickel" finish  for $20.40

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Battery-Operated-White-Doorbell-Kit-8-Melody-Brushed-Nickel-19303/25900017

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

contrasting color to your flooring.

No, clear hose.  Sigh

Sounds like things are looking up a bit, @Jeepers!

Today, I will walk first.

Go to therapy and cancel appointments that are left.  Just 2.

Walk dogs.

And nothing else!  A normal person would be glad.  I will find something else to do.

• Like 3

Now, I don't have to wonder what to do. A friend killed a deer and had hung and parted it for me. Dropping it off in a few minutes. Thank you God and friend!

Made 4 roasts, a bunch of stew meat, backstraps and I ground a little bit, but too time consuming.  Vacuum sealed it all and put away.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 5

jeepers glad this guy is doing a good job of finding the leaks and even more the water still sitting over the sheetrock that hasn't shown to have water there yet. I think you might just be in good hands with this guy. Praying that everything goes well on the house, and they will soon be done. And also, for you to continue to recover from your illness. 

Euphrosyne, praying also for your surgery to go well and for a fast recovery. You have really had your share of issues with falling and such and then for this to happen.  Hope and pray this is the last thing you have to go through.  

Today I just took it easy, it has been cold and rainy today. Damp chill in the air. I was going to bring in more wood today, but it rained this morning early and I wasn't expecting rain till later in the week. But I still have plenty in garage to use.  Did some reading and took a short nap.  I don't usually take naps but lately I have been. I am thinking my thyroid is off kilter again. I see the doctor next month for labs and then an appointment a week later so will find out what is going on. Just been more tired than usual. 

Hopefully tomorrow my energy will return, and I can get a lot done. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Euphrasyne, you will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.  :pray:     :hug3:     :pray:

That River is such a cutie patootie! Those days are so precious. Even 50 years later we still say some of the things son used to say like Bay-too = vacuum and bay-goo-goo = hamburger or ollie ollie for marshmallow. :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 4

I'm tired, but it is a good tired....I got a lot of stuff done in exchange for my energy.  I cut up 50 lbs of assorted meats from the freezer in preparation for canning it up.  We needed to rotate our frozen meats, and Mary has trouble with digesting legumes, so canned meats are an important protein source for her.  Me, I can eat beans 3 times a day, no problems.  We also need to make room in the freezers for more stuff....now that Christmas is over and garden prep is still at a low level, we will be going fishing, and I have a recipe for canning fish in a teriyaki sauce that I want to try with catfish.  I was watching the "homestead heart" videos on U tube and I was impressed when she rolled salmon fillets to pack her canning jars.  That looks so much easier than cutting and smooshing the fish in tightly, and it looked nicer after she took it out from the canner.  I also found my three recipes for canning pickled eggs, and various cool convenience food recipes for canning.  After all, if I am canning meat anyway, why not can "teriyaki steak bites", "italian steak bites",  "bourbon chicken" and "barbecued pulled pork" and make up some canned meatballs (3 ways - asian, tomato sauce, and mushroom sauce) while Im at it.  Not to mention the "teriyaki catfish".  (Can you tell I like asian food??)  Im hoping to have enough energy to finish off by canning up the sweet potatoes I have left.  

Oh yes, btw, we picked out what kind of additional chickens we want to get.  We wanted a heat tolerant but docile and quiet full size set of hens, so we will order six barred rock hens for eggs, and some Buff Orpington bantams, because Mary said she wanted some additional "pretty" chickens.  She wanted another color than black, white, or black and white. Banties do not lay many eggs, but they make great mothers, so a combination pet and egg flock should suit us just fine.  Mary found some full size chicken coops on sale for an unbelieveably low price and ordered two.  I ordered the nicotiana seeds she wanted along with some stumpy 'oxheart' and 'royal chantenay carrot seeds to try in our tending to be heavy soil.  AAAAND I have plotted out where the compost heaps will be going, and the goats now have a three-paddock area...the house and feed area, and two graze areas on either side of the housing area.  After all, they give us such nice compost materials...not hot, already mixed carbon and nitrogen materials, and no smell.  We already have several folks asking us if we are going to put in more sweet potatoes this year (yes) and one of my choir member friends has offered to purchase any "extra" eggs we may want to sell.  I am thinking barter, not sales....no agriculture permit is required if the  hens are primarily "pets" that just happen to lay eggs....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

The naked neck (turken) is really heat resistant, and also easy to pluck.  Mine have also tended to be the most intelligent and often the tamest of the flock.

• Like 3

Jeepers sounds like you need to be seen sooner than your apt that is too long to wait when you're so short of breath. I'd call the office and let them know you are  not doing well and need a same day acute appointment. Hope you can get someone to assess you tomorrow and start feeling better soon.

Mt Rider so very sorry to hear about your mom's hip! I hope she heals ok.

Euphrasyne wishing you the best of luck with your surgery!

Kappy glad you are getting chickens too! I have some Buff Orpingtons coming in my mix of chicks as well in April.

Littlesister hope you can figure out the cause thyroid at least is usually an easy fix.

I went to book group at the library today it's the first meeting and it was a lot of fun. I am trying to read more as I know it's really good for my mental health and also getting out in the community I'm really enjoying that. Tomorrow I am hoping to wrap up a big work project and then Thursday the ceiling repair guy is coming to take down the damaged plaster and so it will be a construction zone in my house again for a bit. It has been really warm and mild this week so that's helpful since they will have to open the windows to ventilate. So looking forward to having the ceiling fixed again so I don't feel like I'm living in a derelict building :imoksmiley:

• Like 5

I hope your ceiling repair goes quickly and smoothly @Becca_Anne!

@Jeepers, any updates?  How are you doing?

Walked first, this morning.
Washed sheets and blankets.
I found 4 # of older Pork roasts when I put the new deer in freezer yesterday. Ground that up this morning and will make sausage shortly.
Will make oatmeal for breakfasts soon.
Will go make a plan for downsizing shed if the sun comes out.
Might make sugar cookie dough (only one I didn't get done before Christmas).
Make oatcakes (cookies) for DH.

You all have a good day!

• Like 3

Jeepers, Mt. Rider, Miki, Euphrosyne, and all others on here. Praying that family and you are all doing much better.  Euphrosyne, for a fast healing from surgery and Mt. Rider's mother for a fast recovery and back home soon and memory will be much better.

I must be tired already.  This morning I bought in more firewood. Some of it was a bit wet from the other bin but will dry out in garage. Got more wood stacked by wood stove also. I emptied that when I used it for 3 days straight.  Have been working on how long one and a half cords of wood will last a full winter.  And I don't think I will even use up a full cord as we have days where the weather is too warm to use the stove. So that is a good thing.  Though we are having a much milder winter that normal so far. Some really cold days that dipped into the 20's and low 30's but less than a week wasn't bad. 

Washing towels and things today.  Will be mopping kitchen floor after GS goes to work today. He will be leaving at 4pm, so will have plenty of time to get that done. Having left over chili for dinner tonight so easy night. Will also be working on the rest of the things in bedroom that I have been going through. A lot of it is going out of here, I think. Still need to sort my vitamins that I take.  Putting each in their own container so I can just grab what I need when I finish a bottle of something.  Vit. D, zinc, and C are the main ones I take daily. So, each one will have its own container to make it easy to grab and use. I hate having to dig for what I need so this will be a good setup and more organized.

Edited by Littlesister
Forgot what I was doing today.
  • Like 3

The post office here was disbanded.  Receiving a letter costs $6 to $10, depending.  Sending it costs also.  Some private party has bought the rights to the mail delivery and is talking about starting it back up.  We're waiting to see how things shake out.

I'm going through a lot of videos on the Three Baskets channel:  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Surgery today went well, no complications and straightforward.  I am home and resting with limited lifting and movement for a few weeks.   Everyone was nice and I had no bad experiences at the hospital today for which I am grateful.  The nurses were very nice, respectful, and helpful.  

• Like 8

Thanks Miki!

Euphrasyne so glad you got through your surgery and are home recovering!

Have had a really stressful day, my counterpart quit today and is leaving in 2 wks which means I am going to have a ton of more work. The roof "repair" is not working, it's raining inside my covered porch :sad-smiley-012:we have a call out to the guy who fixed it and he's coming tomorrow to try to figure out why. I'm beginning to think it must be leaking from above the roof down through the siding or around the window above the porch or something really strange. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

That is wonderful news Euphrasyne! Sending you gentle  =>  :hug3:

My experience with doctors and especially the nurses has been very positive lately too. 

Sorry you had such a crappy day Becca_Anne. I understand about water issues.  :sigh:

• Like 6

Today I read where 18,000 people were being laid off from Amazon. Then tonight I got an email from them saying they are discontinuing the Amazon Smile Donations. I donated to The Service Dog Project. They got a pretty nice chunk of change from all of the donors. That's too bad.  :(   I guess Amazon is really hurting. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I'm glad that your surgery went well with good experiences too @euphrasyne!

This morning, I will walk first.
Wash windows.
Therapy.
Walk dogs.
Take ebay photos.
Bible study this evening.

The sausage turned out great!  Much lower fat than normal sausage.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 5

The contractor guy came today.  He just wanted to get an idea of what he is in for. He really doesn't make any decisions. Yet another nice guy. He saw a couple of my Augason Farms buckets. He let it out that he is a...gulp... prepper. OMG, we bonded!  He was talking about all the food he has and antibiotics and med preps. Especially since most of my stuff is in Indiana so he didn't see most of it. It was really awesome to talk face to face with a like minded person. I don't think he has any pull with the actual insurance people but MAYBE he can help a fellow prepper out. 

There is a lot of damage here! Lots of walls and ceilings will need to be torn out. He said to try not to worry because it is going to look better than new when they finish. He is expecting some new carpets and kitchen flooring which would be fantastic. He said at the end of the road, this could be a blessing in disguise. From his lips to God's ears. 

Well, he just left and the guy who will actually access the damage called. They are the company who will tell the insurance company what to pay for what not to pay for.  Now I'm nervous. They are supposed to come in the morning.  

I'm concerned about the basement. It's full of water. Prayers for a good report will be greatly appreciated!  :unsure:

• Like 7

Jeepers, hopefully they will take care of the water in basement also. But that could come under flood insurance and if you don't have that then it might be on you. But hoping if it was from the pipes bursting that they will take care of it. :pray: insurance takes care of all of it. 

GS not feeling well as he has an infection. At least it's not covid. But will need antibiotics.  So, needs to see doctor. He went to work this evening but just before leaving he found out his best friend in Florida tried to commit suicide by way of high-speed driving and totaling his car. He is in hospital so did survive the crash. As far as I know no one else was involved in the crash.  Thank goodness for that. So, GS is very much down tonight. His friend called him and told him, so hopefully he wasn't hurt too bad. 

Been in my bedroom going through the last of the boxes that I really don't know what to do with the stuff in them. Seems you get down to the end of things and it's like ok, now what do I do with it. Got all of DH's meds together to take to pharm. for disposal. Can't flush them down toilet nor just trash them. Will try to take care of all that tomorrow. Found some meds I no longer take any longer so will get rid of those also. I also need to sit down with GS and find out his plans for moving out of my house into his own apartment. I think his buying a car is his excuse to stay and he is lying about that also. He did make the statement last week he likes it here. So, I am not buying anymore of his special foods, cooking for him and going to stomp on him if he doesn't clean his bathroom and bedroom. I am tired of being his house maid. So am making it so he won't be so comfortable here any longer. Not sure what else I can do to get him out. I need my life back. It would be different if he would clean up behind himself and help around here, but he stopped doing that. 

So far in all my organization, I have the food situated, all my vitamins sorted and put away except for just a few things I found that I need to get into the correct boxes. I have my RX's situated where I can just grab a new bottle when needed. I am 3 months ahead on all of that. So, I think I will be good if it hits the fan. I will be going through my clothes once I get all the boxes out of bedroom. I have clothes that are too big for me and no need to keep them. GS and DH wore the same size shoes so will go through those and let GS take what he wants of those. I think he already has a pair of dress shoes of DH's but are still at his mother's house. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1