MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Mt Rider sounds like an eventful day for you! Border Collies are so smart but yes they do need a job :) We had them when I was a young teen and they are very sweet dogs if they have something to do. If not they are a handful LOL.

Euphrasyne sound like a great Christmas at your house! 

My plans for the day, read, bake gingerbread and sugar cookies (I had the dough but not enough energy to bake them yesterday. We had cookies just made toffee chip and oatmeal chocolate chip/coconut/craisin cookies and Snowball cookies but then ran out of energy to roll and cut cookies so saved the dough for today). 

• Like 5

Becca Anne glad you got home with no delays or anything. 

Miki, hope you get heat back soon and it is an easy fix. It's still cold here today but not as bad as it was with all that wind. 

Hoping and praying that Jeepers got to where she was going safe and sound. I know the roads might not have been the best, but hoping they were cleared of any snow or ice. 

We had a really nice Christmas, though it was missing 4 grandchildren, I did get to talk to all of them and one on daughters' phone where we could all see each other. We all had a great time and ate too much.  The ham biscuits and turkey salad rolls went over really well. The kids only wanted sandwiches but having it the way I did was great.  And of course, the meatballs, shrimp, potato salad, fresh fruit tray and veggie tray all went really well. Then there were the cookies, pies, candy, and chips and dips. Kids took food to SIL's parents also. With them both having dementia it gave them something that they didn't need to cook up. I always fix enough food for DD's in-laws as they don't cook much but more of heat up things. Which is probably best in their situation. 

During the night last night my GS ate again.  But it makes my stomachache to think about it. In one sitting he ate more shrimp, half of a pecan pie, half a gal. of egg nogg, cookies and candy and more meatballs. I don't know where he put it all, but he should wake up with a belly ache. If anything, it will put much needed weight on him. He eats like that and doesn't gain a pound. I can only wish. 

We were all thankful for the Lord and the many blessings he has given to each of us. 

DD and SIL gave me a neck Messager like the one she had that I needed to use when I was at her house Thanksgiving. And also, a hand Messager for when my hand really gives me a fit and starts hurting and swelling so bad. Those are going to be a real blessing with my hand and neck like they are. They help a lot. I have already tried them out. The hand Messager takes the stiffness out of my fingers. That will help when I am peeling potatoes and doing other things that I need my fingers to not be so stiff for. 

Hope everyone's Christmas was a great and blessed Christmas. 

Mt. Rider was glad to hear your mom got to go on a trip for Christmas and you getting pictures of your mom. I am sure she had a great time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Those border collies are smart.  We had one a few years back and it was amazing to watch her little brain tick.  DH trained her to go to the paperbox way down our long driveway and get my newspaper.  She was so proud prancing up our driveway to bring it to me. Beautiful animal.

I am surrounded by broken and dying appliances and house parts.  Between lack of money and the difficulty of getting good repairfolks it is starting to get on my nerves! I am thankful I made it through the bad weather with nothing breaking and my pipes intact.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
40 minutes ago, Momo said:

I am surrounded by broken and dying appliances and house parts.  Between lack of money and the difficulty of getting good repairfolks it is starting to get on my nerves!

We are having similar issues.  And that's the truth about repair folks!  When we find a good one, we want to adopt them!

Still pretty cold here.

First, I will go to therapy at 10.

Come home and walk myself.

Walk dogs.

Ebay photos.

Stay warm, you all!

• Like 4

So far, no broken pipes but the cap on chimney looks like it is bent a bit. plus, the cement on top edge of chimney broke off. So, they didn't recap the top of chimney when they put the new cap on. I have cement all on the patio and roof where the cement broke off. Will be calling the contractors about it as it should be a warranty on it. So hopefully there will be no charge for that.

Washing clothes and getting the Christmas dishes packed back up and put away.  At least I have more energy today. Yesterday I was done. No energy at all. So, catching up on things today. After the first of year and all the Christmas decorations are down, I am going to start going through my nonfood items, batteries, flashlights, oil and wicks for lamps, camping gear, check the fishing boxes for anything I need for fishing, hooks, sinkers, etc. Need to get a handle on all that one for GS going fishing this spring and also for hurricane season next year. So, plenty of time to check sells on all of that stuff. Just need to make sure of what I have and what I need. 

• Like 4

Momo so glad your pipes didn't break. Hope things stop breaking soon!

Miki I agree when you find someone good who fixes things you practically want to make them part of the family :) I am slowly getting a list of competent people to do various things around our place. 

Littlesister that is a bummer about your chimney cap hope you can get it fixed without extra charge. We need one for ours it was completely missing when we bought the house and we have bats in it so we need to get that addressed.

I went out to brunch with a friend this am and going to my book group later. I accidently went early but then realized my mistake so will have left the house 3 times today by the time I go at 5. I never go in and out that much anymore :happy0203: I am really a homebody but it does me good to socialize a bit

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haven't heard back from contractors yet, so may be closed till after New Year.  Got the laundry done, and Christmas dishes packed back up to go back into the shed. 

Momo glad your pipes didn't break. I can just image all the broken pipes all over the country from this weather. It will surlily keep the plumbers busy for a long while. 

Had to run to GS's work as he forgot his wallet and badge. So, he's good to go now. He hasn't done that in a long while and has never forgotten his wallet before. But it happens. 

Need to get the wood stove cleaned out tomorrow. Was going to do it today but there were still hot embers in there. To tired now to do it. So tomorrow morning will work. 

• Like 3

:hi:

Home…. Safe, thank God!

Stop for gas, heard several people talking about SW Airlines, provided them rent-a-cars to get home, since their computers were down!  Wow….

More traffic than I expected, stressed, DH drove the last half, my headache was screaming at me.  :shakinghead:

• Like 6

Annarchy so glad you got home safe! It's pretty crazy with the travel cancellations I really lucked out with only a 2 hr delay. Glad my daughter is flying home from France later in January so hopefully this mess will be cleared up by then. Really feel for everyone who missed out on Christmas with their family and everyone dealing with broken pipes.

• Like 4

Went to the doctor this morning and was diagnosed with an incisional hernia. He scheduled surgery for it in about 3 weeks.  It was mostly what I expected.  I'm just sad it could not happen in this Calander year for insurance purposes.  It took forever to get the appointment with him.   

My husband's coworker called and said she tested positive for C19 right after the big office Christmas party.  We were both near her.  DH took a test and came back negative on Friday.  I took one on Sunday that was negative. The dentist called me last week on the day of her appointment and rescheduled my daughter's cleaning appointment to today because the hygienist was sick.  They called me this morning to reschedule again because 2 hygienists were sick.  Not sure what is taking out our dental office, but there is definately a bug going around.     I'm reimplementing the mandatory hand sanitizer for anyone coming into the house.  We had slacked off a bit, but I think it is time to take up that slack.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

euphrasyne, I am so sorry to hear you are having to have surgery. Just seems it never ends for you guys.  Hopefully your DH is doing much better from his fall. 

I have heard that the flu is ramping up in our area. But not sure if that is what it is or not. Prayers that all goes well for you. 

I haven't done a lot today. Bible reading and praying about things that might be happening in 2023 and the power grid. Plus, a lot of other things.  I keep hearing about food being even more scarce and prices will go even higher. Also, higher gas prices, natural gas, water, and electric will go up even more. Praying that we all will get through these tougher times ahead of us. But I think that 2022 will be a cake walk compared to what's coming in 2023. things are not looking good. And let's not forget about our taxes going way up. I was glad we got an increase in Social Security, but it will not be enough to keep our heads above water. It didn't meet the price increases enough to get us through. I am thinking for the next 2 months just living off my food supply. I really need to get the older foods used up. And GS will learn that I am not paying $20 for sushi. He's working and if he wants to spend money on high priced foods that will be on him. But he will learn that his money won't go far at that rate. And I hope sooner than later. Time for him to learn to eat what is put before him and like it or starve.

• Like 3

Walked first, this morning.
Went to doctor for regular appt. They were very busy!
Went to therapy and got there at noon because of doc. They close for lunch, so I cancelled til Tuesday.
Came home and walked dogs.
Still need to make oatmeal for DH's breakfasts.
That is about it for my big day.

• Like 1

Washed towels, went to store for eggs and bread. Eggs have gone up to $4.59 a dozen. that is crazy. Before this mess I was paying .69 to .99 for a dozen.

GS broke his rib the other day at work. So, he is out of work tonight. He couldn't get into the doctor as they are closed till Monday. So, I taped his ribs, and he is taken Advil for pain. Rib cage is very swollen. He says it hurts to breath and he can hardly get up off couch or lay down without it hurting him. He's struggling but this to will pass. I hate that he is out of work but there is no way he can work like this. But hoping to get him into the doctor on Monday. They have sick call so that should work. Taping it up has helped some and that is basically all they can do for it. But he needs a doctor's note for work. 

Cleaned out wood stove that I should have done yesterday and didn't. So that is now ready for the next cold snap. 

• Like 3

If he broke it at work, everything should be covered under worker's compensation.   He should be getting a doctor's note and they should be paying him a reduced rate.   I cannot remember what the current rate is in Virginia, but I can look it up.  I used to adjust that for a living back in the day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, he did break it at work. Don't know if it is only one rib or maybe 2 but very swollen, hurts him to take a deep breath or move very easily. Hard for him to lay down without pain. Hoping to get him into doctor on Monday. He was closed today. He will be on workman's comp.  He has only been there less than a year. But faulty equipment is what caused it. He came down hard on a post. I am going to try calling doctor's office tomorrow morning. He won't see his doctor as he is off on Friday but can see one of the other doctors there. But I have a feeling that the doctor's office is closed till after the New Year.

• Like 2

The way worker's compensation is set up, it does not matter who or what is at fault.  If he hurt it at work, they have to pay for it.  1 hour or 50 years working there does not matter.   He did something wrong or equipment fail does not matter.  Now they could do other things based on the above information, but NONE of it applies to worker's compensation benefits.   Make sure he tells the doctor right away that it is worker's compensation and make sure he goes to a doctor ya'll like.   The company will have a 'panel of physicians' that he can choose from.  Make sure to get one who you think will be good and fair to you.   You cannot change him later--you will be tuck with him and in VA claims, it must be someone from your company's panel.  Your usual physician may or may not be on that list.     I've adjusted for all 50 states, longshoreman's, and war arena claims (non-military personal, corporate contracted employees, and some private contractors fall under this not military).  If there is any reason this would not be a VA claim that can also be taken into consideration and would change they way the claim is handled.  

Your biggest concerns right now should be timing--go to the doctor yesterday!   and documentation.  Make sure everyone on board knows he hurt it at work.  There should be zero copays or treatment costs.  Everything should get billed to his job.  Do not wait to go to a doctor.  

• Like 4

Hi Dr's office may even not see him for a workman's comp claim as not every Dr's office will see patients for work related injuries. They should have advised him to go to occupational health or the ER when he injured himself. His work will have to pay for the visit. I hope he starts feeling a bit better soon.

• Like 2

Cleaned part of house this morning that didn't get done the other day.  Thinking about washing car this afternoon when it gets a bit warmer. Should be going up to 67* today.  Then will drain hose and recover the Fauset. 

GS is finally asleep. He will be seeing family doctor on Monday morning. They are closed through New Year's. We have walk in clinics, but they are no good. He went to one when he hurt his back and they did nothing for him. The work note was just a printout on typing paper instead of on an RX pad. Work does not except that type of work note. They also would not do X-Ray of his back. So, he won't go back to them. I also don't think they would take workman's comp at some of those places. So, his family doctor is going to see him. He is also my doctor and I had gotten him to see him right after he moved here as he was not very healthy looking. He does the X-Rays and did X-ray of his back as well when he saw him a few months ago. He had severe back strain at that time.  He also takes workman's comp. So, he should be in good hands. Basically, all that can be done is to wrap the rib cage to make it easier to breath and to move around a bit. I have already done that, and it has helped though he is still hurting. He told both of his bosses and another person about what happened, so it was documented the day it happened. They only have one person that works on the equipment, and he can't keep up and they can't find anyone that works on the equipment as it seems no one wants to work.

• Like 1

Took GS to patient first. That was a joke. Family doctor closed till Monday, and he needed a note to go back to work on Sunday night. So, we went there. They did an X-ray but sending it out to be read by someone else as they can't rule out a crack in the rib. It is the lower rib cage. So, for now they just put it on severe bruise. They will call when they find out for sure but did check his lungs as it hurts him to take a deep breath. Didn't give him anything for pain either. But at least he got his doctors note. HR called him also for the workman's comp. He only missed one day of work but not sure how his performance will be when he goes back as he does a lot of heavy lifting on his job. They will more than likely put him on light duty. His rib cage is still very swollen. They wouldn't even tape it which when I taped it here it did help. So, I will just continue with what I was doing for now. Told him to continue with Advil for the pain and swelling. He won't use an ice pack nor a heating pad though. 

After we left there, we went and got some dinner. We were at patient first for over 3 hours. So didn't eat dinner till around 9pm. I hate eating that late, but it was what it was. And yes, his doctor's note is on an RX pad. That they will except. 

• Like 2

Cleaned kitchen this morning and did a few other things around house. Might get the bathroom curtains made today. I just can't seem to get myself started on sewing at this point. Been really tired for a while now. More than likely, it is weather related. I was fine on the warmer days and today it is rainy, cloudy and foggy outside. And not much energy again. I am ready for spring. 

• Like 2

It is now New Years Eve.  We made it thru the cold snap fine...just lost water for a couple days because someone else in neighborhood broke a pipe and what with multiple broken pipes the water company just shut the whole area off until they could find and fix.  I will demand a pro-rate discount on my next water bill (just to keep them on their toes).  All the critters did fine too...everbody seemed to like their reinforced digs, the chickens loved the heat lamp (I think it reminded them of being chicks under that same lamp when we first got them).  Or maybe they just appreciated the heat and not having to bunch up to keep warm.   Not everyone fared so well.  One of the ladies at Tractor Supply lost some of her chickens to the cold.  Never having lived in snow/cold/ice berg country she did not know how to insulate and warm the coop.  

As soon as things warmed up one of our neighbors children took their part-pit-bull dog for a walk, and as soon as they got by our property he lost control, the dog broke loose and started chasing cats.  He nipped one, too, and when the young lad tried to catch the dog he got bit.  Finally he grabbed it and dragged it away.  Cat is limping some, but does not seem to be vet-hurt.  The other neighbor came by to see if we got hurt, and told us his children were afraid to play outside because they let that dog run free.  Hopefully getting a ticket will deter that...we have seen him around late at night...maybe not anymore.  

Then I got my social security check, and we laid in quite a few supplies, as there were genuinely good sales on canned veggies (half price), hams (spiral sliced, we got three), bulk pack chicken thighs or drumsticks (30 percent off), and several staples we use regularly.  If the stores follow their usual pattern all the "sales" will disappear in January, and prices will go up.  So we stocked up on things we regularly use.  Today we packed meat...we cut those three hams into slices sized for our ziplock bags, in meal size portions.  Same with the 30 lbs of chicken drumsticks and thighs we bought.  Mary and I are both bone-tired...Lots of housework needed catching up on after our water was off and being out shopping.  Weather was on-again, off-again rain, so the critters had to be fed indoors.  And, of course, we had to do the meat  because the refrigerator was FULL after all that stocking up.  It's worth it though even if it does give our arthritis reason to act up.  (I had been looking for a canned veggie sale this fall, as the "old" stock was  sold off to make room for the new.  Last year they did not do it so we were needing to build up our pantry again.)

Our garden is waiting for the weather to moderate a bit more.  Then we will be prepping the soil and planting "winter" crops.  Hopefully.  

Happy New Year to all, and may your new year be rich in things the world does not understand and does not give...peace, serenity, joy, and most of all love.  I doubt if the "worldly world" will improve in the coming year. I hope I'm wrong 

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

Happy New year everyone.   I have been up with GS bringing in the New Year. Now I can't sleep. Been going through the pantry with GS to make sure of what he will eat. There are a lot of things he didn't realize I had that he would eat. So that is good. So will be making stuff for him and we won't talk about the sneaky veggies I started doing to get him eating veggies. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.  I am wondering how things are going to go for 2023. The things I keep hearing is how there will be even less food and possible famine. Don't know how that will affect the USA as it seems we are the last to feel the effects. But for the other parts of the world, it is already really bad. I am hoping that things won't get any worse than they have been. But only time will tell. 

• Like 1