MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Mt. Rider keeping you in prayer for your MS issues as well as your sleeping issues.  Hope things get better soon.  And though your mom's house has sold, and you know that money will help her out, those memories will always be with you.  I know all too well how giving up something that so many memories had been made in, but times change and as much as I hate to say it, we have to change with those times. But new memories can be such fun also with new memories to add to all those other memories.  Take care and get well soon.

EmeraldCat, glad you got your yard all raked up. I know that is a great feeling to have all that done. 

euphrasyne, I know your turkey will be a great success as you seem to be a very good cook. You come up with so many ideas to use up stuff. I love it. Just wish my DD's kids didn't take after their picky father. That is where the picky eating side of family comes from. DD would eat any type of veggie and soups. Oldest GD is doing a bit better and at least she tries new foods. As for the other two, forget it. But times are changing, food will become more expensive and harder to get and so they will learn to eat what they can get. And be happy and thankful to have that. 

Got green beans canned last night and this morning got those boxed up for GS. Washing clothes and doing a bit of light housework today. Got a few things packed up for trip.  Called neighbor to keep eye on house for me. So that is all in order. After the break ins around here, thought it best to let my neighbor know I would be out of town for three days. It would be 4 days, but GS has to work on Sunday. He's sleeping now and has to work tonight. Then he's off till Sunday. Well, lunch break is over. So back to work. 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE. MAY IT BE A VERY BLESSED DAY. WE DO HAVE LOTS TO BE THANKFUL FOR. 

• Like 6

:)   I took whole Unisom at 10:30pm.  Then I took another 1/2 pill an hour later and quickly tried to wrap things up and get body into bed.  Read a little bit and....FELL ASLEEP!  Woke at 9:30am from dog barking at Chewy delivery.  :amen:    THAT was a normal night.  

And tho the morning was a bit harsh, in the late afternoon I got energy to walk with dog to feed and close up the duckhouse.  Waiting for them to eat, Dog and I climbed the steep hillside again.  Haven't done that since got back from IA trip early Oct.  I had to take it slow....stop to catch breath..untangle Zippy Dog's retractable leash.  But it was fine.  Hadn't done that since Sept. 

THEN I made scalloped potatoes, cheese, mushroom, etc.  DH got home and had been to store.  Brought a big sack of Brussel's Sprouts.  Threw one to dog and cooked a few of those too. 

:blink:    .....what happened?  Sleeping normal hours resetting my system?  Want more!

MtRider .....hmph, we'll see how this goes.  One night doesn't guarantee anything.  :whistling:  :pray: 

• Like 5

Still not walking today.:(
Decided to make a green bean casserole to go with the leftovers.
Also, making scalloped potatoes so I can use some of my dehydrated potato slices and see how they are.
Will be going through some Christmas stuff later.

7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

hmph, we'll see how this goes.  One night doesn't guarantee anything. 

Exactly!  Tried something new last night.  Took regular zyrtec and melatonin.  Then one 15 mg Restoril (she said to take one or two) and one 50 mg trazadone (she said I could take one to three of them).  The combo gave me 7 hours and 55 minutes sleep.  I hope these lower doses of this combo will work for awhile!  No vertigo so far.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Whoa, Miki!  How complicated it that? 

My mom has trouble staying asleep.  I have trouble going to sleep but I'm fine after accomplishing that!  I did go to sleep ....after an hour of waiting for sleep.  Woke at 9:30....dropped back to sleep.  Got up at 10:30am.  Wow...unless I have an appointment, I haven't seen those hours for a long time.

But I had a noise in my ears.....thot it was an alarm of some kind.  Nope....wasn't.  Too much Unisom?  Sheeeesh!!!  Took a while to get it outta my head.  :sassing:  

MtRider :shakinghead: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Thanksgiving was nice. Until it wasn't. Son called.

One of their three dogs died while DIL was holding it. Right in front of G-son. It was the elderly dog that came to live with them when DIL's mother died last year. Dang it. Now every Thanksgiving will be a reminder of Brody, and of course her mother. At least there is no snow on the ground so they will be able to bury him. Wish he could have held out until after the holidays. I hate this for them. One of their other dogs is around 14 years old so...  Life sucks sometimes. Sigh. 

• Sad 6

Today, I will walk the dogs and that's it for walking.  What I have is a Tailor's bunion (nope, I'm not a tailor), so waiting for shoes and gel pad.

Going to lunch with a friend.

Hope to decorate front porch for Christmas.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

For those that take sleeping aids, have you tried the ZzzQuil? It’s kind of a new product.

It's main ingredient is Benedryl.  Benedryl makes me want to clean house instead of sleep.  LOL  But thank you for the suggestion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy Thanksgiving ladies.  Hope you enjoyed yours.  CM (Chainsaw Mary, LOL, she loves that monicker) and I scurried about trying to hook up all the electrical cords to our Christmas display this year.  She likes to turn it on Thanksgiving night.  We got most of the bugs out, found a few more after dark, LOL. 56 displays, lights synched to music, plus our new "folk art" (home made) plywood cutouts.  We decided to wait on the eight foot tall "seasons greetings" archway over the entrance this year as we ran out of time.  

CM saw me sketching it into my idea notebook, and insisted we do it.  Next year.  We are both tired and sore and need to recover some before the Christmas baking seasonn starts up.

Our critters are doing fine.  The baby goats are now eating hay like big boys, and although we dont miss the bottle feedings extra work we are sure we love on them a bit when we feed them.  They are cuter than cute!  The chickens like their greenhouse digs, I have finally figured out what kind of perch and nesting boxes I want to put in there and how to make them portable, so when we move the greenhouse everything else will go too. 

Emerald Cat, chickens are easy to raise.  This is our first batch too, and I can still hear my Grandmothers chuckle when I told her I wanted to raise chickens but was confused by all the conflicting info on what to feed, how to feed, and what to buy (mostly written in informative articles by the companies trying to sell me stuff, LOL.)  She said, and I quote...

"Chickens are easy, they always were my favorite livestock.  They will eat anything you throw in the pen.  They will nest anywhere they find a place to sit that they like.  You brood the chicks under a heat lamp...if they bunch together its too cold, if then avoid going under it its too hot.  Any big box that will hold them will do for brooding them, must make sure they get ehough water and chick starter feed (cut finer so it is easier for them to eat).  Once their true feathers start to come it move them to a regular pen, with a rain/wind shelter they can hide in from weather.  Throw in their feed, keep the waterer full and you are all set." 

We bought 8, only lost one, and pretty much did it just like she said.  We brooded them in the bathtub we dont use often, covered with a grate to keep the cats and their kittens out.  They are now in a 10x10 ft greenhouse, with a chicken wire fence 4 foot high (they are banties, for regular hens higher would be better) all around the inside.  We open windows and doors as weather requires, and they run around as if they are pastured.  I am just now getting in a roost and nest boxes, they are not mandatory, but do help keep things cleaner.  Chickens are dirty birds, and will roost on the highest point in the area (and crap all over it!) including feeders and waterers, but I just take them out and hose them clean, refill, and replace as needed.  I also treat them to a couiple handfuls of greens...grass, weed cuttings, carrot peels, etc with their scratch feed (the stuff you throw around the pen for them to scratch up and eat) and they love it.  I have bug traps set for our abundant water bugs, crickets, etc. and feed them to the hens too as a treat.  They fight over them! The roosters keep us in stitches with their efforts to crow.  They do watch over the hens, very solicitously.  I wish Grandma was still alive, she would be about 125 years old now, and she would be enjoying those chickens!  And she was right, they are easy.  Im thinking about getting more of them!

The aforementioned cats we kept out of our "chicken tub" all had their babies indoors as temps were 100 plus.  Now they are all outside again, running all over the place and catching the squirrels and snakes that plague us.  If only they could do something for the pesky armadillos!  Their divots in the yard are hazards to navigation.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I keep typing up my posts and then forgetting to hit submit :shrug:

Had a nice Thanksgiving. Very easy prep with all my new countertops. Poultry fencing arrived yesterday and I put it up. It will be triple purpose- a "fence" for the rules about keeping poultry in town, a surrounding fence to keep critters out of my garden and a place for me to let my dog Ruby out to run around in the yard until we get a proper fence put up. I also bought a chicken coop with a run which will go in once I put it together. Not getting my chicks until April but it's taking me so long to do anything I wanted to get a head start. Also helps me to plan my layout for next spring's garden.  

• Like 6

I'm going to try to walk the dogs today. Foot still not right and new shoes have not arrived.
Print cookie recipes. DH wants me to make up a bunch of cookie dough rolls so we have them throughout the year. Will print shortbread, chocolate chip, white chocolate chip maple, sugar cookies and maybe oatmeal cookies. I baked the last of my frozen dough a couple of days ago (sugar cookies). It was from 2020 and they were great. Just keep them sealed and frozen.
May make out a few Christmas cards.
Put up Christmas tree.
I'm so glad that I have not made myself so busy that I don't enjoy life, this season!

6 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

it's taking me so long to do anything I wanted to get a head start.

Isn't that the truth?!  Me too.

• Like 3

Miki, Hope your foot heals soon. I know how painful feet can be.  Two bone spurs got me. 

Hope everyone can get some sleep.  I hate being tired. But I also have those nights. 

We had a great time at DD's house. I had no issues getting there. We drove straight through. I was tired and my lower back was sore, but not too bad. Got there on Thursday morning and GD from SC got there early Thursday afternoon.  We all had a great time. GD and her DH left for home late Friday evening to head back to SC as her DH is leaving town on Monday for his job for a couple of days.  GS and I left Saturday afternoon as he had to work today. Thank goodness for cruise control. My knee started hurting and that gave me a rest. Not used to going 70 plus miles per hour anymore. But did fine. Friday DD, DGD and I went to the outlets down where she lives. It was a lot of fun but crowded. Got a bit of Christmas shopping done. 

This morning I started pulling some of the Christmas decorations out to get started on decorating the house. GD said they put their tree up on Halloween. That's early. 

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

• Like 6

Finally home safe, PTL!  

Set up MiIL’s Christmas tree & decorations, cooked for Thanksgiving for her & her neighbors…. Nuf said. :imoksmiley:

Traffic was a bear, several accidents…. Stop n go, fast traffic, zooming past, then almost stopping….  We lost count how many were on the phone talking or texting….  Or..the ones, alone in their car wearing a mask….  

• Like 9

Glad you had a great time Littlesister! I won't do the Black Friday shopping. Especially with all the shootings and mobs of people these days. The very worst day I ever shopped was the day after Christmas. The people returning gifts and looking for Christmas bargains was insane! Not to mention the traffic. Never again. 

Now days Black Friday deals seem to start a week before Thanksgiving anyway. I did go 'Window Shopping' though. As in Microsoft Windows. I got some more angel hair pasta, rotini pasta and some more macaroni. I'm going heavy on pasta in my pantry. I like it, it's filling and I can add it to stretch other meals. Also another case (12) of Ramen noodles. I only eat about 1-2 of the big bowels a month so I'm set on that for awhile. 

I picked up another power pack charging doohickey thing for cell phone/Kindle. I had one but now I'll have one for the other house. And a sweater. I hope this one is a little heavier than the last one. Oh, and one of those mini chain saws for trimming small twig/branches. I have a lot of small trimming that needs done in Indy and the loppers hurt my hands after a few cuts. This one comes with two batteries and two extra chains. I guess I'll see how it does next summer. That was my big Christmas shopping haul for myself. Everything was on sale and I'll see if there is anything interesting on Cyber Monday today.

• Like 6

Glad you made it through Thanksgiving too Annarchy! I missed out on the traffic this year since I stayed home. Son and DIL were getting over the flu so I begged off. 

I see people in a car alone, driving with a mask on too. :grinning-smiley-044:  I have caught myself doing it when I'm going from one store to another in the same area. I quickly unhook one ear when I notice it. I can't imagine driving any distance in one though. Those darn things make me so short of breath when I'm shopping in them. Passing out short of breath. I could get an exemption but it's not worth people giving me dirty looks thinking I'm an entitled spoiled brat. They do keep me warm outside in the winter though.  

• Like 4

Glad you both made it home safely @Annarchy and @Littlesister!

This morning, will go to local grocery for sale.  Maybe stop at Walmart since it is Monday morning.  See if there is anything left from Friday.
Come home and make Turkey Tetrazzini.
Get into shed for a few Christmas decorations.
Clean up air fryer to sell. It takes up too much space and ended up being a really expensive toaster.
Sure hope my new shoes come today!

• Like 5

I never go shopping on black Friday.  My dislike of people much outweighs my love of stuff.   I am all over cyber Monday though.   I broke down and bought myself a silhouette cameo 4 for Christmas this year.   From dh and kids of course.  

• Like 5

Annachy glad you got home safe. Hope your trip was wonderful.

Normally I don't go out on black Friday, but DD and DGD decided we would go to the NC outlets. They are about 6 miles from my daughter.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But was a bit crowded. That place is huge, and I thought the Williamsburg pottery was huge. This one has them beat. But it was fun. 

Jeepers I also see people riding alone in cars with a mask on. the funniest one was when DS and I were coming home from DD's house we took the scenic route. It was all country and not a lot of houses. A man came out to his mailbox and had a mask on. No one anywhere near him. 

This morning I went to Michael's for things to redo my poor 15-year-old reef that I put on front door. So will be hoping to work on that tomorrow. Then went to T J Max hoping to find a few Christmas gifts. Got GS a cast iron frying pan for when he gets his apt. He can't destroy that I hope. He knows how to use and clean them so should be good. His dad said that is the only frying pan he needs. I have a couple of regular frying pans that I will give him also. Don't think he will want to use the cast iron one for everything.  While in Michaels they had the T shirts on sale 3 for $9.97.  they were picked over and only one long sleeve which is what I wanted. So ended up getting 6 short sleeved ones. That was a good price, and I didn't know they had them on sale.  Came home and started canning up the turkey.  I did the ground turkey in 1/2 pints for GS as I think a pint would be too much for him and he would just waste what he doesn't use. He's not much on leftovers. Got 8 1/2pints. I was going to can the legs and wings but am cooking that up for him to just eat with rice. Tonight, is his short night so am cooking them up now. Tomorrow I will head to store as I need some things to make up turkey broth with the turkey bones. Will come home and get that started tomorrow morning.  

• Like 5

Bought a  ham at the  local grocery, today. Already  baked, packaged and  froze it. I use one little  snack  bag  of ham to season  3 pounds of  dried  beans. That will make  a lot of meals!  I had 14 little  bags and the bone. 

And my new shoes  arrived!  Back to  walking  in the morning  if it isn't raining. 

• Like 8

Drat!  I'm an hour past bedtime for the Unisom to work.  Just looked at the time.  I have been getting to sleep better....waking up in the morning instead of noonish.  :buttercup: 

Fun to read what all you folks did.  We had the ham and stuff.  Not really planned out.  Had intended to go to the community dinner but....DH read the date wrong...didn't notice that it was the day BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Dark when we drove up.  But....there was the ham.  :shakinghead: 

My mom is now wearing her "life alert" product.  :amen: 

Bro told her she doesn't need a passport to the Bahamas......  :shrug: 

Due to not trusting my legs lately, Dog and I took my old truck down the hill to put ducks/geese in bed tonite.  Took walk on road with her.  Got into the truck and ....I'M OUTTA GAS, for pete's sake!  SO VERY GLAD we never park in the driveway and shut off the vehicle.  Always pull them off to one side......so when DH got home, he was confused at my truck down there, but could get the car past and get up to the house.   He'll get some gas down there tomorrow.  :sassing: 

MtRider   :offtobed:  

• Like 5

Y’all, I’m getting a colonoscopy and upper gi thing (forget what that one’s called) today. In the facility now and waiting…and waiting… :( I’m very nervous as I hate any sort of anesthesia. I’d appreciate any prayers I can get! :pray: I hate medical stuff so much. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, EmeraldCat said:

Y’all, I’m getting a colonoscopy and upper gi thing (forget what that one’s called) today. In the facility now and waiting…and waiting… :( I’m very nervous as I hate any sort of anesthesia. I’d appreciate any prayers I can get! :pray: I hate medical stuff so much. 

I'm praying for good results!  You are probably done with procedures by now.

I'm glad you were at home when you ran out of gas, @Mt_Rider.  I can get a life alert thing through medicare, but haven't done it yet.

Got up and walked this morning, then came home and filled out return to Amazon for shoes. Sigh.  Brand new pair of same brand I have bought for the past 18 years, but these must be made with crappy materials and have almost no support in insoles. But I did make it through the walk and walked dogs. Not sure, may wear a pair of sandals with support tomorrow but that won't work through the winter.
Did laundry.
Next, will un-decorate front porch (Fall)
Clean up air fryer to sell.
Bought a 3 # box of pecan pieces that need to be packaged, vacuum sealed and frozen.

Our storms are supposed to come through tonight (of course), getting ready for that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2