MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Freezer was still good and running. Seems something was blocking the intake air valve or something. But now everything is back in freezer and it is working great. Was going to can the port tomorrow morning if it didn't start working again and take the rest of food to neighbors house. I put the pork back in freezer since it was still frozen. I would rather wait to get it all done at one time as I have about 6 more rolls of pork loin in the big freezer. So will do it all at same time after Grandkids are settled and not running all over my house for things. GD and her DH are back from New Jersey. They are still here and staying with his parents as his grandparents are here also from out of town and he wants to spend time with them before going back home. They are also looking for a place to live. Hoping to find a house versus an apartment.  GD's DH has to report in 2 weeks and they have nowhere to live yet. Hope they find something soon. 

• Like 4

I did get to ride today.  I didn't hear from them til this morning so I rode in afternoon.  The forecast says thunderstorms in afternoon all week....have been saying that for days.  Hasn't done more than sprinkle a bit yesterday...tho it was cloudy and cool for our electrical issues.  Today was pretty warm.  Shorts and tank top.  Trying to stay cool but the ride was wonderful.  Helped the 'kink in my low back'.  Figured it would help or harm....didn't know which.  It was even to hot to bring the dog.  She stays in car while DH grocery shops.  Then they come back for me.  Not this day. 

My mom misses the much cooler weather out here.  But she's got A/C and can have whatever temp she wants.  They've got more oxygen out where she lives now tho. 

DH and I are finding that we're a lot more drained than it first appeared.  Uff tah!  So we're making everything as simple as possible.  This too, shall pass.  Only thing we have to do next week is audiologist for me .  Can ya hear me now?  No....I'm missing too much.  Would love to get rid of the constant HISSSSSSSSSSSSSing in my ears.  :shrug:   We'll see what happens. 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Littlesister glad your freezer is still working! That is a big job

Miki good idea to file an incident report. Sad people do things like that!

Mt Rider hope the audiologist can help!

I made chicken and squash/zucchini for dinner tonight. First meal from the garden which was great. Will shred the rest of the zucchini and squash tomorrow since they are too big to do much else with. I got all the laundry done and put away and the suitcases unpacked except one which I will take care of tomorrow. I need to get myself adjusted back to the right time zone too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hazy, Hot, Humid, Smokey and Stormy. Just miserable out there today.

And who shows up? The junk guys!

What troopers they were. They were running late but called. The storms were holding them up. I wouldn't have blamed them if they would have canceled. Two really nice guys in two big trucks came ready to work. They were just fantastic. They weren't big guys but they hossed that big furniture around like it was nothing. It was a help that they didn't have to worry about damaging a wall or floor. What wall and floor :D.  I gave them both a tip because they deserved it. I am so happy that old furniture etc. is out of there. I also had about a dozen very heavy boxes too. I couldn't even lift them. ServePro had packed them.

I always wondered how I was ever going to get rid of that stuff. They even squeezed in a big bench I had sitting on the front porch that I had forgot to mention. I told them I'd probably need them again for the garage. He said they love doing garages and storage units Just back the truck up and start pitching. I will admit that I did hate to see a couple of pieces go. But I don't have room for them at the other house and they would have just sat in the garage gathering dust and taking up room. I was serious about down sizing and not holding on to stuff I have no room for. I still have plenty of stuff left.  :sEm_blush: 

I just saw an ad for 1-800-GOTJUNK on the computer. It said "All you have to do is point and it disappears."  It's true!  I'm spending the rest of the day on the computer resting my back and watching...Hoarders. That's where I first heard about the junk company. I relate to them. All of them.  :grinning-smiley-044:

And I have a big fly buzzing around my head and bouncing off the light beside me. Sigh.  Wonder how it got in here. Or how it will get out. I don't even have a fly swatter. Or an old fashioned swatter... a rolled up newspaper. Hope he dies of natural causes soon. Hope its a he and not a pregnant she. You know my luck. What is the life expectancy of a fly anyway? Will have to Google that too. 

28 days for a fly. I figure we have about 2 weeks left at the most. It was pretty big when it arrived.

Edited by Jeepers
More Stuff
  • Like 5

Letting go can make you feel so free.  Yes, you will think back later on about how much you could use that item right now, but...you will make do.

• Like 5

True Ambergris. A couple of years ago I tried to donate some of the furniture to our Cleveland Furniture Bank for the needy. I did have some nice pieces. But they were going to charge me by the piece for them to come and get it, unless I dragged it out of the house and set it on the front porch. Then it was an extra fee if they had to go upstairs to move a piece. I had 2 big bedroom suits a nice desk etc, upstairs. All solid wood. And a whole living room set that was rarely used. No stains or wear or tear or anything.  I wasn't in such a charitable mood to pay to donate my furniture. Too bad really. 

A couple of pieces I would have liked to have kept. An oak secretary and an oak bench with a curved back. Both pieces were big and heavy but I just have no room for them any more. Plus son would have had to move them. I sort of wanted them but I know it was the right decision. I'll get over it. 

I'm really down sizing but it still a good size house. Especially for one person. But the square footage isn't really that much less...on paper. I couldn't figure out why it seemed like there is so much less room. Then it dawned on me. Ohio house has a separate family room and living room. Indy house just has one great room. More of an open floor concept. So, that's why it appears smaller. I'm losing a lot of wall space to hang pictures on and set furniture up against. Same amount of bedrooms except the rooms are a little smaller. And while the kitchen is big enough, its a galley kitchen so no end walls to hang stuff on or to set a cart along a wall. The Indy house is 30 years newer and those designs of houses are just different. I'm not complaining, it's just different and as you said, I'll make do. :D 

• Like 3

Jeepers, you are doing great getting rid of things you might never use. I do have both den and living room plus dining room. It is a 3 bedroom house but the only bedroom suit will soon be just mine that I am using. I still have the dining room suit but no kitchen table. Just the counter top bar with bar stools. So I will continue to use the dining room during holidays plus I use it for craft stuff the rest of the time.  

GS just left a bit ago from washing clothes. He is working early tomorrow and will be here Tuesday for a cookout. Said he is planning on being here around noon.  And he told me he now likes okra and eggplant fried. So now he is learning to eat more veggies. Just a little at a time is a good start.  He was checking the garden and found 2 tiny watermelons. So now watching those also. The cantaloupe isn't doing anything.  

Been going through things in garage today. Boxing up more junk to go to Goodwill.  

Ambergris is right. It does make you feel free to not have all that stuff around that you will never use. But at least I am able to help GS out with things he will need and use. He is the last one to be helping out so after that even more stuff will be going out of here. Just the thought of not having all that stuff to clean and dust every week is a blessing. 

Jeepers it is hard to let some things go but that is progress. I am learning now that I just don't need things I used to use and haven't used in well over a year.  Haven't gotten to the shed yet and I want to get to that material. Might just go out there and move things around to get to it. I moved a lot of things out there to make room for DH's wheelchair and other things that I was needing for him. Those things I am keeping as it is now part of my preps.  So I am storing a wheelchair, 2 cains, walker, rollator, bedside commode, and a few other things. Once the shed is cleaned out, I will be putting all of that in there in one corner. I want to run a small window air conditioner in there as it does get very hot in there during the summer months.  Something to think about.  

• Like 4

I thought about a couple of items for a few months. I liked them a lot but they would just take up valuable real estate in the garage. Son said to pitch them so I did. He didn't want them after I'm gone either so what was the use. Especially since I had the junk guys right there to help me. 

I am keeping all of my prep stuff though. All of it! Some of it can stay out in the second garage. I figure anything that doesn't go in or on the body like meds etc. will be safe to store out there. It isn't heated or cooled either. I have things like a bedside potty, emesis basins, bed pans, canes, paper gowns/hats/booties and things like that. If I had a rollator or wheel chair I'd keep it out there too. 

I did pitch all of my medical stuff. It was in the basement that was 2 feet underwater for a couple of months and mold was forming. Mold grows VERY fast BTW . I just didn't trust it. Especially using it on an already sick person. And I didn't want to transport that mess to the new house. That was an easy decision. I had some gift cards and I nearly have it all built back up except for some winter meds. I am working on them too. Just more slowly. 

I've thought about a window air conditioner for that garage. A small one is pretty cheap. Around $300.00 or less. But I'm never out there so for me, I think it would be a waste of energy just for what I'd store out there. Maybe if I stored cans of food out there I would.

• Like 4

Jeepers so glad the junk guys came through for you! I bet it feels amazing to have it all gone

Littlesister glad your garden is coming along and that's great your GS is liking more vegetables. We have some watermelon I think coming along and pumpkin for sure. I shredded 30 cups of zucchini today and 4 gallon bags of sliced and blanched summer squash. I did 2 sliced and 2 diced and had 6 fresh ones I cut in half will used for zucchini boats tomorrow for dinner. Super happy with having a harvest right after getting back. Some cherry tomatoes are ripening too so won't be long until I have yummy goodness for my salads. We got the new air conditioners in today and it's much more comfortable downstairs now.

• Like 4

Wow, Becca Anne!  Your timing was perfect.  I miss not having veggie options near to hand.  Gotta rely on grocery store.  Or farmers market but they aren't open yet. 

I think my low back pain is from lifting the under-bed totes.   To make a way for the poor electrician to access the first outlet.  I remember now that I felt the pull.  So...I'm applying arnica gel.  That seems to work for me but not DH.  He uses these Chinese somethine in a tincture drops bottle.  I'm also shifting positions with laptop from living room chair to hospital bed set upright.  And my back felt even better when I walked the dog.  Oh yay!  It felt better after riding horse too.  :happy0203: 

Jeepers ...I'll bet you can barely recognize your house by now.  So glad the junk guys were kind and efficient.  You're knocking 'em down one by one, gal!  :cheer: 

Recovery day around here.  Other than DH's usual MWF for 4 hrs....the only thing we have this whole week is my hearing appt.  That will be a journey over to the city again...in a vehicle without strong A/C.  I'm voting for rain.   Whew!  ....the next week however... I have 3 appointments.  :0327:    But....P.T. is helping and the third is my primary doc...checking in with her.

Little Sister, my mom's in northern VA.  She took a look at her 2 pots of petunias today and gasped.  Ran to water them.  Totally dry and laying over.  :lois:   She enjoys them so much but tends to forget if she doesn't go out to sit on her patio cuz it's HOT!  She said they came back up, tho a bit bedraggled.  They've only had rain one day recently.  Had some of Canada's smoke tho.

MtRider  :offtobed:  

• Like 4

Wow, Jeepers!  I would imagine you feel so much lighter with everything gone!  I would.

I'm glad that your garden did so well while you were gone, Becca Anne!  

I'm happy that your garden is doing so well, also Little Sister!

This morning, I will walk first.
Then walk dogs.
Set up DH's meds for the next month.
Do laundry.
Cook burgers for DH and then make the Birthday shrimp and grits!

• Like 4

:hapydancsmil:  Heard the first cicada yesterday!!!!  30 day and then we get rain!  So, says the old wives tale…. :hapydancsmil:

Fresh veggies, and zucchini too!  Awesome.  I haven’t been able to get much from zucchini plants.  One or two, before the bugs devour the leaves…or the heat… they also don’t grow well in the fall, I think it has to do with how much daylight they get.  IDK.

Right now, the only thing left in the garden is a few onions and carrots that have seeds….  The spice garden is still growing, enduring the heat…. 108° in the shade yesterday.

Today, I am emptying the ‘hot tub’, cleaning it, and refilling with cold water, to watch the fireworks tomorrow…. Plus, I will probably prepare the brisket with a dry rub overnight, then, put it on the BBQ first thing in the morning.

• Like 3

Got back from farm market a while ago.  Didn't get much. No cantaloupe. But did get watermelon, corn on cob, a couple of tomatoes as mine are still green and a few other non veggie stuff that I needed.  GS will be here tomorrow for a cookout.  So getting ready for  that. He doesn't like hotdogs much but will eat a hamburger. 

So I decided on ribs for tomorrow. I haven't had ribs in a long, long while and GS loves ribs so I will fix that on grill. Not sure if GD is still in town or not. They are supposed to go back home tomorrow I think. They are looking hard for a house here near the Coast Guard base. Hope they find something soon. I think the all the kids will be here both next weekend and the weekend after. So will be a busy couple of weeks and then I can get my house in order. GS is working on a plan to better organize my spices. He is really coming a long way from the way he had been acting. I guess living on his own was a better option for him. But at least I gave him that starting chance. 

It is very hot outside today. Can't work out there unless it cools off this evening. I will have to water everything again. 

Jeepers the reason I am wanting to put a small air conditioner in the shed is because it gets very hot in there. I had some plastic battery operated candles in there and the heat melted them. And with the wheelchair and things the leather can get sticky and that is hard to clean when that happens. So just trying to protect what I have which is a lot of preps and now the medical equipment as well. Not keeping food or vits. in there. I keep those in closet in the house and pantry. 

Mt. Rider, where your mom lives it gets very hot there as well. So she needs to be careful outside as not to get dehydrated. Flowers need watering just about everyday as it is so humid if they are in pots. 

Becca Anne I know you are glad to be back home again and your garden was doing so well.  But I also know you had a really great time with new grandchild and site seeing.  I am hoping next year to be able to take a trip. Not just to visit my cousins as that is part of the plan but also to just maybe hike through the mountains while I am in Lynchburg. Maybe Luray caverns and other sites while I am there. Going to try to get a couple of cousins to take the trip with me. It will be a lot of fun. 

• Like 3

I went to the house planning to pack up some more boxes. A never ending chore. I stretched out on the little twin size bed and fell asleep. For five hours. I must have needed it but I'll be up all night now. That little bed is the only thing I have to sit on over there. I don't sleep well in the hotel. I wake up about every three hours. I might hear other people in the hall or the parking lot? 

I drove past a huge U-Haul place and went in to get some prices. My gosh, everything costs so much these days! To get a ball joint and install electricity in the back of the Jeep will cost $250.00. Sigh. At least I have the hitch so that saved $100.00. That was a recall item not long after I got it. I don't need a U-Haul right away but I probably will for the final move when I take my personal things out for the last time. I'm just trying to plan ahead. And you need an appointment to get it installed. Son doesn't remember that I will still have to live there after reconstruction, when I get kicked out of the hotel, until the house sells. Hopefully it will be fast but maybe not. I'll still need cleaning supplies, clothing, bedding, toiletries and food etc. It may not all fit in the Jeep. 

G-son has had a lot of loss in his little life. First his grandma, then two pet dogs, then his great uncle and his other grandpa is very ill. All in six years. Now his favorite aunt (who is really his mom's cousin). The last time I talked to him on the phone he said, "Grandma, I hope Aunt Tina doesn't die on my birthday. I've had too much death in my life."  OMG, it broke my heart.  Well Aunt Tina died today. At least it was the day before his birthday. Sigh. She was only in her 40's I think, and was only sick for a few months. And they have one child with Down Syndrome.   Breast cancer that had spread.   :sad-smiley-012:

Crimony. 

• Sad 6

Jeepers, I am so sorry to hear that.  Your GS has been through a lot of death in his young 6 years of life. I just hope that his birthday will be a special one with all that is going on right now. 

I sat down on the couch for a bit to watch the afternoon news and fell asleep sitting straight up. Woke up 3 hours later. Haven't done that in a long time. But I haven't been sleeping as well lately. Guess I just have to much on my mind with things going on around here. 

Won't have to water the garden now. We had thunderstorms and a lot of rain. I think it is slowing down now and passing through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mt Rider glad you figured out what caused your back pain so you can try not to do that again. :bighug2:

Miki Happy Birthday!! :bdaycake: Enjoy your shrimp that sounds yummy

Annarchy that sounds scorching stay in the A/C! I think squash and zucchini really need humidity to do really well but maybe try shade cloth could just be too much sun? :shrug: Mine either do really well or die and I don't think I do much differently so luck of the draw

Littlesister hope your GD and her husband can find a place they like to live soon. That's not much time and not fun to look when you're in a hotel.

Jeepers so sorry for your loss :bighug2:

I had a lot of work at work today. It was a very Monday Monday....2 issues that have to be addressed by the 10th that are really important... I'll just get to it easier than whining about it. Hopeful I understand the issue on one of them it's a bit complicated.

On the home front I have caught up with all the laundry and almost done unpacking. Just one more suitcase of clean clothing to unpack. And all the random bits except one basket put away. I'm off tomorrow for the holiday so just going to relax and enjoy myself for once. Making burgers and corn on the cob and have watermelon, will watch the parade and the fireworks. Happy Independence Day everyone!:americanflag:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some after the Junk guys came pictures. All three bathrooms are gutted down to the studs with just subflooring. So is the foyer, going up the stairs, part of the bed room and going down to the basement walls. All just studs. Along with three downstairs closets.  All of the foyer area ceiling, hall and part of the kitchen ceiling is missing. All of the flooring is down to the subfloor except part of the living room, dining room and one small bedroom. All of that carpet will come out too. Some places in the hall, both upstairs and down, have big gouges in them to the point where you can see through them to the lower level beneath them. Very unsafe to walk on. I have flattened cardboard boxes over them so I don't step through. Even the subfloor will have to be replaced in those areas.  Six months...

My bed room with some of the floor missing.                              Half of the living room. Rest of the carpet needs gone.

image.jpeg       image.jpeg

Kitchen. The dark area is faux brick that will be removed.        Half bath off the bed room. No junk was removed from here though.

image.jpeg      image.jpeg

• Sad 4
On 7/2/2023 at 9:08 PM, Mt_Rider said:

I think my low back pain is from lifting the under-bed totes.   To make a way for the poor electrician to access the first outlet.  I remember now that I felt the pull.  So...I'm applying arnica gel. ... I'm also shifting positions with laptop from living room chair to hospital bed set upright.  And my back felt even better when I walked the dog.  Oh yay!  It felt better after riding horse too.  :happy0203: 

I've been going to PT for a while now for hip/back issues that appear to stem from "bad posture." I have been learning to stand more upright by "tilting" my pelvis into a better position. It seems to be working. Perhaps you could look up "pelvis tilt" and see if working on that could also help with your back pain. :thumbs:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Going to walk first and then walk dogs.
Pull together a list of local Churches to have a get together with in a couple of months.
Probably get out and pick some jalapenos.
Have a great Holiday!

Jeepers, I can't imagine going through what you are, right now.

• Like 4

Gosh, Jeepers, it looks like they can start fixing your water mess… :pray:

Miki, jalapeños!  Awesome, I got one… at least the plant is surviving the heat.

MM, DH has been commenting I am bent over a bit when I walk, tough with back problems and injuries… been watching myself in anything that reflects my image & “trying” to stand up straight…. Ouch, gives me leg cramps, even with my exercises…. :sigh:

Becca_Anne, still looking forward to those pictures you took…….

Little sister, it’s very convenient you are getting rain, something we pray for around here…. Sprinkles only do so much, especially when our water sucks…. We don’t drink it…at all.  

So the brisket is off the grill, resting for an hour, before I cut it, God willing we will get a money shot.  DH sent me a video, how to cook it, without cutting off the fat.  It said, fathers, grands and greats, never cut it off…so I followed the recipe…. I normally don’t do YouTube, & had to pause after each step….  5 am, got the coals lit, prepared the meat, put it on at 6, @ 275° with chunks of hickory…. Every hour adding charcoal and more, soaked hickory…

3, added the last of the hickory, then took it off at 4.  Letting it sit, in the house, and will cut it in a few minutes….  I hope it comes out good…never done it that way before….

So… off the grill……

IMG_7899.jpeg

…and first slices…..

IMG_7900.jpeg

He was impressed.  ‘No trim’ recipe…here’s the YouTube he had me follow…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That looks great, Annarchy!  I bet it was a nice meal!

Will walk first.
Call hearing aid doc for DH as a part broke off one of them.
Pick up friend from dentist and take her to Family Dollar, then home.
Meet a couple of ladies at Church this afternoon to look for membership book and a few other items.
May clean out my bedroom closet. Not sure on that one.

• Like 2

OH. MY. GOSH. ANNARCHY!   It came out looking fantastic!  :feedme:

I have learned tons of stuff from Youtube in all aspects of my life.

Cooking, gardening, canning, home repair, sewing, medical stuff, recalls, documentaries from remote places around the world (I was in a little village in Nepal this weekend) and on and on. Really broadens my horizons.

I also like that other people make the mistakes ahead of time so I don't have to. $$$

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

New batch of corn bread in the rice cooker now.  Black eyed peas (also made in the rice cooker, on a day when I was mostly not home) in the fridge.  

• Like 4