MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Believe me I wasn't nice. At one point the office girl got up and closed the door. She said it was for privacy. It sure was. That person on the speaker phone tried to cut me off a couple of times. I'm a tad hard of hearing and sometimes I talk too loud. And I talk fast normally. She could not interrupt me. I'm faster and louder in the worst of times. I don't want to come off as a bad a$$ but today I was.

As soon as I got the check I did deposit it at my bank. They didn't even put a hold on any of it. I have always loved my bank except when they sold my mortgage to BOA. I never liked them. I don't like my bank in Indiana at all. Centier. They are privately owned and offer no perks. I can never sign in. I have to call them Every.Time. I need to do a money transfer from one account to anther. They end up having to do it for me. And it isn't like I can just drop in. They can NEVER recognize my user name or password. And they don't offer an ATM card. Only debit. I don't use a debit card. And it doesn't automatically renew. The list goes on and on. Problem is my bank, Key, isn't over there. And I didn't know all of this until after I opened an account. I needed something fast to have SS deposited there to take care of the bills over there and get pre approved for a mortgage. Also, there aren't a lot of options over there.

I'm with you. I despise all of the banks except for Key. 35% sounds like a sort of usury fee to me. Dirty Robbers. :mad:

And now I can add insurance companies too. Especially State Farm. The girl in the office said she has a lawsuit against them right now. It has to do with a car. They are all nice until you need them. I found that out in hurry. Nothing is easy anymore. And everyone wants you to do things that you know nothing about or how to go about getting it done. Just lucky I meet with the contractor tomorrow. I think he will know all about what to do. I'll call my agent too if the contractor doesn't. Surly someone will know what BOA wants. They are used to dealing with them. She said what I have is a "Monitored Claim"  

I think the banks are in cahoots with the insurance companies. Insurance companies issue a check to their client but it has to be cosigned by the mortgage lender bank. Then the bank gets to decide what happens to the money. My check was worth more than what I owe on the mortgage. It wasn't their money to keep. Right now I hate them all.

• Sad 5

Remember all the mobsters and gangsters in the roaring 20's?   I think we're doing that again only electronically.  :ph34r:  UN believable!  :pray:    God, please shine the way for Jeepers to NOT be taken by unscrupulous banks, etc. 

Tired of being tired..... You said it, sister!  :grouphug:  

Somehow I have to clear all the areas around electric outlets...again.  And the afternoon rains are returning....  Which is good:  cooler and no fires.  But bad cuz I can't use the porch to haul many things out of the way.  Wind blows the rain onto the covered porch.  Sooooo....  Some of that is going to be Wait And See what he needs moved.  Never put many things back from the first time....you can imagine my chaotic living this year with the pellet stove going out and then the electric....

:hi:   CAN WE BE DONE NOW???  :pray:  

And I have cognitive homework to focus on!!!  Breathe BREATHE ...let air out slowly.  O2 for brain in high altitude.  That's what I'd like to focus on. 

MtRider  ....hang on tight, friends.  It doesn't seem like it's getting any easier, does it?  :pray: 

• Sad 4

The reason those bank robbers were folk heroes is because a lot of them burned mortgages when they went into banks. 

Insurance companies are for-profit corporations.  So are banks.  They are not there to help you.

• Like 5

Agreed Ambergris. Banks and insurance companies are only in it for the money.  I hate my bank. Third merger and even worse. I do have Chartway federal credit union and when after DH passed and I had huge checks coming in I used them because I knew I would not have any issues. All went very smoothly. Had I used Truest for that, it would have been a big hassle. 

Been outside weeding gardens all morning. With all the rain we had it has been a mess. And is still muddy but manageable. Had to come in to take a break. Lunch as I never ate breakfast and ice water. Really tired now. And my shoulder is starting to hurt again. But I will take care of that before I go back outside.   Been a bit foggy today. Seems to be blowing in from the Canadian fires. But not bad. 

Jeepers, I am :pray: for you to get this bank mess resolved soon.  You might need a lawyer before it is over. Talk with the insurance adjuster to see what they can do.  I think any other checks I would just use your other bank if possible and not go through BOA. Seems it would be a lot easier. But not sure how State Farm or BOA would deal with that.  I have State Farm but never had to put in a claim as of yet. Hope it never happens. But you never know with weather these days. Or floods and fires. 

• Like 3

Any check that State Farm issues has to go through BOA. They hold the mortgage. When they issue a check it is in both of our names. Then BOA issues me part of the check in my name only. I think all institutions work this way. But I'm only dealing with two so that's all I know about. It's probably standard operating procedure for them. That's why I said I think the insurance companies and banks are in cahoots. They are holding hands through the entire process while the customers hands are tied behind their back. 

• Sad 4

Consider this.  Businesses of all kinds are in it for the profit. And the bigger ones need to keep the shareholders happy. It makes no difference how kind and caring their advertisements make them sound…..they cannot operate at a loss. Unfortunately, some are more greedy than others.  Remember the old adage though.  The bigger they are the harder they fall.  I believe our economy is in that category.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I had a good day today. I met with my project manager. I was thinking 'interior designer" type. This guy looked like a big ole, good ole, Hoosier boy. LOL We hit it off immediately. He and the contractor and I went through each room deciding what needs done. Fortunately we were all on the same page idea wise. Neutral. I won't be dealing with the contractor any more unless there is a major issue. It's the project manager now. He already knew I'm selling so we were leaning toward what a new buyer would want. It's a long way down the road but we did pick out the floor coverings. That house has so much 1980's dark wood in it so we are going with white kitchen cabinets and stainless steal appliances. Those are all a long way off but at least we have made that decision. A few other little things too. 

Since it only gets one coat of paint, they are going to stick with the color that is on the walls now. Cream. I was going to go gray or beige but it will save me money to do it that way. One coat. They are painting the whole house inside. That's another place I'm saving money. They are stripping the wallpaper in two of the rooms and just painting them. I don't know why it costs so much more to paper rather than paint but I'm fine with that. Maybe the cost of the paper? It was a big savings though.  Better resale value too incase the people wouldn't like my choice. Whatever they don't like it will be repaint ready. There were quite a few little savings like that that really added up. Hopefully I can save some money in the final rehab to use on the outside of the house. It needs major work too so anything will help. They are going to do that work too. On my dime though because it wasn't damaged in the flood, Just neglect. 

BOA called and told me everything they need to release the rest of the funds. I told the contractor and he said it's no problem for him. He will email it all to me and I will email it to BOA. It will have to do with inspections when it gets close to using up the money they sent. Probably more delays when that time comes waiting for an inspector. :rolleyes:

I went online and scheduled 1-800-GotJunk to come out and have a look see. It is going to cost me a lot to do it but it has to be done. I was going to get rid of that furniture anyway. Might as well bite the bullet and get it gone. They are quick! They are coming tomorrow! :o  I'll have to use them for the little stuff and garage stuff later. I wanted to do it all at once but that's the way it goes.   Project Manager said it would really help the workers save time if I get the big stuff out sooner rather than later.  

Project manager is going to bring a dumpster out to get rid of the bathroom cabinets, kitchen countertop and toilets that ServPro left. He said I could also use it to put trash in if I have any. I will. 

So the whole exterior of the house, the junk guys and appliances will be on me personally. Plus all the window coverings, floor vent covers  etc. :0327: But I knew that.

The contractor accepted $35,000. today to get started. I threw in a couple of bucks to round up the $34,000+ check I got yesterday. Not sure when that will be but it's a step forward...I think. 

Oh, and my bedroom light that has been broken since before the flood. They fixed it. Bad light bulb. I swear I did change that bulb. And the fan on it wasn't working either. Now both do. Sigh. All this time I was working in there in the dark and it was a bad bulb.  New bulb but it was just a bad one. One of those curly ones. I can't believe I got so excited over having that light fixed.  :sEm_blush:    Finally, something was fixed in that house.

• Like 5

Jeepers, glad things are now starting to look up for you. I know it has been a long, hard few months with this mess. And you got your light fixed. 

Becca Anne, hope your trip has been a great one. I know it was a lot of fun at Yellowstone. And your son will remember this trip for a long, long time. 

Been weeding garden all morning and then again this afternoon. Not done yet but made good progress. The rain made the grass grow in the garden and it is a bear to get pulled up. More grass than weeds in the one garden. Got it all pulled from around the plants and plants are looking really good. Broccoli is growing good. I have tiny okra now. Watermelon is full of blooms. Still need to weed that area though.  Came in totally beat. Took shower and going to bed early tonight. Want to get out at first light in the morning to finish up on the weeding.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Almost home! I will post more pics when we get home. Yesterday we did Mt Rushmore and today 1880 town and Dignity statue. We are in Omaha and tomorrow will get home. I have had a great time but super ready to sleep in my own bed and see my dog and how much of my garden made it. It is so hot I am not used to the temps. :faint3:Hoping the rain will clear out the smoke over IL before we get there.

Mt Rider glad your electric will finally get fixed!

Jeepers that is so irritating that they didn't release all the funds I hope the contractor can provide what they need to pony up the remainder. I am glad the contractor is willing to work with you to make it happen. You will be so glad to get this all done and I hope you get every penny and more out of that house when you sell.

Littlesister I hope you can get the financial plan worked out so it works for you. Putting some money into easily accessible cash isn't always a bad option. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We are :happy0203::amen:  today cuz we got good news back from medical about DH's surgery.  All is well!  :amen:  :amen:    Thank you for prayers!  We can finally set that issue aside.  

I did work on the areas with electric outlets that need to clear by late tomorrow morning.  Found a couple more {modest} tank tops for P.T.  Tis the season for fighting hyperthermia.  :knary:    We're supposed to have rain but ....  haven't seen any.  I only walked part way tonite.  Even at that, I had to focus on making my R leg/foot walk....not scuffle along.  Brain to Leg....are we connected???  :sassing:  But I did walk.  

Trying to do some of the cognitive assignments.  And doing the breathing exercises. 

MtRider  :pray: for all...

• Like 4

I'm so glad for you and DH @Mt_Rider!  Praise God!

I hope you are home or near home @Becca_Anne!

Mailbox vandalized yesterday evening. Sigh I heard them do it but didn't see. Second time in about 5 months and we are right in town. I mentioned to DH last time that we should get a few cameras up outside. He ignored me. This time, it is his idea, so we will get some up. We did get the mailbox back in working order for now. I want a couple of wrought iron bars to put up on either side. Just for kicks.

Walked already.
Going to help a friend in town for a couple of hours today.
Get in garden for a short time when I get home.

We are under highest severe heat threat (or something like that). Won't stay out long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Mt. Rider, that is such great news about your DH. Prayers were answered. Now relax and put that behind you and move on to the electric. Then you can sit back and really relax for awhile anyway.  Love hearing happy good news. 

Miki, that is awful that someone would destroy mailboxes but it happens a lot and not just mailboxes. Couple of years ago a neighbor was flying down our street on her cell phone and ran up in yard and tore my mailbox out. Hit the telephone pole as well. Had to get a new mailbox an pole then she had to pay to have someone put the new one in. 

Been working in yard most all day. Weeding the garden and flower beds. My body after 2 days of pulling weeds is screaming at me. Wasn't sore yesterday but today I can hardly move. But got a lot done. So that was a plus. 

Don't know if GD and her DH will be coming here tomorrow or not. He should be on his way home from boot camp by now. He has to report to Coast Guard base in 2 weeks. So they will be getting that bedroom suit out of here soon. Then I can fully get my house back together. All the things I have boxed up for GS will then go into the living room for now. Already have some of his things in there. That can stay there till he moves unless I get the living room suit before then. If so I can move his stuff to garage. This has been a long 2 years of trying to get things done. The construction and then kids moving in and out. So at the end of it all now and things should be back to almost normal soon.

• Like 4

I'm sorry Miki. My mailbox gets taken out a couple times every winter from the snow plows. Vandalism seems more personal though. Scoundrels. 

I had another productive day. Two in a row! Who'd a thunkit. 

I can't find my Jeep title. I know I have it...somewhere in that house. So I got up early and went to the license bureau. What a shock. I knew I needed proof of ID and proof of the VIN number. I had my drivers license and my registration and the Vin number is on my insurance card (which they didn't need). She took the info and $17.00 and printed out a new title right then and there. They even added son as a TOD. (transfer on death). Just needed his birthday and S.S. number which I had. I thought I might need it. I was in and out with title in hand in about 10 minutes. Well done Ohio.  

1-800-Gotjunk came out to the house. Whew are they expensive! But it has to be done. Stuff needs gone and I don't want any of it. They were going to take some stuff today but it is going to take 2 1/2 trucks. Sigh. Lots of big furniture and two big appliances. I ordered 2 trucks. When I get to the garage I'll order another full truck to get the rest of the stuff. $1,757.00. Sigh. But it's my stuff I don't want it and it wasn't water damaged. I had earmarked $2,000 for it and by the time I get another truck for the garage that will just about do it. Might have to eat into my Generac fund. They are coming with two trucks and four men tomorrow.  It will really clear out the house of the big stuff.

BTW. if anyone needs to know, their appointments are very fast. Mostly the next day after you sign in. They can usually take stuff the day they arrive. If you make an appointment the same day that you sign in, you get a $20.00 discount and I got a $20.00 senior citizen discount. I asked for it, it wasn't automatic. I really hope no one needs them though. 

By sign in I just mean going to their website and booking an appointment.  

• Like 5
8 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

I want a couple of wrought iron bars to put up on either side. Just for kicks.

Miki,  I know people here who put their mailbox on an I-beam and then disguise it with wood facings.  The vandals get a huge surprise when they try to run it down.  A big costly surprise……📫

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
On 6/28/2023 at 5:08 PM, Jeepers said:

Anyway they need an inspection on the house from BOA when the $34,000 is spent before they will release the other $15,000. 

In what world do they think this is possible since the contractor won't start working w/o $50K in the bank??? Under these conditions there won't be anything to inpect!  :soapbox: (I'm joining your rant. :hug3: )

ETA: Read the rest of this thread since I posted this reply and am very happy to hear that your contractor is being a very reasonable guy in starting the project with only most of the money being released. (Wagons ho!)

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exactly Midnightmom. I said the same thing to them. Over and over. They want to see the progress now. There is no progress being done and there won't be until the contractor gets half of the money ($50,00.00) that the insurance company issued to me. And I just got the money from the insurance company on June 14th. What construction?! All they say is that BOA has a $40,000.00 limit to endorse a check. Insane. FORTUNATELY, my contractor accepted the $35,000 to get started. He knows I'm good for it. BOA doesn't know that though. They are content to just let me sit. That money will soon be eaten up with drywall, paint and paying the crew etc. 

Contractor can't stand BOA either and knows my situation. He was the one who went to the owner of their company and got permission to install a new furnace for me without one penny from me or the insurance company. He said he was getting worried about me. January, covid, bronchitis, elderly and no heat. :unsure: I was too sick to worry. 

The last time I talked to that woman in California, my case worker, on Thursday, I was trying to explain the situation to her. Again. I guess I talked to long. When I paused she said, "Can I talk now?"  :mad:  She also informed me that I had to set up voice mail on my phone because I missed one of her phone calls. I told her I always answer my phone if I am able (I do shower and pump gas, potty and drive a car without my phone attached to me) and that she can always email me or text me. She said she wants to have her calls responded to within 24-48 hours. I told her she can always text me. She said they are a business and they do not text. Oh yes she did! I will not set up voice mail to appease her. ONLY thing that keeps me from going off on her is the fact that she holds my money. 

• Sad 5
22 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Now you can breathe out and hopefully get some much needed rest. 

I dunno about rest.  J and electrician came today so I've been clearing the path to the outlets again.  The thing he thot he found earlier turned out { he searched on Internet} to be connected only with the baseboard electric heaters....which we never use.  So I was up early enough to clear the spaces again.  Lifted two rolling tote under-bed containers.  OW!  I'd filled one with the books I'd removed from the bookshelf where he has to crawl under bed and across the bottom book shelf to reach outlet #1.  (He put the totes back in place for me)  Found he'd left a light that he'd been using under there.  I never saw it.

Then he went to outlet #3 and didn't find anything.  But indications that it's got to be outlet #2 .....BEHIND THE DESK.  Realllly?   So J and I began moving the sewing machine cabinet - which is in the way of moving desk.  Then ....as I planned months ago when I cleared / sorted desk and sewing machine...took the heavy stuff off the desk and shelving above the desktop.  I'd put some things in a large box with one side cut out.  Whole thing just goes in on the bed.  The heaviest was an old battery backup and surge protector.  It had been there since the 1900s ...   :blink:    { well, 1995 or so...}  But it was still plugged in cuz it was like a power strip but no battery working.  HEAVY!  When I reached behind to unplug it from the #2 outlet we were trying to reach, the living room light came on!  Whoa...we've had no light there for 2 months.  FOUND THE PROBLEM.  :band:  :band2:   :woohoo:  

If not for trying to AVOID moving of the desk, we would have found that the first time he came.  So yeah, we all pitched in to move sewing machine and desk [ and contents] out of the way.  He changed out the outlet - yes, wire was broken - and put in a new&improved version.  Said mine was antiquated.  Tell me something we don't know.  Everything in here is antiquated...including us!  :rolleyes:

Got everything zipped up and electric back on.  Everything works.  Have outside light again too.  J and Electric-guy both helped me move stuff back.  I was tremoring badly by that time and they kept telling me to sit down.  I did ....and got back up in a few minutes.  :busted:   Should I even tell J that the #3 outlet with all the wires congregated in there - has a problem?  The top plug-in doesn't work but the bottom one in the same outlet does work.  :scratchhead:   Hmph.  I just set up the shelves for that corner that had to be taken out to the porch/out of the way.  Put the food back in place and forget it.  The lamp is plugged into the bottom plug-in.  No more bringing the big spot light back to that corner to find the food.  Living room light is on....ceiling fan works again.  :amen:   :amen:  

We're getting back to "normal"....  :008Laughing:    ...what's "normal"?  :cheeky-smiley-067:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 5

Oye....y'all have had some unpleasant events too!  Miki.....I LIKE Mother's idea of the solid I-beam.   :whistling: 

Little Sister...I'm envious of your gardens!  But you're really working hard for them.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:   But do be careful not to overdo!  :hug3:  

Jeepers....what can I say?  BOA will have no one's business here on this board!  :pout:  So glad your main guy is so sympathetic to your interests!  :pray: 

MtRider ...whew....I'm TIRED! 

• Like 4

Thank goodness your electricity is on where you need it! :hapydancsmil:

Kind of like me on Thursday. The light and ceiling fan in my bedroom hasn't worked in about two years. I flipped all of the switches and changed the lightbulb. I swear I did. Project manager put in a new light bulb and 'viola'. Everything worked. I have been working in that dark bedroom all of this time. I was so embarrassed. Guess you can get a bad batch of light bulbs too. Contractor said that will be a $50.00 installation fee. Told him to put it on my tab.  :24:

Let there be light...at Mt. Rider's and Jeeper's house!

And everyone else's too of course!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Glad everyone's electrical issues are getting sorted out! And super happy to hear Mr MtRider got a clean bill of health. Miki so sorry to hear about your mailbox some people are just mean :(

We are finally home :wub: I will post more pictures once I get them uploaded off my good camera. Ruby was overjoyed to see us and the garden is doing fabulously. It is hot and humid and we need to go buy 2 more A/C units this weekend to replace the units that were moldy we noticed before we left. So just the bedroom A/C's are in. We will be doing laundry and groceries tomorrow. Chickens survived fine while we were away too and are now full sized birds. My son did such a great job taking care of everything while we were away. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mt. Rider, glad you now have electric working again.  That is a must.

Jeepers, Glad you now have electric working in the bedroom again. Ceiling fans are a must in hot weather. 

Becca Anne, glad you made it home safe and sound and your son did a great job of taking care of everything while you were gone. I know you are proud of him. 

Today, I am just worn out. No energy.  GS should be here sometime today to wash clothes. I think GD, her DH, DD and SIL will all be here next weekend along with GD's BIL to help move the bedroom suit out. Not letting GD do any lifting as she is now about 5 months preg. I need to hide the baby gifts in closet as right now everything is on my dresser. 

Not working in garden today as it is really hot outside today. So working on things in house. Moving the books off the bookcase in hallway so I can move the bookcase into one of the other bedrooms out of the way for them to get the bedroom suit out. Not sure I will put that bookcase back in hall but in the front bedroom instead. Then I can keep my craft books and other books I use in it and move the other books to another spot. Can't wait to get my house back in order and organized again. Should be able to start getting that done as soon as I can get a painter in to paint that bedroom and the hallway. Then it will be gun ho with some canning in between. 

I think everyone will be having a very busy summer this year with so much going on in this world. Not to mention canning, gardens, working on houses, and so on. Hopefully after fall harvest everything will calm down at least for a while and we can all catch our breaths. 

• Like 5

Up early and walked first.
Ran to neighborhood grocery.
Fed dogs and then did ebay photos for DH.
Met with previous Church secy. at Church to go over some business stuff.
Came home and walked dogs.
There is a little kitten living in the woods next to us (probably dumped). I spent a little time trying to get it to come out and eat. Left a couple of bowls with water and cream out for now- will pick up later. Tossed some meatloaf in it's direction. It found and ate that. I guess I will have to get a live trap.
Pretty much done for the day.
I might make an ice cream cake for my Birthday--using ice cream sandwiches as a base.
Tomorrow I will make my Birthday meal--Shrimp and grits!

I did stop at our local PD and file an incident report about the mailbox, yesterday.

Things seem to be looking up-ish for all of us right now.  Yay!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Miki, that was a good idea to file an incident report. Hopefully they will do a drive through now and again to check out things. I hope they catch who is doing that. 

Went out to the old fridge in garage. Wanted to get something out of that freezer. Glad I did. things were still frozen but ice had formed on freezer and it is a self frosting one. Moved all the meat and things into the cooler for now and cleaned all the ice out and wiped freezer down.  Right now it is closed up to see if it will still freeze or if I have an issue. It is stifling hot outside today. In the 90*'s. If the freezer will not freeze again, will take all the pork I have and move to indoor fridge to can tomorrow. If that turns out to be the case there will be no church tomorrow as I must take care of this issue. The rest will go across street to my neighbors house to put in her garage freezers.  Yep every freezer in my house is slam full and I need to get busy with canning it all. I have enough squash now to can but it won't be a canner full. But at least I can get that done while I am at it. I am in house trying to cool down now. I was soaking wet just emptying out the freezer and then breaking up the ice and cleaning it up.  Plugged in the old fan to run in garage for a while. That will help keep the temps down. 

Darlene, I am so glad your brother was found safe and sound.  

Edited by Littlesister
added info.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1