MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Mt. Rider, you are right about family that acts like they do. Having things and money will never fill that void. 

I hope your DH did really well with the surgery and they got everything. Are you guys back home now?  I know you are glad the worse is now behind you.

And yes. Jeepers still holds that title. But she will prevail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is horrible Littlesister! But more common than we think. My D-ex has two sisters and one of them really cleaned out the house of everything she wanted when their mom died. He had two brothers too but mom said they didn't need anything.  :puzzledsmile:  It was true but sheeesh. One girl was supposed to get the diamond ring and the other was supposed to get the diamond earrings. Neither one was ever found. But we know who got them both. Son told her daughter that she had better be careful what she posts on Facebook because the rest of the family could see everything her mom had in her house that used to belong to grandma. LOL.  I never want anything anyone else has. All I asked for when my dear cousin died was some of her ashes. I snipped a lock of her hair incase...But her husband bought tiny urns and gave her daughter, brothers and sister and me some of them. It was sweet of him. So far I'm taking her and my dog Muffin with me. 

Those are the little things that I value. I have the gun shell discharged when my BIL was buried. He was military and had the full honors. And some of the decorations from D-ex's Air Force uniform and from when he was in 4-H. And my grandpa and FIL dog tags. I save the strangest things. Recently I made up two big totes. One for son and one for D-ex and put things in them that I thought they would want to keep. They are already at the other house. They will probably stay in the second garage forever. I'm fine with that. At least thing are all together and if they want to know where something is I won't have to go looking for it. It's either in the tote or else I don't have it.  

• Like 5

I think just about everyone has at least one relative that will take the others in family for a sleigh ride if they can. 

Made pasta salad early this afternoon and then GS came over to wash clothes. Took him to get haircut but we waited to late and they closed. So he's coming here early tomorrow to go get one. For some reason he likes me to go with him. I am so glad he left on good terms. Just wish he had stayed off the pot and behaved. But at least he is doing better for now. We had lunch while his clothes were washing and we talked about next year's garden plans. He won't eat the veggies but he likes to plant them. He about flipped out when he saw the pantry totally redone. He said it looked so much better that even he could find things much easier and much more floor room now.

• Like 5

That is crazy Jeepers. Just because they are different systems doesn't mean that can't do a mammogram and either send you the results or send them to your doctor. A fax machine doesn't care what group of doctors you are in. 

Been packing up GS's clothes and his food that he still has here. Running out of boxes so need to go hunt some boxes down. I think Food Lion stocks tomorrow so will go check it out for boxes. Working on another load to take to Goodwill from garage. I have two old wooden shoe boxes I am thinking about taking to the pawn shop. Might not get much money for them but anything is better than nothing. Will see what happens.  

It has been cloudy off and on most of day today and now it is trying to rain. Just a few drops so far. Since GD is coming to get the bedroom suit end of month or first of next month, I should be able to have most of house back together by end of July or end of August after GS's stuff is out of house. Then I can do a thorough cleaning of closets, painting and shop for new den and living room furniture. It has been a long ride to get this house back together both from construction and kids moving in and out on me. But it is now starting to come together again. 

• Like 6

I got a text from someone who is in charge of paying for my hotel. It said I'm scheduled to move out on the 16th. The front desk said I'm paid until June 30th. Sigh. Renovation hasn't even started yet. I have a feeling it was another automated text message again.

I didn't get it until after hours so I couldn't call anyone. But I did respond with the info I just stated. And I told them that I want a text from a real person and not an automated text because no one is on top of anything and I get conflicting messages. The last time that happened (a month ago) they screwed up and the hotel changed my door key on me. They fixed it with a phone call but that's beside the point. I told her she wasn't helping me and was causing me more stress.  :pout:

I'm not worried about it. Just mad. I am so tired of having to fix other peoples messes when they aren't doing the job they were paid for. Didn't have a great day today. 

• Sad 6

Jeepers, it seems they should have already started on your house by now. I would go to the insurance person and let them have it. Tell them about the conflicting messages over the hotel and ask why nothing is being done on the house. How many months has it been now?  I know you said you were waiting on the money but still seems they should have started on something by this time. They know it is being paid by the insurance company. So should not have been this much of a delay. I just hope you don't have to end up getting a lawyer over this.  

You have been through a lot with this house.  Praying that things will start happening on the house soon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I'm not worried about it. Just mad. I am so tired of having to fix other peoples messes when they aren't doing the job they were paid for.

High Fives with Jeepers!  I'm with ya on that one, sister!  Really there with ya!  :hug3:Now....wait'll ya hear THIS ONE!   :sassing: 

Wellllllll....are y'all ready for yet another bizarre situation we're having?  We've been rainy - which is a good thing.  It grows more stuff the dry out later and burn in wildfires but ....for now, there can be no fires here.  Our pond overflows some years but it only "sheets" across the turn-around circle and the driveway near the road.  At this location we're significantly lower than the road until we go steeply UP HILL to the cabin.  Ducks/geese house is on a large berm.  Likely made decades ago to form the big pond. 

Pond is increasing in size ...daily.  It's fed by the creek that flows into the pond and flows out of the pond into a metal culvert that is under the berm and that part of the driveway.  Dumps out into the other pasture.  Very nice to have a water feature in these mountains. 

Enter into this idyllic picture:  Two Beavers.  :sigh:  

I happened to check the intake area of the culvert a few days ago.  Beavers make a mess cuz they're always gnawing on plant life and woody trees/shrubs.   This floats across the pond and is clogging up the screen for that end of the culvert pipe.  So I'm balancing on the top of the cement slab (it's at a slant) that holds the pond-end of the culvert in place.  I'd noticed that there are crevasses forming on that end of the large berm.....and was surprised to see the pond side of the berm is actually hollowing out due to the water forcing it's way downstream outside of the metal culvert.  :gaah:    How can I fix that?  Water's so high, I can't even reach the screen to clean it off.  Will have to bring down some long-handled brush????  There is, by now, a 5' gap of dirt eroded away between the cement slab and the beginning of the tunnel.  Should not BE a tunnel.  Should be only the end of the metal culvert in cement slab backed into the berm.  Aiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  I DON'T HAVE TIME TO DEAL WITH THIS!

It gets worse:

Tonite I stopped to look at it again after walking the dog.  Oh good heavens!  Those blasted beavers are building a den between the cement slab [which is now completely underwater] and the "cave" that's formed deeper and deeper under the collapsing berm hill.  Where the berm ends is flat and we use that as a turn-around area to go back up our driveway.  But it's supposed to be above water level....it's not.  Deepest is still only inches of water....cuz it's a fairly big area and it's sheeting across to drain into the creek on other side of driveway.  Still fine to drive thru.....so far.  Need boots to cross it with dog tho.

Beavers are excellent builders.  I spent a while tonite dismantling the beginning of their structure but nearly fell into the pond trying to pull some of it loose.  They use the grasses, etc. to "cement" all those odd branches they've chewed and carried from around the pond to this spot.  I pulled about 2 dozen sticks out.  Got a big hunk of backed up grass mat (they do that too) loose and a GUSH of pond water began to flow.  Did I mention that they had utterly STOPPED the pond from flowing at that point?  No wonder we're flooding the flat area.  The pond is fed constantly (esp now with heavy rain today) by who knows how many miles of creek up stream.  It's always flowing thru....

I let that part flow and got to the car....reporting all that to DH.  Called our property manager.... good thing we've known each other a very long time now.  She knows when I call, it's something WEIRD again.  Beavers.  Building a beaver dam.  I know they're just going to go collect all those branches and put their home back together again tonite.  :tapfoot:   So J is going to call Dept of Wildlife.  I think they're the only ones who can legally handle this.  Good plan.  Forgot to tell J NOT to walk up that end of the berm.  It's ready to collapse after being undercut by that water.  :imoksmiley:

MtRider  ...yeah, this is a new one!  :buttercup: 

• Sad 4

The reconstruction company doesn't have any connection to the insurance company. They think I'm getting the money but they can't really be sure. They can't do anything until they get paid for half of the job upfront because they have to pay their workers and pay for the new materials first. They put in a bid for $93,000.00.  I'm waiting for the $50,000.00 check. That will cover the first half of the reconstruction. As soon as I get it...it's gone. 

The big disaster happened on Christmas so it's been close to 6 months! Believe me...I have railed to everyone I can think of. My agent, two field adjustors, two regular adjustors and the person in charge of paying the hotel bill. All of those people more than a few times. All I get is "We are so busy. Just overrun with claims." Or "This is such a big claim. These things take time". Yeah well, keep paying nearly 2,300.00 a month for me to stay here. Can you believe they have paid close to $7,000.00 just in hotel bills when if they had paid off in the beginning they could have saved a bundle. And I'm not out of here yet. It's going to cost them $10,000.00 by the time it's over just in hotel bills for one person. Insane.

If I don't get the money by next week, I'm going to my lawyer. Period. He handles elder care cases too. The only reason I haven't gone to him yet is because I don't want to have to pay out of my own pocket to hire him. They are so expensive! My luck, as soon as I hire him, the insurance company will pay up and I'll be out even more money. And we all know my luck. I get mad all over again every time I think about it.

• Sad 5

Something tells me that you are up even later than me [time zones] and trying to do Typing on MrsS Therapy:hug3:  Relax.  Take a pill.....I'm gonna hafta too tonite.  Chill.  These situations beyond our control are really messing with sleep schedules.  Hmmmph!  And I've got to catch a ride to P.T. tomorrow early.  :groooansmileyf:

So I'm signing off.  I hope you can go to sleep soon, Jeepers!

MtRider  :offtobed:

• Like 1

Oh. My. Gosh!  What is it with us? Are you back to writing your 'what if' stories again? If so...stop it right now lady! :24:

Well. At least I don't have beavers. Yet. Any day now, probably. Crimony. 

Ahem, wasn't it you who said they were cute a couple of days ago?  :P

• Haha 2

When my house burned, I was out of it for eleven months, if I recall correctly.  Such madness.  I keep wondering if things would have gone differently with the husband and his drinking, and with the boys and their problems, but for all that.  That's why I said to get a lawyer first off.  The insurance companies exist for reasons other than helping you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
11 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

The insurance companies exist for reasons other than helping you.

That's surely true!

@Mt_Rider, now beavers?  Don't ask "what next?"

Yesterday was Church and storms. Power was out from 5:30 to 8:30. AC was still set at 80 from during the day, so it was really warm and having the windows open didn't help much.

This morning, I walked first.
Picked up branches.
Walked dogs.
Maybe take ebay photos, later.
Cut up carrots for dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Ambergris said:

When my house burned, I was out of it for eleven months, if I recall correctly.  Such madness.  I keep wondering if things would have gone differently with the husband and his drinking, and with the boys and their problems, but for all that.  That's why I said to get a lawyer first off.  The insurance companies exist for reasons other than helping you.

So very true. My contractor has had to fight for every dime and nickel that he has submitted, for all of these months. I know without a doubt that I am still going to have to pay for a bunch of little things. Hopefully I can recoup some of it when it sells. If not, I'm not going to cry about it. I'll just be glad to get out from under the whole situation.

Medical insurance is just as bad. My doctor had to ask the insurance company (I think it was Medicare) to approve me taking an extra half of a pill. At first they denied me. I can't remember which one it was now. Either a blood pressure or cholesterol med. The dosage he wanted me to have was in between two dosages that they make. I have to cut one of the pills in half to be able to take 1 1/2 pills. At first they wouldn't let the pharmacy fill it. Took a month to resolve that. Because you know the insurance industry knows how to practice medicine better than the doctors.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I had my eye exam today. All went very well for a change. :o   I just went to Wal-Mart. I didn't get dilatated because, as usual, I didn't have a ride. It was okay though. I'm not having any problems. I just wanted an exam because I want to order some glasses online. I need some spares. The ones I wear now are getting pretty fragile and I'm always afraid they will break when I'm in Indiana and then I'll really be in a mess. 

My eyes haven't changed much and I didn't need new glasses unless I want bifocals. I don't. I'm off balance enough as it is. My close up vision is perfect. Far away, I'm blind as a bat. The really good news is I don't have any damage to my organs (kidneys and liver and eyes) from the high blood pressure. Not sure how he could tell that but that's what he said. I could have misunderstood that but at the time we were smiling so what ever we were talking about was good news. I heard it at the time...I just don't remember it now. They should give a print out of everything discussed.  No macular degeneration and no glaucoma. He said one of the nerves in my eye was twisted a little bit. Probably since birth and no big deal. He said I have a little bit of cataracts in both eyes but nothing serious. He said it shouldn't bother me for many years if at all. I'm definitely not a candidate for surgery. Good.

The only issue I have are those floaties in my eyes. I know I have a lot of them but they don't bother me all the time. Just some times. I know they don't go away but either they hide and I don't see them or else I'm just used to them. With my high blood pressure, high cholesterol and pre diabetes, I'm always nervous to get eye exam results. And my grandma had glaucoma. I think I escaped for another couple of years. I think the prescription is good for two years. I'll probably get tested again when I'm 75 unless something goes haywire.

• Like 5

Jeepers I really hope things start to improve for you soon. That is so crazy that the insurance company is so slow to get things moving. 

It's crazy how medical insurances are.  Doctor I worked for had a work around that pill issue. He would subscribe the pills as if the patient was taking double to get it filled and then talk to patient about taking one and a half pills. It happened to me a long time ago as well. There are ways doctors can work around the insurance but not all are willing to do it. 

Been going through things around house and trying to get things in the rooms I want them in. I have nowhere for my hair dryer and things other than the main bathroom. So I am working on moving things off my dressers to go into the main bathroom. The master bath is nothing more than a cracker box. I do have more storage,  but for some things it's just not possible. Very small master bath. No drawers under sink to amount to much and the linen closet is small. I moved my towels and such to that linen closet from the closet for clothes. So it is mostly holding towels, TP and some cleaning supplies for that bathroom. Plus a few other things that I needed in the master bath. I can dry my hair in the main bathroom as I do have more room in there. Plus much more storage. I have a lot of sample toiletries I am going to put in top drawer of the main bathroom. I have that stored in a box. I use those when I go on trips so the drawer is deep and long so I can easily organize everything in there and just grab what I need when going on trip.  

Found out that DGD's DH will be out of boot camp in 3 weeks and will be stationed in Portsmouth. So that would be Craney Island. And no they are not moving back in with me so will have to find an apartment or house. After GS I am totally done with kids moving in on me again. Can come to visit but that is it. I can't handle the constant cleaning up behind them and me having to cook and clean up kitchen just to have them mess it up again. To old for that mess.  Though till they are transferred again, I will be seeing a lot of the new great grandbaby. That I can deal with. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I had called property manager J last nite about the beaver issue.  She and B {who is finally on his feet again but not too steady} :pray:   ......were at our place with DH when my ride dropped me off.  I had PT this morning.  Kept sort of verging on blacking out.  :shrug:  But I could do the laying down exercises ok.  Hydrate!

Anyway, was pouring down rain again.  They'd looked at what I described about the invasion of beavers.  They're formulating a plan.  But J kept saying "how am I going to explain THIS ONE to the owners?  (they don't live in this state)  :lol:   Glad we don't have to deal with all the weird things that happen on this property.  BTW...where is the electrician?   Oh....he's very sick.  :shakinghead:    Well, that's on hold again.  But DH told J/B we wouldn't be home cuz of "his issues" coming up....again.  So we're not stressed about the electric still not fixed.  

The driveway flooding is fine - as long as it keeps draining to the other side.  If we can drive in and out, we're fine.  It's going to be watering the rhubarb pretty soon!  The berm and conduit and flooding pond.... It's not going to affect us.  Beavers?  They'll have to figure that out.  DH trenched so more flood water would drain to the downstream side of driveway.  Usually I do that but not this year ....yet. 

MtRider ....life continues :amen: 

• Like 5

Your life and Ambergris's life keep my head spinning!  Both interesting and challenging!

Already walked and stopped at local clinic for lab work on the way home.
Next will take ebay photos.
Shovel out the city gutter in preparation for next round of storms.
Make oatmeal and cut carrots, both for dog treats.
Not sure what next.

My life seems very tame at this time.  You all have a good day!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mt. Rider, hope the beaver issue is taken care of soon. They are cute to watch but can cause a lot of damage. 

Miki you are right. Never a dull moment with Ambergris and Mt. Rider. But I think we could add Jeepers into it with her house situation. 

Having a slow day today. Just can't get moving around here today. Haven't been out of house in a couple of weeks so getting ready to head to Harborview to walk around and see what else they have done around there. Might do a little shopping while there and maybe pick up some dinner instead of cooking tonight.  Guess I just need a change of scenery. Was going to Lowe's and Tractor Supply but never did. I'm not one to shop unless I am in the mood which isn't that often. 

• Like 3

WHY!?  Why are things always so difficult?  Sheeesh, I sound like such a whining drama queen all the time.

Good News:  :hapydancsmil:

I GOT THE CHECK!!!!! 

Bad News: :mad:

So because I have a mortgage on the house, Bank of America has to endorse it. Their policy they cooked up with insurance companies. (Note, I did not get a mortgage with BofA. I got it at Key Bank and they sold it to them.) So I took the check over to them right away. Very long story short...again, They can only endorse a check up to $40.000.00. My Check is $53,000.00. So, they have to send it to California to be approved, then send it back to me and I take it back to BofA  to be endorsed. Then over to my real bank for deposit who will probably put a hold on that large of an amount. I told that lady that, "You mean a multi billion dollar corporation can't even endorse anything over $40,000.00!" She said only corporate offices can. Not branches. They aren't even cashing it. They are just co-signing it. They are over nighting it. So I will probably have to spend the better part of two days at the house waiting for UPS or FED X to deliver it. I asked if I could get it sent to their office so I could pick it up there for safety reasons. Nope, it has to go to my house. No fax machines any more?   :banghead:

I did that Life Line testing today. Easy-Peasy. Results will be mailed to me in a couple of weeks. She took a lot of time on my left ankle. That was a little concerning to me. I guess we'll see. They say if they see anything of immediate danger they will tell you right away. They do a lot of other testing but I can get that for free (insurance) at a doctors office. So I guess no news is good news. Famous last words coming from me, huh. 

Dr. ordered my thyroid med and I picked it up. Still haven't heard if he ordered a mammogram. Or the tilt table test. I go back on July 10th so we will have a 'Come to Jesus' moment if something still isn't happening. I'm so tired of doing follow ups to people who don't care. 

On a brighter side, I am extended here at the Ponderosa until July 31st. I suppose that is good news.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Banks are getting ridiculous these days. I don't see why that all has to be done that way. And yes after you get check back and take it to deposit they will hold it for at least  7 to 10 days. 

I think I typed in Equator about going out to Harborview this afternoon. I thought I was in Watcha doing today. Sorry about that.  I meant to type that here. I must be tired. 

Anyway went to a couple of stores T.J. Max and Homegoods store. Bought a few things I needed and then left and went down old college drive to see how the building was going.  It's not the same place. Will have to check it all out another day when I have more time. Houses, apartments, stores you name it.  Came back up to the smaller shops and had dinner.  Then came home. It felt good to get out for just a few hours. And no I won't talk about the lousy traffic.  

• Like 3

Oh my Jeepers that's such a pain but thank goodness the check finally got written. What an ordeal for that to get cashed though!

Littlesister sounds like you are getting things organized a lot better for you now. So glad. And more time with grandbabies YAY!

MtRider oy those beavers have been busy! I hope the property manager can get them relocated or find a solution. Don't want you stuck without a driveway or have someone get washed away!!

Miki glad you got your lab work done.

I have just one more day here tomorrow to snuggle my grandson and then we will be heading out. Have a week up in WA and I will be at my work, then have planned an epic trip back with lots of fun stops including Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore. For once I'm going to stop and see the sights. We usually just drive point A to point B.  Packing up most of the things tonight and will do the rest tomorrow. It went so fast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3