MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Mt. Rider, glad to know all went well with the surgery for your DH. Now to just take it easy and heal up. And for you to get that needed rest from the trip.  Hopefully all the work around your house will get done soon and the electrician will get well so he can get your electric fixed. 

Becca Anne praying for some relaxation and a safe trip back home. 

Jeepers, I really hope the work goes fast on your house once they get started. You need to get that sold fast. 

GS came over to wash his clothes and take a shower today.  I really think being out on his own has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. No hoodie, just a short sleeve tea shirt. He really needs to stop wearing hoodies all summer it is to hot for that. He is talking more like a human than that mumble jumble type of talking. I really hope he is getting his act together now. He really is starting to be the GS I used to have. Back to his old self again. We talked about the garden and he already has plans for next year. First thing he did when he got out of car was to go around and check on the garden. I am glad he never lost interest in that. 

Been going through all my spices and moved them to the 6 ft long closet that is in hall. I got part of them organized and just set the rest in there for now.  GS has an idea to set them up similar to how the stores has them. But I need to find some dividers. Might have to get clever on that one. I am packing up the type of spices he uses along with a box of salt and pepper. Then he can go through and see if there is any other spices he would use. A lot of them are spices I grew and in mason jars. All dehydrated. I used up all the onions I had dehydrated so will need to do some more of those. Lots to get done tomorrow and I really should be in bed by now but just not tired or sleepy.  Been that way for a few days now. I guess it's just a lot on my plate right now with kids coming to move out furniture and then GS moving his stuff out in August. I packed up one dresser of his clothes and need to move them all to the living room. At this rate I won't be able to walk through the living room. But it is only temporary. I just don't like the idea of the financial planner coming into house with the mess it is in right now. But it will be what it will be. 

I found a Plumber for the hot water tank and a painter to paint rest of house. But might have to paint one room one time and come back later to paint the living and dining rooms. Plus the hall and foyer. I need the window in pantry painted but not sure I want him to see that room. So might paint that window myself. Those walls were painted about 4 or 5 years ago so really don't need painting again. But the windows in this house is the all natural wood and looks bad. So painting all of that. It is a 3 step process and I think I can handle the one window in pantry. Otherwise a painter would be much faster than I would be and my hands are not sturdy enough to paint the line at top of wall and ceiling. I would have wall paint on ceiling and vise versa. 

• Like 3

Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound at their homes!  

Glad your G-son is doing better too, Littlesister. I think he got too comfortable living with you. Some people don't do well with a safety net around them. They need to know that they have to rely on themself or else... Hope he continues his progress. :hug3:

Could your G-son paint for you? Even if it's just to do the cutting in work and you could do the rest.  Or maybe your DD or SIL. If you have everything ready it probably wouldn't take too long just to go around the ceiling. I know how it is getting help. 

• Like 4

Walked first and got back just as storms started.
Laundry is done.
Have 4 trays of sweet potato slices dehydrating in oven for dog treats.
Next will make Cajun Shrimp and grits.
Maybe make some cookies. After sweet potato slices are done.

Have a great day, Mrs Survival!

• Like 4

Writing, or rather tweaking things already written.

Texted a call for a taxi to take me to my class this afternoon, but that was half an hour ago and the message has not yet been received.  Internet has been off and on, for a couple or a few hours at a time, and cell phones that use internet have been crazy unreliable for the past two weeks.  Businesses are suffering, and people are speculating in increasingly colorful ways.  The wind is often blamed, too.

I need to set the yogurt tonight.

update:  took message 49 minutes to get delivered.  This is why I sent it two hours ahead of when I needed the ride.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Sad 6

Ambergris, glad the message got through and you hopeful were able to get to your class. Seems they need to work on communications around there. Hopefully if enough people complain about it as well as those businesses they might fix the issues. 

Jeepers, going to ask my GS if he can help me with the painting but he also has never painted before. But always a first time. The arm he broke a few years ago is giving him a hard time. When he holds his arm out the hand starts shaking.  Don't know if it's coming from the brake and possibly a pinched nerve or maybe carpal tunnel.  He just picked up his insurance cards yesterday from my house so he plans on seeing the doctor about it. Hope they get the issues solved. 

I have been going through all kinds of things today. Redid the new linen closets that are now in both bathrooms. I can find what I need and everything has its place now. Still a lot to get done but it's coming. Tomorrow I need to clean up house as the financial planner will be here Wed. afternoon. Nothing I can do about the living room, but he knows I had construction going on and that my GS was living here. So just some dusting and mopping floors and cleaning bathrooms tomorrow. And cleaning off the kitchen counter again. I did find my dining room table though. :hapydancsmil:Yeah I had everything piled up on it. All cleaned off now and that room is cleaned up. 

• Like 4

Littlesister hope the visit with your financial planner goes well. You are making good progress every day it seems!

Ambergris I hope the internet gets more stable for you soon. It has to be frustrating. 

Miki sounds like a yummy dinner at your house! I am looking forward to being home and cooking in my own kitchen.

Tomorrow we will be visiting Yellowstone. I'm super excited. On our way through ID we visited my hubbys sister who lives in Post Falls for dinner, then today we drove through MT and stopped at a Gold Mine where Ben and I took a tour and "panned for gold" it was fun. I'm a geology geek so I really enjoyed seeing the ore and we got to spend some time in the gold panning area. We got to keep the pretty rocks and "gold (fools gold)" that they plant for people to find. I'll put them in a little glass jar for Ben to keep for memories. There were a good number of tiny garnets it there so it was a bit like finding real treasure for him. We stopped at Costco for dinner and bought our bear spray for our big adventure tomorrow. Hopefully we won't need it! I am hoping to get a lot of good pics on my good camera which I will share when we get home.

• Like 4

Today was exhausting but exciting.  My 2nd appt with the cognitive therapist.  I was worn out by the end and we didn't do that much.  He did explain more about sucking in lots of air thru nose and letting it out slowly thru teeth/lips.  Bottom line:  I don't breathe right and especially at 8,500' altitude, we need more O2 for the brain.  Oh!  I thot the extra red blood cells did that???

Anyway, he was excited to see I'd not only done the many sheets of homework in the weeks I didn't see him.  But I wrote all kinds of notes about it.  Cuz 90% of the suggestions [like make a list.....]  .....yeah, I've been doing almost all those things  for decades.  Sometimes my whole life.  Was also very pleased that I'm walking dog nearly every day......even if it's not far.  I have gotten up to 8/10ths of a mile.  Flat road and steep driveway.  Tonite was more like 4/10ths....  He's so positive that I'll be doing a LOT better in a few weeks.  And he gave me 2 assignments:  Added up to a thick stack of homework papers.  Do a few every day.  I already forgot how much of which ones....but I bring DH in with me for those details.  And he made me write it done myself too.  He knows I have learned to rely on DH but wants that to change.  :shrug:   Yeah, that would be good.  I do have some hope now.  

NOW I have to focus on clearing the electric outlets in the house again.....before Friday.  J and Electric guy will be coming.  :0327: 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 4

That's great news @Mt_Rider!  I'm glad you are improving, quickly.  Having the right doc in your life really helps!

@Becca_Anne, I hope you have a wonderful time today!

Already walked.
Next will walk dogs.
Make a couple of business calls.
Purge office dresser and 2 nightstands in bedroom.
That may be about it!

I have my laptop back and supposedly it is good to go.  We will see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tilt table test is a no-go again because now they are saying they only do it at the main hospital in downtown Cleveland. I don't think I can drive down there. Pretty sure I can't actually. I Google mapped it. :0327:  Originally they told me they did it at one suburb here. Even gave me phone numbers and fax numbers to call. Next I'll try out of system somehow.. 

I have not heard one word from Bank Of America about my $50,000. check they are holding. No phone call, email, text or anything. This has been going on since June 14th. with not one word from them.  I have been in the local office every week asking about it. They don't know either. Check is in Simi Vally California.  

I could cry from aggravation. 

I should clarify that the money isn't really mine. It's from the insurance company to be paid directly to the contractor. But it's in my name.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Sad 7

I thought of that but couldn't think of the name.  I wrote it down!  All I could think of was the Federal Trade Commission.

I have a lot of errands to run over there tomorrow and they are on my list. They never do anything at the branch office. They blame corporate in California. Doesn't stop me from going in there and raising h3ll though. I never liked BOA. I got my mortgage with Key bank and two months later they sold it to BOA. 

This time I'm taking my contract with the construction company in and show them that the $50,000. IS half of the money I need to get construction started. Actually I have a contract for $107,000. but I think $30,000. of that is earmarked for the demo team. Regardless, they will see the $107,000 from the construction company. I get mad all over again just thinking about it. 

I'm sitting right in front of them with all kinds of ID. I have my insurance adjustors info and my contractors info right there that I can give them. It's hardly a scam. Check me out. Crimony, do something.

I thought about calling my adjustor and telling him to cancel that check and issue me two for $25,000. I'd do it but I'm afraid that would set me back even farther. The whole issue with BOA is they can't endorse a check over $40,000. My check is for $52,604.04. I call BS on that. They are worth over $225 Billion and can't endorse a $50,000 check. Not cash it. Just sign it. To repair "their" house. I owe around $23,000 on the house and they are holding my $50,000 check. Dammit, I'm p*ssed all over again. Bet they are collecting interest on my money too. 

• Sad 5

Jeepers, You might have to call the insurance company and tell them what happened. There may be a way they can get involved with the bank and do something.  We have 10 on your side here for stuff like that. Companies don't like to be called out when they do wrong. you could call them to help you out. I don't think you have to show up on TV though. You could try with BOA first to see what happens. I know that is so frustrating and no excuse for a bank to do that. 

Mt. Rider, I am so glad you are making good progress with this doctor.  It does seem to be helping from what you are posting. 

Today, I gave both bathrooms a deep cleaning. Then cleaned kitchen and mopped floors. Went out early this morning and picked some squash. Took some of the squash to my neighbor. Had one cucumber that had rotted from all the rain. It wasn't quite ready to pick yet but the rain took care of that one. Hopefully the other ones will do well.  We had rain again last night and hoping we won't have any tonight. Haven't checked the weather report yet. Also did some dusting.  Need to get my things together for the Financial planner tomorrow. Hoping all goes my way. I will be able to get the rest of the construction paid off and have that out of my way. Also trying to get things ready for GD's baby shower. I have some things for her but need to get wrapping paper. The rest will be here tomorrow that I had ordered. I think that might be about all I do. Lots of different size clothes, diapers, baby hamper, and some other cute things.  I want to get cloth diapers but still looking for the ones that are plastic lined. I saw a couple of places but they wanted something like $30 for one. There should be some out there somewhere cheaper than that. Those are washable and she wouldn't have to keep buying disposable diapers. Big savings on diapers with the reusable ones. 

• Like 3

One good thing I will say about my contractor, he has kept in close contact with my insurance adjustor. They all know what is going on and why the contractor isn't in there yet.

I don't know if I mentioned this or not. If I did just ignore it. When I met with the contractor last week to sign papers, we got to talking. I told him if someone was telling me all the things I'm telling about, what I've been going through, I don't know if I'd believe them. It's just all kind of unbelievable. He said contractors believe it because they go through it every single day with insurance companies. They hate to deal with them. 

He said he has 5 other big jobs like just like mine. Two water damage, two fires and one with a tree on the house. He said all of them have been waiting since the first of the year to get insurance to do something. Either send out an inspector or pay the money owed. All of them since January. At least I got my money from the insurance company. Well, half of it anyway. I mentioned that I'm on my second adjustor (they didn't tell me I had a new one until I complained he wasn't returning my calls.) He said one poor family is on their 6th. adjustor! That's like a new one every month. It's awful how insurance companies treat their customers. The ones who have paid their premium for decades without a prior claim. 

That was just one contractor telling me that. I imagine all of the rest of them have the same horror stories too. At least I'm not alone in this journey and at least the contractor believes everything I'm telling him. I tried to get him to take a picture of the copy of the check but he said, "Nope, I know what is going on."

It's just odd to me that the bank is doing this. Now I have to deal with them. And doctors... I must have some really bad karma following me around. Dear Universe, I'm sorry.  <_<

• Sad 4

So sorry Jeepers that is just outrageous that it's taking so long to clear that check. I really hope the rest of the process goes more smoothly for you.

Littlesister have fun preparing for the baby shower :wub:

I had the most amazing time at Yellowstone. Got to see a Bison and a Bear Mama with her babies close up (a LOT closer than I would have liked for mama bear but she didn't seem bothered). Gysers and hot springs and all kinds of steam vents and it was as beautiful as I image.jpeghoped. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Bet they are collecting interest on my money too. 

That would be the primary reason for these types of "delays"......  :tapfoot: 

Went to PT today.  Was not feeling well....as in heavy fatigue and sparkly vision/blacking out stuff.  But I figured they may as well document my bad days as well as the good days.  Rode with our seniors bus cuz DH went back to work.  I did, however, take the time/energy this morning to wash/dry/straighten/fix my hair.  I just wore a hat to my cognitive appt yesterday.  All that was NOT happening yesterday!  :grinning-smiley-044:

Getting too hot for me now.  So I'm carrying a soft side insulated bag.  I sandwich 2 gel packs around an ice pack.  Apply the gel packs if needed.  I'm more concerned about the transportation vehicles.  DH rode one today too...with client.  His did not have working A/C but thankfully mine did.  Nearly fell asleep on my ride home.  Wore me out to go in today but...they can see the whole spectrum of my dis-ability.  Therapist and I were very careful with what I was doing tho.  I still have really good balance (martial arts training) in some things.   {until I don't}

Nothing for the rest of the week.......EXCEPT  :groooansmileyf: finally the electrician is coming Friday with J.  All the stuff that's migrated to my formerly cleared areas around the electric outlets.... has to move.  Like still half-full suitcase, etc.  Not catching a break here but .....would be very nice to have electricity in that portion of the house again.....  ???   This house is so weird!  Probably why they don't raise the rent.  { better not with pellet stove and electric out for months ...} 

NEED to get the A/C into the window before it gets any hotter.  But we do have afternoon rain in the forecast again...so maybe no hurry.  :scratchhead:   It IS nearly July tho!

MtRider  :offtobed:

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Sorry you are having a rough time of it too Mt. Rider. I thought the ordeal with your DH might set your health back. Hopefully nothing for you to do but sit back and rest as much as you can now. Seems like you were just getting your strength back from taking care of your DM and getting her moved. Sigh.  Hope they get the electricity straightened out on this trip and you can get your house straightened back up the way you want it..  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Already walked.
Did leaf blowing.
Never did purging of night stands yesterday, so today.
Will make meatloaf and mashed potatoes a little later.

I don't know about you all, but I am just tired of being tired!

• Like 3

Miki, I know what you mean about being tired of being tired.  I get like that a lot these days. 

Mt. Rider, glad you have a good doctor now and is helping you with your issues. Hopefully you will be back on the right track again soon. Just take it easy right now and try not to overdo.  Glad you are now going to get the electric fixed. 

Jeepers, I don't know what to think with your issues. I hope the bank gets your money straight soon. You don't need these delays like this. I hope you don't have this issue with the second check. They do like to hold on to your money as long as possible. 

Financial planner came today. I will be getting the money to pay off the contractors. But on the part of getting myself a raise I have 2 options. I can go more risky and get more money a month and will have access to the money if I need to get to it for something that breaks down. Or I can go with a fixed rate and still get the money to pay off contractors, but would get less money a month. I am thinking of going more with the more risky one as I can get out more money if I need to. So he gave me homework to do and then figure out which way I think is best for me. I have till July 11th to get it figured out. 

He said my house has become a money pit and I should sell it. Is he out of his mind?  He knew my DH just didn't want to mess with fixing anything and now I am stuck having to do it. Once it is finished and most of it is it won't be a money pit and I don't look at it like that. It is just stuff that needs repairs and now the remodel is done with the corroded pipes all replaced. And much easier for me to clean and take care of. He said he was going to send me pictures of condos. I am not living in a condo where I have to pay HOA's and no garden space. That is not me. Now if he wants to talk me into buying a farmhouse with some land that would be a different story. 

Now to get back to work on house and go through some more things. Looking like rain again. Haven't checked the squash yet but did check tomatoes. Nothing ripe on those yet but are doing good so far. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

I don't know about you all, but I am just tired of being tired!

Yes! Tired and weary.

Littlesister, I'm sure you will make the right decision for you. Just take into account your age and how much longer you can collect. That didn't sound right but you know what I mean. Like a 90 year old winning the lottery and trying to decide if she wants a lump sum or yearly payments. 

• Like 3

Miki and Jeepers, he gave me some things to look over. This is only a part of my retirement. over half is in a fixed and safe haven. I do collect a monthly amount from interest on that. And that one is growing.  I am thinking about what he said about going a bit risky and then I have total control over that amount of money. I get the contractor paid off and then I still get a monthly check from it but it will be diversified into different things so if something goes down another will more than likely go up. Plus I have access to that one so I can take out money if something needs to be fixed. But what I am looking to do is rebuild my emergency funds back up. So this might work out better though I really don't like doing anything risky. And yes age has a lot to do with it. I now have well over what my DH and I retired on and am in good shape for that. So time to use some of that money is the way I am looking at it. Right now the interest rates are up so that is a positive.

After my financial planner left, I was thinking about going outside and doing some weeding but my energy got up and left me. So tomorrow is another day.  Went through a few more things and getting ready to empty the other linen closet outside of bathroom door. I don't even know what all is in there other than sheets, blankets and pillows. Need to go through all of it to see what I need to keep and what needs to go. Already giving GS 2 sets of sheets for when he moves into his apartment. So a lot of things can go to him such as pillows, towels, blankets that I am no longer using. I don't really need this much stuff. I used to have 3 bedroom suits for all 3 bedrooms and now I only have my bedroom suit as the last of the bedroom suits will be out either this coming weekend or next. I will keep at least one extra set for the sofa bed I am going to buy for the living room. And that should be enough. Then if my GD from Washington or GD from CA comes in to visit I will have a bed in living room for them but I am no longer going to make things so comfortable that they want to stay. Can't do that again. To hard on me trying to keep up with cleaning up behind grown kids. 

• Like 3

:hapydancsmil:   :(   :hapydancsmil:   :(   :hapydancsmil:   :(

Yeah, Its been that kind of a day today. 

So, I got a check today.  :hapydancsmil: But it is only for $34,000. :( 

That is all Bank Of America will release of my $50,000. I went into the bank and railed. It wasn't pretty. I mentioned the Banking Commission, The Fair Trade Commission, AARP and the Senior Citizens, The local TV stations, my lawyer and even mentioned my physical and mental health issues. I even mentioned the fact that. "I, with my tax dollars, bailed their sorry a$$e$ out in 2008."  Not that any of that mattered to them but it felt good and I was on a roll. 

I have to say that the girls working in the bank are very nice. It's the #$%^& in California on the speaker phone whom I was addressing. That woman on the phone told me 'I could always just pay the mortgage off and get my money.'  :rolleyes:  Yes, I could but I'm selling it as soon as I can so why bother. They don't know that though. 

Of course everyone heard. I was ready. I got my own case manager with phone number. Not much was accomplished except I did get further instructions to give to my adjustor and contractor. It's complicated but they will know what to do.

I thought they were holding back what I still owe on the mortgage but those numbers didn't add up either. They owe me another $15,000. I owe them $23,000. Anyway they need an inspection on the house from BOA when the $34,000 is spent before they will release the other $15,000.  Insurance will pay me another $20,000 at the 3/4 mark and then one more $20,000 to complete the job which I will probably have to go through all of this again with inspectors when I get the other two checks. In the mean time, my D-ex offered to loan me the $15,000 to get the total money up to $50,000 so the contractor can start.  

Also in the mean time, my contractor called today. He will be on vacation the first of July and wondered if I could possibly meet with him and my project manager this week. Short notice but Oh Heck Yeah. So they are coming over to the house tomorrow to talk about remodeling stuff. That's when I will talk about the money situation to see if they will start with just $34,000 and get an inspection from BOA for the rest of the money. If so, I won't have to borrow from D-ex. At this point, I really don't care. But I'd rather not borrow money that should already belong to me. I hate to borrow money because you just have to pay it back so it never really seems like you accomplished anything. Rich one minute and back to being broke the next minute feeling. I'm more of a pay as you go girl. 

I ran that check to my bank and deposited it right away. If BOA has any issues take it up with my bank. It has already cleared. They didn't put a hold on it. They just had the manager sign it. 

One big thing I've learned is if you have a mortgage and if you have insurance...after you get half of your money from the insurance company (they work in quarters not lump sums) then the mortgage company controls that money. Not the insurance company and not the homeowner. Basically, the insurance company issues that money to the mortgage holder regardless of how much you owe on that mortgage. You are just the co-signer. And basically, all of this time I have been fighting with the insurance company, it's been for the benefit of the mortgage company. When actually, they should have been fighting for their own house.  

• Sad 6

I would and I have one in mind. The one who did my estate planning thing. He also handles elder law issues. Corporations hate to deal with senior citizen issues. But I just don't want to have to pay him and also have him take a percentage of the settlement money. At this point I'm just hoping the insurance settlement will cover all of the repairs. Paying a lawyer and having him take some of the money is pretty scary. 

• Sad 5

Jeepers, Jeepers, so terrible they did that to you.  I wouldn’t have been as nice as you.  I would have taken the check to my bank, deposited it and let them fight it out.  Personally I despise several of the big banks, because of that.  They wanted me to pay them for cash deposits, 35%!  That didn’t happen and I will never utilize their services again!  

:soapbox:

:gdtmi:

Also, contact your insurance company, tell them the bank stole your money…..

• Sad 5