MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Darn Littlesister. It always something isn't it? Something always need to be done. When I get rid of this mess another one is waiting in Indy. Hope it isn't a money pit.  I was just thinking that apartment life doesn't look so bad sometimes. 

• Sad 6

Jeepers, I think we were posting at the same time. Sounds like your DS got the house sold at a great price.  Hope all works out for him.

Glad you are getting the payment for the house settled. I know that is a big relieve off of your mind.  I keep looking around at this house and wondering how in the world I have accumulated so much stuff. As much as I got rid of, I would have thought my house would be empty by now. But more still going out. Might go back to working on the garage again. I really need to get that mess out of there. I am tired of just a pathway to get to what I need. Yeah. I moved a lot of crap from one place to the other and it all ended up in the garage. Not to mention GS's mess. Skateboards, exercise bars. His dirty clothes scattered about. Old paint cans and such. What I need is to just disappear for a while and see if I come back and find it all just magically cleaned up. B)

• Haha 1

They haven't paid it all yet. Just $15.000 more. I'm still $47,000 short. Hope son's go ahead and accept the offer so they can stop paying for 2 houses. BTDT. 

I can't believe how much stuff is still in this house too. I've pitched and donated so much stuff already. I move stuff around too. LOL. I'm clearing out the bedrooms but as I pack it up I stick it in a walk-in closet. When ever I get the garage cleaned up, the stuff will go out there. :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 3

My husband believed that you don't throw things away as even though you might not use it for a year or so, you might need it later. Well that never happened and one thing after the other was piling up. He would get rid of some things but not much. So, it all either went in sheds, attic or garage. I think it was the way he grew up. Depression era.  He learned from his parents early on not to throw away anything. So here I am dealing with it. If I haven't used it or worn it in over a year it goes to Good Will or the trash. 

I need to make another Lowes shopping trip before GS gets called into bootcamp. He is my muscles for the heavy loads. He hates shopping but he will help with that. Will need to start getting what he needs for bootcamp together for him within the next couple of weeks or so. 

:pray: that he does well on the test.  He goes to the base for that on the 5th and 6th. Then home to wait for the time he has to leave for boot camp. That will be 8 weeks and then home for 2 weeks and then off to CA for 3 or 4 months of school and then his orders for where he will be stationed. Just hope it will not be here. If in NC he can hopefully either live on base or with his parents. I am hoping on base no matter where he goes.

• Like 2

Paid the bills. 

Did the Federal and State taxes and filed them.

Read a book.

Sorted through some computer files.

Overall, productive day.     

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I can't believe how much stuff is still in this house too. I've pitched and donated so much stuff already. I move stuff around too. LOL

6 hours ago, Littlesister said:

My husband believed that you don't throw things away as even though you might not use it for a year or so, you might need it later.

ME TOO!  To both of them!  Jeepers, that's what I had 2 yrs ago with Mom's house after Dad passed (wow, it's been 2 yrs...tomorrow).  Married 72 yrs....35yrs in that 3 story house.  Lotta stair climbing.  Yours too.  :0327:    :hug3:  

LittleSister, I'm the one with the Great Depression point of view.  All the relatives in childhood had gone thru it and I caught the bug.  DH is the long-suffering one in our very tiny house.  Well.......... ya gotta have the TOOLS (very broadly defined)  to do the thing!  :lois:   :cook:   :clothesline::canning:  :fever: :sheeple:  ...Whatever the THING is, now and in a post-hooey hits fan situation.  But......in this house/property....I really have to get clutter cleared.  I'm slowly making some order.  Creative storage helps.  :busted:  

MtRider  :sigh:  ....but I have a RIDE at the regular place tomorrow!  :amen:  cuz the legs is gone already!  

• Like 3

Jeepers, I was a child of depression era parents and grandparents as well. We did make out ok.  I think my DH had it a bit worse as they couldn't even afford a car. They relied on buses to get to work and such. 

Right now, I am looking at how should I prepare if the grid goes down. What will happen if our water supply is down or contaminated. What happens when the stores no longer have food to sell or even cleaning supplies. So, all this stuff in this house, garage, sheds and attic. I look at it all with how I can use this if all the above happens. If I can't use it, trade it for bartering then I don't need it. Thanks to my DD and grandkids, I am good on cleaning supplies but need to go through them and weed out what I can't use. 

What I am doing now is getting rid of what I cannot use and eliminating stuff I haven't used in over a year. If I can't use it for the above things that can happen it's out of here. I am focusing on what I really need for the above issues.  I have all my canning supplies. Ways to cook off grid and things like that. I think I am really just over the having to prepare for the mess this country is in and having all this mess that I need to get rid of as well. It's becoming a give and take situation. Or a dump and add to preps situation. I think I am sat as long as I stay here. It's just getting it all together to see what I have and what I really need. 

Just about the only thing I really need now is a solar generator for back up to the natural gas generator.  And working on DIY stuff. 

• Like 2

Today has been a crazy day. Nothing I needed to do got done. Furnace went out during the night. So had to call the plumber for that. It needed a new coupling so not bad. All fixed and I now have heat. Then the guy for the gutters came out. Yes, I was tired of nails coming out of them and the cracks are getting worse so needed to just bite the bullet and get it done. So, they will be doing that on the 18th. They are also going to put in a couple of rain barrels for me. They are also going to replace the fissure boards as well. So that will be a two for one deal. I need to replace the siding fissure boards and other places as well, so when I need to get that done the price won't be much as they don't replace siding, but they do replace the fissure boards which is most of my siding anyway. I have a brick house. So that takes care of that. So little by little I am getting things done that need to be fixed or replaced around here but need to get back to cleaning and going through things. And what else happens that I am thinking hard about? Food Lion has roast on sale $3.99 a pound. That is $3 off a pound. So might run to store in the morning and pick up enough to can at least 8 to 16 jars of beef while I can still get it at a cheaper price.  So now I will be canning both potatoes and beef tomorrow. Or I should say I hope I get the canning done tomorrow. As my DD is now on her way here. 

• Like 3

I have been prepping with 'soft' goods in mind for the past couple of years. Things like bath/bed linens. Also health and beauty supplies. I have plenty of clothes to last forever except for jeans.  Also getting my kitchen all supplied. Basically, things that will be shipped from overseas. Which is about everything. I'm concerned with shipping. And China has been shutting down a lot of their factories. We manufacture nothing. 

This summer I'm going to concentrate on garden tools and things for the garage. 

I have about all I need for inside the house now. But I'm going to have to spend some big bucks on updates like appliances, countertops, toilets and sinks etc. And a lot of outside yard work, that I can't do, needs done this year. That will cost me! The trim on the house needs painted but it can wait another year. All of the window screens need repaired too. I think I can do those myself though. 

And I need to do a lot of canning in my spare time. :rolleyes:

I never went the storage rental route but when my DIL mother passed, they rented a storage unit to put her stuff in so they could sell her house. DIL doesn't want the stuff but she doesn't want to get rid of it either. So they are paying month after month on stuff no one wants. Now its out of sight... out of mind. That needs addressed. 

I have 12 trash bags stuffed full to donate. They are sitting in the hallway staring at me. It will really clear up some space when I get them out of here. Getting them downstairs and out to the garage and into the car is holding that up. I don't wanna. 

• Like 4

I have thought about a storage shed but it is just another bill to store junk I might not ever use again. What I need for in house is already covered. As for garden tools the only thing I need to replace is the hole diggers. Everything else has been replaced that needed to be. I do need some garden hand tools though also. Mine are wearing out. Also, some more tarps Seems lately I have been going through those for one thing or the other.  Good on canning jars but can never have enough lids. I really don't think I need anything else that I can think of. It's just a matter of replacing things around the house that need replacing. The well is done and soon the gutters will be done. Next the outside lights and I will be getting the ones that come on when something or someone is roaming around. I am also going to get some sort of security system but not sure on what yet. Still researching those. Don't want a monthly fee for one. I think I am just to the point now of just securing the house for if it hits the fan as much as I can. And replacing some things like the outside lights and flood lights as well. I want to add flood lights to the bedroom side of the house also. That is the darkest part of the yard at night. Still thinking about running electric to the one shed since that is really the one for storing things like you would if you rented a storage shed each month. But I don't want it to store stuff I will never use. So, working on that again when the weather turns a bit warmer. Need to buy some more garden hoses also. I think that about covers what I need or need to get done. After that is all done, I am going to take a vacation. Just not sure where yet. By the time I get things finished GS will be out on his own. 

• Like 3

I really need security lights too. I forgot about that. I have one lamp post out in the yard and that's it. It's messed up too. I have to turn it on manually instead of it doing it automatically at dusk to dawn. Then when I do turn it on, it also turns on the porch light. So if I turn the porch light off, the lamp post in the yard goes off too. I don't want either one of them burning 24/7/365. That will need an electrician. $$$

• Like 3

Soooo..  “…what’s been happening…?… here?…”

January, I didn’t go to TX.  Annual bookkeeping, closing the books, financial reports, LLC reports, meetings and taxes, plus the ATF inspections, all were expected.  

DH went in Feb.  Mom called me, when he went shopping, “…I miss you…”. :icon19:
We talked a bit, & she felt better.

DH brought home meat from Sam’s in TX, no sales tax, plus price per pound is approximately $2.00 cheaper than here.  So, for $200. We got 10, 1lb pkgs of hmb, 5, 1” thick steaks, 4, 2 lb pot roasts, 3, 1 lb. Pkgs of sausage, 9, 1 lb pkg of pork chops, 6 1/lb pkg of thick cut bacon and an 11 lb brisket, which I hope to smoke tomorrow…9 hours, according to this site…

DH really liked how it came out the last 2 times I’ve used his way…. 

In other news, IDK if you all remember the house that burned down across the street from us.  A couple from Canada bought it, tore it down, flatted the property and covid hit…Canada wouldn’t let them come back, so they sold it.  Months ago, another, “strange” neighbor was throwing all his trash in the lot.  I woke up around 4 am and watched him….called the police and filed a complaint.  I was having to pick up all his trash that the wind blew into my yard daily.  He tried to tell the cops, it was his property.  :008Laughing:NOT!

Soooo..  a contractor is now building an house there.  Not bad, not open concept either.  They got the framing done, the roof on & it rained hard, they loaded a dump truck with scraps, until it was full, covered in with a tarp and “tried” to back out.  He sunk it 3-4’ in the ground!

Work continued, they tried digging it out, but it was a foot above the gas line.  It wouldn’t move.

Then, the city came, 3 days ago, cut up the road, but, they let me move my vehicle, to park in front of our house… then they dug up the road to install the plumbing for that house.  While they were doing that, the contractor tried to pull the dump truck forward, out of the hole it was buried in….Not a chance!  He almost buried his big truck.  Later in the day, the city used their front loader, to lift the rear of the truck while the 4x4 yanked & pulled it. :woohoo:  It moved!  

To top that…the other neighbor, across the street, seems to be moving….put a large mattress, furniture on top, on a trailer, added all sorts of wood furniture, a plush couch and etc……. 

…..Then, that evening, it rained hard!  Really, really, hard, making a muddy mess..  of the road, and soaking her stuff on her trailer….:groooansmileyf: iDK if she will be able to salvage her furniture.  

People driving our road, have hit a muddy mess, sink hole where they installed the plumbing but, because of the rain, they quit.  I had to drive around it, the ground wasn’t compacted before the rain, and was creating a sink hole.  

And, soooo, this morning, they decided to fill it in.  I “thought” they were going to pave it.  Not a chance!  The dust the sweeper kicked up, because of the traffic hitting the hole, was so intense, I couldn’t see across the street, let alone the equipment that they were using!  The city owes us 3 car washes.  His truck my veh, and his UTV..  good grief, I had to use my windshield washer to see out the front window!  

Being indoors, due to the dust they were kicking up, I made a batch of sourdough loaves…..

IMG_8176.jpeg

DH had part of one loaf, sliced thin, buttered & toasted with his HOT menudo….

And, Soooo……that’s what has been happening around here….  Too much drama…….

Wow, just wow….

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Mom came down this morning and we went to town. She needed to go to the Verizon store. We hit: Rural King, Aldis and WM. Stuck to my list pretty good and stayed under $200 even with oil/filter for my van and 4-1# lp cans for lanterns/cookstoves. I actually missed a bunch of stuff for the cabin cuz I had it on a separate list. She has to go back to the Verizon store next week, so I’ll get the stuff then. 
Got home and got Mom’s stuff in her truck and unloaded my groceries. DH helped unload 7 cases of water from RK and 6 gallons of distilled water from WM cuz they have to go in the basement... my knees HATE the basement. 😡 Then... I went to the basement and cut the batch of soap that I made yesterday. :buttercup:

Played in the kitchen for a bit. Still working on getting my sourdough starter to wake up. I might need to put it on the heating pad— it’s at the far end of the kitchen. Made avocado/egg salad for dinner. DH doesn’t like it, so he had leftovers. <_<

Finally sat down and made a list of dinners in my date book so I don’t forget my plan from what groceries I got. 😂 And redid my *list* of need/want groceries/things.

Tomorrow, the plan is to make soap and maybe start cleaning out flower beds... everything is coming up. Tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be really nice. Monday is supposed to be over 70* again and that’s about too warm and DS1 and I are going to the farm anyhow. :happy0203:

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

Edited by Necie
  • Like 5

Awesome haul Annarchy. Hope I can find some deals in Indy for the freezer too. I feel like I'm missing out and falling further behind. Ugh. Neighbors. You know my story with the creep Jimbo next door. The one who loves me like a third grader needing my attention. :grinning-smiley-044:. I was waiting for you to say they were going to pave a new road for you. Nope. The bread looks lovely! Drama? Us? LOL. Just a major glitch or hack. I don't know which but some of us had trouble signing on. Then we had a reset and lost some posts. But we are smooth sailing...for now. 

Sounds like you had an awesome day too Necie. I wish we had a Rural King in my area. None in Indy nor Ohio. I will Google them for Indy though. I don't mind driving a little ways. All we have at both places is Tractor Supply. Seems like I remember a cousin in southern Indiana talking about a farm store that had the word Red in it? It was a long time ago though. 

I slept through going to the bank and Olive Garden today. Dang it. My days and nights are messed up again. Maybe tomorrow. I'm so sick of typing on this phone with my fat fingers. Hopefully I can get to Best Buy tomorrow and look at a laptop. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Annarchy that is a great haul. I like the way they did that brisket. It looked really good when it was done.  And it looks really good also.  Sounds like you have been really busy. 

Jeepers, I don't know what it is like to sleep in a bit late anymore. But once in a while is nice. I did that this morning as the house was a bit cold and good sleeping weather. But it was because the furnace had quit.  But all fixed now and it is too hot in house now. Even for the thermostat being set at 67*. Might just nock that down a notch or two. Have the ceiling fan going which is helping right now but can't get back to sleep. 

Hope you don't end up getting your days and nights mixed up again. That is a mess to straighten out again. 

I keep putting off getting a new computer and printer, not to mention another TV for the den. Just not in shopping mode for that type of stuff right now. 

DD is at GD's house they got in at about 8:30 last night. They are coming over here sometime tomorrow for a while. They are going back home Sunday night. 

• Like 5
On 2/29/2024 at 6:30 PM, Littlesister said:

We need to find a bottle she will except for those days when mommy is working, and I have her.

Have you tried NUK brand?
"NUK Simply Natural nipples mimic the shape mom's breast takes while breastfeeding. The scooped nipple cavity allows space for baby's tongue and jaw to move naturally, just like they do when breastfeeding."  (https://www.nuk-usa.com/)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I have 12 trash bags stuffed full to donate. They are sitting in the hallway staring at me. It will really clear up some space when I get them out of here. Getting them downstairs and out to the garage and into the car is holding that up. I don't wanna. 

If there's nothing breakable in them, just put them on the landing at the top of the stairs and give them a little "nudge of encouragement" to get gravity to do the work for you.  :STAIRS:   (This is one emoji I never thought I would ever use!!! :24: )

• Haha 6

That will work. Just shove them down the steps and let gravity do the rest. 

Midnightmom,  Those in the picture are the very ones my GD is using. The baby just will not latch on to that bottle.  I bought a Dr. Browns bottle that also mimics the breast. So, hoping when I have her on Tuesday, she will take to that one. The nipple is different and a bit smaller. So, hoping that will work. 

Got a late start this morning as I ended up sleeping in which I did not want to do. Rough night last night. Just could not get to sleep.

I wanted to go to store early this morning but now with DD and SIL here I will wait till Monday. I have through Tuesday to get the roast.  They are going to go check on SIL's parents who live in the neighborhood next to mine. So, without warning they will pop in over here. So, don't want to leave house not knowing when they will show up and then miss them. Yeah, I never get much warning. But at least this time DD told me they were coming in. They stay at my GD's house as DD said she needs baby time. Yep, that baby's schedule will be off all weekend. 

So, I am working on house in a few till they get here. After I finish my coffee. Never get in the way of me and my coffee. I'm not awake till I have had that one cup in the morning. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Midnightmom said:

If there's nothing breakable in them, just put them on the landing at the top of the stairs and give them a little "nudge of encouragement" to get gravity to do the work for you.  :STAIRS:   (This is one emoji I never thought I would ever use!!! :24: )

I really thought of that but I was afraid the bags would burst open. They are cheap Dollar Tree trash bags. 

I think I'll try it though. It's clothes and towels etc. If it's a bust (literally) you know who is getting the blame don't ya? Midnightmom told me to do it. I'm holding you responsible.   :008Laughing:

• Haha 6

LS, have you tried Premie nipples yet?  Sometimes they work because they are softer.  

• Thanks 1

Mother, not yet. But I have some now. When I bought the Dr. Brown baby bottle, it has the nipples for the different stages of baby's age. She will be 5 months old on the 9th. I bought the stage 3 for a 3-month-old and also the stage 1 which is newborn. I will have her again on Tuesday. So will see how those go. Both sizes are smaller round than the ones my GD has and softer. I hated that I had her from 10am till 3pm and could not get her to take that bottle in any way shape or form. When her dad picked her up, I told him, and he said she is very picky about a bottle verses mom. My GD called me that evening and said she gorged herself till she threw up. That just isn't good. So really hoping these will help. They mimic breast feeding so crossing my fingers. 

After taking my GS over to neighbor's house to get his papers for Coast Guard printed out, we came back home, and I did a little bit around here and then went to the store a little while ago.  Got 4 huge chuck roast and 4lbs of 93% hamburger that was on sale also. So going to can up all of it. I was putting canning on the back burner for a bit till I finished up on a few things in pantry and such. But I keep having this nagging feeling to get the meat and can it as well as the 10lbs of potatoes and then start back on the freezers. What meat I have in freezers are going to make soups, spaghetti sauce, and a few other things. 

Don't know what it is but has been nagging at me for over a week. Think I will follow my gut feeling on this one. But at least I now have some shelving room for it. 

• Like 4

You all have been busy!  That is a great haul, Annarchy!  And your neighborhood certainly has the drama going on!

Good luck getting those bags down the stairs, Jeepers!  I would suggest double bagging them, but don't know if that is feasible.

I hope all goes well for your grandson, Little sister.

I'm just tired.

Up early and walked, this morning.
Went to a small Birthday party at 9 this morning for the fellow that I used to help, who owns a little convenience store.
Came home and walked dogs.
Unloaded the big cans in the back of car.
Did month ending books for ebay.
Still haven't changed DH's shower curtain. Maybe today

• Like 4

Finished up in pantry and that was about it.  No church tomorrow as DD is coming over from GD's house in the morning. They are going back tomorrow night. She wanted me to go to GD's house to see her, but I was just tired and wanted to catch up around here from last week. This week is not going to be much better. Babysitting Tuesday, Wed. and Thursday. Wed. I go to GD's house to keep the baby as they have eye doctor appts. over there and it would be easier for me to go there than for them to bring the baby to me and then go all the way back.  So, I only have Friday and Saturday to get things. done next week. Will get things ready to can tomorrow and finish up on Monday. 

• Like 2

I was on the phone last night with DD til after 2am... so slept in a bit too. After 8 before I got up. Usually the sun in the window gets me right up. DD and her dad are doing a Europe vacation in a couple months and there was a glitch and she was all upset. We ended up talking about all sorts of other stuff and I think getting her mind off it for a little bit helped. 

Got up and crocheted for a couple hours. 
Made a batch of soap. (Black Raspberry Vanilla)

Loaded all the plant flats that I’ve collected for the last couple years into the van and took them to DS2’s and put them in his garage. He and DDIL and kids were in town getting lumber for a greenhouse and a chicken coop. They’ve also been looking for some feeder piglets and I finally found them some!! 🐖 Crazy story... I messaged a gal I know from goats that I noticed on FB also has pigs. Turns out she works for a huge hog farm... in the piglet department. 😂 She brings home and raises to weaning and sells the herniated ones that the buyers won’t take... FOR $25 EACH!!! :cele: Instead of getting 5, DS2 is getting 7 or 8. She also raises a heritage breed herself and DS2 might get some of those to breed his own. The commercial hogs get to 800-1000#, but the herniated ones need to be processed before 500#. Which is more the size that they want and I think the breeder ones only get to about that weight. The cheapest they’ve found at auction is $75-100, so this is a heck of a good deal!! 
Then, since it’s so gorgeous out, I got 1 out of 3 of my flower beds cleaned out. It’s on half of the west side of the house and on the north side. 
Came in and wrapped 45 bars of soap (3 different kinds), got 3/6 totes ready for flea market, figured out 5 other soaps that need wrapped... so printed and cut labels, inventoried lotions and figured I need 203 bottles of 22 different kinds. :faint3:Dang!-I need to get busy!!! 
Told DH that I wasn’t cooking dinner, so he made himself grilled cheese and I had more egg salad. 

Probably doing more of the same tomorrow. 

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie 

Edited by Necie
  • Like 4

Awww. Little piggies are so cute. Great price! 

Necie, if you see this, could you Bump up the seed post with the pictures you posted. I know you reposted after the first one was lost but I can't find it anywhere. I wanted to ask about seed saving. Or if anyone else sees this a bumpity-bump would be appreciated.

• Like 2