MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Annarchy,  At the prices for what you got at Sam's was really good. I need to go there to renew my membership. Don't know if I would get those prices on meat here. But I need to go find out. 

Waiting on DD to get here. She didn't give me a time. So, I am waiting. Got everything together to start canning the roast I got yesterday.  Just a matter of getting the meat in the jars and into the canner. So will be making today a canning day. Before I start on another project around here. 

• Like 3

I am contemplating moving all my rosemary to the front garden bed by the porch.  It is uncouth? probably.  but it grows well and my hydrangeas do not.   

• Like 2

I am wanting to put in some areas that are more controlled for those things that spread. My daughter said they planted a fig tree. It hasn't produced yet but after I made those fig preserves from some figs that was given to her. She is wanting to make fig preserves. They were really good. 

Got the 4 roasts canned all sealed. So just sitting on counter now to cool down. 16 pints of beef. DD and SIL came over for a while. I was just getting the last of the jars in the canner when they got here. My SIL wants to learn to can really bad. He was all over watching that being done. My daughter said she will make jellies and jams, but she doesn't want to can anything else. She said she is going to fill up her freezer. She best be able to keep that freezer going if the lights go out. No backup generator. 

Will be canning 8#'s of hamburger tomorrow morning. But some will be meatballs, some spaghetti sauce, taco hamburger and plain hamburger. So, an all-day canning session tomorrow.  

Will wash clothes in a bit as I won't have time to do that in the morning. Starting right in on the hamburger first thing in the morning. 

Then Tuesday back to babysitting and then Wednesday off to the doctor appt. and then to Newport News to babysit so DGD can go to the eye doctor.  Then babysitting on Thursday. Plus, on Tuesday I have to go vote.  No free days until Friday and Saturday. Hope my energy levels stay up. 

• Like 3

Got all the clothes washed and put away.  The beef is ready to go to the pantry. And I found out about 8 pm tonight that GD needs me to babysit the baby. She has a meeting at 2pm. I'm glad it's in the afternoon as I should be done with the canning hopefully by then. I have everything I need out, washed and ready to go early tomorrow. Seems now I can't get a break. But I love having the baby over here. Hard to believe she's almost 5 months old already. I will be babysitting 4 days this week.

GS will be gone Tuesday and Thursday for the test and physical for Coast Guard. I really hope and pray he does well on that test. 

• Like 4

Crocheted for a couple hours this morning. 
Cut batch of soap (75 bars). 
Made a batch of lotion (30 bottles). 
Cleaned out other flower bed on west and south side of house. Just my bigger *weed* garden left to clean out. It has flowers and herbs in it. 
Printed and cut 22 sheets of lotion labels (10 labels on each) and 9 sheets of soap labels (15 labels on each). 
Took the last 2 batches of soap I made upstairs and stacked them to cure. Wrapped 90 bars of soap. 
I have all 6 totes of soap ready to go to flea market (just gotta fill in the 2 I’m waiting on to cure later). Now working on lotion for flea market and soap inventory for farmer’s market. 
DH made venison cheeseburgers for dinner. 🤤 

Called Mom at 8 (nightly routine). She went to Shipshewana today with DSIS4. Sis had to finish cleaning out her old building and get everything moved into her new building at the flea market. She just started there last year and and the manager gave her the absolute worst building in the place. Flooded 8” when we had a downpour one day and the drains were clogged. Another time a cat got in through a hole somewhere and couldn’t figure out how to get back out. The poor thing must’ve freaked out... broken stuff everywhere and sis found it dead. 😞

Finally found somewhere cheap enough to fill my small lp tanks for the cabin. So filling them in the morning and going to pick up DS1 and go to the farm for awhile and maybe clean the house up a bit. 

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

• Like 5

Sheeesh....y'all make me tired just reading all that you do.  I'm envious of you all that do canning with ease/experience and Darlene and Necie for knowledge of making soaps/lotions/etc.  I've done a bit of these things.  Not enough to do it efficiently enough for my energy to hold up.  Last canning I did ....I recruited DH to help finish it.  Pickled beets from one of the last successful gardens.  {dratted voles!}  :sigh:  But at least if I had to, I do know the how and why to begin again.  Team with DH tho.  Between us, we have mostly a whole-and-able person.  :rolleyes:

We have been severely WINDY.  Sounded like it was trying to blow the cabin down.  Old cabin.  Sometimes you wonder. 

I think that system is heading east now.  Snow later in the week.  Don't think I reported that my horse ride on Sat morning was really good.  Just the new hired guy and me.  A chance to get me on the horse and chance for him to familiarize himself with the trails in snow/ice conditions.  They had a big family group that afternoon.  The two of us encountered a LOT of ice and had to go off trail several times.  Almost turned back at one location - long uphill section.  If it had ice, we probably couldn't have continued but it was just snow.  Put a whole group on there tho, and it's probably ice now.  The sun is melting but that's in the woods part. 

Anyway, the ride was fun - tiny adventure......riding a big 'ole horse that might lose footing at any moment on icy mountain terrain.  :lol:  BTDT before.  The new wrangler was relieved that I was experienced as soon as he saw our icy trails.  Asked me right away - how much have you ridden????? :huh:  Lots...we're okay.  But I asked:  Are they barefoot?  Yes!  Cuz metal horse shoes are ice skates on these conditions.  Whew!  I was glad to hear that.  The natural hoof is so much better. 

Today I'm  :0327:  I can walk but my stamina is used up.  Yikes, my time is nearly up to complete a lesson in Hawaiian today...after 11pm already.  (right, Jeepers!)  

MtRider  .....run to get to bed after Hawaiian.....    

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I've done a bit of these things.  Not enough to do it efficiently enough for my energy to hold up.

Energy?? Who has energy?:008Laughing:I’m a mess!! Organized chaos. :wink(2): But I’m  soooo far behind. Staying at Mom’s for 2 months to help her take care of Dad really got me off my winter schedule. I’m way behind in my crocheting and still not working on it as much as usual cuz there’s so much else that needs done. Canning has almost been put on hold... DS2 still has 2 deer in his freezer that I need to get done. I do have a check on soap making... I can only do 8 batches every 3 weeks. That’s all the shelf space I have for curing. I usually make soap from January through March (sometimes April depending on the year) and make lotions in April. Markets and gardens start in May. I’ll never be ready in time and everything else is a disaster. 🥴

I agree with you about horses being barefoot. I never understood shoes for pasture or trails unless they’re extremely hard/rocky. Amish buggy horses need shoes. They really do a number on the roads! Can you imagine the damage to their hooves if they weren’t shoed?! Luckily, in this area, the main roads have buggy lanes. Safer all around and it keeps the road damage (called horse troughs) to that area and not where vehicles can get squirrely and out of control on them. 

• Like 5

We made up goat milk and glycerin soaps Christmas before last.  I still have 2 1/2 gallons of bars in bags in the closet.   We don't sell  it though.  Just personal and gifts.  It is fun to make with dried flowers forming visual artwork.  

• Like 5

Necie and Littlesister, You two are both so busy, it makes my head spin!  I'm feeling like a slacker, these days.

Yesterday was just regular Church day and walk the dogs.

Already walked this morning.
Handyman will be here soon to fix a couple of small issues inside house.  And then pressure wash house for future painting.
Later, is laundry
Shovel city gutters so we don't flood when it rains later.
Write my friend in Military.

• Like 5

Miki, I always thought you were the busy one. Just much more organized than me. :lol: 

I have so much to get done in this house and a zillian interuptions. I have been pushing myself a lot lately. 

Got 10 pints of meatballs in canner and 5 quarts of water. I always can water when I don't have enough for a full canner load. 

GD just texted me. Baby is very cranky and fussy. She caught GD's cold. Not bad but enough to make a baby fussy all day. So, off the hook for that. So will start cleaning up the mess I made in the kitchen soon. I am babysitting tomorrow though. But not canning. 

Will be making spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight. Not quite enough meatballs left over to fill a jar. So that will be tonight's dinner. 

• Like 4

My plans were put on hold today too. I had a lot of errands to run but the construction guys are here fixing my sinks. There are a number of minor issues too. They will have to come back. Drat. I hate workers in the house. I dont know what to do with myself. Especially with no furniture except for my bed. Awkward.  The issue with the fridge was the water wasn't turned on. Problem with the dinning room light was the bulbs weren't dimmer bulbs. I didn't put those bulbs in. Sigh. I'm just on here now trying to look busy.  LOL. 

• Like 4

It looks like almost everyone is getting much accomplished. I am so jealous.

It is nearly a month since my scooter died. I have been through heck and back. My Dr. took almost a week to sign the paperwork.  Poor dear is so busy.  The nurse did the paperwork the day I went in but it had to be signed by him personally. Then the provider messed up by not getting a prior approval.  Anyhow it was officially approved by Medicare and ordered for me last Friday.  I have no idea how long until it arrives. Meanwhile, I am really suffering. When you call Medicare all they want to do is read their manual to you.  Forget about asking a question and getting an answer. They read every word too!

Jeepers I hope your insurance ordeal is over soon.  When my son had a claim he had a heck of a time getting the checks signed by his mortgage company.  The mortgage had changed hands several times and they had to keep re-issuing the checks in the new holder company. It took him nearly 6 months to get it straight.

Littlesister I have been craving an old fashioned pot roast.  I wish we had a good sale like you did.

Annarchy your bread is making me hungry.  It has been ages since I made some at home.

I had a depressing birthday last Friday.  I hope I get turned around soon with a new set of wheels and a new attitude!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Momo, you will get there. Once you get that wheelchair things should start to turn around. Don't worry about what you can't get done. Tomorrow is another day. Just enjoy the moments and catch up on some reading, a good movie or some other DIY project that you enjoy doing. :hug3:

Granddaughter called me. Baby has a virus. her fever shot up to 101.9 and she took her to doctor. Doctor said to just give her Motrin for the fever, but GD doesn't want to give it to her and let it come down naturally. It did go down to 99.3 but is back up again. New mom with that natural instinct doesn't get baby's fever down. Told her again give her that Motrin. I hope she did this time. If not, she will have a rough night. Problem is I am supposed to babysit tomorrow. So, will see what happens. 

All the meatballs and canned water sealed. So just need to let sit and in morning wipe down the jars, date and put away. The potatoes will wait till Friday.

Grandson goes tomorrow for his test and physical. Praying that he will do well and get there safely. I am ready for him to head to bootcamp.  

It has been raining here all day. So, no outside work. Thinking I might not get to work outside before the weekend. And that will depend on the weather. 

• Like 3

Momo, I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it. Medicare isn't what I thought it would be either. I think my supplemental insurance pays more than Medicare. Americans don't get taken very good care of do we? You hang in there girl! It will happen for you. So glad you were approved!  :hug3:

I know what your son went through. My mortgage was sold to Bank of America. I didn't like that. Only good thing is they opened a branch in my town about 5 years ago so I take my checks to them and they send it to California for me. I have one person who works with me so I can call her directly. I guess she is my advisor or what ever. It's been 14 months...

• Like 4

Momo.  :hug3:  At least you got the doctor’s signature.  I can’t get one without seeing several different doctors and even more tests.  And then a certain number of weeks of pt….  We pay for all scooters and etc.  thank the Lord I have some handy family repairmen.  

I totally understand your frustration and depression.  It’s hard, I know but try to hang in there.  Do whatever it takes to get through this. When I’m really down or having a really tough patch I play music or even sing, I read a good book like LS said, or I figure out something to research, not anything related to my problems but something fun and different.  I find short meditations or relaxation tapes to listen to, they really help with the pain and stress.  When I have to be sedentary I make list of the things I am looking forward to doing, I even add a few work things.  Or I ponder a few things I wish I could do and then I put my mind to trying to figure out ways I MIGHT be able to do them from the wheelchair even though I know I won’t.  Lately I have been thinking of chickens.  Not of having them again but about what the coop would have to be like to work from the wheel chair if I DID have them.  You would not believe the impossible ideas I’ve had about that :grinning-smiley-044:

Momo, what I am trying to say I guess is that even though we are incapacitated we can still live through our thoughts, our dreams, through our memories, good ones that is.  I’m not saying escapism, I am saying working on that new attitude you mention.  You might not be able to change what is happening to you but you can change your attitude to it.  I know, I know, it’s not easy. I fail at it too, but then, after I have a nice pity party I just start over.  

We care Momo, :bighug2:

• Like 5

Momo, :pray:.  Hang in there.  I don't get much accomplished, either.   :hug3:    Many days it is barely anything.   

LS, :pray:  for your little GGD.   Here's something neat...when baby is ill,  the mother's breastmilk changes to help baby fight off the illness.   So the mother actually makes antibodies in her breastmilk to fight something the mother's body isn't fighting off!   It amazes me how God designed these things to work. 

We put hair from DD's last haircut in the yard under the bird feeders.   Interesting to watch some of the birds gather it for nesting material. 

It was in the 70s today.   We have a few daffodils poking up in the yard.  This was the 2nd winter in a row with barely any snow.   I don't mind winter...no pollen, no slitheries. 

• Like 4

Got up and around this morning and headed to fill up the lp tanks. Flat rate is $12/20# and $18/30#. But if they’re not empty, then they go by weight. Ended up costing me $24!! :cele:

And they have the COOLEST store (Amish)!! I spent way too much, but they have all the casings and seasonings and stuff for sausage/brats/snack sticks, gal/qt/pt bags for the food saver, AMAZING baking/spice isle (I got LEMON baking chips!! :woohoo:). I also got a salt and pepper shaker set like the old Tupperware ones with the snap-tight lids for the cabin, and the cutest little rolling pins for the younger grandkids. 
Then headed to DS1s and picked him up to go to the farm. Mom followed in her truck. We took a walk down the lane to see what my uncle had moved from our sale barn to the back barn when he redid the floor last fall. Then we cleaned up a bit of the house. DSIS4 had taken a couple curios out to use at the flea market, so we need to figure out how to rearrange to fill in the empty wall space. 
Dropped DS1 off and unloaded lp tanks in the cabin. When I got home, made dinner, wrapped another 90 bars of soap (farmer’s market soap inventory done) and started filling totes for the inventory I keep at the house for buyers that drop in. Got to the L/M area, figured I’d missed a couple, had enough for the day and finally sat my butt in my chair!! 

Tomorrow, plan to make soap, work more on the inventory totes and mess around in the kitchen. Maybe clean out my van if the rain lets up early. 

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

• Like 5

GGD is doing better this morning. They will be here around 10 am. I am watching the baby while GD works from dining room. Not going to try to push a bottle as she will not take it anyway. Haven't tried the new one yet so will wait till baby is doing much better. GD said the baby nursed and slept a lot yesterday but did sleep through the night. So that is a good sign. I hope her fever is gone for good. 

OOTO it is true about breast feeding. It has all the antibiotics that a baby needs to fight off a cold and such.  That is definitely a gift from God. Less drugs that way. And that is a good thing. I won't get much done today. But after GGD and GD goes home I will get started on things again. Got the meatballs washed up and labeled. Just need to transfer them to the pantry and put them away. This was my first-time doing meatballs. They turned out really well. Had one jar that I didn't have enough to fill so that went into spaghetti for dinner. GS tore that up. 3 helpings of spaghetti. And I only got one meatball to try. He finished them off. I am so far free on Friday and Sat. so will get the potatoes canned. Going to follow a recipe from I think it was. Sutton Daze or one of the other ones. It's dry canning potatoes. Not going to do the whole 10# that way but will do about 3 or 4 jars to see how they do. 

• Like 3

Do you mean "dry packing" @Littlesister?  And pressure canning?  I do that with potatoes, except shredded.

Walked early, today.
Handyman pressure washed house yesterday and is working on DH's shower this morning.
Have the last load of laundry in the dryer.
Will walk dogs in a bit.
Then clean bathrooms.

I'm so glad that your new chair is ordered @Momo!  I'm sure that will give you a different perspective.

I'm praying for your GS today, @Littlesister!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Long morning.   A vehicle crash in our area caused the power to go out from 730am to just a few minutes ago.   I could have been productive and cleaned, but none of my lights or power tools worked and I was tired and lazy, so we sat near a window and read all morning instead.  I did use my solar powered phone bank to recharge my phone. 

• Like 4

Miki, yes, dry can and pressure can I think is what the instructions said. Need to go back and reread it again. Baby is finally down for a nap. She's still not feeling well so had to coach her to sleep. 

GS is getting things together to leave for the Coast Guard base in the morning. He is on phone with them now. I thought he said 5th and 6th but it's the 6th and 7th he will be gone. 

I am just relaxing right now and keeping things quiet so baby will sleep. She's not nursing well either. Had a temp. yesterday but not today. But is congested a little bit. She's just not a happy camper. Hope this cold goes away soon. GD's DH came down with it Sunday. Still not feeling well either. GD had it last week and is over it. Doctor said it is just a virus and to give Motrin for fever. So, no covid, flu or anything. 

Euophryine, I heard there were 5 car crashes in different areas with one having to have the helicopter come in and took 3 people to Norfolk General. It was crazy. I love those power banks; I use them on my phone and kindle. I gave GS one and he keeps in on dashboard to charge it by solar and it is working great. 

Edited by Littlesister
Accidents.
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Littlesister said:

am so far free on Friday and Sat. so will get the potatoes canned. Going to follow a recipe from I think it was. Sutton Daze or one of the other ones. It's dry canning potatoes. Not going to do the whole 10# that way but will do about 3 or 4 jars to see how they do. 

I can guarantee you that you did not see that recipe/method on SuttonsDaze - unless it was a warning video. :canning:

• Like 1

Midnightmom, I have been following Sutton Daze for a long time so could not remember for sure where I saw the potatoes. It was Canning Diva. I had to go back and find it again. She is one I have not seen much of what she does, but this sounds good. I just hope it works well. Not going to do many jars of them. Just enough to see how they turn out. 

For the potatoes dice up the potatoes like you want and then use 4 oz. of ghee or melted butter to 35 medium size potatoes. You cover the potatoes with water and cover let sit for one hour. Then drain the potatoes and pat dry. Place potatoes in bowl and cover with ghee or butter salt to taste and toss to thoroughly coat the potatoes. Pack the jars and put in canner. using 10lb weight for pints which I am using the time is 35minutes. 

Baby woke up from nap in a better mood. Got fed, changed and played a bit and then got fussy again. So took her outside and we swung in the swing, and she went back to sleep. By then mom was done with her meeting and fed her again and got her ready to go home but baby was ready to play instead of a car ride. She is spoiled rotten. 

• Like 3

I have seen that potato recipe someplace too. I can't remember where. It's bookmarked in my computer that has no internet. It was from a lady who either was, or lives in Mennonite country. Not Homestead Tessie. They do look good though.

Suttons Days used to do quite a bit of rebel canning before she went after Rose Red. People called her out on it and she took down some of her recipes. Speaking of...did you notice she 'grew' dreads all of the sudden? Reminded me that The Kneady Homesteader had dreads put in quite a few months ago. Speaking of...I wish Kneady would remove the old video of her covering over canning jars with a towel, hot out of the canner, when she was a newbie. 

Guess in just being picky today. 

• Like 3

MIL called, she’s coming back with me this month…she asked in December, but said she might not come….So, now I’m busy cleaning & clearing her room/my office/art room/sewing room and my closet out to accommodate her stuff.  Drawers need to be emptied, her shower chair has to be reset, DH folded it up & put it in the shed…which is so full right now, you can’t walk 3 foot into it. I have to dig around to find it.  Which is another thing that needs to happen.

I ran over my sprinkler hose, yesterday, with the lawn mower, (a new/used Toro, our gardener gave me….  Self propelled!  I almost had to jog behind it, lol). Anyway, I had to replace the hose, connections, and re-adjust the spray, today.  

And then, I need to do online research, for the boss,   before MIL gets here in 2 weeks …….:runcirclsmiley2:

Glad to hear everyone is hanging in there….  :pray:

• Like 4
  • Sad 3