MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Eggs Have Not Gone On Sale!

Staceyy

I've been waiting for eggs to go on sale around Eastertime so that I could buy in bulk and preserve them by freezing some and coating others with shortening and storing for up to 6 months in my basement, but eggs in my area have not gone on sale this year. I planned on buying up to 15 dozen. I guess I'm stuck paying full price for awhile. I do have some powdered eggs though.

free range he says yet he buys their feed at the Agway

It is pretty normal to supplement... especially if you want decent production.

I have about 100 layers... they free range AND get kitchen scraps AND we feed about 100lbs of layer mixed with 50lbs of cracked corn a week...

One of the gals at work said that Meijers had them for $1.19. Large, white eggs. They're usually $1.75-$2.25.

She bought a dozen from me. grin Fresh is still best.

fresh? if you can peel them after hard boiling them.. they are at least a month old!!!

fresh from the chicken eggs will not peel when hard boiled. I have tried all of the wise tales about them.. add this or do that.. but it still boils down to fresh eggs will not peel.

What has to happen is that the eggs need to be old, it allows air to get into the shell and starts to dehydrate the egg. Once this occurs there is a separation between the shell and the egg.. now it will peel once hard boiled.

My ladies' eggs will peel easily up to about 2 weeks old. Any younger than that, and they'll need to be made into egg salad.

chick01.gifchicken01.gifchick.gif

Just bought a dozen and a half eggs for... get ready for it... 5.99. Ouch.

Okay, I lie, it was buy one get one free. But if I hadn't bought the second, the first would have been pricey.

They RAISED the price to put them on sale!

Originally Posted By: Leah
My ladies' eggs will peel easily up to about 2 weeks old. Any younger than that, and they'll need to be made into egg salad.
My experience with duck eggs was about the same: they needed to be at least two weeks old to get a decent hard-boiled egg.

Since my poultry are currently all fluff and down, I, too, have been watching for sales. I'll let you know when I find one. frown

Do you think powdered eggs will come down in price anytime soon? A couple of months ago, I could buy a #10 can for $15 and something, now a can is $20!!! I mistakenly thought I had more time to get them at the lower price. I did manage to get a couple cans though.

This years Easter was early. It goes buy the first full moon after the start of spring. And since alot of hens arnt into full laying production (by what I hear) They didnt put them on sale. Now if it had been in April I would figure they would have.

Eggs are still $1.99 here.

Dh has made out his order for the chicks. Looks like I will be innundated with eggs since he has 30 chicks on his wish list. Anybody wanna buy some eggs in about 6 months happy02?

Archived