MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Introductions?

SDBookMom

Hi, I am Cheryl in SD. That would be South Dakota, not San Diego. I live right in the middle of the Black Hills, in a town of 42 people. 6% of whom live in my house. laugh

We are frantically playing catch up with prepping (is that okay to say here?) I have five kids so store clerks just think they eat a lot. We started prepping after reading Down The Hole by Sally Six. All of the sudden we were not messing about. I went from two weeks to a years worth this winter. Whew!

We hope to grow 70% of our own food this year on 1.67 acres. If I could afford a Dexter, it would be more! Hmmm, I wonder if I could trade 4 goats & their kids for a Dexter? I miss fresh butter!

We currently have four does, all ready to kid next month. We recently brought home a pair of French Lop rabbits. The new shipment of chicks arrive on April 27th-28th.

I have a black thumb, but am going to try yet again & have been studying all winter, and I THINK I am ready. One more time I have hope that I can grow a garden and produce enough to feed us. I think I can, I think I can.

I have five children (oh, I said that already!) I have one husband of 21.5 years. Or 2 years, you choose. My dh is an OTR trucker, so he only gets to help about 4 days a month if I am lucky. The rest of the work falls to the kids & me. The children are 5 - 13. Four girls, one boy (he wants to go trucking with dad until I am through menopause & his sisters through puberty (he doesn't SAY those words, just things like, Could I go with dad until the girls aren't always crying? And Dad isn't as cranky as you are, could I go with him?) Dh is staying away more too. There could be a correlation?!?

I am 48. I look it. I know people always say, I look younger than my age. I don't. I look 48. I have a grey skunk streak. I am overweight and not getting thinner. Not even really working on it. Oh, I pretend I am, but I am not. laugh

For the record. I am a conservative, a Baptist, a pro life, narrow minded type who tries to be nice but every once in a while slips up and says/writes things without thinking. I am not very PC. If that's a problem, please say so. I don't like to cause trouble, really!

Oh, and we home school.

Anything else you want to know?

Joyfully,

Cheryl

Originally Posted By: SDBookMom

....I have five children (oh, I said that already!) I have one husband of 21.5 years. Or 2 years, you choose. My dh is an OTR trucker, so he only gets to help about 4 days a month if I am lucky. The rest of the work falls to the kids & me. The children are 5 - 13. Four girls, one boy (he wants to go trucking with dad until I am through menopause & his sisters through puberty (he doesn't SAY those words, just things like, Could I go with dad until the girls aren't always crying? And Dad isn't as cranky as you are, could I go with him?) Dh is staying away more too. There could be a correlation?!?

...I am 48. I look it. I know people always say, I look younger than my age. I don't. I look 48. I have a grey skunk streak. I am overweight and not getting thinner. Not even really working on it. Oh, I pretend I am, but I am not...

...Anything else you want to know?

Joyfully,
Cheryl

Yes! I wanna know if you ever write a book...or blog! (Erma Bombeck, move over...here comes Cheryl!)

Originally Posted By: SDBookMom
I am not very PC. If that's a problem, please say so. I don't like to cause trouble, really!

You'll like it here! We have a forum for just that sort of thing. Check out The Edge...

Welcome to MrsSurvival! I think you will enjoy it here as much as I do.

I love the way a lot of the threads here evolve into many new ways around old problems! Sometimes, threads get a little off track, but keep reading, because sometimes the juciest fruit is buried where you least expect it!

Mais cher! Don't miss out! apple.gif

Welcome to one of the most progressive "all-purpose" preparedness/survivalist sites on the Internet. dance013.gif Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

--Sharon

I don't mind if the rest of you aren't conservative, as long as you don't mind that I am. laugh I like hearing different views. I just don't like being belittled for my views. I respect a lot of people who don't agree with me, but I respect myself enough to expect that respect to go both ways. laugh I would even go so far as to say I like a lot of very liberal people, sometimes more than the conservatives I know, I just think they are wrong, but hey, they have a right to be wrong! And it has nothing to do with how much I like talking to them or being around them or learning from them.

Fair warning, if you tell me something like "We are all on a journey and have picked it up and are carrying it into the river with us." I will probably want to know some things like - Where are we going and do I have to come, too? What are we picking up and do I have to carry whatever it is just because you seem to have an obsession with carrying things. And personally it has to be very hot before I enjoy getting in any kind of river, so why don't you carry your "it" and go swimming on your journey by yourself. I'll sit on the bank read my Encyclopedia of Country Living and sip my ice tea. I might even start a garden and divert some of that river water for irrigation. Let me know if you need any help, ok?

Joyfully,

Cheryl

Quote:
Fair warning, if you tell me something like "We are all on a journey and have picked it up and are carrying it into the river with us." I will probably want to know some things like - Where are we going and do I have to come, too? What are we picking up and do I have to carry whatever it is just because you seem to have an obsession with carrying things. And personally it has to be very hot before I enjoy getting in any kind of river, so why don't you carry your "it" and go swimming on your journey by yourself. I'll sit on the bank read my Encyclopedia of Country Living and sip my ice tea. I might even start a garden and divert some of that river water for irrigation. Let me know if you need any help, ok?

roflroflroflroflroflroflroflrofl

You might find it hard to bite that lip once in a while... and I'll ask you *nicely* once in a while if it comes to that. happy02

But I sure love that spunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bouquet

welcome6

Your introduction is delightful, and I think you'll fit in just fine. I think you'll have things to share with us, and that we'll have things to share with you. Moreso, we can support each other in embracing a lifestyle that may seem strange to ppl we meet IRL.

bighug

Cheryl! You sound like me, LOL! And, we're getting ready to move to your neck of the woods in just a matter of weeks eek

(I haven't posted about our move yet). I like your thoughts on the journey to the river - I'll bring a pitcher of ice tea too!

PM me with the name of your church and the town - we'll be in the county not a city or town.

Glad you joined us! bighug

Hi Cheryl, welcome and come on in the waters fine.

My better-half is wandering around here some where, if you see her, tell her it's time to come home, oh by the way she's Snowmom, you'll know her she's the one with the frying pan looking for me. LOL

Question: if you have goats, have you tried to make butter from their milk, we had a flock for about 3-4 years and never had better butter, but you do need a separator and churn.

But once again welcome, and enjoy.

welcome3 Cheryl, I can tell already that you are going to fit right in. Don't hesitate to jump in and get posting. I can hardly wait. grin

bighug

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg and welcomedogs2.gif .

Yes, we did have a bunch of goats and we used the milk, we did seporate it and we made butter. But, the butter is white and looked like lard. The kids weren't to happy with it so we went to a cheese factory and got a little amount of the yellow coloring they used in the cheese. smile It did the trick, only a drop of the coloring was all that was needed. smile

When we sold the goats, the kids, our kids, that is, didn't like going back to the 2% milk, they said it didn't taste as good and it didn't look good. frownsmile

I used the milk in everything, just as I would and do use cows milk. smile

We did butcher one goat, but, I just couldn't eat it, or not a lot of it. It was just the idea that the goat had been such a pet. frown It was good, but, knowing he had been a pet, just didn't help. I would rather eat the beef. smile

If we were to get either for milk, it would be a goat or two.

Now, since Old Pine said something about I was the one with the frying pan, I found this. smilehitingwithfrypan1.gif Now he will have to come and look at it. smile

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Archived