MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Another problem

WormGuy

I just got back from the eye doctor, actually two of them. I have been having some problems in my left eye for about 2-3 weeks, nothing that I thought was major. Boy was I wrong. First doc says yep there is a problem and you need to go see the doc at the retina clinic. So off we go and when he looked he said you have a major tear and it needs to be fixed now.

They prep me by numbing the eye to an extent and then shove a tube around the eyeball to inject more numbing stuff. He whips out this laser that when it hits the ceilig it looks like a spaceship with lights around the edge. He tapes my right eye closed and procedes to start frying my left eye. I lost count on how many times he zapped me. It was over 300. He also went around the entire retina to make sure it would not come loose.

I have a 75% chance of full recovery but also the chance that the right eye will do the same thing at some point down the road. I have a huge patch over my eye and the pain is starting to kick in. I go back tomorrow for him to look at it. The really bad news is I can't work for four weeks at least. I have to walk slowly while keeping my head tilted to the left looking like a zombie and I can't bend over or pick up anything.

I know that by the grace of God I will get through this but I worry about the finances and the garden this year. I saw some cukes poking up yesterday and the tomato's look good. I can't feed Samson or give him his twice daily massage that he dearly loves when he gets fed. I also can't sit at the computer for very long at a time and I have to lay on the couch on my left side all day. Of course when I lay on the couch I lay on my right side to watch TV due to how the furniture is so this will be a change.

The wife is gone to get the eyedrops for me so I need to get on the couch. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

:wormie2:

John

Hope it works for you Wormie. That's the main thing. The rest is just something crappy you have to go through but keeping your vision is worth the hassle. I learned that when I had cataract surgery a few years ago.

Hugs to you!

Have her watch you after putting in the drops. If the drops are NeoDecadron, it has neosporin in it. Guess how I found out I'm allergic to neosporin?

Do you know how to put in measured eyedrops? You seize the lashes, pull the lid away from the ball (it will make a wet, kissing sound) and drop the drops in under the pulled-out lid, then let go of the lashes. That way the first blink won't squeegee the medicine right out of your eye.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having eye problems Wormy. We will be praying for a positive outcome. Take care of yourself.

Praying for you! Take good care of yourself and do exactly as the doctor says. A lady I know thought she could do what she wanted. She came home from eye surgery and canned peaches. She lost her eye.

I know this was not a funny thing to happen to her but.............................

You know ONE of us had to say it?

Did she look into the canned peaches for her lost eye? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Oh John, so sorry for what you are going through. But, really follow your doctor's instructions to the letter. Can't say it strongly enough. You don't want to mess around with your eyesight. Will it be easy, not completely, but it is doable. Just hang in there. You can do it! (((John)))

Hey WormGuy, I am thinking that your pain might be Samson's gain. :) I already see him on the sofa with you getting his doggie massage in the prone position. :behindsofa: Since you have to spend so much time laying on your side you will need a body size pillow to help keep you in position...can you say Samson. :wink (2):

Seriously though, as everyone else said do what the doctors tell you. It sounds like your garden is going great and will be producing on its own with no additional help needed except to harvest and I am sure others will step in to help.

I join in too praying for a speedy and complete recovery. :thumbs:

Praying for you! Take good care of yourself and do exactly as the doctor says. A lady I know thought she could do what she wanted. She came home from eye surgery and canned peaches. She lost her eye.

I know this was not a funny thing to happen to her but.............................

You know ONE of us had to say it?

Did she look into the canned peaches for her lost eye? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Bad, bad!! :)

(((((Wormie!!!)))))

I'm SO sorry that you had a "torn eyeball," sweetie! I know everyone has told you this, but I've got to chime in -- please take it easy and do what your doctor says! You don't want to lose your eyeball in a can of peaches or have it roll under the couch! :D Seriously, I know that it's going to be really hard to have this enforced rest right at one of the busiest times of the year...but it will be well worth it to keep your vision sharp and your eye healthy.

I do have to say, however, that the idea of you shuffling around with your head cocked to the left like a zombie is a pretty funny one....just groan, "Braaaaaaaaaaains," and you can really freak people out when they come to your door! :D

Take care, honey, and you'll have prayers going up for you from AZ.

:bighug2:

Take care Wormie! I had holes and tears in the retina of one eye and had laser surgery over 20 years ago. It's still holding and never had any more problems. But it was extensive surgery at the time and I had to mind the Dr. during recovery. So it was worth preserving my sight and not having more problems later. Just be prepared for a major headache for a day after the numbing wears off. It felt like I had been to the beach all day without sunglasses in the glare. I drove myself to the doctor and thought I'd never get home that day but did by the grace of God! Hang in there!

Thanks for all the prayers and advice, what you have said is what the doc told me. I am stubborn but I am not willing to go blind in that eye so I am following his orders. I just got back from the doc and he said all of the welds are holding and I go back Tuesday for another checkup.The bad news is he put me off work for six weekd instead of four. More later on Tuesday.

John

Awww man! How did I miss this, Wormie? I am so sorry that you're going through this and I hope that things will be better soon. Maybe you can get a friend to come over to help Mrs. Wormie move the furniture so that you can at least see the tv from the couch. If you haven't applied for temporary disability, now is the time. Take good care of yourself!

The wife moved the loveseat about a foot back since I'm not allowed to move anything. CGA, I dug out a few books and I have been working on them when I don't fall asleep.

I went back the the doctor today and he said everything is looking good. I still can't work, bend, push, pull, or pick up anything heavy. I go back next Friday for another checkup. God is good!

John

Awwwww ((((((Wormie))))))) What an awful thing to have happen. :( But what a great chance to take a break and rest up for all the harvesting and preserving that you will be doing. ;) Behave yourself and mind your docs! Saying a prayer for complete healing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived