MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lets play a game of "He said - She said"

OK so someone was on a Garden Tour and when asked WHY they didn't garden HE turned to HER and said "YOU tell them".

She answered " Thats water over the dam Dear" meaning I thnk - - WE will NOT talk about that.

NOW I say Water under the bridge and never heard water over the dam?

BUT

Lori says somethying is Kitty corner and I say that it is Katty corner?

I say pop but Loi says it soda? - years ago I went into a store and asked for a pop. The guy Looks at me and said Dad retired last year and HE was running the store! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

so How do YOU say it?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Water flows from either direction in my vocabulary. Over and under.

Kitty-corner.

My corner of Iowa had pop and 'blast jackets' but college in MINN taught me 'soda' and 'windbreakers'.

Tennis shoes have become [expensive! :o:0327: ] er, 'athletic shoes'.

Fip flops (thingie-between-the-toes kind) are 'slippahs' in Hawaii (where they've never heard of the warm fuzzy slipper!)

I say 'U-hooks' to attach fencing to wooden posts but DH insists on 'staples' ...and I find that generalization too confusing.

I sometimes slip and say "your kuleana"...which is a Hawaiian concept meaning [literaly, your slice of land] ...but also: your portion, responsibility, option....cuz there is no direct translating word in English. :shrug:

"Truth be told..."

"Two o'clock of an afternoon..."

Some things are regional cuz of weather:

"Blowing Kona"

"oh good, a Chinnook!"

"predicting groupel today with the storm"

"head for shelter - it's an Albuquerque Low! :o "

MtRider [lived in so many regions, I'm all mixed up :wacko: ]

There are a lot of differences in how people sa things, and I can't think of many of the difference now One that stuck with me from years ago was tonic instead of pop or soda. That is what I grew up with in Massachusetts, but they looked at me like I was crazy when I said it.

What do you call a water fountain? The thing in the park throwing water in the air, or the thing you drink out of?

I was raised calling the one you drink from a "bubbler", only to have people look at me strangely. Remember public bubblers out on the street? Ours even had a little bowl designed into the stand below to catch the run off for the pets to get a cold drink (and for little kids to stand on the edge of so they could drink without being lifted up!) They have all disappeared. Around here the fizzy stuff was 'pop' unless you lived in a more cosmopolitain 'university town' then it was soda, or soda pop. Also the Polish 'youse guys' is still common. We 'hot-up' leftovers or a washcloth (running hot water over it). I thought Warsh Water was only in Maryland...

Memphis-all sodas were called "coke", unless your were actually ordering a Grapette or such. We warshed our clothes, said Chicargo, kattycorner. We also "carried" people across town> Got funny looks here, they just drive people across town. I don't care to means I don't want to in Memphis; here it means I don't mind if I do.

You have to learn the lingo when you move.

Wellllll, I've spent my life being the only person I ever knew to say "worsh".... :shrug: But I've never been to Pittsburg. Wonder how I ever picked that up but I've always said it that way. A bit less noticible now tho, I think.

MtRider [ worsh the clothes :clothesline: ]

My mom has always been a stickler for saying things correctly, but she always called potatoes, beddayduz. She is from the same area that I live in now and I've never heard anyone else pronounce it that way.:shrug:

However, I had a babysiter whose whole family had some rather unusual ways of saying things. They would make dinner on the cookstove.You signed your checks with an inkpen. They had a housedog (lived inside) and a watchdog (lived outside). A book for children was a pitcher book, not to be confused with a picture book. My babysitter always put on her face before going to the bowling alley on Friday. Instead of going to the grocery store or to the supermarket, they went to market.Even if they were going to take a shower, they said that they were going to take a bath.

British friends don't go to the hospital or attend the university. Instead they go to hospital and to university.

My husband's aunt says ernions instead of onions.

It is always interesting to see how other people do things. I bought a book about colloquialisms and dialects on sale at Barnes and Noble a few months ago. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I forgot what it is called.

Edited to add- We also have an elderly neighbor who refers to children as chirren.

Here in my neck of the woods (central Texas):

a coke is any brown colored carbonated drink...unless it's Dr. Pepper...then that's a D.P.

a coon's age is a really long time, like "I haven't seen you in a coon's age."

"ride for the brand" means you are loyal to your employer

My grandmother had an interesting way of cursing...:

mell of a hess = hell of a mess

moose mess = bullsh*t

son of sea cook = d*mn it

She also would "stamp" hay trucks (she's lick her thump and press it into the middle if the opposite palm and then hit that palm with the fist of the hand she licked) as the truck drove by

she would hold up feet up when driving over a bridge and hold her breath when going past a grave yard.

Here in SW VA we say pop, katty cornered, water under the bridge.

I have a bunch of cousins that say "warnits" instead of walnuts.

Exclamations of surprise or shock (used by my grandparents generation) inlcuded "I wish t' me drap dead", "Hush!", "I wish t' me never".

We use "reckon" a lot as in "What do you reckon she'll do?" Or as a response" "I think she's going to town tomorrow". Reply "Reckon?" or "I reckon so".

Untelling as in "Where is that book I was reading?" Reply: "Untelling." (I have no idea where the book is)

"Yon way or yan way" instead of yonder

Instead of "what do you think?" we often say "What do you reckon?" or "What do you allow (shortened to "low", to rhyme to cow). She lowed she'd be back about 5 o'clock

We "lay off" to do things as in "I layed off to clean out that closet but I haven't had time yet". It means I'd planned to do it.

To "wool" something, has several connotations. You can wool a dog (pet it vigorously), you can wool a pie (kind of wallow it around while trying to get a piece of it and mess it up). "I'm wooled to death" means I've worked hard and I'm worn out.

We "house up" in winter and don't go outside much.

"He ain't no account" means he is in poor health, not necessarily that he is worthless. You can tell by the tone of voice.

We do things by "little chapters". "I'm going to rest a little chapter, then I'll do the dishes." "I stopped by and visited Joe a little chapter."

"Soon of a morning" means early every morning. "Soon in the morning" means early tomorrow morning

Instead of throwing tantrums or throwing fits, people cut shines.

That's probably enough for now :)

At my house we say:

worsh = wash

worsher = washing machine

pop = soda

buggy = shopping cart

sack = paper bag & sometimes plastic too

kattah-corner

water over the bridge :blink:

I just found out recently it's cab-in-ets not cabnuts :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Yawnna = do you want to.

Yawnna go = do you want to go

Oh hail yeah = oh h*ll yes!

I have a bad habit of adding more syllables to a word than need be. For example I often say 'weh-el-uh' instead of well.

Sometimes I don't put enough in like 'far' for fire. That's usually when I'm just 'tard' (tired) though.

Daylily...you gave me a good laugh. I understood all of what you were saying without an explanation. Except for the wool thing. We say reckon around here all the time too.

I'll bet you 'borl' your beans instead of boil too! Or do you 'bile' them down? :lol:

Daylily...you gave me a good laugh. I understood all of what you were saying without an explanation. Except for the wool thing. We say reckon around here all the time too.

I'll bet you 'borl' your beans instead of boil too! Or do you 'bile' them down? :lol:

/quote]

Lol...the older folks biled but we younger ones boil. Also snakes quiled up to strike. That rhymes with biled, BTW.

If i tell my son to "turn the fire off under that pot", he will always say, "This is an electric burner Mama. There is no 'fire' under it." I also say 'warsh' , and 'go get your bath', and we only have showers. A 'coke' is any soft drink. And I always thought people were saying 'caddy corner'.

SusanG and Daylily, you both had a bunch I'd never heard of. That wool thing! And I'm definitely taking notes on Moose Mess and Son of a Sea Cook. [i'm mess up if I tried to say 'Mell of a Hess' :rolleyes: ] I say "Hooey Hits the Fan".

windah or winder = window

tah marrah = tomorrow

Are you of a mind to do this? = want to/ planning to

Along with the stove issue, have you thot of the antiquated phrases like: "Hang up the receiver" (disconnect the call)..."Pick up the phone" (answer the call) Originally from the days of the wall phones where the transmit and receive were separate. You'd put the listening part up to your ear and talk into the funnel-shaped speaker.

Goin' to town = literally, for rural folks OR meaning really accomplishing something. "I was goin' to town building my new goat pen today" [for real...I was! :P ]

A fun break from depressing news, Amishway Homesteaders!!! :cheer: Good idea!

MtRider [..cain't buh-leeve there's so many folks who worsh clothes like me. Even my immediate family didn't worsh! :lol: ]

tah marrah = tomorrow

Snippet

Tah marrah?????

Why that's fancy talk. We just say tamarr

I have a BIL and SIL whose names are Wayne and Brenda. Nine times out of ten the whole family has accidently call them Brain and Windah. :24:

Except for me of course. :whistling:

Originally crick...but lately I've heard that come out more like 'creek'

Sofa, couch, or davenport?

Driveway, lane, or......?

deck, porch, lanai, ...... or are they all different structures?

MtRider

Originally crick...but lately I've heard that come out more like 'creek'

Sofa, couch, or davenport?

Driveway, lane, or......?

deck, porch, lanai, ...... or are they all different structures?

MtRider

Was crick now I say creek

Couch if it has 3 cushions, love seat if 2 cushions

Driveway if it's paved, lane if it's gravel

Deck at the back of the house, porch at the front.

LOL

We say creek, driveway, couch. Another term here for crooked is siegoggling. I don't even know how to spell it! Then there is sworp. That means to move in an erratic way that causes havoc. As in "he sworped through the living and knocked a lamp over". Often used to decribe someone's driving too.

I have a friend from BC, Canada that calls her kitchen counter or bathroom counter a "deck". I'd never heard that before I met her and her family.

• 3 weeks later...

Here a coke is any soda, although since I work at a grocery store I have had to change that to soda or pop because of the brand name confusion. A few of my friends would always say "sodee" for coke. My grandma has always said warsh for wash, and my husband says crick for creek and I always make fun of him for that. (He's from so. IL) Hmm... Katty corner, couch, driveway, to me a deck is raised off the ground and a porch is concrete. I'm only 23, but I always say hang up or pick up the phone. People around here say water under the bridge. This is fun! I'll have to think of more.

" I'm gonna do it" means I may do it today, tomorrow, or two weeks from now.

" I'm fixin' to do it" means I will do it immediately.

Also, any carbonated beverage is a Coke.

And that long green flexible thing that water comes out of? That's a hosepipe, of course!

Archived