MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Took a nice long walk on one of our city's walking trails (about a mile) and then me and Abby-girl just hung out while hubby went back to work on the bathroom project.  Gotta do some remodeling down in the basement/cellar...wires everywhere...old plumbing every which way...junctions made where junctions shouldn't be and aren't safe.  But...it will be safe for us!

Fixed one of the turkey's and had another "small" Thanksgiving dinner!  Tonight we had turkey and noodles with veggies and the left over green bean casserole.  NOW...to start pressure canning Turkey veggie soup tomorrow.  When I'm going to use the soup, I make some noodles beforehand so I can dump some noodles in it...or go big and add dumplings.

• Like 2

Cold, freezing rain, and foggy EARLY this morning on my way to the VA hospital for my first (ever) steroid shot. It went into the pelvis via CT scan and should bring relief for months to come. Also started PT for that area last week. The Radiologist thinks I can get a head-start on continuing relief in the future. I'm also sticking with my chiropractor, though. He's kept me out of trouble for decades.    :wave:

I did specifically ask him if I could delay the drywall hanging with hubby today. Doc just sort of stared at me. I guess retired old ladies should stay in their rocking chairs.  I get today OFF in the kitchen.   :whistling:  Why do these doctors get younger and better looking as the decades pass by?    :24:

Edited by Homesteader
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
On 12/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, Ambergris said:

Thank you.

I assume you have done everything including requesting e-coupons for Prodaxa? Sometimes when the insurance company chokes, you can get these amazing e-coupons that bring your first three months down to ten bucks so they can get you on the hook.  Then you find some other deal, hopefully, for the next three months.

Ambergris,  i have gotten the e-coupons and some of the drug stores refused them. I am going to see if doc. has samples to get me through till after the 1st of year as we have changed his RX insurance to something that won't be a pain about the prices that we have to pay. Hoping the new insurance will work out. 

• Like 4

Took a load of laundry to the homestead and while it was drying and hubby was downstairs in the cellar, I mosied upstairs and started doing some inventory work.  One really loses track of things if it's not where you're using it frequently.  This way I'll know..."I want my power juicer..." and know exactly where it's at! LOL  Up and down the stairs gave me quite a good workoutl  Then we came home for lunch, and after hubby went back to working I jarred up 7 quarts of turkey/vegetable soup.  I still have one turkey on the back porch in the cooler and 5 more in the chest freezer at the homestead...yikes!  It sounded like such a good bargain...until you have to start jarring them "turkeys" up!  Anyway...I'll get it done.  Since my canner was on the stove I drug out my electric pressure cooker and fixed us a "hamburger stew".  EZ PZ.  I had a half pint of carrots and a half pint of celery that didn't seal last week and had them in the frig.  So...I drained them and dumped them in the pot along with some onions, after the potatoes and meat was done.  Very tasty!  

102_1249 Hamburger Stew.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

LOL....dontcha think hanging drywall MIGHT be contra-indicated, Homesteader?   :rolleyes: 

Well today I took the ACE wrap off my L wrist.  It's been 2 wks and it's still very sensitive when I move it wrong.  Tendons take so long.  At least I hope it's only tendons!!  So when I went outside for ducks and dog, I put a velcro brace on it.  Simple to get on/off.  Barely got my glove on tho.  Just hope I don't slip on ice again.  :imoksmiley: 

The land behind our house has raised ....due to erosion of steep mountain hill behind us.  So the gate between small doggie yard and the big goat pen is stuck.  It's a chain link gate and I FIXED IT today.  :lol:  Does anyone besides me....and probably Annarchy....love it when you get NEW TOOLS for presents?  :santa:   I used the BIG OLE adjustable wrench to slide the whole gate up the pipe and secure it higher.  Made a lot more sense than trying to dig the eroded dirt out of the way....it being frozen solid and all...  :rolleyes:   Told DH I used my big wrench and he just laughs.  He's not really a Tool Guy.  Now if Mizz BarksAlot really shouldn't go all over the [former] goat yard when she has a middle of night emergency, we can shut that gate.  Otherwise, it's all hers since we are now goatless.  :sigh:   VERY glad we don't have so much livestock now but....miss them!  

Sunny but cold/windy today.  :frozen: 

MtRider  .....NO SLIPPING ON ICE ALLOWED!!!  :pray: 

• Like 4

I used to get free samples from my doctor when I would get new meds too. I usually had to ask for them. No problem with that. She would say she had to go look. If they had them, she gave them. So, they must have a stash from the drug reps. Hope your new Rx works out better.

That stew looks so good. You're killing' me over here.   :yum3:

Oh, I love tools too. Home Depot, Lowes and Menards are my ideas of a dream shopping spree. Tools...I got em.  Dang girl, you just reminded me of something. About 5 miles from me is a strip of road that has a brand new Menards where the old K-mart was. Only been open a couple of months. On that road is the Menards, Home Depot, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Office Max AND America's biggest candy store, B.A.Sweeties. By the corner is Aldi's. A straight shot all within about 2 miles of each other. On the same side of the road. About a mile away is Lowes, Michaels and Bed Bath and Beyond. Look out Brookpark Road and Ridge Road! Maybe tomorrow? So little money...so many stores. I'm really going to miss shopping up here! 

Everyone stay upright out there! 

• Like 4

WE2, that stew looks so good.  You're making me hungry.  

New tools are great. But DH has more tools than he will ever use.  

Took DH to gastro doctor this morning. He was not in good shape. So swollen he could not keep his balance and I had to hold on to him the whole time.  They decided at this time not to do the colonoscopy as they think the blood thinner played a part in the bleeding he had. Ruptured blood vessel. Though we did discuss his swallowing issues and doc. agrees he needs to have that checked into. But they do not want to put him through nocking him out if they don't have to.  So he is going to have a barron swallow done to see what might be goig on. It may be just that he needs to has his throat stretched. But doc. did take a good look at his labs and they were bad. Liver counts are way up and his primary doc. said nothing. So DH goes back to him Thursday and I have a copy of the labs and we are going to have a chat about why he is not doing anything nor even mentioning anything about the bad results.  It is so hard to find good doctors around here anymore. Don't think the primary doctor is going to like me when I tell him I want answers as to why DH is going down hill like this and he says nothing.  I still think it is the Eliquis but doc. has to look into and he is doing nothing. 

But on another note, after we got home, I got him settled and then started washing clothes and started dusting and trying to get things together for Christmas. It will be here before I am ready.  Trying to get things done and running back and forth to different doctors is a job in it's self. But some how I will manage. 

Stay safe and warm, no slipping on ice or snow everyone. This weather is a roller coaster ride. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Menards

Hubby does most of his shopping at Menards during their 11% rebate weeks...since he's doing so much remodeling it really pays.  When he gets his "check" rebate back in the mail (about 4 weeks) he uses them to buy other things that aren't on sale or don't have the rebate. One of those items was Abby-girl's new fluffy bed...9.99$ for an after black Friday sale, and with rebate...cost was 0$.

• Like 3

probably Annarchy....love it when you get NEW TOOLS for presents?  

Indeed I do!  Lol.  DH has his tools and borrows mine and keeps them.  :shakinghead:  I find them and put them back into my tool chest.  Lol. I also have a carry tool box that goes with me in the vehicle.  Mine!  :behindsofa:

While making the enchilada sauce, one clove of garlic slipped out of my hand, into the sink, I picked it up, washed it off and set it on the counter, where it promptly rolled back into the sink.  After crushing the other cloves, I picked it up again and looked at it.  It was beginning to sprout.  I set it down and finished prepping the sauce, thinking, if I really needed it, I would use it.  I picked it up and it slipped out of my hand again.  I thought, ‘it wants to live’. The following day, I got a small planter & planted it.  By the end of the day, it had grown almost an half an inch. It is now almost 3” tall and growing like a weed.  It will live in the kitchen for a while. Silly things make me happy.  

We are still trying to recover from the crud.  We are feeling better, but our energy levels are still low.  God willing, this too shall pass quickly.  

• Like 3

DH is still asleep. Seems that is most of his day now as he can't do much and it is starting to play on him as he gets upset when he can't help me do certain things. I just keep telling him it is nothing he can help me with and not to worry about it. We will get by just fine. Right now I just want him to rest and get well. 

So I have just been on here reading this morning while drinking my coffee. So guess I better get moving as it is now 10 am. I did finish loading the dishwasher and got that going.  Think I am just moving slow this morning. Did a lot yesterday. Need to head to store to pick up an RX. So may head out that way while DH is asleep.

• Sad 2
2 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

Indeed I do!  Lol.  DH has his tools and borrows mine and keeps them.  :shakinghead:  I find them and put them back into my tool chest.  Lol. I also have a carry tool box that goes with me in the vehicle.  Mine!  :behindsofa:

While making the enchilada sauce, one clove of garlic slipped out of my hand, into the sink, I picked it up, washed it off and set it on the counter, where it promptly rolled back into the sink.  After crushing the other cloves, I picked it up again and looked at it.  It was beginning to sprout.  I set it down and finished prepping the sauce, thinking, if I really needed it, I would use it.  I picked it up and it slipped out of my hand again.  I thought, ‘it wants to live’. The following day, I got a small planter & planted it.  By the end of the day, it had grown almost an half an inch. It is now almost 3” tall and growing like a weed.  It will live in the kitchen for a while. Silly things make me happy.  

We are still trying to recover from the crud.  We are feeling better, but our energy levels are still low.  God willing, this too shall pass quickly.  

Ann, I hope you guys are feeling much better. Colds are no fun and will drain you fast. Rest up and take it easy. God's prayers will heal you.    That garlic just wanted a little love and a chance to grow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DH’s friend stopped by and asked me to go to his house & get an ice chest with elk meat he hadn’t finished processing and doesn’t want it to go to waste.

:woohoo::amen:    

I know what I’m doing today, after I finish processing the turkey bone broth I started earlier this morning.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hoot..I’m tired.  We’ve been blessed.  Praise God!

I saved the bones & juice from our turkey and made bone broth this morning, starting around 5am.  That turkey gave us 10 vacuum sealed packages for meals- sliced for sandwiches and scraps for anything else.  :amen:  The broth made 5 pints & 3, 1/2 pints of broth, plus 3 cups of scraps for munchies, after I removed the squishy bones.  :amen:  I got the turkey at .68 cents/lb. because I couldn’t afford $6+ / lb. for hamburger!

The elk... went over & picked up the ice chest, he told me to get.  There was two game bags covered in ice.  I brought it home, but, waited until I finished canning the broth.  

Gunny was overwhelmed by the smell and “guarded” the chest outside.  Lol.  Pulled the jars out of the canner and washed all my bowels & utensils.  Then, as usual, fed the hens, re-filled their water, did poo patrol and sat a moment before coming back in to have my breakfast... an avocado, around 9am.  

Took my large bowl out, opened the ice chest, brought in one game bag of meat and washed all the pieces off.  Lots of hair, normal.  Ended filling 2 large bowls with meat.  I emptied the ice/blood into my mulch bin and rinsed their ice chest.  Gunny was beside himself because I didn’t let him have it.  Lol.

I started processing the meat, removing the sinews.  He gave us mostly the legs, a piece of the neck, and one rib cage meat.  I was able to get 2 lbs. of “steak medallions”, and 15 lbs. for meat, which I ground into burger, adding an 1/4 lb. of bacon.  The 1/2 lb. sinuses were packaged in 5 small bags for Gunny.  And, the rib meat I packaged by itself for an elk rib meal.  We have a total of 15 lbs. of ground meat to last us the month.

Simply amazing how God provided for us.  I am in awe.  :amen:  

And... praise God for my dearest DH, for giving me the KitchenAid for Christmas last year, with the meat grinder attachment.  :amen:  Otherwise I would have had to grind it all with my hand crank meat grinder.  

• Like 5

Jarred up 9 pints of turkey and they're sitting on the counter waiting for me to wash, dry and label them in the morning.  Now...only 5 more to process...but...not for a few days.  Those will just stay in the deep freeze a bit longer. Was nice to just put it in the roaster last night and wake this morning to a done turkey.  I let it set covered in the roaster while I went w/hubby to the homestead and dried a load of laundry.  Was cool enough to handle when I got back. 

• Like 2

Feeling a bit "relieved" but not happy.  We literally were digging into our nickles and dimes to come up with enough dollars to pay the insurance bill on one of the houses.  Praying this is the LAST year we pay taxes, insurance and utilities on three properties.  Hubby ran into a problem trying to insert some new joist in the basement...so he'll enjoy your prayers of wisdom and knowledge...thanks!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

:pray:   for God to whisper wisdom into MrWE2s ear....and for his safety - always - as he works.

Hmmm.....I need to use that new-fangled-gadget to pressure cook up some turkey broth/meat/veggies.  :scratchhead:   You know me and PUSHING NEW BUTTONS.....  :hidingsmile:    But I NEEEED that freezer space!  DH just dives right in and has used the Instant Pot a few times now.  I knew he'd like it. 

Due to DH's pending shoulder surgery.....and all the trouble with WINTER here already.....we gave away our ducks today.  They're still here for now but the gals from the county Animal Control stopped by this morning.  We'd asked them to return to pick up most of our horse equipment.  We've no energy/time to try to sell it.  Best it's outta here and used somewhere.  Then they watched the last 4 ducks out in the sunshine.  "You want them? " I asked quickly.

One lady's dd keeps ducks and she said her and her dh would come over and take them.  Deliver to their dd.  Told them about DH's shoulder surgery ....pending.  But it will be in winter....toooooooo much for me to handle.  So  :duck1: will be gone soon too.  That leaves only Koa....and she's a keeper, of course. 

DH and Koa went off to town for several hours today.  I kept all doors locked and certain things handy....even when I was in the shower to wash hair.  I really prefer to have her here but she needs to get out sometimes.  Loves going with DH to town or to the parks....or just to the library.   I think she gets out more than I do...  :rolleyes: 

Hope to take my mom out tomorrow or the next day.  Before we're supposed to have some/not lots  of snow again over weekend. 

Between DH and I, we've gotten gas transferred from those OBNOXIOUS-REGULATED  :motz_6:   gas containers and into my old truck.  Bought a battery-powered siphon and it works.....  But it's not strong enough to pull up from the container sitting on the ground.  We have a big barrel and hauled that to the side of the truck.  Setting the red gas containers on that worked real well.  Jeepers, did you ever get your issue of gas into your riding lawn mower figured out?  The manual siphon pump was trash and went straight back to the store!  Hmph!

MtRider  ....Gotta do my Hawaiian lessons and go to bed  ....to read first tho, of course  

• Like 3

Hooray!  I can finally start doing things around here again - no lifting restrictions.  So Im starting in easy, limiting my lifting to 10-20 lbs for starters and seeing how it goes.  As my back surgery looms, I am finding rehab facilities for post surgical care since I will be fairly helpless and Mary cant lift me (and the pets running around would NOT understand not being on my lap or in bed by my side which will be forbidden for the first while).  Soo.....I was astounded to find really low ratings for rehab facilities close by, unless for drug or alcohol rehab.  Now THOSE there are plenty of.  (It figures, but there is good money in that kind of rehab.)  But I did find a likely place 30 min away, with the amenities I would want - WIFI, cable TV, food choices, events and activities, one on one physical therapy, etc.  My insurance will fund 180 days in such a place, my husband was in one and it was rather nice.  This one is much the same.  The reviews were especially important to me, and this one I am considering had excellent ones.  I want to have everything set up ready as I wont feel like it post surgery, needless to say!

Friday I go for another MRI of my neck for my new doc, he wants to see if anything needs straightening there I guess.  I went before but my claustrophobia kicked in an I had to reschedule after getting a couple of diazepam to take before the mri.  Bad enough that thing being 3 inches from my nose, but strapped down with my head in a clamp was something the claustrophobia could NOT take!  Hopefully with the meds I can put a washcloth over my eyes and pretend I am in bed in my CPAP and relax or hopefully doze for that 45 min.  Fingers crossed.   

Choir practice was fun last night.  We had no men show up so when we got to the parts where the tenors had solos I sang those (just for giggles) much to the amusement of my fellow singers.  I am one of the few that can read music, and I did not want them to struggle trying to count the measures while the "men" sang, so I just did it to make  things flow more easily.  We were cracking jokes about me being a tenor through soprano voice.  Can NOT do those bass parts, but that's OK  (lol)  it would just confuse things.  Have been getting to do solos here and there because I can sing loud, and on key, too.  I told them when I signed up...if you need me to do it, I will, no hesitation.  I will at least take a shot at it.  I like the singing and an in awe of our high soprano, who can sing waaaaay up in the rafters.  She sang an awesome "Ave Maria" in Latin lat Sunday.  I'm going to miss the music while I am in rehab....maybe Mary & I can dig out my keyboard so I can at least play on that.  Don;t know if the place has a piano or not.  They do have church services though so I will maybe be able to sing there a bit to keep in practice and all.  

The winter garden is growing by leaps & bounds.  Now picking: HUGE Florida Giant mustard, HUGE Bok Choy, less huge collard greens.  I have given some away (no shortage of folks willing to take winter veggies, LOL) to my priest, whose eyes light up when he sees me bringing a white bag from the truck after church.  

Marys doctor got some too - she had never heard of bok choy, but is now a convert.  I dehydrated some mustard greens to make powder, so when I am in the rehab I can make bouillon & greens soup for sipping in the afternoon.  I like greens far more than most, and I'm not sure if the meals would have them as often as I like, except they do have a fresh fruit selection on their coffee break cart which is more than most institutional kitchens have.  (I'll have to take along my own nutritional yeast as well, I suspect.  I'll have Mary bring it in a care package on a visit.)  I am assuming I can get cottage cheese to boost my protein uptake for faster healing.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

Kap, you probably know this, but having a private duty nurse stop in to check on you: checking your medications, checking your charts and nursing notes, making her own notes on everything, and generally making sure everything is dress-right-dress even once a week will make a huge difference in the quality of care you receive from the people who work there.   This is the secret to surviving rehab in the deep south.

• Like 1

I must agree. God's faithfullness is aways something we can count on.  Right now I am faithful that they will find out what is causing all of DH's issues. He is misurable. The fluid just in his legs alone make them so heavy he can hardly lift them.  So saw a doctor Tuesdsay, Saw 2 doctors today and has had labs twice this week.  Please keep him in prayer as he only has about  1/3 of his heart working like it should and the Eliquis is really doing a number on him.  Seems times like this is when you really need to stay strong in faith as we go through things like this.  God has seen us through tough illnesses before and I am sure he will get us through this as well. So yes keeping the faith. 

kap, having someone to come in and check on you would be a great idea. Ambergris is right about that. If not a private duty nurse which would be good, but if not, at least a neighbor that would know what to do if something were to go wrong way.  Take things easy and don't try to do to much lifting. Just go slow. 

Well off to the store to pick up a couple of RX's for DH.  Story of my life. Go, Go , Go.

• Sad 2

Love your garlic story Annarchy. You have been truly blessed in the food department this week. And you certainly worked for it too. Hope your creeping crud creeps on out of your life for good. It really hangs on, huh?

We2, glad you got your insurance paid. I know how it is. I'm paying 2 insurances and 2 mortgages this year again. And utilities too. Summer wasn't so bad but I still have to heat both places. I pray we can both get out from under next year. My only saving grace is the insurance and property taxes are done every month. I could pay off this Ohio house. After over 30 years here I don't owe much but I like having everything paid at the end of every month through the mortgage. And nearly all of the $600.00 a month is taxes and insurance. I'm in a very high tax county up here. Close to $6,000.00 a year for not much. I'm sure I'd be in panic mode twice a year otherwise. The Indy house is another story. I'll probably never get out from under it. Not so easy buying a house/starting over when you're a senior. Prayers for Mr. We2 too! 

Mt. Rider, I'm sorry you had to get rid of your animals. I know you love and miss them. I really did worry about you taking care of them in the winter. I'm sorry but glad that responsibility is now relieved from both you and your DH too. Maybe another time in another place will turn out better. Ms Barksalot is a definite keeper! 

I did get my gas can issue under control. I went on Amazon and bought a couple of the old fashion yellow spouts. One piece molded plastic. They came with a cap like thing that you use on the plastic can. You drill a hole in the top of the can and insert the cap. It allows air to come in so the spout flows evenly and dirt stays out of the can. I didn't do that. Will let son so it when I move. By 'can' I mean the plastic jugs, not metal. No more trying to pull that other one apart to get the gas to flow. I never used that thing but what I didn't spill gas all over the place including myself too. Hate those things. Much more gas is spilled with those than the old kind. Living in Colorado, they might be banned. If so, let me know. I can hook you up. :ph34r:   

What I really want is a 14 gallon can on wheels that has a hose and a handle grip attached similar to a real gas pump. I could put it on a shelf for gravity sake and just pull the trigger. They didnt get the best reviews because all the gas in the can doesn't completely drain out. I wouldn't care. I'd keep it filled anyway. BUT it's expensive. So I wait. 

Kappy, glad you found a rehab place you like. That's important for your mental/emotional health too. Knowing it's temporary is a plus too. I envy anyone who can sing. I love to sing but it's for my ears only. Tune in a bucket...can't even carry. If they have a piano, that would really boost the morale of the other patients too. What a gift that would be. Be sure to keep us updated. Good advise from Ambergris about the nurse too. 

Littlesister, prayers said for your DH too. Bless him. Also for things to settle down so you can get rested up too! Try to not let your body run down. That flu and virus out there is awful and it lingers too. 

LOL if this was a drinking game you'd all be sloshed by now.  I just noticed how many times I said 'too'. I'm leaving them in. Have fun.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 4

Yep...having some gas set back pulled us out this time!  Was able to pour 10 gallons into the truck.  That should last us through the month if we're very careful about driving.  We could take Miss B if it was necessary, but she doesn't get as good a mileage as the truck...but she's available.  I've been 'praying "money cometh" ...LOL  So hubby spent the afternoon sorting through his metal collection and has a load of aluminum and a bit of copper to take to the recyclers.  Sure glad we are able to keep that stuff stored and a place right here in town that we can take it to cash it in.  Had one of my turkey pints not seal so fixed white chili for supper tonight along with a small pan of cornbread.  Been eating out of our pantry for a month now, and will do so this month and next month.  Still have one more property to pay taxes on.  I'll be getting one of my inheritance checks in January but I'd sure like to keep it for next years taxes on the homestead.  With both of those checks plus the "curcuit breaker" relief refund it usually pays most of the taxes on the homestead...which was the plan.  But you know how it is...life happens and you get behind.  But we're sure thankful for the pantry and the other things we've set back.  Have a birthday party to go to Saturday so I dug into my stash of cards and found one for our friend, and made a half pint of elderberry jelly as a gift.  

• Like 3

WE2, I have been where you are now. Times like that can be tough but some how we always manage to pull through. Praying all works out for you.  Food storage can really pay off when you need it the most.  Had to use my food storage to pull my daughter and her husband out of a few hard months in the past as well. They got through it and so will you.  Keep the faith, it will all work out in the end.

Ann, I have never had elk meat, but have heard it is good.  You have been blessed to be able to have a friend to give that to you. 

I have eating bear and wild boar, and deer meat but that is about it as far as hunting meat goes. The neighbor that gave us the meat got transferred to CA. He rented his house out here and he said he and his wife will be moving back sometime next year. They have been missed around here. But we do all keep in touch. He is retiring from military. So he will be doing a lot of hunting.  Now to get my grandson to go fishing next spring if he has the time and we will all be sitting good.  I taught my neighbor and his wife how to can pickles. When they move back and get their garden going again, I am sure they will want some canning lessons on other things as well. 

• Like 1
On 12/12/2019 at 12:00 AM, kappydell said:

(I'll have to take along my own nutritional yeast as well, I suspect.  I'll have Mary bring it in a care package on a visit.)  I am assuming I can get cottage cheese to boost my protein uptake for faster healing.

When I visited an ailing neighbor in the nursing home, her medical staff suggested Greek yogurt for extra protein to help heal her deep wounds from an accident.  She didn't like it at first, but all the fruit seemed to make it palatable for her. Hope you like yogurt.  :hug3:

• Like 1