MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Hubby's still working on the homestead's "project".  Went to run some wiring for the basement/cellar since he's moving my dryer as well as disconnecting the kitchen electric range, and found out "why" you couldn't run the dryer at the same time as the washer.  Totally unsafe stuff was garbaged together just to get electricity to a certain place!  I stayed around here and got some of my canning supplies put away for the time being and some other odds and ends.  Then we went to join friends for a birthday party.  The "theme" was "The Titanic".  Everyone dressed up in characters (we chose not to) and then after the meal being served to the "First Class" passengers (roast beef with Amish noodles) we played a game of Trivia.  Our team we named "Icebergs" and their team they called the "Unsinkables".  Well...the score was 9-8...they won, but we just about got them!  It really was quite fun.

After the Trivia we had ice cream sundaes...yummmy!

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3

I'm contemplating going to Wal-Mart to get some travel supplies since I need to go out in that direction today anyway. I'll wait until about 6:00pm to leave and do a drive by to see what the parking lot looks like. If it's crowded I'll go back tomorrow. I need to pick up a pack of Christmas cards and get on the ball. I only need to send out about 6. I remember a time when I had to send 25-30. I only send them to family out of state now. 

I still have the splinters in my hands. They only hurt when touched. But they keep getting caught in the blanket and throw etc. I won't be able to wear my mittens. The yarn will tear them up. Just keep my hands in my coat pockets I guess. 

Glad MrWe2 found the electrical problems before there was a fire! Electricity scares the stuffings out of me. Gas and electricity both scare me enough that I won't mess with them. Of course that is because I have no idea what I'm doing. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
49 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Glad MrWe2 found the electrical problems before there was a fire! Electricity scares the stuffings out of me. Gas and electricity both scare me enough that I won't mess with them. Of course that is because I have no idea what I'm doing. 

Yes.....exactly!

We're having snow....poured down earlier.  But it was the itty-bitty stuff that doesn't accumulate.  It's now the medium size and we've gotten only a little over an inch.  :shrug:   DH works today, Mon, Tues.  Right in the middle of it.  Hope we stay on the edge.  I'm already tired of dealing with snow.  Thru tonite and we wake up to see what it's left us.  And very....VERY cold.  :frozen:

Baked more bacon.  Love that easy method!  Just re-heat to eat.  :yum3: 

MtRider   :pc_coffee:    a Hot Chocolate Day!!

• Like 2

WE2, Sounds like you have a serious wiring problem to deal with.  Glad you found that problem before something bad happened.  I know when DH had to replace the light  in the hall about a year ago, some of the wiring was fraied. the light fixture where the bulb screws in had rusted and left a hole and the wire had fraied there. That could have been a fire issue.  So that was all replaced and fixed. 

SIL came over a little while ago and replaced the light over the kitchen sink. So now it will be easier for me to replace the light bulbs when needed. 

Went to Church this morning as we had breafast there and then the service. DH didn't sleep well last night but wanted to go. So when we got back he had lunch and then went to bed for a while. He is feeling better now that he got some rest. Still fighting the sinus infection but hoping being on the antibiotics for long term will take care of it this time. He has  gotten so weak it will take awhile to get his stength back 

So tomorrow I have to take candy to the church for our food ministry Thursday and get the canned fruit on the shelve so it will be easier to get it all packed on that day.  We have 38 plus families to give food to this time. So many that can't afford to buy food. Most do not get enough food stamps to get them through the month and from what I hear that might get cut. When I get home I have to take DH to family Doctor for follow up. Then a follow up with his heart doctor on tuesday and I will be home free to get things together for Christmas. Finally, I can stay home for a few days and not go anywhere. :hapydancsmil:

• Like 4

Heck with Walmart. It's 20 degrees out with light snow and there is nothing I need now that can't wait until tomorrow. At least it will be sunny. I'll do all my errands then. None of the bills I was going to mail will go out until tomorrow anyway. :pout:

• Like 3

We stayed put today.  Started snowing about 8am and it's been that fine stuff that looks like it's not accumulating but has sleet on top...what does that equal?  SLICK!  It's still supposed to continue throughout the night but ease off for tomorrow morning, then start back up tomorrow afternoon?  Hubby may try to get some things done at the homestead.  I'm going to have him bring me home some of the butter that I have in the refrigerator freezer there so I can jar it up.  Yes, I know, I know.  But I've done my own research and made my own decision.  I've got a couple cases of half pints already but I have about 12 pounds in the freezer that I need to get put back.  Still cooking out of our pantry and it's very relaxing...knowing that we don't need money to eat! PTL!  It's been a sweat suit day for me and hubby too.  Fixed some "chili mac" for supper and did a double batch so we'll have enough for tomorrow evening's meal also.  Had some ground turkey burger (not that I did...we bought from Mennonite store) that I used.  I dis-like the stuff so need to get it used up.  I've tried adding spices to it to make it taste more like sausage, but it's just so dry.  I think I may mix it with some hamburger or sausage to get rid of it, but it was soooo cheap when we bought it and put a lot of it in the meat freezer.

Still no info on the gunshot sounds that went on.  Nobody we know takes the newspaper and the online edition is always 2 or 3 days old.  We don't take the paper because it's HIGHLY political...and often is against our core values.

• Like 2
On 12/10/2019 at 5:21 PM, Littlesister said:

It may be just that he needs to has his throat stretched.

Does he have a Shatzki Ring? I do. I have had to have it "stretched" about 3 times over the last 20 yrs or so. I just wish the d@mn thing would BREAK and be done with it. "Twilight" sleep and "gagging" the scope down are not my favorite things to do!!! :O

On 12/11/2019 at 10:00 PM, kappydell said:

Hopefully with the meds I can put a washcloth over my eyes and pretend I am in bed in my CPAP and relax or hopefully doze for that 45 min.  Fingers crossed.   

Take your CPAP with you, and USE it! I had it with me when I had my pacemaker put in - mainly because I don't breathe well when lying flat on my back. Having it with you will help the "illusion" be more real, AND it will help you to take deep relaxing breaths. :D

On 12/13/2019 at 5:33 AM, Homesteader said:

When I visited an ailing neighbor in the nursing home, her medical staff suggested Greek yogurt for extra protein to help heal her deep wounds from an accident.  She didn't like it at first, but all the fruit seemed to make it palatable for her. Hope you like yogurt.  :hug3:

I get the boxes of flavored "Singles to Go" drink mixes (sugar free in my case) and I use 1 packet mixed into a LARGE tub of whole milk plain Greek yogurt. Yummmmmmmmm!

WYL-LT-STG-Raspberry.png

• Like 4

Yep, we are getting the dreaded white stuff now. So far it's the fine wet stuff and not sticking on the pavement. So far. Supposed to get more Tues. and Wed. Don't know how much though. I can drive in the snow. In fact I kind of like it. But in icy conditions I stay home. 4wheel drive and brakes are useless on that. Plus it's usually the other guy that gets you. 

• Sad 2

Snow is no fun if you have to go out in it. But it sure is pretty coming down.  We are suppose to be getting a north eastern storm this weekend. I missed the news tonight. Yes, I fell asleep on couch and DH woke me up to go to bed. Now I can't sleep. Go figure. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Good Morning everyone.  I hope you all don’t get snowed in.

Frost on the spa lid, 39*. Definitely winter in the desert.  :happy0203:

Harvested most of the tomatillos, 3 more pounds, at least.  Jalapeños are about done, got 1/2 pound off the bushes.  Pulled all the radishes and carrots, and separated the cabbage plants, where both seeds sprouted, and transplanted them.  God willing, we should get 10 heads of cabbage.  Oh, and that little clove of garlic, is now a foot tall!  Wow, it certainly wanted to live.  Lol

Today, I am gearing up to prep for our trip to MIL’s, plus, clean the house from top to bottom, before the customers start coming in.  So much to do.... 

• Like 4

It's supposed to get up to 76 today and was yesterday!  Then rain this afternoon and get colder.  46 for a high tomorrow.  Going to go cut some collards in a few minutes to have with our dinner today.. and tomorrow.  Doing laundry now and have a handyman coming in a while to fix DH's leaky shower head.  

Last night we (DH too) went to Church Christmas music program.  It was so nice!  I wish he would come with me more often, but he is always so tired.

Hope to stay low key today and have to go to town tomorrow after the rain and when it's cold.  

• Like 4

If they are sticking out enough to catch, you can try the Elmer's glue trick.  Dot on the glue, let it dry, peel it off.  The stickers might come out with it.  I used this often with the boys when they were little.  Dot on more and keep going.  My problem is with the stickers that break off under skin level and get infected, so that's what I was picturing.  But if you can use the glue, do try it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried Elmer's glue. Nothing is working. They are getting better though. I think they are breaking off and are being absorbed. Miserable things. Like tiny paper cuts. That was a lesson too late for the learning. Next time I'm in a hardware store I'm going ahead and get the plastic ones so I won't be tempted to use these wooden ones "just one more year." They will probably be more expensive next year anyway. Nothing ever goes down in price for me.

Except....I had an occasion to be by A.C. Moore this evening. I was in there one time and remembered they had some nice toys. Stuff from the Smithsonian and Melissa and Doug and kits etc. I was shocked. They have been there around 2 years and now already going out of business. Everything is between 20% and 40% off. I didn't get any toys but I did load up on some more tee shirts for me. They are about all I wear and at $2.00 apiece I got some to put away for the years to come.

Son told me their K-Mart just went out of business. That saddens me. It got me to thinking though. There is only one K-Mart within driving distance of me now. I checked online and according to that, its still open. I'll bet anything it won't be for long. So tomorrow I'm going to head down there and see if they are having any sales on meds before I shop Wal-Mart. Even if I don't have a gift card, they might be cheaper.

Forgot to say the reason for the A.C. Moore part was to heads you up in case they are having a sale by you, if they are by you. They mostly have craft things like Michaels.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 2

Ouch, Jeepers.  I hate splinters that I can't get out.  I live in a RUSTIC log house....I know this topic!  In desperation I slapped some duct tape over a rough section right on the front door frame.  Rough lumber on the door frame may be rustic but OW!  :tapfoot:   Duct Tape does NOT look pretty but I gave up on that a decade ago!  :0327:  Call me Redneck....tho I prefer "Expedient".  :lol:  

Well our snow total wasn't too bad.  But enough we had to pay for it's removal.  I'm a bit anxious that this guy is not shoving the snow waaaay back to keep enough room for Jan.  Feb.  March.  April....mebbe May snow?  We have to have turn-around room for my truck and the UPS truck.  DH has a spot along the stairs which is out of the way.  Well, mebbe snow guy has a big truck/blade that he'll shove it all back when needed.  :shrug:  

DH came home early last nite....not enough business for 2 servers.  He made enough tips to equal minimum wage and then came home.  Tonite and tomorrow, he's the only server. 

His orthopedic surgeon appt has been pushed back from Wednesday to  January 8.  Don't know why they needed to change it.  As long as it was changed, he wanted a day when doc would be in our small town.  On this date, we don't have to drive waaaay over to the city!  :)   And since he isn't in the extreme pain of a recently torn rotator cuff injury, I guess it doesn't matter.  Tho....identifying that lump is the real issue.  Please pray that the surgery can ALSO be scheduled at our local hospital ....not in the city.  :pray:  

DH still has primary doc appt on this Thurs...but then we might be able to pick up my mom and all go to Safeway.  We'll need a few things by then so....  Hot time on the town!!  :rolleyes: 

I'm very very tired.  A LOT of warming up vehicles.  Shoveling.  Getting snow off vehicles.  Shoveling.  Wading thru deeeep snow.  Clearing the path from road to our trash bin....X3.  Letting dog out.  Letting dog in and brushing snow off her.  Repeat as needed......

MtRider  ....remember when snow meant SLEDS  :hapydancsmil:  .....instead of SHOVELS?  <_<    

• Like 3

Wasn't snowing this morning so washed a load of clothes and went with hubby to the homestead.  The main roads were cleared but none of the side ones...including the one at the homestead.  He worked again on the basement/cellar project, putting in supports because he's widening the steps down (they are so narrow you can almost touch your shoulders to the sides, then lower down there are no sides...only a single clumsy rail.  He'll be putting in hand rails on both sides ... for our safety.  Such a project when you're dealing with a house that was built in the early 1900's and lots of the "work" was done with whatever wood they could get their hands on.  There's just so much we HAVE to do for our own safety before we move in.

While he was working and I was waiting for the dryer, I did some inventory work in the pantry.  When we got ready to leave it had started snowing again.  After a late lunch it was still snowing and we noticed the snow route out front here hadn't been cleared...so we knew the road at the homestead was only going to get worse...so "we" decided (me?) that he'd better just stay here and not take the chance of wrecking the truck or falling.  Had left-over chili mac for supper with garlic toast (home made bread always makes such good garlic toast!) and some peaches for dessert. Last time I looked it was still snowing.  It's a light grainy snow so it's not very deep.

We were planning to take step-mum to the veterans cemetery to put a wreath on my Dad's grave but saw a post from a gentleman on FB with pictures that he had taken of the cemetary where wreaths had been placed...with a light snow on the wreaths.  Absolutely beautiful!  So...since the snowing is still going on and the roads are not being cleared much we all three decided to not take the chance...it's a long drive and on a back road of a small town.  She says she's at peace with it...especially since I shared the pics with her on FB.  

I know lots of people don't like FB but when you're stuck at home for whatever reason, it's very nice to be able to stay in touch via the "private message" part as well as share photos on your profile page which you can share or not share on your timeline.  That's why I set ours up.

Also...if you ever see one of these bread cutting things...they are a life saver!  Cuts my bread in even slices and stores the bread (in it's bag) wherever I want to set it.  I usually keep it in the frig because it lasts longer (no preservatives) than store bought bread.

100_1259 Chili Mac.jpg

102_1258.JPG

102_1255.JPG

102_1256.JPG

102_1257.JPG

• Like 3

WE2, You are making me hungry. That looks good. DH wants me to make some rye bread. So I might do that tomorrow as I really don't have time today.  Have already been to the church to get things together for our food ministry on Thursday and to check on what we will still need. Though it looks like we have it together now. Just had to put some canned fruit on the shelf, and get the candy together that we always give out at Christmas to the needy. Then have to leave at 1:00 to take DH to heart doctor for a follow-up. Then no more doctors till after Christmas:hapydancsmil:

• Like 3

Oh yum. That looks like the chili I make. Mine is usually a little more red because I add ketchup. That's a neat bread slicer. I like it. I don't think I've ever seen one of those. I'll keep my eyes open for one now. You could make garlic Texas toast and freeze it or pizza bread for the freezer. Probably lots of other things I don't know about.

I'm getting ready to head out to K-Mart. Hope they are still there. I could call first but a Wal-Mart is down the road from them a couple of miles so if one is closed down, I know the other will be open. Target and Joanne Fabric is right there too. And Hobby Lobby. And Home Depot. Oh Staples, I need more address labels. I need to remember to pace myself so I can stay upright and more keel over. :0327:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I'm getting ready to head out to K-Mart. Hope they are still there. I could call first but a Wal-Mart is down the road from them a couple of miles so if one is closed down, I know the other will be open. Target and Joanne Fabric is right there too. And Hobby Lobby. And Home Depot. Oh Staples, I need more address labels. I need to remember to pace myself so I can stay upright and more keel over. :0327:

Don't buy too much.  I want plenty of leg room on the roadtrip.  

MtRider, do you see this?  She's going to try to crowd me!  

• Haha 2

DH went to heart doctor today and he is doing much better. He now only takes the fluid pills on Monday, Wed. and Friday. So we went to B.J. wholesale club and he walked slow but walked for 2 hours just looking around while I did some shopping for the things we needed for Christmas. Still need to get some veggies, grapes and apples, but to soon for those. Going to make a fruit and cheese platter and a veggie tray. 

While I was there, I spotted something That they had never sold before. Canning jars.  They were the pint small mouth but was 20 jars for  $11.00.  Those around here for that size are running around $14.00 right now. So I got 40 canning jars. :runcirclsmiley2:

Jeepers, don't buy out the k-mart. There's a lot of folks that will be piling in car for road trip with you.  Stay safe and have fun. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 12/14/2019 at 9:24 AM, Homesteader said:

Warfarin ... originally developed at the University of Wisconsin. There's a huge building just outside the UW hospital called the WARF building (Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation). I enjoy testing the new doctor residents at the hospital about the building across the way. Almost NO ONE knows that the WARF building even exists let alone the history behind the drug that saved countless lives due to its blood thinning properties.   :hug3:  We just don't tell the rodents about how powerful it is in their food.   :whistling:

Many folks under 40 do not know the history of that.  I worked security there during the early 70s (they were afraid of it being bombed like the math center was by protestors).  My husband remembers that night they bombed the math center....blast knocked him off his feet 3 blocks away & blew all the windows out.  To think, the bomber now WORKS FOR THE STATE OF WISCONSIN (!)  Who would have thought it?  History is weird.

Well the MRI went well.  Put the washcloth across my eyes BEFORE I slid under the machine and convinced myself that when they moved me it was still "open" above me.  (The valium helped  a lot.)  Now I am ready to go see my neurosurgeon in early Jan.  Hopefully it will be all systems go for surgery...will be in the hospital on my birthday (LOL) but from others who have had same surgery it is well worth the pain and long rehab.  I have found a rehab facility only 30 min away with excellent ratings and all the features I want (WIFI, cable TV, physical therapy on-site).  Marys back is so bad she won't be able to help me with the full body brace or in and out of bed.  Fortunately my insurance pays for 180 days, which should be plenty and then some.  

I am also kicking my nutritional program into high gear, eating high protein, lots of brewers yeast, yogurt, antistress vitamins, etc to be in as good health as possible when the flare goes up.  I do not expect the rehab to have bad food, just not as nutrient dense as I am using.  So I am also dehydrating my prolific greens from the garden and powdering them.  I plan to take them with me so I can stir powdered greens into hot water with some bouillon and at least get some greens that way.  I might take the nutritional yeast along, too.  I figure I can get cottage cheese & yogurt (though the hospitals do not seem to stock anything fat free or sugar free in the way of yogurt.)  Oh yes, I will have to tell then I am allergic to soy.  (They look at me like I am crazy when I explain about soy encouraging cancer recurrence...I guess the research is too new or esoteric to filter down to the nutritionists yet, sad to say.)  They understand 'allergic' a lot easier.  As far as keeping up my protein intake, well, dontcha know I just LOVE milk and cottage cheese!

i love my docs, but they miss things, so I keep doing my own research and insist on follow ups.  I just read the other day that those haloes I was seeing around lights is a major symptom of glaucoma, but both the neurologist & internist missed it....I went to the eye doc because I KNEW in my gut that something was wrong, thinking cataracts.  Surprise!  Glaucoma.  Sheesh.   I read of this type of thing happening over and over to others, too....So I "prep" to keep healthy, I guess you could say.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Guest kadell said:

Many folks under 40 do not know the history of that.  I worked security there during the early 70s (they were afraid of it being bombed like the math center was by protestors).  My husband remembers that night they bombed the math center....blast knocked him off his feet 3 blocks away & blew all the windows out.  To think, the bomber now WORKS FOR THE STATE OF WISCONSIN (!)  Who would have thought it?  History is weird.

Our BIL worked maintenance during the bombing. My DH joined during the 80's and kept the place warm and cold from the Charter Street heating station. It's now natural gas rather than coal. The coal-fired boilers burned super clean due to the scrubbers in the chimney. Natural gas prices will kill them. Can't talk sense to over-educated idiots.   :0327:

• Like 2

Hubby worked at the homestead...goodie, goodie!  I got some things done around here.  Made another loaf of bread, made up some lemon gelatin (we buy the Mennonite bags so we get a lot for our dollars), started some Mung beans for sprouting (staying away from lettuce recalls!), made another batch of granola and just finished a load of laundry to take to the homestead in the morning.  Didn't get my yogurt made but I can do that tomorrow after I get home...then...I'm gorilla jarring some half pints of butter.  As I've said before, I've done my research and have two cases of butter put back...I try to do at lease a case a year.  I only use the commercial butter since it's already pasturized etc.  I wouldn't do it with raw cow's milk.  

We've still got quite a bit of snow on the ground.  It's been cold and cloudy so no sun to melt anything off.

Still haven't heard a thing about the boom booms...guess the news people didn't find it worthy of printing or reporting.  Lots of people being arrested for drugs, driving intoxicated, driving w/o licenses, stealing from stores and stealing vehicles.  Lots of stuff for a small city. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, kappydell said:

Marys back is so bad

Sheeeesh!  My hat's off to you two ladies!  You do so much with your health issues.  I admire your gumption to research and eat in preparation and rehabilitation of your various health issues. Only way to go these days.  :thumbs:    { "allergic"  has finally become a believable word....go with it!} 

Last day of DH working late for this week.  He said the restaurant was more busy - the snow stopped.  My dear old truck has to warm up for nearly 20 minutes to run right.....makes me want to just walk down to do ducks.  But coming back up that steeeeepness is daunting.  I get double mileage points for walking steepness, right?  Just no guarantee I will make it....USUALLY I would but....  :unsure: 

I'm tired.  Been letting the dog outside On Demand X4.  Always afraid she'll upchuck ....."and then won't you be sorry you didn't listen to me, Mom?"  I think she's having a tryst with some wild critter.....antagonistic tryst.  Barkbarkbarkbarkbark.....   It's her job.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 4