MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Dinner at Church was great.  We all had a wonderful time.  Glad things are starting to get back to normal with Church again.  Been a long time coming.  Yes, we had been looking for a new pastor for a long, long while and now that we have one, things are starting to get back to a normal state at church.  We have had interim pastors ever since our last pastor got transferred with the military. He is a military pastor. He was with us for 5 years before getting transferred. That left us with interim pastors for the past several years. They were all great but were only temporary. 

Cleaned the kitchen early this morning and then swept the floors. GS brings in a lot of dust on his shoes from the warehouse. I keep trying to get him to take his boots off in the garage but that is a losing battle. 

Going to start pulling the dust out of the furniture and other things using the space bags. I really hope that works well.  I just need to figure out how to get it all from the box springs on the bottom. I think it must be loaded in them as under the beds is a losing battle dusting under beds. Those were brand-new mattresses on both beds. GS helped me to set them up and vacuum them after the construction was done and we were putting furniture back in place. I am thinking about removing that black cloth and replacing it with sheets. I have a staple gun and it's not hard to do. But thinking even though I vacuumed that cloth down, the sawdust is still up in there. Removing the cloth will help me to clean up under that better.  

Anarchy I am so glad you and your MIL made it home safe. That was a scary trip for sure.  

My DD is a rehabber.  She had several baby opossums she was bottle feeding and had them in a cage set up for opossums out in the backyard. The cages were double-wired and very sturdy or so she thought. Seems something tore through the thick wire and shook the opossum by the neck. Most were killed and one she had to put down. There is still one that stays in the house that is now fully grown and she swears it has PSTD.  It has the run of the house at night and is potty trained. She keeps a puppy pad on the floor in the bathroom and he goes in there every time to potty. They are very clean which I didn't know about them. This one is scared to go outside and will crawl up in your lap and go to sleep. So now I am GMom to an opossum. Who would have thought?  So now she has a squirrel that is a non-release and an opossum. The squirrel stays in a cage. She cannot grab hold of anything as whatever happened to it messed up its paws and such and it cannot climb trees and such. Though she is still working on it. That cage stays in the house as well. 

• Like 4

Police just called concerning the robbery of my coins and jewelry. No leads yet but they are staying vigilant with the pawn shops. She asked me if I could access Face Book Market Place. I don't have Face Book but I saw where anyone can look there. I've been scouring it all day. I can ID things that they can't since they have never seen the pieces. But if I could just positively identify one piece it could lead to the other things. I'm doing the Cleveland area now and will do the Akron area later, since that is where a lot of those guys were based. So much jewelry on there! I told her that I don't expect to get anything back but I would like to know who did it. She agreed. Anyway, that is a handy tip if you ever have anything stolen. Check Face Book Market Place in your area. I never thought of it.

Dr office called too. They want another sample. Will go tomorrow because as of right now I have nothing to give. :D

• Like 6

Got back from my exercise class with small-scale bad news.  The instructor is leaving the country in May, so my time with him is limited.  I'll take advantage of the weeks I have, though.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Jeepers, good suggestion.  
Ambergris, too bad your instructor doesn’t have a video or two. Not the same as working direct but maybe helpful. 

• Like 4

Too busy today…

Mowed, edged & blew off the back yard & porch, re-adjusted the porch swing, because the legs had fallen off the bricks. Mowed the front but couldn’t edge, because the neighbors are having central cooling & heating installed.

Called the city, because the dumpster truck broke our roll off badly… rolloffs are on back order.

Called the AC people…explained, the brand new unit has had over 7 service calls, leaking in the house, flooding the porch, they cut a hole in my ceiling to create a new intake, but I had to finish the crap they left.  DH had called while I was in TX, because it wasn’t heating…at all. Set at 75, the house was 65 blowing cold air.  Yesterday morning we woke up because it wasn’t heating again!  Our warranty says…2 year replacement….  I was not too kind.  We’ve had them out, 7- 8 times, leaks, water pouring from the unit, leaking - flooding into our house!  I thought it was the roofers, they came out and said, absolutely not.  The AC ppl never sealed it.  Plus it is leaking inside the unit!

So, I pulled our original paperwork and told them, they either fix it or replace it, we are still within warranty. If it doesn’t work this time, I’m getting a lawyer.  They should be here tomorrow…”free of charges”.  DH said they were sending a proposal for the repairs for it…I got it this morning …. $2,500!  I freaked out!  No way!  Not with a service warranty etc!  They heard me rant & rave……

Washed laundry, because it’s supposed to rain. Folded & put away.

Cut & put up (vacuum sealed) meat I got in TX. 10 lbs of 90% lean hmb…1 lb pkgs, @ $2.50/lb.  New York steaks, made 12 packages, avg. $2 for 2 ppl.  Rib eye was the most expensive.  Made 11 packages, 2 each package, at an average $12/package of 2…. Our local stores, $20/one steak. 

Then, BBQ’d some pork loin for dinner, a salad & beef rice-a-roni…

Then turned on the News for MIL…. I am bushed…

God willing, I will have time tomorrow to catch up on reading all the posts I’ve missed.  

:pray: For everyone… God knows….

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

Ambergris, I’ve been doing some qigong (chi gung) lately.  Some of it is possible in the wheelchair. 

• Like 4

Wow Annarchy. Be sure to try to pace yourself. You need TLC too! 

I really wish I could find meat at those prices. But if I can't, I'm glad you could. Ya dun gud gurl.  

I can never catch up after I've been away for even a few days. Eventually I just have to move forward and hope no one thinks I'm ignoring them. We will understand for you too. Don't stress yourself. We get it.

BTW I had Rice-A-Roni tonight too. Chicken flavor and the instant kind but still...Oh and a can of corn. I went with a yellow themed repast for my dining pleasure. Tomorrow something in a heavy piquant tomato-y sauce. I'm thinking Chef Boyardee. Probably Beefaroni. Wednesday will be Chinese. AKA a bowl of Ramen noodles. I has a plan. It's a hard knock life over here.   :24: 

I know Euphrasyne is clutching her pearls right about now. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Jeepers you are so funny sometimes. Well, most of the time. I love it. 

Annarchy, take some time to rest up. And yes, I do wish I could find meat that cheap. You got some great prices for what meat costs now.  The steak here is very expensive now as well as a roast. Well over the $20 price range. 

Don't worry about catching up on reading here. I am still finding things I missed when I am not on here for a few days.

Been on phone talking with a friend for 4 hours. that's not like either of us to stay on the phone that long. But we were having a good time.

I hope your MIL is settling in well now.  And I hope they get that heating unit fixed. They should be fixing it for free since it is under warranty. 

• Like 5

I have HUGE NEWS!!!!!! 

''''

'''''''''

''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''

NOTHING unusual, painful, drastically odd, weird, or challenging happened here today.   :blink:  

MtRider   ....wow!  I don't know how to act!  :coffeescreen:

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

((((Annarchy)))) Yikes! So glad you are ok. And praying the AC unit gets fixed under the warranty and you don't need to involve a lawyer. What a mess.

Mt Rider Yay you deserve a day that is uneventful! :hug3:

I got a big work project done today so the rest of the week will be much more pleasant. Even got some quilting done so I am feeling relaxed for once.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Heh!  I have cans of Ravioli and SpaghettiOs here as well as lots of ramen.  I have teens and we eat redneck at least once a week.  

If you are sick of microwave, here are some alternatives:

1.  Cold food like sandwiches and salad

2.  Your coffeepot is basically a see through crock pot.   Wrap a towel around it, put some water in it, turn it on and poach chicken, fish, or whatever.  You may need to run the cycle a few times if it doesn't stay on to 'warm'.   If you don't want to poach it in water, then make a casserole with lots of sauce.   Cream soup, canned chicken, veggies, seasoning do well in a coffee pot.  I've done this on vacation.

3.  Your iron is a grill.   Do not leave it unattended ever.   Turn it on, balance it hot side up in something metal where it will not move--like a pot or a metal drying rack or something metal.   Place a skillet on top of it.   Ta-da.  Cook whatever you want in the skillet.  You can even dutch oven bread this way but it uses a lot of electricity and you have to watch it the entire time because of fire hazard.  

4.  Buy a hot plate.  Its temporary so it doesn't need to be fancy or long term.   Amazon says I can get a cheap one by Thursday for $16.99.  You can make anything on this and a deep cast iron pot (dutch oven) really does act as an 'oven' to bake things.  Use camping recipes if going that route.  Vayepro Electric hot plate, Single Coil Burner, Portable Hot Plate 1200W, Kitchen Cooktop with Non-Slip Rubber Feet - Perfect for Outdoor Cooking (amazon.com)

If you want specific cooking or food category recipes you can make in a hotel room, let me know.

The most delicious shelf ramen ever:

Take 1 ramen cup, add the packets and water ( I usually use spicey or kimchi flavor ramen).  Add in a tablespoon dehydrated mixed veggie soup or veggies--whatever you have.   Microwave 3 minutes.  Cut up 2 hot pickled okra and add to the cup.  Roll up 3 slices thinly sliced lunchmeat and use scissors to cut strips.  Add to cup.  Let sit 3 minutes.  Yum.   Very spicey but delicious.  Sometimes I omit the dehydrated veggies and add some fermented kimchi with or instead of the okra.  Texas Pete or Mt. Olive are my go-to brands.  Mostly because that is all I can buy in this unspiced Yankee-ridden place.   

All in love.  I irritate the stew out of DH by calling him a Yankee.  I'm not an (expletive) Yankee!   he screams back. Then he tells me I wont like how hot it gets in Florida.  A)  I've been to FL, I've been to TX, NV and CA and all the states between MS and CA by car in summer multiple times, so I know how hot it gets.  and B ) I'm from MS for decades.  98F with 120% humidity--it doesn't get hotter.   Anyone who thinks the humidity cannot go over 100% has never been to Mississippi.  Also the 4 seasons there are Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas.   My roses used to still bloom in December.  I'm over here freezing on the East Coast.  My only issues here are the lack of food seasoning and the cold weather, otherwise I love VA and we will be here at a bare minimum until DH retires from the Department of the Navy.  

DH is amazing at his job and they hand out awards when they go 'above and beyond.'  He got a $1K (6 to 10X the usual award) award yesterday and came home telling me he bought himself a happy that was around $160.  We usually talk about purchases over $100, and he was worried I'd be upset.  I was not.  He is such a sweetie.  :hug3:  I am so proud of him.  

• Like 7

Am washing rugs and dog blankets this morning.
Will walk, next.
Do ebay photos.
Walk dogs.
Purge kitchen cabinet that I didn't get to, yesterday.

41 minutes ago, euphrasyne said:

Anyone who thinks the humidity cannot go over 100% has never been to Mississippi.

Or FL.  Haha  I still think FL is higher, especially on the Gulf coast.

@Mt_Rider, don't move, turn around or think!  LOL

@Annarchy, I hope you don't have to involve a lawyer!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

MS is on the Gulf coast also.  hehe.  I've been to FL to visit relatives during various seasons, and I'd take a FL summer over a MS summer any day.  I'd take either of them over VA because I'm freezing my tukus off.  

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

I'm in Central MS.  At least in FL I could go to the beach!

:wub:  :wave:

I was born and raised in Pearl for over 20  years.  I lived in South Jackson for a bit and Vicksburg for a decade.  My immediate family is still clustered in Pearl/Brandon and Vicksburg.  I think my uncle is in Brookhaven.   Ironically we live about 20/30 minutes from the beach here and never go because we hate the beach.  :lol:

• Like 2

I lived in Florida and I lived in Texas. Texas all through a difficult pregnancy. I thought I would die down there. Every other utterance from our mouth was, "It's hotterun h3ll down here! I'm gonna die!" I even passed out at the commissary at 9 months pregnant. Poor D-H had to carry my fat unresponsive carcass out to the car. I was a HOT mess. I don't know how the gulf coast people do it. Whoa, the flashbacks are real. 

The only difference from a Yankee and a d*mn Yankee is a Yankee stays up north. A d*mn Yankee moves down south and tries to pass as a southerner. So, he might actually end up being a D*mn Yankee.  :008Laughing:

Congrats Mr. Euphrasyne on your stellar job performances! it's always nice to get recognized for hard work. Way To Go!  :bouquet:

Thanks for the tips on food. I want nothing more than a big gooey slice of pizza. But since my tastebuds turned against me, nothing tastes good. Food for me is a waste of money most times. I'm still trying to find something I can eat. I eat once a day just to maintain. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

If you are sick of microwave, here are some alternatives:

1.  Cold food like sandwiches and salad

2.  Your coffeepot is basically a see through crock pot.   Wrap a towel around it, put some water in it, turn it on and poach chicken, fish, or whatever.  You may need to run the cycle a few times if it doesn't stay on to 'warm'.   If you don't want to poach it in water, then make a casserole with lots of sauce.   Cream soup, canned chicken, veggies, seasoning do well in a coffee pot.  I've done this on vacation.

3.  Your iron is a grill.   Do not leave it unattended ever.   Turn it on, balance it hot side up in something metal where it will not move--like a pot or a metal drying rack or something metal.   Place a skillet on top of it.

:blink:   WOW, Euphrasyne!  You definitely get the :darlenequeen: OF IMPROVISATION  for the week!  I'm totally impressed!   I like your detailed instructions on SAFETY when "going creatively over the wall". 

MtRider  :feedme:    .....my adaption leans more to ----> :campfire:  

• Like 3

Yes, congratulations to Mr. Euphrasyne. Great job.  

Never heard of using an iron or a coffee pot for cooking. But if it works it's another option if needed. 

Euphrasyne you are really good at coming up with so many ideas for cooking. I love the ideas. 

I flew to Florida several years ago to visit my sister.  Yes, it was hot and the mosquitos would cart you off. I have been to Florida a few times but not a place I would want to live. 

Washed clothes, and watched some of the news. Thought it would be a good idea to hear what is going on in the world. Nothing ever changes for the most part.  GS is sick again.  This time he thinks he has strep throat. Such drama. At least he went to work. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If I were to head out for some emergency long-term stay.....and it had electricity....  I've thot I would bring the rice cooker [soups work in that], and the Instant Pot.  DH would probably bring the tiny air fryer and of course his coffee maker.  We could bring the grain grinder/slicer/dice/shred mill.  If it were to be a long stay [not hotel] I have a long-not-used electric roaster. 

My mind is on the new series:  What will you do if....   Got lots of small and large challenges.  McGuyver type.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Didn't do much today.  Arm/shoulder hurt last nite til I finally had to take the muscle relaxant but it puts me to sleep.  Can't take during the day but once I adjusted pillows so that area isn't strained....I slept til morning!  :amen:

MtRider  ....gotta go call Mom.  She what she's been up to..? 

• Like 2