MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

19 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

MS is on the Gulf coast also.  hehe.  I've been to FL to visit relatives during various seasons, and I'd take a FL summer over a MS summer any day.  I'd take either of them over VA because I'm freezing my tukus off.  

Been there (MS and FL).  Agree.

• Like 3

Downloaded tax program at 7:30 a.m.  Found out after a good bit of digging that when I transferred tax records from older computer to this one, I did not include 2021.  Ran into some snags, including warnings that I couldn't complete a certain form until final instructions came in from the feds.  Finally found the error I'd made that got that form included, but correcting the error didn't remove the form or the warning.  Went online to find ways to delete form.  Tried them.  Swore some.  Ended up deleting my progress so far (down to the Review stage) and started over from scratch.  Got as far as trying to file a bit after 11 p.m. but could not find my driver's license.  I will deal with that today.

I had to charge my phone and use it, hang the cost, and found a batch of upset voice mails from my mother and some texts from my brother (they share a house) telling me to contact her.  She's been text messaging the house phone, which does not accept texts.  The email she gave me is not functioning or is misspelled, or something.

Got a little too much excitement around here too, but it all worked out well.

If my scale is correct, my weight is seven/eight pounds up from when the doctor told me to lose a third of my body weight, but I was sick (dehydrated) when I saw him.  I'm still down 15 pounds from mid-February and am stabilized.  Also, I think the doctor's scale runs a few pounds light of mine.  So maybe his scale would only show half that many pounds up.  Regardless, and regardless of my eye-rolling at his timeline for the weight loss project, I do want to lose more weight.

• Like 6

Up early this morning. The weather is really nice today. Right now they say 58* but feels much warmer. I turned off the furnace and opened the windows. When GS gets up I will open his. I heard his alarm a bit ago so he should be getting up soon. Going to go outside in a bit to work on flower beds. I had started on them but didn't finish them yet. So hoping to get that finished today. Next week I hope to be able to start tilling the bigger garden section. I am about ready to start planting. But not sure of frost yet. Still a bit early though. But getting close. My DD gave me the idea to take large flower pots and bury them halfway into the ground. Then plant the herbs that spread all over the ground to keep them under control. I t think I had seen that on  Pinterest before. Will check that out tonight. I have some huge pots so might just work. My pineapple mint is all over the place. So that is one of the things in the flower bed that needs to be worked on. Need to trim out my rosemary bush also. It has gotten big. I have one section in a flower bed in the front yard I use for herbs. Just needs thinning out and cleaning up again. 

• Like 2

Littlesister, the mint family has been the bane of my existence. When I moved to Ohio the people before me (35 years ago!) had planted Lemon Balm beside the house. Very pretty and smelled lovely. I cut it back nearly to the ground a couple of times a year and it always came back. Very long story short is, it became so invasive. Out of control. The problem became evident when it started popping up all over the yard. Worse yet is it started heading toward the neighbors yard. I found out that the roots (runners) spread out underground and over time they pop up. What a mess I had. I tried EVERYTHING in my power to get rid of that stuff. Pulling it, boiling water, salt, Preen and even Roundup. Yes, I poured Roundup on it. I couldn't kill it. I had to do something because it was headed toward the neighbors yard. 

I finally had to call a lawn care company to address the issue. The first one didn't solve the problem. The second one, ChemLawn/TruGreen is able to keep it under control but not kill it. This was about 15 years ago and to this day I still have to use them. They come out 4 times a year. And I still see an occasional cluster of leaves pop up every so often. After 15 years of paying the company.  All of those roots are underground. Waiting.

This balm is planted in a bed between the brick wall of the house and a sidewalk. It never even touched the lawn area. So if your pots have a drainage hole at the bottom where the roots can come out, be careful. It might take a few years, but you could end up with a me$$ down the road. 

The next mint family I plant will be in a pot on the deck. 

Added Picture:

I was at the house today and snapped this picture. I misspoke though. The plants are next to the siding on the house. The brick is the chimney. This is one of the plants that has wintered over from 35+ years ago after I did everything I could think of to kill it. I didn't cut it back last fall as I probably forgot about it. This is one seasons growth. There is another bigger bed of it on the other side of the chimney.  It starts out green then turns yellow with pretty lavender flowers and smells great. And attracts the bees. I just wanted so say something nice about it. 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Ambergris, no it did not bloom. It dies down in the winter months and comes back up from the underground roots. I guess if I hadn't picked so much of it, there would have been a chance for it to bloom. I give away a lot of the mint to neighbors that like to use it in tea.  

Jeepers I had the regular mint that took off everywhere. I have since gotten rid of all that. Tilled it up and got the roots out. I just planted this last year but am going to dig it out and put it in the pot. Don't want it going all over the yard. But this one seems to grow differently than the regular mint.

GS went to work but was all drama. Can't breathe, stuffed up, ear hurts, couldn't sleep, and on and on. May they lock him in the warehouse and throw away the key. For a 21-year-old he sure is a big baby when he doesn't feel good. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yikes, after having the unit people out yesterday, it wasn’t heating this morning.  They were back again today… found several issues… got the heat working, but have to come back…. I’m so very tired of the issues!

Made white bean & hambone soup, with Mexican cornbread….tired, sore from doing too much... :sigh:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Hope it gets fixed once and for all! 

You really need to rest and take a day off for doing nothing. You know how they say on airplanes to put your oxygen mask on first so you can be able to help others? I think it's time for you to get that mask on.

Probably better meant than said.  :hug3:

• Like 4

Thanks for the ideas on creative cooking. I am now inspired to bring my Instapot when I go to visit my daughter and stay in the motel in a few months. I was already planning on bringing my coffemaker and microwave (we are staying in a motel 6 so no frills) and this will mean I can cook dinner (heat chili, make chicken, etc) if we go to the grocery store it will be cheaper than eating out as much. My goal is to keep a cooler with basic stuff and then go to the store every few days to stock back up. 

• Like 4

Yanno....the last thing I recorded is that nothing happened.....   :buttercup:     KNEW  that couldn't last. 

I was able to go to a brunch with the ladies from the Women's Bible study this morning.  Grand Finale before we start another one in April. 

It was very nice to get out.  Met L at a location close to me with my truck.  Then rode with her thru an area not that far away but ...what a maze of gravel roads.  I was so fatigued and had hand tremors when we got there.  I barely said anything at first....tooo  :0327:  No....didn't fall over but whooa!  Then was able to talk and eat and enjoy the 4 ladies around me.  But actually had to lay the seat back while L drove me back to my truck tho.  FATIGUE!!!

:grinning-smiley-044:

By the time I'd been home....laying on bed reading Kindle for a few hours, I finally realized:  I'm SICK!   :scratchhead:   Wait...I don't get sick.  We take stuff.  Then if we feel 'off', we take more stuff.  [DH knows his "stuff"!! ]   DRAT!!! 

Mild headache, chilled :frozen: and can't get warm, then instantly TOO WARM.... stiff neck, lots of Kleenex, usual sinus cough is WORSE, huge fatigue, .... :fever:   Immediately began taking our "stuff" !  And drinking fluids - including Gatorade.  

Rats!  I emailed 2 of the ladies around me to warn them. Two of them are older than me by a decade or more. :pray:   Pray none of them gets the germs from me!!!!!!! 

So far, it's just "a cold" .... I hope.  If anything gets beyond that, I go into bronchitis.  :tapfoot:   It hasn't been a decade since the last time.....which has been my normal pattern.  IF it starts into bronchitis, I'm not going to dally about getting in to doc for meds.....like I usually do.  :busted:    Really!  I'll go in......  :engel-smilies-10-1:

MtRider  :offtobed:  

• Sad 4

I pray that it is just a cold and no bronchitis, @Mt_Rider!  You and your dh don't need anything extra to deal with!

Yesterday, walked first.
Took friend to town with me to Aldi and Walmart. I kind of did my month ending shop. Not completely, but I am a little uneasy.
Washed rugs and dog blankets.

Today, will walk in a few minutes.
Start crockpot of deer sausage, cabbage and potatoes.
Take friend to vet with her cat. Has to have him put down. Sad, but the cat is suffering.
Come home and walk dogs.
Take ebay photos.
Bible study tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mt. Rider I do hope this is just a cold and not bronchitis. You don't need anything taking you back when you are trying hard to stay well.  :pray:

Miki, sorry to hear about your friend's cat. But he is no longer suffering. He's in kitty heaven having a good old time.

I almost managed to sleep through the night last night. Woke up coughing only 3 times and was able to get back to sleep. The cough alone is so deep it wears me out.  Going to work a little on house today, wash sheets, and do some dusting then see how my energy holds out.  It has been years since I have even had a cold so this has really hit me hard. Somewhere I must have let my guard down and got strep. It is the newer version my daughter keeps telling me about but I can't find anything on it to see what the difference is. All I know is I have it and it needs to go away. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Well, I happened. GS got fired. So no job and I need to get him out of this house soon. I can't do this anymore. He just plays video games. So instead of looking for another job he is playing games.  Never paid the car off either and he's not getting the rent money and yes he will ask for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

So no job and I need to get him out of this house soon

I’m so sorry you are going through this with your GS.  You are too sick, because of him no less, to take any more. :hug3:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

(((((Littlesister)))))

Long day here.  Rainy this morning.  My little brother came to visit, because his semi load had him in Yuma yesterday, heading back to MI.  His truck trailer broke, waited all day for the repair.  Pups played a few minutes before they all got spazed…racing, barking, stealing each other’s toys…  Sarge is a 2 year old GSD, young and extremely excitable.  

I made beef, potato & green chili burritos….  Everyone had enough, including my brother and still ended up freezing 6.  :amen:

• Like 7
On 3/18/2023 at 7:00 PM, Mt_Rider said:

SORE BODY CLUB

Seems it's going around?  I tripped over the leg of our Inversion Table (trying to climb around it...dummm) and went right hip hard to the floor, then face first/right side to the hardwood floor.  Hubby came running, scooped me up and then I grabbed a package of shredded cheese from the freezer, put it on my eye and cheek bone...and hubby brought be a mega dose of Aleve...and sat in my recliner to settle down.  Other than being sore and bruised I am fine.  No broken bones Praise The Lord!

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

Laser surgery on right eye went very well.  Had to use the drops like I had to for the left eye, and Wednesday was the last day for that.  I go tomorrow for my follow up.  I am seeing great!  They call these "recurring cataracts" and said it happens to about 30% of cataract surgeries.  Aint it nice ta know you're in the 30%?  Anyway...I am 20/23 on the left and probably 20/20 in the right. 

• Like 10

It doesn't matter how you raise them, people will do what they want to do and sometimes they need to face consequences so they can be responsible.  It is good for them in the long run.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

I am going to be talking with GS when he decided to get out of bed. I am telling him to pack it up and be out of house by Monday morning.

I hope Virginia is more helpful/supportive to "landlords" than Calif is! In this state, if someone stays in your house for more than 30 days they are considered a "tenant" and they can cause all kinds of havoc if they don't want to leave; including you having to legally evict them! And that can take up to 90 days!

:blush: :sigh: :angry:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

§ 55.1-1200. Definitions

"Tenant" means a person entitled only under the terms of a rental agreement to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of others and includes a roomer. "Tenant" does not include (i) an authorized occupant, (ii) a guest or invitee, or (iii) any person who guarantees or cosigns the payment of the financial obligations of a rental agreement but has no right to occupy a dwelling unit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

WE2....glad to see you checking in!!  Yes, the laser eye surgery has greatly helped folks.  It seems miraculous when it works well.  :amen:   Your fall could have been so much worse but :amen:  it was not.  Yeah...I'll just bet MrWE2 came flying in to see what happened when you fell.  :(   You've got a good one there!  Glad you were not injured worse.  

Prayers for Little Sister and her GrS!   Praying for her to feel better physically, tho her heart is hurting for this young man who isn't proving up to being responsible....  There is always hope  :pray:  But not at her house. 

We've had a bit of an emergency...or potential one that so far hasn't affected  us personally.  So I did a whole lot of physical stuff which needed to get done but I'll be feeling it today...tomorrow......    We're windy and chilly right now.  Not going outside.   Bronchitis is better. 

Mom finally got to tour the huge building at the National Cathedral in D.C. that Bro has been in charge of renovating for the past 2 ? years.  Wow....impressive.  Not the cathedral itself but a different building of that era.  I don't think Bro took enough pics to satisfy my curiosity!   :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 6

We2, Good to see you!  Sorry you had a tumble but glad you are okay. That is wonderful news about your eye surgery. There are many great things modern 'medicine' can offer, along with the bad. I was amazed when I had laser eye surgery. It really was like a miracle. 

Euphrasyne, I agree with you. There are so many bad parents out there now and society is a bad influence too. But many parents do all of the right things and still their children follow the wrong path. Sometimes the parents are to blame for their children's behavior but sometimes they aren't. Everyone has choices to make and that individual is responsible for them. 

Mt. Rider, good to hear your mother is doing so well back east. She seems to be flourishing there. Maybe the move from such high altitude is really benefiting her too.

Mother and all of our Midwestern's, stay safe from the weather the next couple of days. It could be bumpy. I'm a little concerned with Indiana now and heading toward Ohio. Tis the season.  :pray:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2