MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Thank you Euphrosyne. I'm calling the doctor again in morning. That cough will keep you awake nights and makes it hard to eat without coughing. Not to mention just plain tires you out. 

Miki, I tried the pineapple juice and it did help for a little while but then started back up again. But it did give me some relieve for a little while. But I need to go buy more juice tomorrow. 

Got the garden tilled and now just need to clean it up and then tomorrow I will till it again and even it out.  I have gone through all the garden things in shed and I have plenty of bone meal, and such but still need top soil, garden soil and some other things that I am making a list of for next week's shopping trip. 

Was going to get GS to help me but he was on line taking test for two job opportunities. I just hope something pans out for him soon. He can help me tomorrow.  

• Like 3

Yesterday was busy  :dusting:   etc.  So today I rested mostly.  DH is making bran muffins.  Have any of you used the silicone bakeware?  He's using some I picked up for the muffins and they work well.  Store easy.  I think he does spray them so the muffins release.   :cook:  

Got more boxes thrown away or split to keep.  More left..... forever....  :sigh:   But pleased to look at the organized corner.  Still no electric in the living room half of house.  :shrug:   At least we have kitchen!!  

MtRider   .....CO fire season has started.  Blips of news from all over the state.  We didn't get enough snow.  :pray: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Mt. Rider praying you won't have any issues with wildfires. I think we all have enough to worry about without having to deal with fires, tornadoes, hurricanes and such.  We all have enough on our plate just trying to keep cost down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ambergris I've watched her channel before she has some good tips. 

Mt Rider prayers that there are no fires 

Littlesister hope you start feeling better soon. :hug3:

Today was all about wrapping up the never ending work project but we got what we needed done. At home I started hardening off some of my seedlings. Need to make more room under the grow lights and get the plants I have started in the ground soon. Baby chicks are growing and doing well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Only thing about the silicone is the white coating they grow after a while.  It seems harmless, but unsightly.  I like it, and left a deep drawer full of various kinds back in Florida.  I suggest keeping a baking sheet under it to control the flopping.  The baking sheet usually stays clean, and when it doesn't, it saves you a harder clean-up.

I never used any kind of release spray on mine.

• Like 2

I'm off to the dentist first thing this morning to get half of my teeth deep cleaned. Certainly, not my favorite thing but part of my shtf preps. Will be glad to get it all done.
Drop off car to mechanic as he didn't want it yesterday- too busy.
Get home and walk.
Walk dogs.
Look for some documents that I put in a safe place. Hah!

• Like 4

I had my teeth deep cleaned a week ago.  Not fun, but not as bad as getting a filling without anesthesia.  Some kinds don't work on me, so I know.

Today in town, I got a small bag of a new kind of cat food to see if the cats would eat it before investing in a big bag.  Investing, yeah.  The small one, roughly five pounds, was thirty bucks.  Cat food that is not utter garbage costs more than human food here.  I would get the cheaper ground meat the butcher sells for pets, but my old cat won't eat raw ground meat.  (The little cat eats raw meat very well.)  Also, I'm afraid I'd eat it by mistake, and I don't know what made the butcher set it aside as "for pets." 

I was supposed to have a PM video chat with a friend last night, and I forgot.  Ugh.

• Like 3

I use a lot of silicone molds.  I always grease them before baking --especially if there is any sort of pattern or shape.   If I'm freezing ice cream or ice whatever I don't grease.  Making chocolate shapes, I use melted butter. Glycerin soap, I spray the mold with alcohol and then the top of the soap to prevent bubbles.   The larger Bundt cake pans made of silicone require a lot of grease in the crevices.  I always use Crisco and a paper towel for that.  

If you let the items cool to room temperature before removing from the mold, you will end up with a much more aesthetic product.  I always use a baking sheet under them also.  

I have some silicone cupcake liners that have all the lines like the paper ones do. Terrible purchase!   I no longer even try to bake with them, no amount of grease will get a release.  They do ok for freezing things if well greased.  I mostly use them to separate out items in lunches or let the toddler use them in her play kitchen.  The only pics I found were old with bunny cookies, but I often use them for fruit or pudding or something DH needs to pull out of the container before he microwaves it.  That way I can mix hot and cold in the same container and he can easily set it to the side when heating.  Also works well to hold the nuts & croutons in a Tupperware lunch salad.  That way they stay nice and crisp when he goes to eat it.  

On that note, DD2's play kitchen is stocked with a lot of dollar store kitchen gadgets.   Silicon spatula, spoons, measuring cups, so much cheap plastic that looks like mine.  She loves it.  

image.thumb.jpeg.7c21d241fa291245e65dacda4b63ec69.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4d7db06563b6b1e4acea76e41bc749d5.jpeg

• Like 4

:sigh:   Next in the saga of no electric in living room and 2 outlets in bedroom.  Kitchen- bathroom- larger bedroom are fine. 

So our property managers B & J  returned to our high altitude from visiting a low land state.  B probably has c0v!d again.  He was terrribly sick for a long time when he had it before.  Tested today and we'll see.  But he's got something.  Also, he isn't adapting back to low O2 levels up here yet and needs supplemental oxygen constantly right now.  HOpefully he'll adapt back when his body makes the extra red blood cells that is our survival up here. 

J had a terrible fall on the way back here.  Caught her foot on an uneven sidewalk and bashed her head/eye on cement.  Also her hands...maybe a broken finger?  :pray:   Good grief!   So even if the breaker box just needs a new breaker for our missing living room electricity, we have to see if they'd expose us to the C.  I'm at low ebb for health right now...tho I've not had C at all; even when DH had it.  So we're all just going to wait a bit longer.  It's not really a hardship...we're adaptable.  We'd rather have them do the thing right than call an unknown electrician. 

Hey, we've got water/heat and lights in most of the house.  :shrug:  We're good.  Paradise, when you think about it.  But pray for those two....how ridiculously awful!

I'm still not feeling .....completely right.  Not too bad.  Not real good.  Bearable but .... I'd like to continue sorting/clearing clutter/ORGANIZING!  :woohoo: 

Um, not so much.  :faint3: 

MtRider   .... :offtobed:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

I will pray for your homeowner friends, @Mt_Rider.  Sounds like a rough vacation or visit!

Good morning!
Already walked.
Cleaned bathrooms.
Dusted house.
Still have to take ebay photos.
I think I will try something I haven't done for awhile. Making salt rising bread. First, I make a starter and then a sponge and then the bread. I think it is a two day ordeal, but my grandma used to make it and I loved it. Will update as I go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DH's RDO (regular day off) so I got to sleep in and he got up with the baby.   :wub:

Paid bills :pc_coffee:

cleaned my office because it had become a black hole of stuff that went elsewhere :STAIRS:

did some laundry :clothesline:

fed the baby...who really isn't a baby anymore.  :cook: :sad-smiley-012:

finally redeemed a $50 gift card to amazon from mistplay and it worked.   Yea!  i got paid to play video games and waste time.  :hapydancsmil:

Now I'm reconciling the pantry list and trying to decide if I'm going to buy mason jars or craft supplies from amazon.  :shopping:

• Like 6

Mt. Rider, I pray your landlord don't have covid and that everything with that fall for heals fast.  And I hope you can get the electric figured out and fixed as soon as they are well and back on their feet. 

Euphrosyne, Glad you got to sleep in late at least one day. I know that felt good.  And yes the baby isn't a baby anymore. River is growing up to fast. 

Yesterday I had some errands to run so didn't get back in time to work on garden.  Today we had rain and they say rain tomorrow but if not I will be working on garden.  Went to hardware store yesterday to get some tie downs for the green house. I don't want the wind to take it sailing again with all my seedlings in there. So making it more permanent. those small ones will blow away fast if not tied down.  Going to move what's left of the wood pile and make room for 2 or 3 cords for next year. Now that I have done the trial run to see how it will do. Next winter I will try not turning on furnace at all and heat with the wood stove only. Just need a better place to stack it. 

This morning I had to go have the MRI for the pituitary tumor. So that's out of the way but don't know when I will get the results.  Then left there and went to Lidl's.  They have moved a lot of things around and much less food now. Not a good sign. And I have also started noticing they have signs up again that says sorry for the inconvenience but there is a shortage on some items. That also is not a good sign. But the stores seem to be full for the most part with the exception of frozen foods. 

I really need to get into the attic and look around up there. I have forgotten about a lot of things DH and I bought for hard times before he passed. We were putting what we could up in attic or in storage shed that I also need to get out there and clean out.  

Need to figure out where I want to tie down that greenhouse tomorrow. Might go out and look around for a mostly sunny spot for it this evening. I know where all the places are I would like to put it but can't make up my mind yet. 

• Like 3

Oh my gosh Littlesister thank you so much for that reminder for tie downs! I haven't put my greenhouse together yet but I really don't want to put it up and then have it blow away!:twister3: 

Mt Rider so sorry about your landlord's troubles hope they heal up soon. 

Euphrasyne you got so much done! :hapydancsmil: and what a cute lunch :)

Miki love homemade bread bet your house smells amazing

I am going to quilt guild sewing day tomorrow. Really looking forward to it I worked way too much this week and need some playtime. My plants are loving the real sun I had them out 6 hrs today. Going to till my garden and hopefully plant the first batch of plants on Sunday :wub:

• Like 3

Going with neighbor in a bit to farmers market. They are opening for first time today. They are open every Sat. weather permitting.  When I get home I am going to the Dollar Tree and Mcdonalds nursery. Then home to work on garden area. Need to double check on my bone meal and such for the tomatoes also. Going to be a long day as I will clean up the big garden this afternoon and then till it again. Then it will be ready for planting.  I have some herbs in front of house in flower bids I need to trim back. The rosemary bush is taken over and need to trim that back again as well. I will be giving rosemary to neighbor as well as drying some for myself. I have mint growing in a pot behind the shed. It seems to do very well there. Going to do some other herbs in pots and put them behind the shed as well to see how they will do.

• Like 4

Light day today.
Will walk first.
Walk dogs.
Salt rising starter was a bust. My container says cornmeal but may be cornmeal mix. Can't use that for the starter. I will try again Sunday evening.
I'm sure I will come up with some little project today. Maybe purge a junk drawer or something.

• Like 4

Farmer's market didn't have as many vendors as I thought but will get much bigger as time goes by. Fresh veggies are coming from SC and NC right now as it is to early for the VA markets yet.  But did get fresh eggs straight from the chickens, rockfish, fresh garlic and some plants. 

They had caster bean plants and I bought one. We used to have a flower bed full of them and it kept the moles and voles away. So I bought one of those and a stevia plant.  Not much for the first time opening but got some things I wanted. 

My neighbor and I went to a vintage store after the going to the market and then breakfast. Then came back from Smithfield and went to Jebs market. They really didn't have much today though. Glad we took a cooler with ice for our fish. Didn't know they would have that and I have been wanting some rock fish for a long while.

• Like 4

I wish we had time to go to the market, but DD15 flew home today and most of the day was taken up by picking her up from the airport.  I'm hoping to make a farmer's market/garage sale weakened in the next few weeks.  I love neighborhood garage sales and I'm hoping to find a twin bed cheap in the next few weeks.  

• Like 3

We've been having lovely spring weather.  Were getting dry tho.  Then yesterday our temperature dropped somewhat.  We had snow/rain/thunder snow/sleet/sunshine.....mix and repeat throughout the day. 

Today was definitely COLD but sunny.  I had horse ride and dressed warmly.  Needed every bit of it!  So I was comfortable with silk long johns/jeans/nylon insulated over pants.  Lots of layers on top.  Insulated leather gloves.  Ear band and knit hat over that.  :frozen:    I was pretty comfortable .....EXCEPT all the pine trees had 4" of snow clinging to the branches/needles. 

The horse would go under the branch and you had to be a lot more wary about brushing against those snow-ladened branches.  I tried to grab a branch behind me and pull....and let go.  I was last in line so if they had any other rides, the way would be a little more clear of snow bombs.  Now and then the wind would gust and blow snow on all of us.  Not a lot.  Until the wrangler and first 3 people really got into a blizzard flurry as they went between some close trees.  Horses and riders were covered in snow.  Fortunately, everyone was laughing.  A tale to tell... 

DH picked up a med that the neurologist ordered for me.  Possibly reduce my fatigue.  It's an old drug and used for different things.  But the info sheet had all sorts of gruesome potential [what percentage gets this stuff?] side affects.  :shrug:     :pray:    I'll start tomorrow.  It would be Ever So Nice to have less fatigue!!!!  

MtRider  ...Little Sister has Farmer's Mkt and we've got inches of snow everywhere...melting fast tho.  :amen:   NEED Moisture!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I'm glad that you had a nice, though chilly ride.  @Mt_Rider

Will have Church this morning.
Walk dogs.
Going to a play this afternoon with a friend. "Prescription:Murder" It's supposed to be the precursor to Columbo. I haven't been to a play since the mid 90's. Used to love going to plays and the dinner theatre when we lived in FL!

• Like 2

With my housekeeper doing most of the actual work, transplanting out into the garden and generally moving plants around. 

Also getting three chicken carcasses broken down, repacked, and frozen, moving yesterday's broth from the fridge (defatted) into the freezer, and putting a new pot of broth on to cook until tomorrow evening.

• Like 6

Everyone is busy! I spent today mostly doing laundry and puttering around organizing. Laid back day which I really needed. We did not get the ground tilled yesterday unfortunately part of where I wanted to put the garden has gravel right under the grass so I think there was a driveway there previously. Then we had a thunderstorm and too wet today so will keep hardening plants off and aim for next sunny day to get one of us out there to till in my alternate location. Have an issue now with neighbor who lets his dogs out loose and when asked used some nasty language towards me and my family so will be putting in a fence which I can't afford but now cannot afford not to. I hope he enjoys the fence being 3 ft from his house which is where the property line is! No more nice me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Sheeeesh, Dude!  Becca Anne is a medical person!  In the days coming up, you and yours should want to be on real good terms with this neighbor!  :shakinghead: 

Real bummer about the hidden driveway.  But now knowing that, would you have another use for an area with a solid base?  Greenhouse? 

We had a much warmer day.  I wasn't out much.  Spent energy yesterday.  Bro told me I need to tell mom to go check her pill box while we're on the phone each night -- cuz she had a very messed up week remembering to take them.  :sigh:   This....the woman who I remember waking me up in the night so long ago, to take pills when I was sick.  :fever:    

MtRider  ....and it's time to call so that's it for tonite.  

PS:  Can't get thru to my mom ....cuz she didn't push the right button to cut the connection....again.  :sigh: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

We did not get the ground tilled yesterday unfortunately part of where I wanted to put the garden has gravel right under the grass so I think there was a driveway there previously.

Sounds like it would be a great place for a greenhouse or a raised bed garden.:lois:

• Like 5