MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Jeepers, that is what we are here for. Keeping each other up in times of stress. 

I am now getting serious about selling my house and moving to NC but not in the same area as DD.  Reason I am thinking about it is that in VA the taxes here are outrages. Suffolk is getting to be one of the worst cities for high taxes. And it is much cheaper in NC. Don't care for Florida as I can't handle that humidity and mosquitoes are much worse than here.  And yesterday I get a notice that the electric company is going to change out my meter for a smart meter. Not going to happen. Just in case I miss them I am putting a notice on my meter that they are not allowed to put a smart meter in.  They can control what you use and cut you off anytime they want. That is happening in CA from what my GD there said. So they will have to talk to me before they can do anything. 

Got the neighbor's bushes cut off my fence but still have a ways to go. But got enough that I can move my wood pile there instead of having it near the shed.  This way I can at least get 4- eight foot wood holders there along the fence. Would work much better and since I can't plant anything near my fence which is only between me and my neighbors, The wood stackers will work much better there. I think I can get up to 8 or 9- eight foot wood stackers along the fence line but right now 4 will do. But if I sell the house maybe in a couple of years when things settle down and I can finish the painting and other things I need to do, I want to take my wood stackers with me. And I need now to replace a window and the hot water tank. So first off is to find a cheap plumber that won't cost me an arm and 6 legs. it is a gas water heater. Right now the tank is not leaking bad and GS took a picture of the bottom of the tank. But I am going out after dinner and put a bucket under it. Just in case. But for now I can hold off. Just too tired to mess with it and I need to get the new one out of garden shed. it is light so I can move it easy and get it to garage. 

Jeepers, I haven't been on a vacation in 5 or 6 years. One is coming in the near future. Just don't know yet where I would want to go.  I don't have anything around here like some of you have. Leman's Vermont country store, Amish stores and such. And a bit too far to travel. But will be looking around for some nice places like those stores but closer to me.

I think God is trying to whip my body back into shape. My muscles are feeling it. This is a huge yard with lots of upkeep on both yard and house. But better a house than an apartment any day.

• Like 5

Sweet Lady, Jeepers.  You have endured so very much.  Maybe rent one of those big U-Haul trucks to do a round trip, to speed the process up.  Leave the “remodel/repair to the insurance company, insisting what you require the finished value needs to be…including your expected profit, inconvenience, and compensation for being displaced.  I’m sure you have kept records, date, times, progress, etc… Plus, you have MrsS posts that a Lawyer would love to use to compensate your ‘pain & suffering’ you have dealt with.  I’m not one to push the issue, but, 4 months without your home, robbery and loss of your privacy, would be something they would consider as a viable claim against an insurance company.  Just saying.  

:pray:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

[RE: "Smart Meters"]

5 hours ago, Littlesister said:

They can control what you use and cut you off anytime they want. That is happening in CA from what my GD there said. So they will have to talk to me before they can do anything. 

You have to sign up for this program; at least that us the way it is with PG&E. (Not so sure about other power companies in the state). The enticement is a lower electric bill. Not worth it, IMO!!!

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2

We have a smart meter that was installed a year or so ago. It eliminated the mender readers for one thing. I don’t believe we signed up for anything but I will admit our electric bill has been lower since then.  Lots lower.  

Unfortunately, Little Sister, they can monitor your usage and cut you off or control your electricity even without a smart meter.   That is all done within the company.  <_<

• Like 4

We had no choice in CO..... they tell you when/what.....not if you'll allow. 

I have a question.  I don't think I asked before.  The electric pole guys and gals came out and worked on the poles a couple years ago.  The drilled 3? deep holes into the poles around the base about a foot from the ground.  Then they screwed in some large screw-bolts.  Did that one the three poles I could see from our house.  Should have gone to ask...didn't.  :scratchhead:  Lightning?  Not 5G....  ???

MtRider   ........??  should I don the hat????  :tinfoilhatsmile:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Thank You Annarchy! All words of wisdom.  :hug3:

If I don't hear from the insurance company soon I'm going to be forced into taking action. 

I wanted to rent a U-Haul trailer but...I don't think I can back the #$%^ thing in or out of my driveway.  :sEm_blush:  Then after I would get it, I don't think I would be strong enough to actually load it up. :sEm_blush:  It's all I can do to load the Jeep up with small stuff every time I go over. I thought about renting one of their vans but I THINK they are for local use only. Not sure about that one. With a trailer, I could drive it over there and leave it there. With a van I'd have to bring it back here. I really need a man for some grunt work.     

I also need to get around some of that junk Servepro left in the house like three bathroom vanities and three sink tops. They put them right in the two spare bedrooms blocking my way to get in there and work. And one of them is sitting in the living room sort of behind a couch that they moved blocking my way in there.  And there are three toilets sitting in there. Two upstairs and one in the living room. I want to go through the garage storage shelves but they put the kitchen counter top (sink still attached) right in front of the shelves. I can't even get behind there to do anything. 

I went to the house today and got one bag of trash moved out and one small printer scanner. It was all I could do to get them downstairs and into a dumpster. I have no strength or stamina any more. Then my heart starts racing. 

Sorry so dark. The stuff goes on back to the left.                   Craft room/office. 2 vanities, 1 toilet and 1 big mirror in doorway.

image.jpeg         image.jpeg

Two bathroom sinks in bedroom. They didn't replace the screen.    Livingroom furniture moved. Bathroom vanity and a toilet.

image.jpeg         image.jpeg

Kitchen sink and top in the garage.                                                            Kitchen counter top blocking the storage shelves.

image.jpeg          image.jpeg

Downstairs Bath.                                                                        Three downstairs hall closets.

Hotel Hall with drying machines.                                                                  My carpet at 3:00am.

image.jpeg           image.jpeg

Water coming down vent.                                         Water traveling behind the bed. It was just as bad on the other side.

• Sad 9

Wow Jeepers, Those kids parents better have a really good savings. That is going to cost them.  Your mess looks like my mess from my construction. They really fixed it so you can't get to your stuff and pack it all up. I agree time to go after insurance company.  I need to get on the stick and get that garage cleaned out. Then get GS moved out so I can get the rest of house finished. 

I got the notice that they are going to put a smart meter in my house. We have Dominion Energy. I have been doing alot of research on the smart meters and found one from a doctor. I can't get it to  come over to here. The site is amymyersmd.com/articile/dangerous-smart-meter#Dangers of Smart Meters Know the Truth. In between the spaces is the line that goes under the blank spaces. The key won't work.  She is an MD and has studied up one this meter. I have already heard about how this is working here from others that already have it. We have no choice but can call to opt out but it takes 30 days to do it. 

I was on phone with Dominion for a good while Talking with them. She lied about the increase in price and I told here about the issues with the radiation. The RF radiation can cause cancer  Also the other type of radiation is EMF electromagnetic radiation and they haven't studied up on the health issues. I was able to opt out. But a smart meter will be installed till the paperwork is done. She is sending me the papers to fill out and then I have to send them back.  But from what This MD said it causes Fatigue, cognitive problems, Brain fog, irritability, anxiety, memory loss and can cause cancer. This radiation will be all over your house in the air and you are breathing it in. Once they get the paperwork, They will come out and take the smart meter out but I will still have a smart meter. All they do is take out the chip and it becomes a non communication smart meter.  They will come out to read meter every other month and I would be billed every other month instead of monthly. This is the funny part. They said my meter was old and non functional. You don't want to know where that story went. But anyway, I asked questions about the meter based on what some friends of mine said that has the smart meter. Will my bill go up and of course Dominion said no. Wrong. My friends bill went up about $200 a month. For me I will be paying $15 a month for them to get out of truck and come up to meter to read it. With my old meter I have now, they just drive by and read it. No getting out of truck. Told her that didn't make sense. Also one of my friends opted out and now they are hounding her. She is not budging. She said they will cut current off if you don't use the smart meter that sends info to them every 15 minute. You will lose your privacy also with this. I am opting out anyway. Hanging in till they force me to put it in. I do question the non communicating Meter. As they said all they do is take out the chip so it won't communicate with the Dominion computers. They said the cost of this for VA is 3.6 billion dollars at least I think that was the quoted price. I think that money could be better spent EMP proofing the grid. 

So my morning was spent paying bills. Getting things together for when my Financial adviser comes to see what I need to do with my retirement. Need to make some changes and talking with Dominion energy. I really needed to work in yard. I have been cutting branches from my back fence off. Though they are my neighbor's bushes. They are growing through the fence and it's hard to cut grass there. DH would cut them off every year and now my guy that cuts my grass gets hit in the face when he tries to cut the grass near there. So now I am taking care of that. Leveling up the ground at fence also for the 2 racks for the wood to be stacked on. Will work on the garden areas tomorrow and then get back to working on the wood pile.

• Like 3

Good morning! Had a busy few days and only on here to read.

Little Peanut Butter isn't improving with just milk thistle, so will start treating her for Cushing's today-flax seed, melatonin and coconut oil. We will see if that helps. She is still happy, so not ready to put her down.

Made coleslaw and s'more bars yesterday. They will go to a cookout I am going to today.
I'll walk first and then dehydrate some sweet potato slices for dog treats.
Later, I want to thinly slice a venison roast and marinate it overnight to grill tomorrow on skewers.
Cookout at 3 and then rest.

@Littlesister, so far I have a smart meter but a low tech thermostat.  Can't hook to wifi with it and they keep offering free smart thermostats, but I am not interested.  I set mine on and off manually and that is how I want it.  My bill has not gone up with the new meter.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Rate plan choices with PG&E. Not sure about the power companies in southern Ca.

MM, what do the prices reflect?  The one time cost to join the plan?  Yearly fee?  Hopefully not monthly!!! 

• Like 1

Miki, I hope peanut butter gets better with your new treatment. :pray:   Do you have Dominion Energy?  I have had a few friends that now has the smart meter and they said their bill went up by around $200 a month. Seems strange that some people's didn't go up and others did. I can't say how mine will be till it is all said and done. But my bill right now even with air condition is still low. 

I need to go to T-Mobile To check on their internet. I am now paying $80 for Spectrum internet and T-Mobile is $50. I have the T-Mobile phone and it is $50 a month. They don't go up on their prices. I have been checking into the internet and everyone that has it said they love it. No issues with it. So need to head down there. Going to be raining starting tomorrow so will go on a rainy day as I am saving the good days to work in garden.

• Like 3

OK, I must be nuts. I just made work in garden harder. I extended the garden by 8 inches. 4 inches on each side and 4 inches on one end. Then I cut down a lot of tree branches to get more sun on the garden.  More seeds to plant and a bit longer rows. Now I have to clean all that out. But it will be worth it.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Mother said:

MM, what do the prices reflect?  The one time cost to join the plan?  Yearly fee?  Hopefully not monthly!!! 

If you go back and look at the pics, each dollar amount is the yearly estimated cost for each tier. 

I am currently paying somewhere in the ballpark of $70-75/mo, so about $840-$900/yr; but I also have a medical discount on my rate as well as a low income subsidy. I have no idea how much it would actually be if I didn't have those program discounts.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

Then I cut down a lot of tree branches to get more sun on the garden.

If you have any pots or raised beds you can use those branches to fill the bottoms and cut down on the amount of soil you would need to use to fill them.

• Like 3

OK, I goofed. It was 2 feet one each side of garden and one foot on end. MM, I plan to use some of those branches for the big pots I have. I cut off a lot of low branches on 5 trees. One trees.  2 on side yard and one in front yard. The other 2 trees are on each end away from the garden but some branches were hanging over 2 ends of the garden. Now I will have more sun there. 

I just quit for the day. I am tired.  My git up and go got up and went. I need a nap but to late now for that. 

• Like 3

Miki, I feel the same way about my thermostat. A family member tries to talk me into one of those Nest Thermostats. I'd rather adjust it myself. Some years I don't use an air conditioner at all. I'd rather open the windows and have a fan on me. I don't need the air conditioner to kick on and cool the rest of the house when it's only 80+ degrees outside. My luck the air would kick on while I have the windows open and I wouldn't even notice it. I at least want that little bit of control in my life.

Prayers for little Peanut Butter and that the new regimen will help him! :pray:

I understand about not wanting to put him down yet. Especially since his quality of life isn't suffering. :hug3:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeepers, I am the same way about air conditioning. I can set mine on what I want and then just keep it shut off and open windows. My GS loves the cold and if he touches my air conditioner again he's in big trouble. I woke up in middle of night last summer freezing as he turned it down to 64 one night after I had gone to bed. If he does it again I am going to turn it off and shut it down at the breaker box. That should do it.  When I do need the air conditioner, It is usually kept at 75. That for me is comfortable in 90 plus degree weather.

I am sore and my right arm is killing me. Yes, I over did it again. :busted:  Advil tonight and a hot shower. Going to Feed and seed tomorrow. Making a list of what I need. It is suppose to rain tomorrow. So will do some garden shopping.

Edited by Littlesister
Hit save again while trying to figure out the spaces
  • Like 4

Might want to padlock the breaker box too, Little sister.  We had to when we had long term family staying....and staying with us.  :sassing:

Today I went to Rehab.  "Bee" was very nice and DH and I communicated with her easily.  Anticipated a lot of what she'd usually start out with..........cuz I've been doing adaptions for decades.  Asked if I would see the speech/cognitive guy...yeah, in May.  So first goal is to get me back so I can walk dog daily.  [ fortunately DH has finally got her goofy self to run on our property only.  But dog encounters with our birds could still be a problem.]   But I've walked every nite except blizzards or lightning for years.  Not in recent months....  :sigh: 

So this P.T. will be a regular thing for a while.  She tested muscle strength, control, reflexes [way too strong].  Balance with eye open and shut.  She saw what she expected to see.   :band:    :amen:    :woohoo:     FIRST TIME a medical professional has been on my track. [ Well, DrK did say "you rule out everything else and if you have these issues, its MS.......even if demylination doesn't show on MRIs". ...which is why I'm keeping her! ]  Bee was anticipating what would be happening.  She saw me walk, sit, stand..........and in the end, she saw how quickly a heat and exertion meltdown happens to me.  Limp as DH hauled my purse/etc and I 'toed' my wheelchair to car and could barely transfer to car seat.  Usually I hoist leverage my own chair up/into the back of car.  DH's back makes it hard for him..  Not today.  Put bandana over my eyes...leaned on car door (locked) and just zoned out for almost the whole ride home.  Petting dog head that scrunched up next to me in back seat.   Then I felt better. 

Today was harsh tho, because I had stimulation overload and it was too HOT in there.   Well, I was too hot.  I had gone wearing shorts under my sweatpants so shed the pants.  Had a tank under other layers.  :knary:   Got my ice/gel packs out but couldn't actually get heat under control till I got back to the car.  Really shaky.  But our day was a bit on the cooooool side today.  :) 

MtRider  ...quite pleased, actually.  Someone who isn't at all surprised/perplexed at my odd stuff!  :amen:  

• Like 4

Mt. Rider, I am so glad this doctor is working out for you.   she will get you straight. :pray:

Went to Feed and Seed today.   Bought a lot of stuff.  2- 40lb bags of cow manure, fertilizer, plant food, veggie. plants, a blueberry bush to replace the one I had to dig up because I couldn't get the 3 wild trees that grew into it. Lemon drop plants, seeds and a few more items.   I am all set now to start planting. 

Will be working in garden in a little bit.  Need to head up street to Taylors hardware and garden to see if they have any bone meal. Feed & seed said they had not been able to get any. Just hope they have some. If so I will get 2 or 3 bags as I don't know what is going on with that.    I also got some rabbit deterrent. Hope it works.  Still need to make a trip to Lowe's.  No rain so far. I think the weather report has changed. But it is coming and I want to get my seeds planted before the rain starts.

• Like 3

Walked first. Good thing to get done. Didn't sleep much.
Dropped off some leftover s'mores bars at mechanics. Cars are there so much, they are like family.
Made Smashed garlic, parmesan, bacon honey potatoes. I added the bacon bits and honey!
Going out to grill venison, hot dogs and burgers in a few minutes.
Going to prayer meeting tonight at 6:30.

@Mt Rider, I'm so glad you have a good therapist!

And Peanut Butter's legs have stopped shaking almost completely!  That is a great first step!

Edited by snapshotmiki
memory issues
  • Like 4

Mt. Rider that is good news! Nothing like having the medical field actually listen to you...or so I've been told.  :rolleyes:

I went to Amish country today. I didn't really feel like it but it is senior discount Wednesday so I went. Lehman's is at it again. They are moving the store all around. When they move the store...they really move the store. They seem to do that every 7 years or so. It seems to always look better, but it's a mess for awhile. It was pretty topsy-turvy today and not easy to get around. Probably getting ready for the summer crowd. They get tourists by the bus's full. I got one of those wooden drying racks that I went for. It's a nice big one with the wooden rungs plastic coated. Also there is a piece that juts out at the top. I suppose for drying longer items. I went ahead and got another pully dryer line too. I had one but it was in the basement and it probably got thrown away. Sigh. If not I'll just have two. I'm not going to fret about it. I finally found a kid size yard rake there. Last year I got the garden tools but they have been out of the rakes. You-Know-Who can now rake up the weeds I need to pull over there. All three things were less than $100.00 with the discount.

I went to two quilt shops. I only got two more stencils and a package of fabric strips. I figure I will make either place mats or a table runner out of it. It's really brighter than the picture shows and 40 different colors. They had some beautiful color combination packets (fat quarters) that I would liked to have had but they were just too expensive for me. I didn't find the fan quilt pattern I was looking for. I want the stiff acrylic cut out pieces. Amazon has them...of course.

I got a picture of the kind of cart a lot of the Amish down there use. Some use a bicycle and I have seen a few tricycles. Really nice for running errands and a quick run to the grocery store. I've even seen them with the lid off and a kid or two riding in it. I've also seen them a tad bigger than this one too. I saw a lot of people riding bikes down there today. More than usual. Both Amish and non Amish. You really have to be careful driving down there.

This is a great season go because the little baby animals are out in the pastures jumping and leaping and springing all over the place. Lots of baby, sheep, goats  and horses. Didn't see many baby cows yet. I love being down there. 

It seemed strange going down there and not going to the bulk food stores. I need to take inventory before I get more stuff to haul to Indy. 

On the way back I stopped at a nice shopping district. It's a 6 lane highway with stores on both sides. Went in to Michael's and found one of those magnifying glasses that hang on the neck. I need it for a number of things. I got some more Tee shirts. I don't know why I can't stop buying them every time I go in there. They are nice with lots of colors and only $4.99 each. I do wear one every day but in reality, I have enough. Across the street is Hobby Lobby. It is the biggest H.L. I've ever seen! It is huge. I got some different cross stitch fabric from what I have hoping it will work out better. And some bigger graph paper than what I had. I plan to use it to move furniture around. I got the call today that G-sons furniture is ready for delivery. I wasn't planning on that so soon.  :unsure: 

I stopped by the house and got the mail. I dropped in Meijers and bought just a few groceries.  I did pretty good today considering I wasn't feeling well. I pushed myself though. I'm in until the weekend when I have to meet up with the landscaper at the house to discuss some plants. My landscaper is really just my lawn mower dude. 

image.jpeg       image.jpeg      image.jpeg

• Like 6