MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Whew!  I'm gonna be sore tonite...tomorrow???  It all goes back to [well, I WANTED/INTENDED to do this anyway ] the electrical problem in living room and more outlets not functioning.  It's not the breakers....although there's a mystery in there toooooo...  :buttercup: 

With a good weather day, we can move the food and smaller shelves out onto the porch.  That's access to the #1 suspect in this dilemma.   I also cleared stuff that makes it tight going back to that corner.  A lot of "throw it here cuz I don't have a place to put it " stuff.  Made a considerable dent in that stack. 

THEN I had to see about moving the desk....cuz outlet #2 is along the side of it.  There is a top shelf on that desk and a whole bunch of things that haven't seen daylight [or a dusting] in decades.  :dusting:       LOTS of dust.  That's now completely clear under the desk and on the desktop.  Finally removed our old Apple computer. 

Question:  Any protocol in throwing out computers that have the tower, keyboard, separate screen???

Anyway, it's all in parts on our porch.  Along with stacks of old magazines.  And other "not seen in decades" stuff.  Actually, that's kinda nice cuz with most of it, even I can just pitch it in trash.  :curtsey:  ...most of it....  :whistling: 

I did sort thru one stack on misc paperwork.  Got that sorted rather easily. 

Today was waaaaay more than One Square Foot.  :band:    .........But it's only a small part of following that electric line around into Bedroom #2 ....find the corresponding outlets on the other side of living room wall.  I actually started clearing for that a couple weeks ago.  So I could see what's out or not.  So some of that's done.  Told J it has to be a sunny...all day long sunny day.  Lot of stuff has to go out to the porch.  It's covered but not if there is any wind.  

I'm pleased :happy0203: 

MtRider ....more to clear the way to recover our electricity!  :0327:

• Like 8

Mt. Rider I hope you don't have any squirrels in attic or getting in walls. They will eat through the electrical cords. I know several people here that has had that issue. Had to call someone out to get the squirrels out and find where they got in. They love cedar shank roofs.  Hope you can get it figured out soon. 

Just finished working on the den. Making a few changes and dusting and mopping floors as well. Had to change filters on vacuum as well. I forgot the construction workers got hold of it and was vacuuming things that they should have been using their shop vac for. I had forgotten about that and had to clean it and change filters before I could use it. I didn't realize the wood stove could create so much dust. But all clean now. I will know now that next winter I will need to keep on top of that.

• Like 7

Lots of spring cleaning going on for everyone sounds like! I did get some done myself cleared out the closet in the room that will be the bedroom for my friend. Put things in various places but still have to work out a permanent home for some of it. Art papers from my kids, old photo albums I need to go through so much "mementoes" and cut down yet again. I am terribly sentimental but even I recognize it's too much. Will buy a few bins and each kids stuff will go in one whatever fits and cut again until it does. Then those can go up in the attic. For now it's all in my office but it's all together now to process. Once the plants go outside I can reclaim shelving in the dining room and move the office books in there (It's a huge wall of shelving) and then that room will be done except for moving the furniture upstairs. Then I can clean and wax the floors and the rooms will be ready for her once the shower is fixed up (supplies ordered so hoping it will be done by the end of next week).

• Like 7

Little Sister....I've heard of others with squirrels, etc in their attic.  But thisis a real log and chinking cabin.  Only a few interior walls.  No attic, just a loft ...which is inaccessible without long ladder.  The ceiling is rough sawn lumber with plywood, then tar paper and shingles.  Pretty rustic/simple.  However we still have mice but not in a long time.  I think we've been able to button up this place much better.  I'm even thinking of using the lower kitchen cabinets again....but they'd have to be sanitized AGAIN before I could do that.  Right now....I need to finally get Mom's stuff sorted and FIND places for it.  And dump old papers, magazines, etc. 

You're right about shake roof.  A lot of subdivisions required shake roof.......until these modern forest fires took out one of those.  Now they have moved to metal roofing or more expensive molded cement to look like the SW tile roof.  Trouble with metal roofing.....on our warm days it heats up and the whole load of snow gets slick and slides down the nice metal slide .....onto sidewalks, people, etc.  So they put little plastic bits up there - to hold back the sliders.  A lot more fire-ready building going on in the last couple decades. 

Our old cabin....well, at least it's not a shake roof.  It did survive the Big One early on.  But the pond with water supply helped give us a GREEN ribbon.  As in:  yeah, we can save this one.  

MtRider  ...  :offtobed: 

• Like 6

Been working in the gardens all morning. Came in for a break and to get my seeds to plant. There was more rain last night and ground is muddy but just dry enough that I can now get into it to plant.:lois:. Later will come in and start on another room to deep clean. I should sleep good tonight or be so tired I can't sleep.

• Like 5

Praying that your electric gets sorted soon and that minimalizing goes well and quickly, @Mt_Rider!

Walked first this morning.
Will take jeep to detail fellow in a bit. While cleaning stuff out of jeep yesterday, I found a small silver heart pendant that my Grandad gave me when I was 16 years old. The chain had snapped while I was in the car about 5 years ago and I thought it flew out the window. I have cleaned the car since, myself, but never got under the front seat well enough to find it. There was a pink post it note in front of it which I almost just left, thinking I was done. I can be meticulous, so I twisted until I could grab the note and saw something shiny behind it. Grabbed at it and it was the heart. Before I started getting stuff out of the car, I was talking to God and said "this is probably about the last time you can show me where this pendant is, if it is in the car". And He did!  Praise God!  
When I get home, I will walk dogs.
Make hummus.
Clean baths.
Pick up car.

• Like 6

Rain, Rain, Rain. Today, tonight and tomorrow. With a chance of flurries tonight. 

I picked up my computer today. I didn't expect to take that long setting it up. I haven't opened the box yet. Not looking forward to getting used to a new computer and getting my stuff transferred in. I don't wanna. And it always seems a hassle getting connected to the hotels Internet. I have to fill out a form (online) about every three days. Then it never 'takes' the first couple of times. Annoying. 

Also got my meds and mail on the other end of town. I think I need to see the dr. before I can get any more refills. I'm not scheduled until July though. Whatever. 

Oh, and I choked a girl at Wendy's today. But other than that it was a good day.

I ordered a large frosty at Wendy's and when she gave it to me it looked smaller than usual. Shrinkflation. I made the comment that it didn't look like a large and I guess everything is shrinking these days. She just looked at me. I think she was expecting me to put the blame on her. They do get the brunt of a lot of corporate decisions. I used to work retail. Some customers are really nasty. I said, "Yes everything is shrinking these days except for my hind end."  She wasn't expecting it and started to laugh so hard she snorted and choked herself. All the while trying to give me a thumbs up. A coworker came to see if was okay and if I had assaulted her. It made our day. Actually, I think she sort of choked herself so it might not have been my fault after all. I'm used to being blamed for everything anyway so it's all good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Ambergris, I'm glad all is ok now. And you were able to go back home. Hope PM is doing ok as well. 

Jeepers, everything here is shrinking. The Wendy's frosty's and the Dairy Queen are smaller now. But the price sure didn't shrink. 

Got the garden in, and the marigolds planted. But saw where we are going to have a couple of 42* nights. So going to wait a bit on the tomatoes. Still have to plant the watermelon plants but not sure where yet. Working on a place. Got just over half of the flower bed on back of house cleaned out. So hopefully tomorrow I can finish up. Stopped a little earlier than I usually do. Just tired and was starting to get really sore, so figured I better quit while I was ahead. It has been really windy today so that might be why I was able to get in garden after last night's rain. It wasn't the hard rain we did have for 2 day. 

GS still not talking to me and he won't talk to his mother either. Don't know what is up with that. He called his mother and told her I am making him move by end of this month. Still not looking for an apartment. I ask DD if he told her why I am making him move and she said no. So told her about going through my bedroom dressers, and such looking for his rent money. And punching a hole in the closet door. She said he would have been out of her house that night. I thought about just waiting till 1st of July because of just getting this job but I'm not so sure I will do that now. Never said he was sorry for what he did and won't take responsibility for his actions.  I have told him many times actions have consequences. He just doesn't seem to get it or just doesn't care. His whole life is sleeping, eating and playing video games. He does nothing else.  Woke me up around 3 am this morning going up and down hall talking to his internet friend and being very loud. I got up and told him to tone it down. He wouldn't do it but ended up sitting in his car to finish talking with his friend. I think he got the idea that he could be kicked out before end of May. I worry that he will never change his ways and start doing what's right. I really hate kicking him out but it is the only way he will ever learn. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Today I got a phone call.  My great uncle, the last living  of 13 children from the same parents is dead.  An entire generation is now gone from that family.  He worked for Mercedes and designed engines and Naskar engines.   But the real reason for the call was chaos, drama, greed, and psychosis over someone else.  That prompted another phone call and that call prompted OPERATION VODKA IN ME NOW.   Family sucks.  I'm glad I live half a continent away and I'm glad that vodka exists.  

Korean Bimipap for dinner.  10/10 from DD15 and 8/10 from DH.   definately on the repeat menu.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Euphrasyne, So sorry about your uncle.  And yes I have been there with my little sister. She started stealing from my mother before she passed away.  Then after she passed and with my older sister who passed in 1999 and lived with my mother. Yes little sister didn't care that older sister was still alive and for that reason she had no business taking from the house anything she wanted without asking. She took everything, but was worth it to not have the drama. My younger sister was very greedy. She learned at a very young age take what you want. I even had to give her my Christmas presents each year if it was something she wanted. But was worth it to not see or hear from her any longer. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Sorry for the drama in your life Euphrasyne. All of my aunts and uncles are gone too. I only have cousins left and we are all getting older.

A death always brings the roaches out of the woodwork. My family too. When a cousin died I thought that I'd like to have her worry stone that she carried all through her illness and treatment. A nice small clear resin 'stone' that had an angel carved inside of it. Actually, I think she first got it when her mom was so sick. Then I thought, "Why would I want to bring all of her worries and fears home with me?" So I didn't ask for it. Turned out her sister and brother's fought over that little worry stone and I was spared their drama. I would have gotten it because I was the only one who went to be with her as she was dying. And she asked them to come see her one last time. They didn't go. Glad I didn't take on her worries and drama. I know it's superstition but I still feel like it was a good decision. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I know what you mean Jeepers, I think it is in all families. it is why I have a trust instead of a will.  I already know what each of my grandchildren want as well as my DD. In the trust is a list of each item that each child wants. So no bickering, or anything. Each child will get what they want and as for the rest they can sell it, throw it out, or divide it between them. It will all be taken care of through the trust lawyer.  All of my uncles and aunts are gone now and I only have a few cousins left now. All are up in age now also. It is ashame that families have to act like the way they do when a family member passes as it leaves hard feelings for a long, long time. Just not worth it to me.

• Like 6

Ya'll get so much done.  I feel like all I do is spin my wheels.  If I do get something checked off as complete on my job list, I find three more things to take it's place.

I am having problems getting my grass cut.  The lady who usually does it ,comes after work. She  has been unable to come because her mother is dying from breast cancer. She will come as soon as she can but I know her Mom is the most important right now.  Her Mom is lucky to have a daughter like her.  They have given her less than 3 months to live.

On the happy side we are still having incredible weather.  I am still not sweating!  Our high yesterday was 67 which is perfect to me. I wish I was able to garden but I have to be able to stay on pavement in my wheel chair or I will get stuck.

Hope everyone here has a great day!

• Like 8

The worst part is that the chaos and drama is over my grandmother who is in poor health but still living.   Her children are fighting over the scraps she has and she hasn't even died yet.   I am so glad I married DH and got myself out of all of it.  I'm really blessed to be where I am.  I'm putting in my will that anyone contesting it gets nothing.  

I arranged to have a video call  with grandmother through my brother this weekend so I can touch base with her and make sure she has what she needs.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

My younger sister got everything. There was no will that could be found. My parents never made one up. Only where they wanted to be buried. My younger sister even caused my mother to lose her house. That one is a long story.  Just wish my mother would have seen through her as she was one evil girl. 

went out early this morning to start working in gardens again and it was just to cold. So came in house to do some things. Will go back out in a couple of hours to work garden. 

Woke up with my ear full of fluid so had to deal with that very early this morning. It is better but I can still feel some fluid way down in there. Hope I'm not getting an ear infection. It was very windy yesterday and that might have something to do with it. Wind blowing in my ears and face. Had to pin my hair up it was so windy. But I got a lot done on the gardens. 

Edited by Littlesister
hit wrong button again.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

Walked first this morning.
Took ebay photos for DH.
Killed weeds in back yard.
Going to hearing aid doc with DH this afternoon and then stop at Walmart.
Maybe prayer meeting this evening according to when we get home.

• Like 6

Didn't get to work in gardens today.  Went back out hoping it had warmed up a bit and instead it got colder and started raining. Right now the sun is out but some gray clouds. hoping tomorrow will be better.  So just worked around the house today. Got quite a bit done inside today though.  I thought about going out and planting my carrot seeds but to tired now and my ear is very sore. Afraid I might be on the verge of getting an ear infection. Will see what happens tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Family drama brings out the worst in everyone. Tears families apart. Always so sad. Hugs Euphrasyne I'm so sorry about your uncle.

Nothing much here except work today. I did finish off the binding on my baby quilt and also finished an afghan I started about 15 yrs ago. I thought I would decide to pull out the yarn to do something else with it only to discover I had quit when I was almost done LOL. So I finished the last row, and the edging and that is one less UFO in my closet. I will gift it to my friend when she moves in as is the perfect color for a throw in the Living area she will have. Evaluating all the craft stuff I have and trying to either give things away or use them. 

Garden plants carried inside and out for the last time today. It will be 41 degrees tonight and then in the 60's at night for the foreseeable future so I think its safe to leave them out from now on. Hoping to get them all in the actual garden this weekend and be done with baby plants in the house. 

• Like 7

Walked first, this morning.
Took DH to oral surgeon for first visit and x-rays.
Stopped at a jeweler's and had my silver heart pendant put on a stronger chain that I had. $6 Yay!
Thrift store to donate more purging items.
Still have to walk dogs.
Bible study tonight.

DH got his hearing aids fixed at the doc, yesterday. Thank God!

• Like 7

Miki so glad you got your necklace fixed :wub:

Today was in a training all day at work so not much got done but put my plants on the porch this morning and don't have to bring them back in as it's finally warm enough at night to leave them out. Time to get them in the garden when I get the chance. My goal is no baby plants in the house by the end of the weekend. Have to start hardening off the remaining plants tomorrow that have sprouted. Will put the flats outside tomorrow and take down the grow lights for the season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rainy day, here. Will do walking video shortly.
Helping a friend, later and tomorrow.
See you all Sunday!

I took the electric blanket off the bed today!  Officially, summer is here for me!

• Like 5

Worked in garden this morning, Got tomatoes, carrots and squash planted. Tomorrow I will finish the planting and get other things in yard done. Going to get the green house in a more permanent place. Then next spring I only need to put the cover on it and it will be ready to use. Putting in permanent tie downs for it.  Moving the wood pile to a better location as well. GS said he will help me with that.  I will see if he can get up before 5pm to help. He's being nice again for now. I think it is a coy to get me to let him stay longer but not going to happen. 

Next week is back to house work and going through more stuff for Goodwill. Maybe do some organizing if I get the chance. 

• Like 3

Yay for you who are getting gardens in!  I'm envious! 

Miki.... I'm SO glad you found that heart.  How did the detail work on Jeep work out...worth it?

Life is a bit of a blur right now.  One common strain thru it all.........I'm doing a LOT more than usual.  Or what has been "my usual" since getting back home in Oct.  Maybe meds helping?  :shrug:    The other explanation isn't so good.  I could be using a lot of adrenaline.  And that will make me pay at some point.  :scratchhead:   Guess I'll just wait and see.

I've gotten the desk and top of the sewing machine cabinet cleared and organized.  :hapydancsmil: Really...both were stacked waaaay up in a multilayered mess.  :)   DH commented that he could even write out the bills on the desk....instead of kitchen counter.   Our property managers still can't really come.....which is good for me.  Not sure I can push much harder to clear space to find the electric outlets.  All CAN be accessed in living room now.....have to move some things but can be done now.  Bedroom....first outlet would be okay.  If there is a second on that wall..... that's my next job.  And if we absolutely HAVE to access that one.....  :0327:   Third outlet is the worst of all.....  :pray:  

Pray for B of my property managers B and J.   He's in hospital now with pneumonia in both lungs.  But is now responding to treatment.  Been sick for weeks.  I told J....just go take care of B cuz I'm not done clearing yet.  What's another few wks without electric to the living room.  :shrug: 

=-=-==ALERT=-=-=-=

Yesterday morning I got a weird call from Bro.  He was shocked that I answered the phone and asked it I was alright.  Yeeaaah....why?  Mom called him to say that a lawyer contacted her about me.  I'd caused an accident; I had a broken nose but the 8 months pregnant lady in the car I hit was in the hospital, not doing well.  I was arrested and was at the jail......   Mom kept saying 'Call Bro' to the person.  Even spoke with "me" who didn't sound right to mom but it "was due to broken nose"...  It was so convincing....she even had a case number...and that was why Bro was shocked to hear my voice. 

So he and I discussed if this was one of her dreaming episodes that seem real to her.  Edging on dementia a bit.  So I called mom and Bro called her caretaker to see if maybe Mom got mixed up and it was caretaker in accident, not me.  It took only a few minutes talking to mom and I knew it had been a SCAM.   He never got to the asking for money for "my lawyer" cuz she kept saying he had to talk to Bro!!  Bro and caretaker figured it out too. 

:baseballbat::gaah::soapbox::fryingpan::darthduck:    Takes an evil-rotten good-for-nothing person to scam the elderly.  But HOW did they get her new number and my first name? 

Sooooooooo, dear friends.  Be ever so wary.  There are evil-rotten-good-for-nothing folks .....waiting to devour anyone they can. 

MtRider  ....and lots of other stuff happened too.....  Riding tomorrow if weather holds.

• Sad 6