MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

People who pull those scams are evil. Sorry that happened to your mom.  :motz_6:

I spent most of Friday at the house. I had it planned out because I needed to be there to receive a small Amazon order. I kept everything in the wish list so I could get it all delivered on one day. Just one small box. They had all day to deliver it and it and didn't come until 6:00pm so I had a long wait. I had plenty to drink which sort of became my problem. No bathroom. LOL. Lawn guy called wanting to stop by the hotel for the month of May payment. Instead he dropped by the house which worked out well for him. While waiting for Amazon I got the front part of the Jeep cleaned out and all of the vinyl (or what ever it is) Armor All-ed with the wipes. It made a real difference. The back area will be next. I've already started to fill it up for the next trip so I need to move stuff around first. Then change the seat covers and car mats. It will be a challenge to vacuum it though. The floors are a mess.  I might take in to get that done. The carwash vacuums never seem strong enough and the head is too big to get in the little areas. Next will be to get the oil changed and inspected for another year of tags. Next week if I don't forget.

I got the food buckets moved from the family room and out to the garage. After I got it done I questioned myself about why I was doing all of that work. Initially it was to get things all in one place for when son comes over to take a load to Indy. Then I remembered that I need to get things accessible for when I call the junk man. They can't even get to my real junk because of my good junk. I can only work in there for so long before I start to cough. I moved about 20 bucket and about that many #10 cans to the garage. At least I didn't have to move them down from upstairs. They will be okay out there for awhile. FYI, a 4 gallon bucket of salt is HEAVY! 

Computer is still in the box. But I have it. I started the cross stitch pattern last night. It isn't very neat (understatement) and the back is a hot mess. But from a distance...  One of those lighted magnifying glasses that hang from your neck, is a game changer. Now I can see the tiny X's. 

Then it got real. I called my insurance adjustor on Thursday to complain. I left a message and 8 days later, he still hadn't called back. So I went to my agent. I know he doesn't like when I drop in but he is too difficult to get on the phone. I also know there is nothing he can do. BUT he is the only one I know of who I can reach. I know this but what else can I do. Basically, at the end of the day, I don't care. :shrug:  It got sort of confusing but I told him I need my settlement and that I haven't received any money. He looked it up and said, "That isn't true. That is a false statement." It was on from that moment on! He mentioned that they 'finally' paid the demo team and threw out the numbers they have paid for the hotel. I told him that none of that money is coming to me personally. They are paying the hotel bill directly to the hotel and to the demo company. So, no, they aren't paying ME anything, and that isn't getting me into my house. I want my settlement in my hand so I can get the contractor started repairing my house. I don't care about what they are paying to the hotel. If they don't want to pay it...get me out of there. Any money they are paying out is not benefiting me nor getting my house fixed. I pulled the "S" card and he said he was a senior too. He is 62. I'm 71 in a few days. I won that one. 62. Pffft.  Their next surprise will be when I hire an attorney. I don't want to but I will. The guy who did my estate thingy also specializes in senior law.  

Then came the icing on the cake. The reason my adjustor hasn't called back is because he no longer works there. WHAT. No one told me that. That's why no one is calling me back. I had no adjustor working for me. I have a new one now. So, the new guy did call me back within a half hour and said he was sorry...  :blah:  and will get on it right away. We'll see. I went in the office being pleasant and polite but when the agent took an attitude, I lit up. He made me mad and I'm still salty over that one.  In the end, I told the agent and the adjustor that I want MY money so I can pay my contractor to get started. I called my contractor right away and he is going to call the new guy. Seriously. I am a pretty nice person and reasonable until someone disrespects or take an attitude with me. Then I can be vicious. No apologies.  So we will see what happens next week. 

Forgot to add, when I got home I had an email wanting me to take our a CD with their insurance company. With a special rate because I'm a 'valued' customer. They must have missed that memo.  :24:

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

Mt_Rider,  I had the exact same scam as your mom only it was supposedly my grandson, my oldest grandson, but then they had names and addresses of a LOT of family members and it changed to my oldest son. They even went so far as supposedly putting a police officer on and giving me not only case numbers but also the number of a supposed legal aid person.  THEN, that legal aid person even called me.  He sounded suspiciously like the supposed grandson/son who needed money.  

I called my son just to make sure it was a scam but I knew it was. For one reason our son would NOT need legal aid.  On his suggestion I called the local sheriff’s office and found that this was a scam they hadn’t heard about and we’re glad to know so they could reassure others.  There is absolutely nothing they could do about it though they did take the phone numbers I had to try to see if they could get them through that.  Most scammers, like the Medicare ones that I get sometimes two or three a day, use random computer collected phone numbers to cal people and there is no way to catch them.  

Another elaborate scam I turned in was a supposed investment firm, a real one no less, who tried to convince me that someone had left me a maturing trust fund for $320,000.  They again had all sorts of addresses and info that I’m sure they garnered on the web.  I was smart enough to give the person the phone number and address of our lawyer whom I said did all our financial work.  Unsurprisingly , they never contacted him. I actually looked up and called the investment firm, a well known big one in CA.,and found they were trying to find these people themselves but were having little luck.  They were grateful for all the info I had.  

The police told me the best we could do was to warn as many of our family and friends, especially us elder ones, about the scams so they don’t fall for it. Mt R you might want to tell your mom to have your brother’s phone number right on the phone to give to these people.  They won’t call it but it will help your Mom’s worry.  

Personally I normally enjoy messing with ‘oldest grandson’ caller. I ask them their name as if I’m a bit senile and then tell the whopping stories of having dozens of grands (which I actually do but I don’t tell them the real number) and start berating them for not coming to visit and why I haven’t received the last check from him for the last time he called for money. When I start going on about him bringing me donuts or something similar on Friday he usually hangs up.  (An old lady needs SOME fun, don’t you know! :008Laughing: :laughkick:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

We live in a closed subdivision.  The neighborhood garage sale was today.  We were going to clear out our garage, but with all the crazy lately, I didn't want to put in the effort.  So we all loaded into the van and went around to the other houses instead.   Everyone cooed over River and she got several 'new' stuffed animals and a toy car.  I got a lot of cookbooks, kids toys, a 4ft tall metal cabinet for $20 and a huge cooler for $25.   SCORE!  I have no idea where I'm going to put the cabinet, but I love that tan colored metal office furniture.  The lady was super nice too and threw in a free whale for River when she saw it and screamed WHALE!  DH had to return home in the van and bring the truck (1 street over) when I got the furniture.  I'm not sure if he thinks that is a successful trip, but I do.   Excuse the dirty floor.  I need to mop and River sneaked crayons out of the office.  I got the art for the frame and mat.  I plan to replace the image.  The crockpot is smallish.  It will hold maybe 2 quarts if completely full.  This brings my total amount of crockpots to 6.  DH says I have an addiction.  I told him I don't have enough crockpots yet.  

image.thumb.jpeg.444299a8e3218c9a18c0ea9e047b6717.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4a93e485e2688e4f452865fb15b5d4b8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.acd680fe3b632baadbe834a556e0445c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.25a27c10f5a3fa4bcfa53dc5c56213e4.jpeg

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 8

OMG, Jeepers.  How well I know that feeling.  As in "NOW what?"  "Why does everything have to be such a production?  Care to join me in a song? Sung to the tune of "some day I'm going to murder the bugler" if you remember that old ww2 song...

"Why does everything have to be such a production?

A C@ckS&&king MothrF%^$$cking production?

Its never anything simple (NO!)

Its never anything small (NOPE!)

The sky is always falling down, or else its nothing at all!

Why does everything have to be such a production?

I really, truly, am dying just to know.

Why am I the lucky one,

Who always gets to have the fun

Of having this wierd cr@p dropped on me all the time?_"

I've sung that ditty many times over the years...my husband darn near died laughing the first time he overheard me singing it under my breath.  Specially the cussing part, LOL.  Lordy I miss that man.

You have my sympathies, Jeepers.  And I thought I was floundering with this eye surgery thing.  BTY the first surgery failed.  Next week we move on to laser surgery.  Oh boy, more 250 mile round trips back and forth several times a week.  Man, I am going to have SUCH a tax deduction for medical mileage.  Also in 2 weeks I go see the back doc (a mere 50 miles away) to see what the plan is for my back.  Sheesh.  Things sure get hectic.  Poor Mary is beside herself.  If we are able to get a settlement on the back I will have to get her something extra nice as a thank you.

The garden is popping.  We have delivered romaine lettuce one week, fresh kale the next, and bantam eggs weekly to our happy recipients.  Cucumbers are showing every sign of taking over the greenhouse again, which means we will have grocery sacks full.  Me, I just like having fresh veggies daily.  Collards are coming along nicely.  Onions (the regular kind) and garic are growing nicely, and the topset onions/walking onions are getting very big indeed.  Only things that did not do well were the green bunching onions and the  peas.  We may have been too late getting them in though, here they go in around Jan, and we put them in in late March.  

We know for sure it is spring because we have baby kitties.  They are such cute little things.  There is only one I am worried about, it is solid black and some of our neighbors are superstitious, so we will have to bring it inside for October.  Cute thing though.  We dubbed him "little bear"

Euphrasyne, that metal office cabinet will make a nice faraday cage.  Just put stuff inside in cardboard boxes (to insulate them from metal on metal contact) and ut them on shelves inside.  Shut the door.  Presto!  Might make a handy place to store electronics just in case things get "hot" in this country.  Jest sayin'.  Easy precautions.

Edited by kappydell
selling and addendum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for commiserating Kappy. I'm running out of shoes waiting for the other one to drop. I'm terrified to ask, "what next" because I'm afraid of the answer. But we are strong old women and we will get through all of this crap. If my short term memory wasn't so bad, I'd memorize that song. :grinning-smiley-044:  My humor and my smart-a$$ mouth helps me get through my mess. 

I hope things calm down for you too. Soon.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Kappy hope the next phase of the eye treatmenet is successful. 

Euphrasyne great haul from the garage sales!

Jeepers really frustrated for you and hope that the insurance company does pay you what you are owed for your settlement. 

Mother it is amazing how many scammers there are out there. I'm glad someone has figured out how to beat them at their own game :) I thankfully haven't had as much of a problem lately but then again I almost never answer my phone unless I'm already expecting a call.

I got my tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkin and watermelon planted today. I still have more plants for tomorrow - hoping to get all my peppers in the ground and some more pumpkins and watermelon. I have some interesting varieties I started that I want to grow. Also putting in bush beans from seed tomorrow. Then sit back and see what thrives. I got a good variety of plants started so different kinds of tomatoes. I think I planted 10 tomato plants. I am putting out starts in a box for free to give away this week as I have too many after I offer them to local friends online.

• Like 7

Rode today and nothing weird happened.   Unless you count the fact that the wrangler has only been on the job 8 days.   I met her last Sat.  They only called me in for the ride so she could take me around........  :lol:   and I could tell her which trail to take.  We did the ride pretty fast with just the two of us.  Beautiful day!  :hapydancsmil:

But fresh air/sunshine had me wiped out the rest of the day. 

18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Seriously. I am a pretty nice person and reasonable until someone disrespects or take an attitude with me. Then I can be vicious. No apologies.  So we will see what happens next week. 

Yeah!  This silver head contains a lifetime of dealing with all sorts of people.   :darthduck:     Verbal battles are kinda fun sometimes, yanno?   I've always had a fast mouth...  :engel-smilies-10-1:  not swearing but just POINTING OUT THE OBVIOUS FLAWS IN LOGIC!!!!  :tapfoot:  

OF course I'm very mellow these days......right?  

MtRider   ....hang in there Jeepers!  :thumbs:

• Like 6
On 5/5/2023 at 11:29 PM, Mt_Rider said:

I'm SO glad you found that heart.  How did the detail work on Jeep work out...worth it?

Thanks!  Me too!  And yes, it was worth it to me!

Kappy, I will pray that your next eye surgery is a complete success!

This may be double posted, but I couldn't find the first one.

Already set up my vitamins for the next month.
Church
Pick up a pizza for dinner.
Walk dogs.
Call a couple of friends, this afternoon.
Relaxing day!

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I Yeah!  This silver head contains a lifetime of dealing with all sorts of people.   :darthduck:     Verbal battles are kinda fun sometimes, yanno?   I've always had a fast mouth...  :engel-smilies-10-1:  not swearing but just POINTING OUT THE OBVIOUS FLAWS IN LOGIC!!!!  :tapfoot:  

OF course I'm very mellow these days......right?  

MtRider   ....hang in there Jeepers!  :thumbs:

Thanks, I'm hanging. I used to manage a 'service desk' and cash registers in a department store way back in the day. I've dealt with all kinds of people too. I don't swear when I'm defending myself either. I figure if I do that they will think I have a lower IQ and then I won't be taken seriously. Swearing isn't my first line of defense. Believe it or not, I can be calm, slow and deliberate and stare a person straight in the eyes. Especially when I'm angry. My scary old woman face goes blank. Now I use it in conjunction with the "S" card. Although that doesn't carry as much weight as my blank stare. :mellow:  LOL

I still have nearly all of my brown hair so I don't look my age (or so I've been told) and I still walk in fast mode (like my grandma did). My few gray hairs I have look like highlights. So I think, at first glance, I probably pass for my 50's. Closer look at wrinkles, age spots and sagging skin, gives it away though.  

Last week my almost 40 year old lawn guy called me, "spry for my age."  :24:   He also calls me Sweetie. Of course I pay him big bucks to cut my grass and I'm about to fork out even more for landscaping so that could account for most of that.  :grinning-smiley-044:  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 5/6/2023 at 3:12 AM, Jeepers said:

Then came the icing on the cake. The reason my adjustor hasn't called back is because he no longer works there. WHAT. No one told me that. That's why no one is calling me back. I had no adjustor working for me. I have a new one now. So, the new guy did call me back within a half hour and said he was sorry...  :blah:  and will get on it right away. We'll see. I went in the office being pleasant and polite but when the agent took an attitude, I lit up. He made me mad and I'm still salty over that one.  In the end, I told the agent and the adjustor that I want MY money so I can pay my contractor to get started. I called my contractor right away and he is going to call the new guy. Seriously. I am a pretty nice person and reasonable until someone disrespects or take an attitude with me. Then I can be vicious. No apologies.  So we will see what happens next week. 

I know a store for you to shop in for T-Shirts and just in time for Mother's Day at that - Buy 3 get 1 free!   https://pumapat.com/ 

Here are some examples that are just "you." ;) Would you actually wear them? I have no idea, but they sure do express what you've been posting about recently. :grinning-smiley-044:

1.JPG.f6019aa9834c67c38134e112f2ef5e4e.JPG  1f2d956b9ff12f050727c906edba43ee_90fbc4e1-d362-42a1-bf17-3034c47b4de6_360x.jpg.6539442357486ef003339adb96ab6560.jpg   95b39ba075a0206ac9feb783f3dbeca1_20ee0570-e4fd-46ce-af9b-31944bbdcbc8_360x.jpg.1ff0ed4fcf5e60c64dca05f5e12afdc3.jpg

95c9120d67c01cf680906dc266bcc876_360x.jpg.16a94726a50f8268f4b6b0a928bd14b5.jpg  973f09a56bba880794d002966f859fad_36c3ac3a-9b1f-43bc-bc5f-cc1e90bc5606_360x.jpg.d3fde44e9968f6f2b59d808fd51c46f9.jpg   09484133175fa6c8e7a7095d3d89c370_6e09f4d6-e56b-4c55-ae76-e0e2b2add170_360x.webp.0f795d2e727d88f7694d36e63dafe1eb.webp

:whistling:  :bouquet:  :girlneener:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Midnight mom, I think we could all find a tea shirt in that category. Those are so cute.  I was looking at the baby clothes in there and found a couple of things for the great grandbaby. I ordered those.  

Kappy, I hope your next eye or laser surgery is a success. It's a lot of doctor visits but hopefully will pay off for much better eyesight.  :pray:

Euphrasyne, That was a great haul. Good finds. 

Jeepers, I had to read what you said about the insurance twice. I can't believe they never bothered to call you about the guy leaving the company. And all this time you have been waiting to get things done. That was just wrong. But hopefully now things will start moving along. I know you are really anxious to get the job finished and the house sold as quickly as possible. 

Been working in yard for past 3 days.  potatoes are now in and working on planting the blueberry bush and strawberries. Think I found a place to plant the watermelon. Just hope that works out as I have never planted those before. First time for everything. After all that is done, I will see how much room I have to plant more seeds. Then I can rework my herb garden to work better for me. 

Need to do a little shopping in the near future. The baby shower will be down the street from me in August and I need to get my plans together. I have somethings for her but going to see what else I want to do. She has a crib she got free from her best friend as she is expecting also and was given 3 brand new cribs from different family members. 

Was helping GS find an apartment but it is not easy in his price range. But working on it. DD said maybe an in law suite or a room for rent. Nope nothing in that category. He wants to stay in the Suffolk area and there isn't a lot here to work with in his price range of $1200. For that price there should be something somewhere around here.  I am hoping to get him out of bed next Sat. and we going looking at what's out there. The internet isn't always the answer. Sometimes you just have to get out and look for one. Not even anything in the newspaper.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We just had a brief earthquake here.  While discussing it with a friend, I was kindly advised to always keep a bag by the door with cash, copies of my documents, and water.

How sweet of him to lay this out for an old lady like me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

I know a store for you to shop in for T-Shirts and just in time for Mother's Day at that - Buy 3 get 1 free!   https://pumapat.com/ 

Here are some examples that are just "you." ;) Would you actually wear them? I have no idea, but they sure do express what you've been posting about recently. :grinning-smiley-044:

1.JPG.f6019aa9834c67c38134e112f2ef5e4e.JPG  1f2d956b9ff12f050727c906edba43ee_90fbc4e1-d362-42a1-bf17-3034c47b4de6_360x.jpg.6539442357486ef003339adb96ab6560.jpg   95b39ba075a0206ac9feb783f3dbeca1_20ee0570-e4fd-46ce-af9b-31944bbdcbc8_360x.jpg.1ff0ed4fcf5e60c64dca05f5e12afdc3.jpg

95c9120d67c01cf680906dc266bcc876_360x.jpg.16a94726a50f8268f4b6b0a928bd14b5.jpg  973f09a56bba880794d002966f859fad_36c3ac3a-9b1f-43bc-bc5f-cc1e90bc5606_360x.jpg.d3fde44e9968f6f2b59d808fd51c46f9.jpg   09484133175fa6c8e7a7095d3d89c370_6e09f4d6-e56b-4c55-ae76-e0e2b2add170_360x.webp.0f795d2e727d88f7694d36e63dafe1eb.webp

:whistling:  :bouquet:  :girlneener:

These are fun to consider, but I prefer not to warn people.

Sometimes they get to find out firsthand.

• Haha 5

:lol:   Already BTDT, huh Ambergris?   Hope the earthquakes don't get too ambitious!  Have you located a place to stand/sit where nothing like buildings/trees/fencing would fall on you?  

Well, I pushed hard several days this past week.  Rode yesterday.  Today  :0327:    But I still have more clearing to do for the electrician to access ALL the outlets that have been out for 2 months.  Thankful that in the bedroom, the 2 outlets are behind big wall units.  Shelves on the top and cabinets underneath -- however, there is no back on the cabinets so clear those shelves and the outlet is accessible!  :amen: 

Course when I arrived home from packing up Mom's house for months, .....well, some of that stuff is still there.  Some is in totes tho....  Mostly I have to [once again] try on multiple pairs of jeans and shorts to see which fits NOW....and put the rest in less accessible location.   {in order to make less accessible locations, I need to go thru whole closet hangers and REDUCE! 

MtRider  ....with the NEVER ENDING STORY.....  Oye! 

• Like 4

Middle of my front yard...major problem would be if the hillside went liquid, but there'd be nothing to do but surf if that happened.

• Sad 4
4 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Oh heck yeah I'd wear all of the tee shirts! All except for the first one. I often tell G-son to "Buckle up Buttercup" in the car. I don't want him flipping my witch switch...yet.

Ambergris, it was really nice of him to try to explain that you might need to keep a bag handy by the door. Who knew!  :008Laughing:

• Like 4

Great shirts :laughkick: If I wore shirts with words on them some of these would be perfect.

Today I planted peppers in the garden then got a bunch of stuff done inside when the storm blew through. Much cooler now. I have 2 weeks before my trip to Oregon so lots to get done before we leave. Got the air conditioners down from the attic and will start putting them into the windows. Moved a rug and one of the fridges downstairs for my friend to use when she moves in. Finished hanging a painting I've been meaning to put up. Got my seeds organized for later in the season in 2 small plastic shoeboxes. They are the perfect size for that the seed packets are just the right height to fit in on their sides. One for the things I've already planted, and one for the things I'm planting when I get back.  I am getting excited about my garden. I can't harvest them this year but my asparagus bed put up some shoots already! :hapydancsmil:

• Like 5

I love those t-shirts @Midnightmom!

Glad you had another good ride and are going to get your electric issues dealt with @Mt_Rider!

I sure hope you can take a short break @Littlesister!  I know it will be short if you have a garden going.

I hope that your garden goes gangbusters @Becca_Anne!  I know you are putting in the work.

This morning, I will walk first.
Already have laundry going.
Must kill weeds (again).
Ready a lick tub to plant potatoes in.
Then what?  You all have a good week!

• Like 2

Was to wet to work the gardens this morning. But will be working on them in a little while. Going to plant the blueberry bush I had to replace and plant the strawberries. They are already getting up to a good size now. So need to get them in ground today. I am trying a watermelon plant also and will be getting that in ground as well. I hope I can grow one as this will be the first time growing watermelon. Cleaned kitchen this morning and washed 3 loads of clothes. Did some dusting and mopping as well. GS did help me weed out the flower bed where the blueberry bushes are though. At least that was something. 

Euphrasyne, We have already gone through those apartments on that site. GS doesn't say much about it. He got up at 12:30 today but not really looking into apartments and he leaves at 3 to go to work. I really don't think he is looking and he knows his time here is short. Wondering if he thinks I am going to cave and let him stay. Nope not happening. I let his mother and him talk me into letting him stay till first of July so he can get car payed off and get a new one. That never happened either as he just lied about all of that to both his mother and me. So out he goes on street the end of the month if there is no apartment. He can get a hotel room or something. But not staying here for me to clean up behind him and destroying my property. 

• Like 4