MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My grandmother passed away

It came as no surprise; Grandma was on an obvious decline. She died peacefully, surrounded and cared for by family. She was a good woman and I have no doubt of where she is now.

Aside from being sad to see her go, I'm also a bit sad because the family has lost its locus point- everyone converged on Grandma's at the holidays. Now we have to figure the next rendezvous point (can't be my place; I live Far Away).

I doubt people really think about this factor when the family matriarch/patriarch is on their way out. I would suggest discussing it so the planning of the next family holiday doesn't seem as strange.

It has also thrown in my face how I haven't built any strong connections in recent years after moving Away. I need to work on that.

I am so sorry for your loss...It is always hard to lose a beloved family meber. You raise a good point about the holidays. I know that it is an issue in my family. My guess is that my house would be the obvious choice, but you never know what people are thinking until you talk it over with them.

So sorry about your grandmother. :hug3: I hope your family can find a way to keep holidays alive. My mom's family holidays fell apart when she went in the nursing home. No one had a house big enough or wanted the responsiblity. I lived too far away to take it over, so they quit having holidays 15 years before she died. :(

so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I still remember vividly the day my grandmother died and getting the call while at work. It is never easy to loose a beloved family member, I will keep you and your family in my prayers

I hope it doesn't sound empty to say I'm sorry. I've been through the loss of grandparents 3 times over and it's never easy. At least part of the sting was removed by her peaceful departure surrounded by family. It always seems more poignant that we haven't build and solid roots when we lose someone. I find myself in a similar place now, without 'roots' so to speak. Hugs and comfort to you.

It came as no surprise; Grandma was on an obvious decline. She died peacefully, surrounded and cared for by family. She was a good woman and I have no doubt of where she is now.