MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Got both gardens tilled and planted in the last two days. One in front yard and one in back both about 12 X 40. Had to fence the back one to keep dogs out. Will plant Contender Green Bush beans today and then wait for the Cherry tomato starts to grow.

I hope to take it easy and just do some eBay listing today and maybe make some biscuits or some kind of baking.
Our Church is live streaming at 10:30 and I hope to have exercise videos done by then.

• Like 4

Stormy weather.

Power keep flickering off and back on due to the high winds. Trying to get ready for work. Power loss equals water loss in the country. Might be tough to look "professional" today.

One prep we had intended to get but finances got in the way: a concrete storm shelter. This is why stormy weather always makes me feel a bit anxious -- we don't really have a safe place to ride out nasty storms. Somehow, some way, I hope we can get one, sooner rather than later. DH was going to build one, to save money, but he never got around to it before he got sick.

:pray: :twister3:

• Sad 3

Yesterday we added a few cans to the larder and a few more plants to the garden.  Today I worked on updating the inventory and some yardwork and gardening with the new plants.  We are rearranging the inventory a bit to be less visible.  

My mother and grandmother always told me that thunder was the devil beating his wife and the rain was her tears.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

I stayed in all day. I was tempted to go shopping but will go tomorrow. I don't like to shop on the weekend. I know I'll end up getting more canning jar lids. Sigh, they have become my newest obsession. Hopefully Wal-Mart still has some half gallon jars too.

If I was a hairdresser right now I'd offer to cut hair in someone's back yard. Everyone must wear a mask. I'd pay! Cash. I'd be Mobil Tressie driving my Tress Mobile. Got stress, call Tress. I think my hair is bothering me simply because I can't go get it cut. I'd be very happy with a straight bob...bob hair cut. Not Bug Out Bag. Or Water Bob. Bob's your uncle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have long hair that I usually braid. I usually get it cut twice per year, but I somehow haven’t got around to getting it cut in ... gee, we’ll over a year. I was going to get it cut this spring. Guess that won’t be happening for awhile! But I sure like the idea of Tress Mobile. :lol:

• Like 3

Mine will probably get buzzed again soon.  I told the priest who has chemo that I'm using his impending hair loss as an excuse to buzz mine (conservative church...the ladies are very against me buzzing it without good reason).

• Like 4

DH buzzed his today.  Easiest way to make sure it's even all over.  :lol:   I like it better when it's grown out a bit tho.  So glad I got mine cut in mid Feb.  But it grows fast.  Long enough to get it into a short ponytail.  Very short tail but then it doesn't get in my eyes when I was chopping onions.  :o  

Did a walk today....2nd day in a row and ....the weather was NOT inspiring like yesterday.  So dark/dreary that I wore my blaze orange vest to be visible on the road.  Pleased to be able to bring car down and back up tho.  That helps to eliminate the HILL! 

Breathe deeply of Fresh Air.  New Motto. 

MtRider   :bounce: 

• Like 3

We bagged 10 dozen eggs for our freezer.  We did that a couple of years ago when we found eggs in bulk.  Then roughed up one of our raised beds so we can plant potatoes tomorrow.  It's a 4x12 and we still have another 4x12 that we will work up.  We've let that bed rest now for 2 years and that soil is like black gold!  The earthworms were almost 3" long and as fat as a pencil!  Felt so good to work in the dirt and sun...even had to put on my straw hat :)  My radishes are up and smiling so I transferred them to a longer pot and set it in the kitchen window at the homestead.  I mainly wanted to see if these seeds were viable since they were about 3 years old and purchased for a penny when Dollar General was selling off their summer inventory.

The lettuce isn't up yet nor the tomatoes...but they'll be coming along I bet.  I pulled some greens off my wild onions (not the walking ones) ...I planted onion bulbs several years ago and let some of them just go to seed.  Then pulled the tops off some of my garlic chives.  Also a few Dandelion leaves...left the flowers for the bees...and a few leaves from the Dock.  The Comfrey is up and looking great and the Elderberry runs are looking good too.

Then home for a Krazy Krust pizza night.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TheCG said:

Mine will probably get buzzed again soon.  I told the priest who has chemo that I'm using his impending hair loss as an excuse to buzz mine (conservative church...the ladies are very against me buzzing it without good reason).

Tell them that new flea collar you bought just isn't doing the job this time. Or maybe its the bedbugs. Start scratching and see how far they back up. Bet they'll think a buzz cut would look pretty fetching on you after all.  :animal0017:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

DH shaves his head. Got tired of the receding hairline years ago. If he let it grow he’d have a ring of hair around his lower head. Looks MUCH better bald.

• Like 5

Walked first thing this morning. Third load of laundry is started now--washing all bed sheets, blankets and dog blankets. Put flea meds on all dogs last night.

Started Black eyed peas with turkey sausage in the slow cooker, took eBay photos (of clothes, not the dinner), made chocolate hummus (which is amazing!). Still need to make corn bread and do another 2 loads of laundry (and re-make beds).

Cherry tomatoes that I started last week are up. Hope to keep them alive until transplant time.

• Like 4

I stayed in today. Mostly because I fell asleep. Tomorrow I want to go granny shopping for some fresh fruit, veg and some bread. Also some buns for Sloppy Joes I have canned up. Buns make good toast too. Especially garlic toast. Also get some more ink for the printer. I have two bags of trash to get rid of. Then drop some bills off at the post office drop box. Jeep insurance is due plus utilities etc. Then top off the Jeep with gas. I paid off my charge cards on line last night so if I have to order anything from Amazon or Wal-Mart I can. And then I plan to shelter in for awhile. Kinda feels like the last push. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, TheCG said:

He told me I'm not allowed to buzz mine until he buzzes his (which won't be until his hair starts falling out).

Hubby said he'd buzz his in solidarity.  Fr. said he appreciates the sacrifice (hubby already shaves his head...).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Worked in the garden again today.  Planted the first raised bed with Russet's while hubby worked up the 2nd bed.  It's going to need some work before I can plant the red potatoes.  I filled two compost barrels and half of another with the green and brown's from his weeding and me clipping the dead stuff that had grown up through the blocks. 

The radishes are looking pretty good considering the age of the seeds and the transplant I did on them! LOL  When I can harvest them I'll just add some more potting soil and plant some more.  They seem to really like the homestead's kitchen window...I do to!  It's just about 2 feet above the counter/sink and they go just about all the way to the top of the ceiling.  Same way with the  "vintage" kitchen cabinets.  All the way to the top of the ceiling....so much more storage than these modern pre-fab ones. 

The Mayor "finally" closed the city's park playgrounds!  We can still walk, bike, take our dogs for a walk and fish in the two that have lakes, but no playground or shelters.  Said if people didn't observe the order, he'd have to shut the parks down completely.  Hopefully some of these knot heads will listen!

• Like 5
On 3/26/2020 at 11:29 PM, Mt_Rider said:

WE2....didn't you try those tubs with some hydration technique....some guy on a vid?  If it worked for you, do you have that link or the name.  Might be something we could do.  Hate to be starting with new systems when it really counts. 

Dont feel bad, Mr Rider....I am seriously thinking of stopping my PT for a while, and I am doing very well there, but I am high risk.  Starting to get worried a bit. 

And the self watering tubs are on "gardening with leon" you-tubes.  He does all sizes of pots, with all kinds of recycled materials, and also how to do various veggies in pots.  Very educational.  We got more pots on sale (the fake half barrels) and will be making all of them self wicking. 

We tried them last year, Mary thought I was nuts.  But they worked so well she is eager to do more of them this year.  I am eyeing the kitty litter pails for smaller self-watering pots, each will hold 1 tomato or 1 pepper....pole beans in pots I have also had success with, except (LOL) I kept having to upright then because the wind would blow over the pots with poles in them.  Didnt hurt the plants any, just kinda amusing.....they grew horizontally almost as much as vertically, LOL.    The kitty litter square pails will hold several pepsi cans (or bottles) as water & air reservoirs same as the big tubs have, and are all recycled.  I just cant beat that price!  (Green Acres, indeed!!)  The only real expense is for potting soil and last year I had a huge surplus of peat moss & perlite so I can mix my own this year.

Cowgirl, I also want a tornado shelter....safesheds.com has some nice above ground ones engineered to F5 and they do financing.  The thing that impressed me were the videos of the shelter that took a direct hit from an EF4 and had a pickup truck wrapped around it.  The owner of the shed (he got one for his business) said folks were astonished to see his employees emerge from what looked like a garden shed unscathed amid all the rubble.....too bad he didnt get video of the looks on their faces!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, kappydell said:

gardening with leon

We've got the mineral containers and the square juice bottles ready for gardening!  We're planting potatoes in two of the raised beds.  We'll row plant the Okra and pole beans.  Just about everything else will go into the containers even though we still have four more raised beds that we need to work up.  Those had the wood side rails and are just about gone.  We'll do the concrete blocks for them...yes, I know...some people frown on that but it works so beautifully for us.  We need to cut the old canes from the blackberries and raspberries and cut some new starts to transplant someplace else.  Those beds would just be in our way.

He has several videos...some with the large mineral buckets, some with 5-gal buckets.  We've done both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqYmRmJrHo

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WE2s wrote: We've got the mineral containers 

I am jealous!  This is not cattle country, so when I hunt for mineral containers I just get blank looks.  Those half-barrel planters were on sale last spring when I saw leons' You Tubes, so we tried those and we are sold.  I love his video esp the part about using other recycled containers....I just KNEW those kitty litter pails would be good for something!  I was impressed by his videos - not only does he remind me of my late truck farming uncle in demeanor, he really knows his stuff.  If my recycle center allowed trash picking Id have lots of used big pots, but no such luck....the dumpsters are monitored and 'freecycling' is strictly a no-no.  Ditto with used tires for a potato tower.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, kappydell said:

Dont feel bad, Mr Rider....I am seriously thinking of stopping my PT for a while, and I am doing very well there, but I am high risk.  Starting to get worried a bit.

Yes, you are high risk, Kappy.  Do what you feel is safe.  Any chance of doing a teleconference-PT with them.  Now and then so they can see if you're doing things correctly on your own?  Or give you new exercises?  You wouldn't have any of their cool machines and devices but ....  Timing is just a bit off for your recovery....glad you were out of hospital/rehab tho!!!!  :amen: 

Thanks Kappy and WE2.....I'm going to watch that guy again.  Can't clearly remember what he did but I think that might counteract the SEVERE arid conditions we have here.  And we really don't have to worry about mosquitoes and standing water.  Just need to see it and get the idea.  I LOVE recycled things....tho maybe they are not so uniform and tidy.  This year is a survival year so who cares anyway?  DH will see just how far my tendency to be the "PackRat with Purpose" will get us.  :lol: 

Today was dreary and  :sigh:  SNOWING again.  Not really enough to stick.  Just enough to hide the sun again.  But DH, dog and I went down the road [in car] to mailboxes, then to the library to drop off DVDs.  They'd told him to just put them in drop box during the time they'd be closed for COVID.  Drop box was locked so he'll keep them til ......whenever.  But we took dog to nearby park.  She and I got into some SUPER STICKY MUD.  I had to stop and scrape some off boots cuz they were getting too heavy for me to walk.  It was snowing and a bit windy but .....quite enjoyable to be out somewhere.  No one else was out there.  :hapydancsmil:  Came home and did our safety routine - disposing of envelopes from mail and washing hands.  Wish I could get my dad's mail and get his bills to him.  :scratchhead:  

Late in the day, the sun came out for a couple hours.  That was nice.  Hope to see more of it ....melt the snow.  Maybe we can begin to set up the gardening table in basement?  Dig out the old seeds and hope we have some luck with them.....tho they're older than WE2's radishes.  :lol:    Worth a try even if we only get a small percentage to grow.  They've always been in cool/cold basement.  :lois:  

But first....there is more clearing of old canned goods, etc from that area of basement.  Time to get busy with that....if my energy will hold.

MtRider  ....trying to stay up past 2AM....on purpose to have free Internet usage and watch Leon!  :lois: 

• Like 5

Going to do less today than past 4 days! Getting the 2 gardens worked and planted plus all the cooking did me in and sheet, blanket washing and bed making.

Today, just regular laundry and eBay. May take a day off walking and exercising. Rest!  And now, to watch Gardening with Leon!

• Like 4

Busy day yesterday.  Mowed and edged the front lawn.  Then cleaned house and did most of the laundry.  Made some camomile peppermint tea.  Went to the P.O. and had to dodge people that weren’t heeding the social distancing, got a couple scowls and ‘humph’ from a couple of people. I don’t care if I hurt their feelings.

We were notified yesterday that the prison here has the virus.  :shakinghead:  

DH’s friend came over to get supplies.  I gave him some Greek oregano branches and several volunteer tomatillo plants.  Couldn’t give him eggs, because I had already given a couple dozen to our neighbors.  One lady, in her late 70’s hadn’t been able to find any, and she was the one that gave us 3 doz. bread sticks & two pounds of fresh broccoli.  

Oh, I changed insurance companies, all our policies.  And, the payment is lower.:amen:

We wanted to go kayak fishing today, but Game & Fish has closed the lakes.  DH really, really wants to get out of the house for a day.  Take a break from all the craziness.  Mom will have her personal protection and the big dogs to keep her safe.  

I had the feeling to fill the minor holes in our supplies last week, DH didn’t think it was necessary, at that time, but, now is glad I did.  We went on line to order TP, earliest delivery date....May!  Wow.  Then, on the news last night, they said the Amazon workers walked off their jobs...  that’s just gonna make things worse than they already are.  Most of the grocery stores are hiring stock clerks.  

Stay safe everyone.  

• Like 6

Annarchy, so glad you got your insurance company changed!

I got most of my running around done today. Got bills dropped off at the P.O. I went to the library to drop off about a dozen CD's. I knew the library was closed but I thought the drop box would be open. Nope. But they are waiving all fines. I don't have to pay fines anyway because I'm old. I just hope I don't forget about them.

I went to Target. Their food section looked very sparse. A lot of empty spaces. I did find a few things to fill in the holes though. I got some carrots, celery apples and mandarin oranges to munch on. No alcohol but plenty of Witch Hazel. I heard that was good for spray bottles. Not sure about that so I only bought two. I heard one of the best things to have for the virus is one of those oximeters that measures your pulse and oxygen level. The kind you stick your finger in. I've had one for years and I do use it every now and then. Anyway, I saw them at Target and got one for son. It was $34.00. A little steep I thought but I can't imagine they will come down in price any time soon. Amazon is probably sold out. I didn't wait to come home to check. Wish I would have thought to get another blood pressure machine. The Velcro on mine is not as strong as it once was and doesn't always hold. Time to start a new list. While I was in the check out line a guy and girl came up right behind me and the check out girl told them to get back behind the line on the floor! He was only there for a second. She was on the ball. The guy and girl had a mask on so I assume he just forgot. I heard him say "sorry about that" as I was walking out.

I went back to the drug store for more canning jar lids. There are still quite a few left but I could see where someone else has been buying them too. All together I got 20 boxes of regular and 20 boxes of wide mouth. With what I already had, I think I have enough. There are still some left. I might check back in a week or so. I don't want to empty the shelf but if no one else wants them I do.

Went to Wal-Mart for a box of half gallon jars. They were out of them. I might go to the other WM near me tomorrow to see. I didn't look around. I went to the canning section and left. They didn't have any jar lids.

• Like 4