MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Still a bit early for us to get garden in but getting ready this weekend to start indoor seeds.  Still have to get that greenhouse up. So going to see if SIL is able to help me this weekend.  Need to get some roots dug up as well. I am going to try it to see if I can do it but those bushes were huge. The stumps are also huge. 

Didn't get the potatoes canned as DH took over kitchen to make deviled eggs.  He takes over the whole kitchen when he cooks. :gaah: Yes I am the one that has to clean up his mess when he is done. 

Fixed a large dinner tonight as it was slim pickings using up the left overs for a few days and trying to get other things done to get ready for having to stay home.  Pork roast, brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes and gravy and squash casserole. Got the kitchen cleaned up and DH is asleep in his chair in den. So potatoes will be canned in the morning. 

Granddaughter text me and she is not feeling well. Woke up with a stomach virus last night. Her DH had to go to a 7-11 to buy pepto bismol and Dramamine at midnight last night.  She is feeling better now but very tired and sore from trimming the blackberry bushes and other yard work and trying to unpack and put things away.  I think she is trying to do to much at one time. She is determined to get a garden going. That was a long 3000 mile trip, then in hotel for 2 weeks, then to house and then running out to try to buy food.  Then the furniture comes and she has been go, go, go. Wish I was there to help her out. but that is impossible. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Took a bit of a ride with hubby this afternoon, to the bank and then he needed to help his friend/customer get his little trailer hooked up to his truck so he could go get a little garden tractor he had bought.  Felt good to be out in the sun.  Because our van is too tall to go under the bank's drive through (that's all that's open) we had to park and walk and "stand" in line...LOL  A very nice lady let us step in front of her car.  Anyway, it was nice to get some fresh air and sunshine.

Got a call from son..."got any sketti noodles mom?"  I gave him several packages of ramen noodles and told him the well was dry.  That he had food stamps and two pantry's to eat from and had better learn to eat some of the foods they gave him.  He wanted to "trade" us cucumbers.  Nope...we just don't eat them. Told him we were eating our own foods that we had set back for such a time as this.  I absolutely do NOT want to let him know I have a stocked pantry!  After all the vicious and hateful things he said to me and about me last year, I am not going to let my guard down any more.  He's not to be trusted.  I have forwarded several videos of how to do container gardening etc., so he'd better get off his duff and get something growing for himself.  

It's bad news on our pickup.  Looks like it's the engine.  "IF" we can find a replacement engine and someone to drop it in, it will still cost us over 1000$...and we don't have it.  So...it will be saving back every dime we can get our hands on from here on now...and again, eating what we grow and can buy cheap.  

Finally figured out a way I could prop the front of my dryer up and get my clothes dried here (without going to the homestead) in small loads.  Just have to check on it and make sure the gasket is tucked in tightly and nothing gets hooked on a fin.  THEN...the washer scooted out of balance with a full load of water/face cloths...so hubby (very unwillingly...and tired...and stressed) had to bail the water out so he could level it up and get it to spin out.  I went and had myself a good cry!  Don't do that often, but it just came caving in I guess.

I'm okay now...just needed to vent it. :yar:Hubby took our Abby-girl for a walk so she could stretch her legs.  She and I both have a real case of cabin fever!  I can't take her for a walk myself during the day because I can't get her control collar on and off her...and I can't handle her otherwise.  About a year ago I got it on her and then when I was getting it off, my finger got caught between the links.  Scared me out of my wits!  So glad she just sat very quietly while I talked to her and worked myself out of my predicament!  So I'll never do that again.  My fingers are just not strong enough and she hates the Holt collar.  Besides, I just haven't felt safe out walking by myself even with her, and especially not now.  But I may start putting on her Holt anyway and just walking around the block a few times.

• Sad 8

It's good to have a good cry when you need to. A good stress relief. I've been that way too. I tell myself to just go sit down and have a good cry to get it out of my system and then forget about it and get on with what ever needs to be done. Holding it in hurts worse than letting it out. I bawl, say a few choice words and say, "Okay Jeepers, that's enough. Pity party is over for now. Pull up them big girl panties and get on with it." 

I don't really call myself Jeepers. But I do talk to myself. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

So sorry you're having Troubles, WE2s.  :pray:  for God's provision for your needs!! 

Didn't sleep enough again....cuz I go to bed late and woke up FREEZING at 8am.  Pulled up the down comforter.  Got warm but didn't get to sleep.  :sigh:   Took nap later tho.  Slow to get going but didn't feel too bad after the exertions yesterday.  DH made breakfast...I wasn't moving yet.  I opened up both doors and aired the house [it really wasn't that cold by then] while DH/dog were out for a walk.  VERY windy!  I sanitized the left side of counters.  Had to put a large container of baking powder into different container.  Odd little things. 

DH made tube biscuits and country sausage/gravy.  EZ and good.  Talked to MN friend with 105 yr old mom...who is home from hospital and doing better.  A little weaker than she was 2 wks ago but improving with some in-house P.T.   They have medical folks at their house so they aren't completely locked down.  D goes thru pick-up at Walmart. 

She and I laughed over her excited comment while preparing her Walmart pick-up order:  They don't have a run on gravy!  I asked her....wouldn't that comment have been totally WEIRD just a few weeks ago?  :rolleyes:   She bought a jar in each flavor!  

My mom and I talked....I was reading her some recipes like No Knead Bread and Homemade Toffee/chocolate/nut bars.  We might both try making something like that.  Esp. the simple bread.  Get geared up for when DH can't find any at store.  DH makes wonderful bread....the kneading in breadmaker then rising kind.  Long ago, I won ribbons at the fair for bread.  :) 

MtRider    :offtobed:  

• Like 6

When you think you are prepared.... the unexpected happens.

DH lost 1/2 of a filled molar.  The dentist took him, which was a blessing, however, he called me..  the cost to repair it was almost $1,000.!!!  to be paid in advance. :0327:The shock made my chest hurt & gave me a stomach ache.  

On the bright side of life, a neighbor gave us 6 dozen bread sticks, 6 bundles of fresh broccoli, and a bag of lemons, she brought home a case of each, left over from the food bank distribution.  Chopped, blanched and froze the broccoli and vacuum sealed and froze the bread.  

Just trying to entertain and take care of DH & MIL and the Dee-oh-geez.  

Here’s Storm, entertaining himself... DH said, “...taste the rainbow...”. :grinning-smiley-044:

4BDB49EE-268A-4C19-B99B-820855213949.jpeg

And the camomile is taking over the spice garden and the lawn...

DH got me a bag of fava beans, non-GMO heirloom.  Started a batch soaking yesterday, I need to turn the soil to be able to plant a couple of rows.  Plus, transplant the volunteer tomatillo plants, in that area.  

• Like 10

Hubby got a call from his work.  They're cutting salaries, have no idea about other incentives they've been doing, or how exactly he's going to be paid.

I ran the projections, and we're fine through April even without any extras being paid and him at half-salary.

*crosses fingers*

• Sad 7
1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

When you think you are prepared.... the unexpected happens.

DH lost 1/2 of a filled molar.  The dentist took him, which was a blessing, however, he called me..  the cost to repair it was almost $1,000.!!!  to be paid in advance. :0327:The shock made my chest hurt & gave me a stomach ache.  

On the bright side of life, a neighbor gave us 6 dozen bread sticks, 6 bundles of fresh broccoli, and a bag of lemons, she brought home a case of each, left over from the food bank distribution.  Chopped, blanched and froze the broccoli and vacuum sealed and froze the bread.  

Just trying to entertain and take care of DH & MIL and the Dee-oh-geez.  

Here’s Storm, entertaining himself... DH said, “...taste the rainbow...”. :grinning-smiley-044:

4BDB49EE-268A-4C19-B99B-820855213949.jpeg

And the camomile is taking over the spice garden and the lawn...

DH got me a bag of fava beans, non-GMO heirloom.  Started a batch soaking yesterday, I need to turn the soil to be able to plant a couple of rows.  Plus, transplant the volunteer tomatillo plants, in that area.  

That's when I started saying "How much to pull it?"

16 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

That's when I started saying "How much to pull it?"

Oh, he did, ‘...probably not much less...’ and it would need to be done by an oral surgeon.  Had to put it on a credit card.  The tooth was broken down below the gum line.  

UPS man told us to sanitize our deliveries, a man at the distribution center in Phx. tested positive.  I have a small bucket with Lysol solution and a rag, which I am using on everything.

Storm soaking up the sunshine... 

B19E9742-00D5-4AA8-9AD4-95AC1F4A01C5.jpeg

• Like 6

Went granny shopping, getting up at 6 am to get to store by 7 am.  Haven't been awake at that hour (unless I stayed up overnight) for quite a while.  Was moving pretty slowly, so I did not make the store (Krogers) until 7:15.  I was astonished at how many folks were there, at least 100, and enough to form long lines at 3 checkout lanes and use ALL the self checkouts besides.

But!  I got almost everything we had on our list.  The meat area was busy, but employees were standing by with cartloads of meats, refilling displays as soon as they were emptied.  Only 3 items had to be substituted for, and I found adequate substitutes.  Even at two packages per person I was able to get some hamburger for our prepping friend who was out of it.  Still no hand sanitizer anywhere in town, but I did get two large bottles of Palmolive antibacterial dish soap (has chlorhexadine in it) to use in our showers as a body wash.  Why dish soap?  No antibacterial liquid soap was available, and h]the few bars that were there were super expensive, and dish soap rinses clean in a reasonable amount of time, so it should work on a body as well as a plate.  

Snoozed until Physical Therapy time - had new exercises, and wow, they hurt to do!  Not a "damage" hurt but a muscle complaining due to exertion hurt.  I guess if its hurtin, its workin.  I take on as much as I can because I do not know how long I will be able to get PT, an I take copious mental notes on the exercises & stretches just in case I have to go it alone.  

Now its time for more snoozing.  Chainsaw Mary has a birthday today, so she gets her favorite dinner: grilled porterhouse steak, mac salad and sliced fresh tomatoes.  

• Like 7
On 3/25/2020 at 7:13 AM, dogmom4 said:

Today I’m actually going back to work

How did that go, Dogmom?

...heading for the feed store soon, potting soil forgotten and we don't have 'dirt' in these mountains..  :buttercup:  But wait!  We DO have a lot of well-composted stuff from the horses.  No new stuff added for ....almost 6 months.

MtRider  :amen: 

• Like 4

Sorry to hear of economic hits for Annarchys and the CGs....  :pray:  that ways and means will be found!  All of our lives are changing! 

:happy0203:  Taste the Rainbow pic is a precious SMILE for today!  :hugs3:  Thanks for that Annarchy.  That boy will be a real asset to you...and US!  :hapydancsmil:

:balloons:  Happy Birthday Chainsaw Mary a.k.a. Warrior Woman  :balloons: 

Granny Hours to get meat.....good move, obviously.  Glad it was successful.  :pray: for good [fast] progress with Kappy's P.T. and recovery.

...the local newspaper and store sales paper are flapping in the WIND  :clothesline:    UV light and time will sanitize what can't be wetted.

MtRider  :cakeslice: 

• Like 5

I need to build a new garden bed this year also, to add to the garden — figure we’ll need the extra food. Fortunately we also have poop factories, aka horse and chickens. I need to pump up the wheelbarrow tire and hope it will hold air so I can shovel some aged manure and compost for the new bed. 

• Like 4

I had a panic attack this morning and a meltdown; it was not pretty.  When I finally managed to move past it, we made a grocery run to Walmart and BJs.   I managed to stock up on most of what was missing in my stock, and things for celebrations coming up in the next two weeks: anniversary,  DD turns 12, and Easter.   I had no frosting and very little powdered sugar so I got plenty of both.  I could have made powdered sugar in the food processor but that takes forever and tends to overheat the blades a bit.   So now I have 12 pounds from BJs in the pantry.  

We also managed to find a box of 400ct latex gloves,  some protein shakes, 25 lb of jasmine rice, more dried beans, 2 1200 ct boxes of BABY WIPES :engel-smilies-10-1:(*Hallelujah Chorus going through my head* I use them for cleaning), 2 dozen half gallon mason jars, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff.   We were unable to find TP anywhere.  I'm glad we have plenty from my pre-covid19 usual couponing stock up, but eventually even we shall run out.  I may have to start letting the kids use the bidet in our master bath.  

• Like 4

Happy birthday Mary. :bdaycake:

Euphrasyne.  You will get through this. You are in my prayers for both baby and you.  This is suppose to be a happy time for you and now having to deal with this coronavirus is not helping.  Be very careful going out.   It sounds like I should make the BJ's run. But I am hoping I have enough to get us through. I know I have enough TP as I was stocking back years ago before paper products went way up. I also get TP delivered every 2 months through prime auto delivery but was not able to get that delivery this time. 

Our real estate taxes on house went up by 11.7%.  There are a lot of very mad neighbors all over our city. That is a big jump. 

I didn't do half of what I said I was going to do. So the potatoes are still looking at me. Must get them done tomorrow morning. Today we decided to just take it easy, sit back and spend the day relaxing and enjoying each other's company. Just talking and listening to music. It has been a relaxing day to not even think of the issues with the coronavirus.  I am going to stop our newspaper for awhile. Got to call them tomorrow. 

We have been planning our garden and getting things together as now is the time to start getting ready to plant. Getting the seeds started.  I want to make a trip to seed and feed but I don't want DH out of the house. He is going to ride with me to church on Sunday to drop the ties in bucket but we won't be getting out of car. We might do a bit of country driving while we are out. I am going to pack a lunch to take with us. Maybe go to a park if no one is there.  That's debatable. Will be taking gloves, wipes and the antiviral spray as well. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, The WE2's said:

Oh my...and dental work is usually a must.  Lots of medical problems can come because of bad dental.

I broke down & wept in the shower last night.  The stresses in the house got to me.  

Planted 3 rows of fava beans and transplanted a couple tomatillo plants.  

Happy birthday Mary. :bdaycake:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hubby got off early...had to wait for sheetrock mud to dry...so he took the van and got more gas (still had a few dollars left on his card) and unloaded his tools and then came back here for me and Abby-girl and off to the homestead we went.  I was in the middle of drying my last load of laundry, so loaded that up too and took it with us.  He's re-arranging things in his garage so he can make room for the truck (eventually) in the 3rd bay.  The other two will be pretty much no access, including the people door on the main side.  But...he has a people door on the short side where he'll be pulling the truck in, and it opens directly towards the back covered patio and back entry to the mud room.  That will work.  

While he was doing that and I was letting clothes dry, I assembled my knock off green stalk and put some of my other smaller pots in their iron holding umbrella.  Getting them ready for some planting.  Ran some water out of the last rain barrel to make sure it was drawing, and then put one of the single ones under the down spout where my "wild" stuff grows.  Going to have to get real serious about digging out the Dock.  That stuff will take over everything!  Wish I'd never accepted the "one" plant!  My Comfrey is peeking it's little heads out as well as my Elderberry sent out some really nice runners and they've got buds on it.  Should have cut the old cane off at ground level last fall but didn't...so it's looking pretty dead.

Watching carefully for the Asparagus.  This is the 2nd year it's been there.  It's a wild start so I don't think the spears will get very big.  I want to plant more...but in another location.  So I'll just leave it there for the time being.

My Garlic Chives are coming up like crazy (as usual) and my Egyptian Walking Onions are too.  The "gone to seed" bulb onions in one of the raised beds in the garden area are up too.  Even got a few 'skeeters roaming around :gaah:.  Opened the kitchen window and the front storm window and turned on ceiling fans today...loving it...but tonight we're supposed to get storms.  So...Abby will not be a happy camper and will be diving into her human daddy's shoes on his side of the bed.  I'll give her something to help calm her down about 9 or so...the weather is supposed to move in about 11.

Told son to go ahead and bring me the grape fruits that he didn't want from the pantry.  I'll just jar it up with heavy syrup (I'll eat it) and keep the peels to make some citrus vinegar.  I have a large bag of apple peelings in the homestead's frig freezer that I plan to make some apple cider vinegar.

Still not able to find any shelf stable milk at $Tree.  I use it to make my yogurt.  I still have a couple of boxes but really didn't want to run out.  May have to try making my yogurt another way...probably just have to buy some whole milk from the store...and do a better job of stocking it when it does come in. All they had was Almond milk. 

• Like 2

Annarchy,  Everyone is stressed out. But together we will all get through this.  :hug3: Just take a day and try to relax. No TV. Don't even think about what is going on in the country. Put some good music on and relax. Read a good book and do as little as possible. I does help. That is what DH and I did today. Just played music, chatted about good old days and what we wanted to plant in garden. Read books and relaxed all day. though I did feed him. :lol:.   Figured canning the potatoes could wait another day. 

• Like 3