MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I got the phone call!

Becca_Anne

Ah Becca-Anne! That is wonderful news! (I knew you'd get it...alternates usually do!!!)

You better get in a lot of rest because your life will be eat-sleep-dream- nursing for the next few years. Studying- class-clinicals will be your life now. But it will be a rewarding field that your in. Welccome to the wounderful world of nursing.

I just retired after working as a nurse for 39 yrs.

And yes you can do this. Good luck.

Congrats to you, I know you have made a great Career Choice, We always need Nurses. I also put in for a Phlebotomy class, I would like to go into being a Lab Technician, Looks good so far, I will know at the end of July if I get in. Just pray , Its someting I have always wanted to do. again. I will be praying for you to do well and retain all you learn....Good Luck..

Congrats to you, I know you have made a great Career Choice, We always need Nurses. I also put in for a Phlebotomy class, I would like to go into being a Lab Technician, Looks good so far, I will know at the end of July if I get in. Just pray , Its someting I have always wanted to do. again. I will be praying for you to do well and retain all you learn....Good Luck..

{{{{{{Becca Anne}}}}}

I'm just so thrilled for you! Please heed the warning from our fellow nurses about the mode of living and breathing nursing school and clinicals...it really is that time consuming! Make sure everyone that is close to you TRULY understands how much time this is going to take.

I totally made myself learn to say "No!" to just about every social event that crossed my path. I listen to lectures while driving...anything to get a little more study time in. I have a program on my PDA phone so that I can study NCLEX questions while waiting in lines, etc.

It is so worth it though!!! I hope it is ok to post this for you, but here is a great website to support your learning and it is filled w/ nurses that are willing to answer just about any question under the sun...

www.allnurses.com

Good luck in school!

Sincerely,

Jeanette

Thanks everyone! I got a slot here so I don't have to go to Portland darlenedance

Thanks so much for the link Jeanette! I will be having my DH and kids read all your comments about the fact it's going to take over my life! I am definately going to have to get a lot done this summer so we are ready by Sept!

Jes tikled plum pink fer ya dahlin. May all your instructors be fantastic, your studies easy, and your patients always sweet and kind. But if they are not-kick 'em in the shin or put ExLax into their cup cake frostings, wc

Congradulations!!! I totally agree with everyone about how intensive the studies are. I took all my non-nursing classes before taking nursing classes as there was no time for anything else while in the nursing program. I road the bus and that was my uninterupted study time. (The town the college was in was a 45 minute bus ride each way and I didn't drive at the time.) Take advantages of study groups as well. A good study group can make a big difference so either formal or informal groups with fellow classmates can help you to grasp concepts you may be struggling with. What is hard for you will be easy for someone else, but then you will be able to understand something else easier than others as well. School is a good place to learn the importance of team work if you haven't already learnt it. None of us could really make it at work without team work from our co-workers. We help when they are having a bad day, they help when we are and besides, even out of school you can still learn from others by listening to what they found has worked. Just yesterday I was not only able to show some new nurses a new skill, but also showed how even experienced nurses are able to make mistakes. ( I had forgot about a patients allergy when choosing supplies to insert a tube. I corrected the mistake and no harm was done. But it goes to show that all of us make mistakes, and the important part is to accept it, admit you did wrong and move on to correct the mistake. That is true in life in general,not just in nursing.)

The world of nursing is full of rewards and challenges. Welcome to that world. I lve it and I am sure you will to.

Archived