MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

9 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

Not sure what else will happen.  

Well, made hummus and then sugar free pudding for us (mine with almond milk).  Have a bowl of bread rising for tomorrow.  Also, will make a fresh batch of elderberry syrup, finish disposing of rose branches and maybe throw some bleach at the wall on our shed that has mildew.  And eBay photos.

• Like 3

Still thinking about your brother and sending up prayers for him. 

It is sad the amount of people who do not plan ahead. I know people who do have the extra money to spend and they still don't prepare. They wouldn't even need to cut back on anything. I guess they think their money will save them. They are special don't ya know.

That tugged at my heart about the baby supplies. I'd give up my wipes. I can use soap and water. I'll donate food to the animal shelter if need be. If I can find the pet food. Purina just donated pallets and pallets of food to the Danes at the Service Dog Project so I know they are covered. They do that every month or so. Thank You Purina!!!  And Disney keeps them supplied in "fluffies".     :wub: 

• Like 3

WE2...I just drool when I see your waffles.  I haven't made them in years and didn't have much luck when I did.  :shrug:  Not sure I kept the waffle iron?  I like your different uses of them.  I do the same with my homemade-ever-changing pancake recipe.  I use them with peanut butter.  Or a roll-up sandwich.  EZ "bread". 

Today....woke up SICK.  Still just a cold...pretty sure.  But felt worse than the past 2 days.  :mad:  I'm TRYING TO GET WELL!!  Today I really increased the Vit C.  Did the fizzy C drink X2.  [watching for side-affects of too much C .....ahem, cuz that would use up my T.P. hoarded supplies  ]  ;)   Taking Vit D in larger quantities as well.    And resting!!  By tonite, I'm feeling MUCH better.  Less chill.  Nose not stuffy.  Temperature is coming UP to more normal.  Tired but I've been able to cook/clear kitchen a bit.  Not coughing much.  Covered it while talking to my mom....they worry, moms do!  Took a cough drop earlier when someone made me laugh.  Couldn't stop coughing but a laugh is worthy these days.

I need to get rid of this cold/whatever and begin getting stronger again.  Sheesh!  2020 has been a rough ride so far!  Not getting further than my chaise lounge/hospital bed sometimes.  No, mostly I'm up and down all day.  Walking on porch but not today.....SNOW....  but too warm for it to stick.  :amen: 

MtRider  ....having virus but not COVID 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Already walked this morning and ran to local grocery for milk for DH. People aren't their normal selves--anxious and angry-ish. Local stores seem well enough stocked. Got last bottle of zinc at DG. I wanted fresh for this event.

Pruned all rose bushes yesterday and disposed of half of clippings.

Carried this over from yesterday--pooped out!

Going out in a few minutes to finish and put bleach on old concrete blocks on shed.

Then indoors to make fresh elderberry syrup, bake the bread, and pressure can some potatoes that I got on sale. And take eBay photos.

• Like 4

With all that C and D vitamins yesterday, I feel MUCH better today.  My temperature continues to go up and down...mostly down.  Never quite reaching 98.6* during THIS episode.  :buttercup:      Must remember to check it when I'm feeling normal someday.  See what I usually run.  :scratchhead:  Only a bit of that chilly/warm feeling.  Eyes not scratchy today.  :amen:   ....it WAS just a cold-type virus then.  

What I do have is one of my morning headaches.  DH adjusted me already; took Nuprin....and I still have it.  Oye!  Laying or even sitting makes it worse so this is making me tired.  Standing at kitchen counter typing...  :imoksmiley:  Gonna break down and take second Nuprin pretty soon.  Rarely need that but.....what the heck.  I'll splurge!  :rolleyes:  

MtRider  ....sheeeesh, Miki.  Can I borrow some of your energy???  :hug3: 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Can I borrow some of your energy???  :hug3: 

Any time, sister!

Didn't have to make elderberry syrup as what I have is fine and plenty.

Potatoes are cut and soaking in water to be canned tomorrow.

I did make the bread and it's good!

• Like 3

Rainy, chilly, cloudy day...so we ventured out and topped off both of our vehicles as well as several gas containers.  It was really weird to see people all over everywhere!  Sav-A-Lot...parking lot full and no carts in their corrals.  WalMart...parking lot nearly full and very few carts in their corrals.  Hubby went in to put dollars on his gift card to use for our gas (he goes to customer service...not the cashiers) so I watched.  Lots of people coming out empty handed or just carrying one or two plastic bags.  Restaurants...full. Just weird!

FB notified our state that they had a patient that tested positive at a small hospital only about 60 miles from us, and less than that from my brother and SIL and my stepmum.  Way too close to comfort people!  They shut the hospital down to all incoming patients etc.  They transferred the positive tested person someplace else.  Not sure where, but probably one of the major hospitals in our state...there are many.

We will probably try $Tree again for some more shelf stable milk...that's what I use to make our yogurt, and yogurt during this stressful time is probably very important to our diet. We're being extremely careful to practice hand sanitizing and hand washing.  We keep a gallon plastic zip lock in the truck that has a package of baby wipes and a squirt bottle of sanitizer.  There's also 2 small bottles of sanitizer in the glove box.  

Brought over 3 cases of quart jars so I can clean them up.  Going to can water...yes, can water!  I have tons of quart jars and lots of free water for right now.  All you have to do is fill your waterbath pot or pressure canning pot with water and bring it to a boil.  Submerge your clean jars into the water and fill them to 1" head space.  Then bring them out, put your lids and rings on and then back into the pot.  Make sure they're covered with at least an inch of water, bring to a boil, and boil for 20 minutes.  There's probably not much bottled water in any of the stores at this rate, so I'm just making sure we're covered on that part of our pantry. Also did some pantry shopping to bring to this place to put back what I've used this past week for our meals.  We have our rain catchment system but it's not hooked up yet (hopefully will tomorrow) and it's needing a first flush before we close the spikets and start collecting water.  Even then, we'd have to run it through the Berkey. We have a lot of bottled water but not nearly enough if something really bad happens.  It wouldn't be the first time that water might be rationed or contaminated.  

Surely not a fatalist but I don't trust the world we're living in ... especially right now.  I know some of our leaders are trying their best but they're still human and can make mistakes or be deceived.  Having shelter, water and food is always good no matter what tomorrow may hold.

Hubby is making some real progress on running the plumbing lines in the basement.  Making me feel a lot better as we face this storm of life. He's fully aware that we've got to have the bathroom up and running if we have to go the homestead.  That's one thing comforting though.  Even though we're "sheltering" we have 3 houses, a travel trailer and a motorhome that we can come and go to...breaking up the stress factor.  As long as our camper van "Miss B", has gas we can also take a nice long ride into the national or state parks and just get out in the sunshine...avoiding everybody of course.

Even at the homestead, we have about an acre and none of the neighbors are close, so we can sit on the covered wrap around front porch, or out in the back garden area with our patio set...and enjoy being outside without fear of being too close to people.  Here...no.  At our rental property (The Roost) ...nobody close, but one neighbor is "too friendly" for our liking and seems to always want to walk over and "chat".  So we won't go there other than to do a drive by or something.  Bottom line...not being cooped up is going to be very important when people are sheltering "someplace".

• Like 6

We are sitting pat at home.  everal cases of the virus found in a nearby town.  So glad that we need nothing more.  A neighbor came by and helped Mary get our large generator off the truck bed and put on the wheels.  He is a good mechanic, and we suspet a prepper, too.  Nobody actually comes out anymore and reveals themselves, but you can often tell.  We are alarmed dat the huge surge in gun sales.  The first time somebody shoots a stranger for getting too close things will get pretty bad, pretty fast.  My books came from thrift books - used fix it and forget it cookbooks, low priced plus free shipping what is not to love?

Unfortunately I have had my worst fears confirmed....an acquaintance has a daughter who is sick, who was is close proximity to a confirmed virus victim,  BUT since she cant get a test done to see whether she is infected or not, she is merrily going shopping ... everybody tells her to stay home and self quarantine but she won't.  She wonders why grandparents say to keep her son at home instead of visiting his over 60 resistance impaired grandparents.  Her brother kept commenting it was no big deal if he got sick as he is young and not at high  risk risk....UNTIL his parents pointed out that he lives with them and they ARE at high risk of death from the virus.  He was shocked....it never occurred to him....

OY...... people......

Will call PT to see if they are accepting therapy patients anymore.  Since my very recent surgery I am not trusting my immune system to have bounced back properly.  

Im even giving up church and for me that is a very unhappy decision.  TV mass just is not the same.  But I am sure HE understands.

Edited by kappydell
  • Sad 6

WE2,  I have about 48 quart jars of water I canned a while back. Need to get my 16-5 gal. jugs filled though. Pulled out the 100 gal. bob for bathtub. We don't use that bathtub so can stay in there. I have another one I am going to make a floor stand in garage to put another one in. That would give us 200 gals. of fresh water for cleaning up plus everything else I am about to fill up soon. I have 3-  5 gal jugs filled now. Also have the blue can water 144 of them that last 50 years. I wanted more but they were all sold out. Those I use in car if we have to leave for drinking. I have a bag in car with extra sanitizers, gloves, N95 mask, and a tube of Clorox wipes. Going to put a roll of TP in the bag as well. That is for emergency on road. You never know if or when you might have to head out some where and need that stuff. 

Kappy that is why we are deciding if we should go to church or not tomorrow. You just don't know and DH is high risk. She should be thinking about others getting this virus and stay home. People just don't seem to care anymore. 

We have gone and done all we need to do grocery wise. Didn't know I would have to go to post office to mail food to granddaughter 3000 miles away. But she needs it till she can get moved into house Monday and get somewhat settled. She is going out to shop for food and hopefully find some cleaning supplies sometime Monday after they get keys to house. She's not sure how things will be as it is in Washington State. 

Need to get my Berkey primed and set up this week as well. Going to try to get that done soon. Packing food for granddaughter Is going to take some of my time to do things around here I need to get done. But by the grace of God, I will get there. 

• Like 5

Ack, Kappy.  The son didn't figure it out?   Any meeting I have with my folks will be on their large back deck.  And that may not be any time soon.  I can relate to an immune system that we wish was a whole lot better.  Sheesh, we never get sick and this year, I've been nothing but sick!  But if we're stocked up and staying home.....to guard the stuff we've got stocked up  :ph34r:   then we should be okay.

Don't wear yourself out too much, LittleSister....speaking of having strong immune systems.  Hope your GrD appreciates your efforts on her behalf.  Too bad they got transferred soooo far away from you right now.  :(  

Headache finally gone!  DH made a stir-fry for supper.  :yum3:  Body says it's time to slow down for the evening. 

MtRider .....off to do my lesson in 'olelo Hawai'i   :pc_coffee:

• Like 4

Y'know what I'm really thankful for?  Our big front deck was completed last week.  We can sit outside in our chairs and enjoy outside air.  It's covered too, so as long as the rain doesn't blow too hard, we can sit out there in all weather.  Found cheap rocking chairs for out there at Academy yesterday.  Now I just need a lounge chair...

• Like 8

I went shopping...from home. I broke down and ordered another canner. I had always planned to get another one but not this soon. Since my canner is in Indiana, I figured now is the time before everyone else figures it out and gardens start to come in. 

I went back and forth on whether to get the Presto or the All American. I got the Presto. I weighed all the options. I fear the All American would be way too heavy for me. I don't think any of my blood line will can so it would probably be sold when I'm gone and not a treasured heirloom. And the expense is another factor. The only advantage, for me, would be gasket free. I just couldn't justify the cost for a gasket free canner. Plus the fact that you have to reach across a hot canner to unscrew the lid. I'm old and short and I know me. If I was younger I could probably justify it. Put let's be real, I don't have a lot of canning years left in me. Probably. 

I know I can handle a Presto and I'm used to it too. I wanted to order an extra gasket for it but couldn't figure out which one to get. I have two extra ones so I can get another one when I figure it out. It's probably in the instruction manual. Worse case scenario I can pick one up at Lehman's. I put it in my shopping list at Amazon about two weeks ago and the price dropped 3%. Not a lot but anything and everything helps.

I also ordered some half pint jars for single serving veggies. They are an off brand. Something like Verona. I hope they will be okay and sturdy. I've only used Ball and Kerr. But they were 30 for $32.00. I got two packs. Ugh, I should have read the consumer ratings (can't think what they call them on Amazon) but I just now thought of it. :groooansmileyf:

I had to break down and get another funnel and jar lifter. They came in a $7.00 kit so it wasn't too bad. All of my canning supplies are in Indy too. Sigh. 

Good thing my S.S. check is due in before my charge card bill is due. I'm broke but happy I finally made the purchase. 

Now I'm worried about the off brand jars.  Sheesh.

I just cancelled the canning jar order. Luckily they haven't shipped yet. Whew. I shouldn't go cheap when it comes to food. A broken jar or two of food might matter. I'm sticking with Ball or Kerr. I should know better. :banghead:

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

Jeepers, I use off-brand jars all the time and I've never had a problem with them.  i even use "gasp" mayo jars to can fruit in.  :) I've had jars break but they have always been old Ball or Kerr jars. YMMV of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well dang, maybe I should re buy them then. Did you use them for pressure canning? They were such a good price. I remember way back in the 1970's when you couldn't buy anything to do with canning anywhere. Could happen again this canning season too. 

• Like 2

Been busy working and caretaking, mostly. Struggling to get DH in to see another surgeon who might be able to help  - that’s been a frustrating battle, and we have “good” insurance. More and more I am getting to see first hand how terrible our system truly is. He has been sick for 7 months with zero relief. I am determined to fight for him, but it shouldn’t be like this.

Meanwhile, due to COVID-19 my workplace has modified some procedures since it is a public place. So far they aren’t closing. We see a lot of poor and under-insured or un-insured people coming through there, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it hits us there. If my employer shuts down, I have some savings to tide us over for awhile. Money preps are important too.

Nephew’s school shut down and went to on-line classes. Glad of that as too many young people in close contact is a recipe for rapid spread.

Went shopping yesterday and am thankful for a stuffed freezer and closets of supplies. Shelves were bare of toilet paper and paper towels, bread, bottled water and meat. There was plenty of fresh produce, which was the reason for my trip. Those who aren’t prepared are panic buying. I hope this wakes people up a bit about preparedness, and also about our rather broken healthcare system.

I shudder to think of how bad this pandemic could get if it hits in a poor and under-insured community. Go Fund Me can’t handle that level of need.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Daylily said:

Jeepers, I use off-brand jars all the time and I've never had a problem with them.  i even use "gasp" mayo jars to can fruit in.  :) I've had jars break but they have always been old Ball or Kerr jars. YMMV of course.

I want to quote Jeepers! Why does it always quote me?

Yes I have pressure canned the off brand jars. I also pressure the mayo jars but for fruit only so it's 10 minutes at 10 lbs at the most for them.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, TheCG said:

Stay home.  I probably would if I could tomorrow.  Read too many things about the 1918 flu, and where social distancing worked and where it failed.

This is what I'm referring to.

IMG_6367.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm sticking with Ball or Kerr.

I usually buy Golden Harvest at Dollar General of Family Dollar.  No problems at all and less than Walmart, I think.  Not sure if they have half pint though.  

Been to abbreviated Church service this morning where they told us - no Church until further notice.

Came home and set up vitamins for the month (Will see if my insurance will pay to get thyroid meds refilled early).  Fried up some onions and garlic in olive oil, added smoked turkey sausage and cabbage.  Have enough for 4 or 5 days for both of us.  Going soon to cut up the taters that I put off from yesterday and will pressure can them tomorrow.  Sometimes, I run out of energy or time!  Going to start a load of rugs so that is one less thing for tomorrow.

Hang in there, folks!

• Like 4

Went to Church this morning but DH was so swollen, he stayed home and took double on fluid pills. He had no salt but something went amiss. 

Our service was first announcement there will be no church service for 2 weeks then see how things go from there.  We cancelled the Food Ministry for next Thursday.  Two of the ladies in our church work for Sentara hosp. and gave us the updates on what the hosptals are doing. Only one entrance in and out. No one 12 and under allowed in hosp. Only 2 visitors and at different times.   No fist bumbs, and no elbow bumping to take place of hand shaking. As people cough and sneeze into their elbows and arms. So it is only by wave of hand or you can tap feet. No hugging and a lesson on hand washing. 

After the service we had all the members that get food from our food ministry meet us on other side of church where we give out food. We gave double of what we normally would give. So they at least have some food now. 

Came home fixed lunch for us and then went to the Food Lion for eggs and some fresh produce for salad, and tacos. Needed to  go with the lettuce and tomatoes I already have.  those will be some of the first things to get used up as they won't last as long.    But no eggs, so will just be using the long term food storage for eggs. I can bake bread using those eggs so not a problem but fresh would have been nice. 

Store was packed with people but no issues. Everyone seemed calm while shopping for what they could get. Pulled all my food storage out of closets and went through everything getting it in more organized way. Found 3 small bags I had sealed in mylar bags in 2018 of walnuts. They had gotten pushed way back in closet and forgotten about. Just wondering that they might not be any good since they are nuts. Haven't checked them yet. They do have an O2 absorber in them as well. 

Got the car topped off with gas.  Need to take DH with me to get the cans filled. I don't want to but the cans are heavy and takes us both to lift them into trunk of car. I have the wipes in car for touching keypad and handle of gas nozzle. Wore gloves for that as well. 

• Like 5
On 3/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, kappydell said:

Unfortunately I have had my worst fears confirmed....an acquaintance has a daughter who is sick, who was is close proximity to a confirmed virus victim,  BUT since she cant get a test done to see whether she is infected or not, she is merrily going shopping ... everybody tells her to stay home and self quarantine but she won't.  She wonders why grandparents say to keep her son at home instead of visiting his over 60 resistance impaired grandparents.  Her brother kept commenting it was no big deal if he got sick as he is young and not at high  risk risk....UNTIL his parents pointed out that he lives with them and they ARE at high risk of death from the virus.  He was shocked....it never occurred to him....

This generation of snowflakes is going to get us killed.  :0327:

• Like 3

They are closing down my mom's retirement center to outsiders. I get one more visit tomorrow to get her meds all ready for the next two weeks. Do all of her laundry and grab her 2019 tax folder to bring home and send to tax accountant. I think she's starting to realize the seriousness of this situation!!   :grinning-smiley-044:  She can go down to the cafeteria for food but is getting weaker. They will deliver to her apt door for $6.00 meal. We may resort to that. Brother said that he would drop off loaves of bread on her deck with his drone cause that's all she eats for breakfast.  :24:

I'm SO THANKFUL we prepped (shout-out to Darlene)  :cele: We tried to think of EVERY scenario and think we did a great job before the non-event. :hapydancsmil: We've never let those skills go, even though we already had animals, gardens, orchards, etc. DH came back from our pond today and said the ice is receding from the edge. He said there's a HUGE turtle with our name on it for when the freezer starts getting low. He also yelled at the squirrels and rabbits to eat more cracked corn.  :laughkick:

Church was great today. About half the congregation, but a reminder from the pastor that the salt and light will shine even brighter as the world gets darker. Don't forget about the elderly and shut-ins. Share what we have and the fish and loaves will multiply.  :cheer:

Edited by Homesteader
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I just cancelled the canning jar order. Luckily they haven't shipped yet. Whew. I shouldn't go cheap when it comes to food. A broken jar or two of food might matter. I'm sticking with Ball or Kerr. I should know better. :banghead:

Good job!! I ordered a few cases through Walmart a few years ago. They came from China and had no markings on them. Some of them broke in the canner. Some of the lids never sealed. They just collapsed because they were so thin. I wrote to Walmart but never heard back. I tossed the lids and only use the qt jars for water bath canning.  :hug3:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found some jars from Wal-Mart online. They were even a little cheaper than the generic ones. And they are my favorite brand...Kerr. I like the shape of them and no writing on three sides. Plus free delivery on Wednesday. I'm a happy camper now. It took me all day to search and order those jars.  :blush:

• Like 6

At least you weren't out physically shopping for those jars, Jeepers!  :thumbs: 

I spent the entire day on the phone, seems like.  But good PREPPER talks with DD2  :cele:  and a good friend who's ready ...and about to go to work from home, and my mom.  DH and I are talking all the time....adjusting plans to suit what's happening.  We're expecting  [but can live without] a few more packages thru delivery.  :shrug:  A bit of insurance....and possibly sharing with my folks.  

Please pray DH is safe Mon/Tues at work.  Taking that week by week.  No one around us yet....mebbe.  He's a fanatical hand-washer. 

We've had wonderful SNOW-MELTING weather.  Unsettled this week tho....but ground has warmed.  Only a big snow can lay down more.....but that surely can happen.  It's only March!!!  :frozen:  :knary:    :frozen:  

I put a skillet breakfast into the oven this morning.  <_<   When I opened the oven, SMOKE rolled out.  HUH???   :buttercup:   I left the pot holder thing on the skillet's handle.  Fetched it out quick and doused it with water in sink.  It was smokin'!!  Sheeeeeesh!  But we do like drying our skillets in the oven and NOT on the burners now.  That's working!

MtRider  ......  :buttercup:   Old Age....ain't for sissies!  {Ziggy}

• Like 4