MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

We did the big shopping trip yesterday.  Went to Aldi, Food Lion, and Kroger.    

Aldi was mostly stocked, but there wasn't even shelf space for the teriyaki and Asian sauces I usually buy there.  They were low on olives, apple juice, and cake/bread type mixes.  The price of canned oranges and chicken kiev had gone up significantly.  >33%  DD1 was fussing a bit as we bagged things and 4 separate people told me 'that is a nap whine.'   It is impossible to stay strangers when you have a baby.

Food Lion was low on water, paper goods, frozen pizza, frozen breakfast items, ice cream.  The cost of rice items, canned soup, and meat was all higher than usual.

Baby passed out with her head on bar of the shopping cart.  At least 10 people came up to me to say 'that is a sleeping baby.'   Everyone loves a baby.     

Went home, unloaded, put away cold items.  Left baby with her older sister when she came home and went to Kroger sans baby.  

Kroger: Frozen breakfast items were non existent.   Canned meals like ravioli and Ramen were very low.   Many boxes of potatoes and rice type things were only 1-2 boxes deep on the shelf.  Asian/Indian foods were very sparce and empty shelves.  I need  Terriyaki and soy sauce.    At least the soy sauce so I can make terriyaki.  Both FL and Kro did not have the armour balogna snacks (like lunchables).  The price of canned soup was astronomical.   I cannot imagine anyone paying that much for it.  Boxed starches were also up significantly in price as well as salad dressing.   

We spent a fortune because we bought a lot of easter/birthday stuff.  DD13 helped me put everything away properly after we got back.   It took 90m to organize the pantry because it had become a bit of a mess on the bottom shelf (where DH stores his stuff).  We condensed some items, moved a few things about to reflect on current eating patterns/season and had a late dinner of leftovers.  

This morning, I assessed the pantry, straightened the last few things and took note of holes.   Sometimes it is good to look at the food you eat rather than the spreadsheet to see what you are wanting.  It looks like I am mostly missing asian/mexican/indian condiments so a trip to the Asian and Indian groceries in VB is in order.  

• Like 5

Good morning! It’s the first day of spring break for me so I’m feeling pretty good. :D  we’ve had 70 and 80° weather for the past two weeks and I woke up to rain this morning… But that’s OK because we are already back to drought conditions and rain is good. I’m getting ready to go take the dog for a nice walk while it’s cool and when I get back dear hubby has agreed to help me pull everything out of the pantry so we can check for anything that’s close to being expired and then try and re-organize it in a better fashion… I think that might take up the rest of the day.

• Like 5

I was at Aldi's and Wal-Mart both, a week or so ago.  I was surprised at how many empty shelves Aldi's had.  There still was or was again a limit of 4 on a number of things.  I hate that! :laughkick:But I understand it.

There was not a can of sweet potatoes to be found.  I really planned on stocking up on those.  There were other holes in the vegetables, but they weren't completely empty shelves.  There were holes where the soups went and not a can of tomato soup to be found.

I buy DH a whole box of potato chips when I go.  There were plenty of potato chips but no bar-b-que chips or Cheetos.

Plenty of flour stacked but maybe only 1/2 of what they usually have.  Plenty of sugar. 

I don't know what kinds were missing but lots of cookies and bars with holes.

Wal-Mart was a different story.  Other than some of the processed meat I saw no empty spaces.

I stocked up at both places, even getting my sweet potatoes, and feel much better having everything on hand.  I really didn't "need" a lot of what I bought but it feels good having it here.

Like you Dogmom4, I spent time reorganizing my storage places and marking the dates on things before putting it all away.  Good job done!  

• Like 5

I spent a lot of the morning breaking down more boxes in the garage. I was hoping for some rain for some ambiance but that didn't happen. And since the Jeep was in the driveway, it could have used a washing. I'll take it to the carwash on the way to the recycle bin. That will assure we will get rain. 

I have a lot of boxes because I was saving them for the move. Then I realized that there is no way I could lift them after I filled them up. They would be much too heavy. So out they go. I'll keep the smaller ones or just use grocery bags. 

I need to work on my storage system too. Yesterday I found another case of 1/2 gallon jars and I need to get some dehydrated food in them. I filled up one of the jars with barley flakes already. It's purdy. 

I also need to go through my books and get them packed up. I need to make a list of the titles to store in the computer. Every time I see a book I might like, I have to run upstairs to see if I already have it. One time I bought the same book twice. That was a lesson to be learned. They are mostly how-to books. 

That should keep me busy through the weekend. 

70-80 degree weather sounds so nice after our long cold winter. Reminds me to call the lawn mowing guy to see if he is still available. I have a feeling he isn't and I need to find someone before all of their slots fill up. 

• Like 2

Home safe from TX with MIL.

Getting her settled in….

Had to work on an incoming shipment yesterday, and got writers cramp this morning logging it in the books.  

Today I will be working on putting up the meat I got in TX.  Most everything was $2-3. Less per pound, than, we can get here.

So much to do, so little time… making a priority list…

• Like 8
50 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

Home safe from TX with MIL.

Getting her settled in….

Had to work on an incoming shipment yesterday, and got writers cramp this morning logging it in the books.  

Today I will be working on putting up the meat I got in TX.  Most everything was $2-3. Less per pound, than, we can get here.

So much to do, so little time… making a priority list…

So glad that you arrived safely, Annarchy! It sounds like you had a great score in TX. I need to scope out a few places where I might be able to find some better deals. I probably won't be able to go, but I can send hubby.

• Like 4

@martianchick  I didn't  even  turn the  new laptop  on today. Did get  it charged. 

Got the garden  tilled. Put a brick border around the  potato  bed. Got a third of the fence  up around the  big garden. I hope to have  help tomorrow  finishing  fence and pulling  up grass clumps.  Planting  Monday!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 6

I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped. However, I did order groceries through Instacart and managed to sort through the grocery cabinets and household supplies. That made me feel better about our preparedness. I may get to the freezer tonight, but I doubt it. I am working on a couple of loads of laundry right now. I decided to put my management skills to good use and... DELEGATE! Hubby is working on a list of supplies that are needed for our house, based upon his (cooking, cleaning, etc.) abilities. He is likely to overlook some things but it still gets our own house better prepared.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, themartianchick said:

crazy, battery-draining features that I don't use and don't know how to turn off!)

Which ones?

38 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Which ones?

My computer is an Alienware (What else would a Martian use?) The keyboard is perpetually backlit with no apparent way to turn it off. The power button (shaped like an alien) glows nonstop when the machine is on. This feature is useful when the machine is charging because it changes colors as it goes along. There is external lighting on the back of the laptop that serves no useful purpose. All of this extra lighting causes the battery to drain faster than a regular laptop.  Otherwise, I LOVE this machine because it is lightning fast, even when I have a bazillion tabs open!

I believe that the external lighting is just for the cool factor... I can imagine that some teenaged gamer would be impressed by it!

Here is a stock photo of it. My cell phone camera doesn't capture it quite right.

Alienware m15 R5 15.6" FHD Gaming Laptop AMD Ryzen R9 16GB Memory NVIDIA  GeForce RTX 3070 1TB Solid State Drive Dark Side of the Moon  AWM15R5-A610BLK-PUS - Best Buy

Edited by themartianchick
Edited to add one more detail
  • Like 2

Does this work?

Open- Alienware AlienFX.
Click- My Themes.
Select- Basic-> Blackout. ...
Go to sleep without a little light keeping you awake.
Click Quick change under Go Light/Go Dark to change to a recent color scheme you have had activated, added, or created

Or here's a pdf I took of page 14 of a manual that might work on your machine. 

Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard AW768 User's Guide.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Basically it says press the alienhead to turn on or off the keyboard lighting.

Press FN plus F5 or F6 to turn the lights up or down.

• Like 1

Euphrasyne, the Food Lion near me has soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. They also had ravioli but was low on frozen foods. They were low on things but did have those. They also removed the limit on chicken. Up here on Rt. 17 and Lee Farm Lane. 

Seems everyone has been busy.  Got up this morning, read and prayed for our country and other things. Then had coffee and started washing clothes. By the time I finished that my SIL was walking down the street from his mom's house. DD got here about 30 minutes later. Got the new bar stools put together and was working on the raised beds, but I had to run up to hardware store to buy a new electric screwdriver. Those boxes were hard to put together by hand alone. He got one put together and wants to reinforce it when he comes down with his tools again and get the other one put together also. 

Bought pizza for dinner for all of us and they left to head back home a little after 6. Now she wants to start remodeling her bathrooms and wants shiplap in her pantry and laundry room. She said she was jealous of the work on my house. She wants my countertop, sink, shiplap and my small bathroom. She couldn't believe they managed to get a linen closet in a cracker box. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Basically it says press the alienhead to turn on or off the keyboard lighting.

Press FN plus F5 or F6 to turn the lights up or down.

That doesn't seem to work... Pressing the alienhead causes the keyboard lighting and the screen to go black but as soon as you touch a key, it comes back.

I tried the FN plus F5 and F6, as well as just F5 and F6 (without FN and nothing happens at all. It is vexing.

• Sad 2
15 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Does this work?

Open- Alienware AlienFX.
Click- My Themes.
Select- Basic-> Blackout. ...
Go to sleep without a little light keeping you awake.
Click Quick change under Go Light/Go Dark to change to a recent color scheme you have had activated, added, or created

Or here's a pdf I took of page 14 of a manual that might work on your machine. 

Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard AW768 User's Guide.pdf 421.59 kB · 4 downloads

Oh my goodness!!!! This one works!!! I also learned how to change the entire color scheme. The alien on the back is now my favorite shade of purple. The best thing is that the lights on the back at the bottom (called TRON lights) are finally off. The backlighting is off, too. It is kind of a complex way to do it. Since it is after 9 pm, I guess that I should turn the keyboard lighting back on. I just can't see the keys in the dark!

Thanks so much Ambergris!!! :hapydancsmil:

• Like 6
On 3/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, Dee said:

Any hints on making them would be greatly appreciated.

I don't "do" bread, but one of the YT channels I follow (Appalachia's Homestead with Patara)  has some good tips.

1. She rolls out the dough then folds it over (twice)
  2. When you cut the biscuits from the dough do NOT twist the cutting device - this will seal off the edges and you will not get a tender rising biscuit.
  3. Bake them on cast iron

In this video she experiments with different fats when making the dough. Click the link to see the vid. 

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 3

Good morning!

It is a chilly 43 degrees in NY, today! I am hoping to get the storage closet organized. That is where I keep a lot of miscellaneous stuff and it is a bit of a hot mess! Reorganizing the freezer is definitely in the plan. If I manage to get anything else done, then that is just a bonus. I have tomorrow off from work and I'm hoping to get some stuff done in my own home. I may even look over my garden beds to see if there is anything that I want to grow in pots. My old potting table is still out in the main garden, but it looks a little worse for wear. If nothing else, maybe I can grow some herbs in pots. I love fresh herbs and they are so expensive at the store!

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 4

Happy first day of Spring! Right now it’s 48 degrees in California but supposed to be 72 later this afternoon. Sunday is my morning to go in to my local animal shelter and walk dogs. I used to walk all sizes of dogs but as my back has gotten older I mostly work with the little dogs. Volunteers walk and do other forms of enrichment with them. A lot of times with the littles I spend time with them wrapped in a blanket and we sit in a quiet spot to help them calm down. We also help  evaluate them and take photos/videos to help get them adopted out. This is one of my favorite things to do...

I also plan to get out in my garden to get some weeding done and maybe some seeds started. Depends on my energy level when I get home.

Edited by dogmom4
  • Like 6

Dogmom4, Bless you for doing that! I'm a dog lover too. During these hard times and pet food shortages, I try to donate dog food to our shelter at least once a month. It used to be the huge bags but I can no longer budge them. Sigh. Lately I've become aware of how weak I'm getting. I don't like it. 

I'm also a member at Service Dog Project and donate monetarily monthly to them. A fantastic not for profit organization that breeds and trains Great Dane service dogs for balance impaired individuals. They donate the dogs free with veterans at the top of their list. Unfortunately, for me, they are in Mass. so I can't physically volunteer. But I do love that place. 

My back is out today so it's just me, the heating pad and a couple of Advil. Hopefully I'll find something constructive to do with my hands while in the hours long fowler's position. There's always something to sort through around here. 

• Like 4

Annarchy, so glad you're home safe and sound. Home is so nice!

It sounds like everyone is busy.  Me?  I'm getting things ready for our tax appointment tomorrow.  Not fun!  On top of that our internet cable got cut yesterday.  Our fault no one else's BUT I'm at the library now using their WiFi.  

DH says he's not going to bother fixing it until the job of moving a garage to our place is finished.  That's how the cable was cut.  Digging down to pour concrete.

So, I won't be around much, maybe for as long as a month, but I'll check in when I'm in town with WiFi access.

You all stay out of trouble while I'm gone. :P 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I must not have signed out yesterday. Oh well.  

Busy day yesterday.   DD and SIL came and got one raised bed together. Needed an electric screwdriver, So I went and bought one. He finished that and got the bar stools put together for me. He will be back to put the other bed together and he wants to reinforce them better. So will be bringing his tools and the truck next time. Need lots of garden soil and other things I can't get in my car.  Gee, I need a truck. 

Got up this morning and I couldn't turn my neck. I have a plate in neck, and I guess all the work I was doing yesterday aggravated it. So didn't make it to church. Just could not even turn my head from side to side. Took a muscle relaxer and it knocked me out. Slept till about 3 pm this afternoon. Neck is very stiff and sore, and I can now turn it just a little from side to side. But still not there yet. Guess I will be taken it easy for a couple of days and just do light work around here till it straightens out again. Trying to do some neck exercises to get it back to where I can turn it again without the stiffness and pain. 

Weather was so nice yesterday. 80* and today it is in low 60*'s not bad but much cooler. That's good though because I don't need the heat nor the air conditioner yet. 

Called someone to give me an estimate on cutting the grass. He will be here tomorrow. Haven't been able to get hold of the one that had been doing it. He might not be doing it any longer. They live in another city and with gas prices the way they are, they might not be going to other cities any longer. Can't say I blame them. Plus, they are firefighters' out of P town. That is the city they live in, and gas back and forth can get expensive. So, getting someone that lives near me. 

• Like 2

Sitting here frustrated.  I used to be able to buy cans of apples, onions and so on by the case from the LDS central supply, which was open to the public.  But now, I can't put anything in the cart without being prompted to input my Church Account User Name and Password, which I don't have.  Do they no longer sell to people without church accounts?

• Like 2

Dee…gonna miss ya while your away.

Jeepers and LittleSis…hope y’all start feeling better.

I had big plans for the weekend but it didn’t quiet work out after the week I had. I was extremely lazy yesterday and finally drug myself off the couch to get SOMETHING accomplished today.

Our middle son bought a house and moved out this past year but hasn’t taken all of his stuff bc he doesn’t want to clutter his house ;). I started working on the spare room…boxed up clothes and everything I could and put it neatly in the corner. We moved shelving into the closet and started a backup pantry/storage. Was able to move all the cases of can goods from the garage that I bought on my shopping spree a few weeks ago to the new backup pantry. Didn’t get around to trying to make biscuits or bread but I baked 2 dozen muffins for morning grab and go and snacks.

DH and I were talking about trying to do some container gardening or even plant an actual small garden after seeing a post here about urban gardening. I think it may be too late except for maybe some container gardening. My friend who lives about 20 min away is putting in a large garden but she said that they haven’t been able to grow tomato’s bc of the squirrels. We have tons of squirrels here and we are “in town” so I probably won’t even try it but I’m going to look at planting a few other things just to see if I CAN. I’ve only planted one garden and that was a humpteen years ago.

Getting my week planned before I go to bed. Work is crazy busy and I dread it. Hope you all have a great week!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Sitting here frustrated.  I used to be able to buy cans of apples, onions and so on by the case from the LDS central supply, which was open to the public.  But now, I can't put anything in the cart without being prompted to input my Church Account User Name and Password, which I don't have.  Do they no longer sell to people without church accounts?

I think so. I bought from them years ago but just tried last week and ended up making an account because Honeyville is out of stock on every single thing. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1