MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

On 3/29/2022 at 11:21 AM, themartianchick said:

Since the topic of a bidet has come up a few times, I thought that I'd mention that you can buy bidet-like bottles on Amazon that can be filled with warm water to wash areas that might be a little out of reach. There are many designs and some may be more ergonomic than others. When you are incapacitated and can only use one hand, you might have to have someone else fill the bottle up. They can be invaluable for certain health concerns, too.

After childbirth, the hospital gave me a peri bottle.    That might be useful in one of those situations.   

The company that makes SnotSuckers (sounds gross, using it the first time seemed a little gross, but when that baby could breathe better after all the ick in her nose came out, totally worth it!) makes a peri bottle that is supposed to be easier to use than regular peri bottles. 

edited to add:

SnotSucker  https://frida.com/products/nosefrida

Upside down Peri bottle  https://frida.com/products/upside-down-peri-bottle

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

After childbirth, the hospital gave me a peri bottle.    That might be useful in one of those situations.   

The company that makes SnotSuckers (sounds gross, using it the first time seemed a little gross, but when that baby could breathe better after all the ick in her nose came out, totally worth it!) makes a peri bottle that is supposed to be easier to use than regular peri bottles. 

edited to add:

SnotSucker  https://frida.com/products/nosefrida

Upside down Peri bottle  https://frida.com/products/upside-down-peri-bottle

That is exactly what I was referring to!  I have seen this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081DYMBN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

I went to get my redacted taxes. I'll get them sent in tomorrow, Sigh. Every time I look at that bottom line it makes me sick. How can I owe so much? I think it was because I didn't have any out of pocket medical or Rx expenses. You try to save and then it comes back to bite you in the butt. This year I won't be so frugal with the doctor visits. I'll also get more receipts for donations I make. I used to be good at that. 

The lawn guy called back and he is going to do my lawn this year. :hapydancsmil: That's a relief. I've always told him that I'm not fussy. Just keep the city off of my back and do around the mailbox once a month. He has one of those zero turn mowers and it takes him about 15 minutes tops to do the yard. Quick money for him. Plus it keeps the neighbors eyes off of me bouncing across the yard. Know what I mean. :buttercup:

Ice and snow advisory has passed. Now we are in a high wind advisory. Life in the Midwest. It's always something. 

• Like 4

Eurphrasyne, I pray for your surgery to go well and a quick recovery. I know you didn't need this right after getting over that other fall. :pray: :hug3:

I am also going to print out your suggestions on using the other hand. I need knuckle replacement somewhere down the line and trying hard to hold off. Those suggestions will so come in handy when that time comes. Need to start trying to do things with my left hand now for practice.  though I am also starting to have issues with stiff fingers on left hand. :(

Friend called me this morning and told me to get down to Dollar Tree, they had just stocked the store. So, I got things together and went. They had the Gossner milk, So I bought some of the whole milk as the last time they only had 1% which I have just about finished up. Canned goods were very low but was able to get 12 cans of the mixed veggies. That is the back up as having trouble finding the frozen ones now.  They had a few egg noodles so got a couple of those as well. They also had something I had not seen before. Roasted ground coffee in mylar bags. It is the breakfast blend and makes 40 cups. I got 6 of them and going to put those up for trade. They do have a best by date of 2/23. But I am going to fix them up for long term. They will make good for trade. Picked up a few other things to put in my low areas and then came home. So, I am thinking that they get their stock in on Tuesday as no one was stocking today when I went. Also got some snack pack brand pudding in the cups. Sometimes I am just too lazy to make pudding. So, these are not the ones you refrigerate, so I just keep them in fridge for those lazy days that I want a snack without making it. Don't know if anyone has tried this or not but got a couple of cans to try of Celebrity Luncheon loaf. They also make the canned hams. These have a best by date of 12/25. Going to try one out and if good will buy more. Would make for barter as well. They also had the small bottles of laundry detergent, so got more of those to add to my barter box. 

Later Grandson called and wanted another Bible lesson. He has been trying to study the Bible and wants me to help him with questions. I try but I am no Sunday school teacher. Though he seems to understand. He is 20 years old, so glad he has taken an interest in studying his Bible. 

No contractors today or tomorrow, so I am moving the store-bought canned goods from small bedroom and getting them into the cabinet that is on den side of kitchen counter next to dishwasher. We had that done that way because having a cabinet in corner like that, you can't use that wasted space. So now it is usable space. So tomorrow I will try to finish getting the food moved to that cabinet giving me room on the shelves for the food I will be canning this summer. Contractors will be here on Friday so will get as much as I can done tomorrow. Working hard on organizing everything as I can till the contractors are done and out of here. Contract date is to finish on April 17th. I don't think they will meet that deadline as they have not started the main bathroom and still have some small things to get done and finish putting the new floor down the hallway which he doesn't want to do till the demo on main bath is done. I'm just ready for it to be over with. It's been 3 months of this already. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, euphrasyne said:

Mother, can you tell me more about that cutting board?

I want to know, also!

Jeepers, I'm glad your lawn guy will continue to take care of you this year!

Littlesister, I'm glad that you are getting a bit done in spite of contractors not doing what they say!

Today, I will walk and walk dogs.
Make sweet potato treats for dogs.
Plant garlic and ginger- the last two items to plant for now.
Clean and organize linen closet- that will be fun.
Bible Study tonight--I think it's movie night.

• Like 3

The grandsons made this, including the blade and handle so DH could cut vegetables easier.  It does still take two hands but one only steadies the food.  His worse problem was trying to cut things like meat without it sliding away from him.  We found wonderful handicapped friendly cutting boards online with horrible prices.  They had corner edges that kept things from falling off and small spikes to hold food in place.  We improvised by cutting a square Tupperware sandwich holder in half diagonally and sliding a half under the corner of a small plastic cutting board.  We used rubberized shelf liner under it and it stayed together very well.  That rubber liner works for keeping a lot of things in place. 

07BC9346-8A08-4765-9030-3375BF56923E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very inventive Mother! There are are thankfully a lot more products out there to assist with mobility challenges.

My day was work work work and DH helped by taking pictures of the places the utility companies had marked so we will have for future reference for projects where we need to dig this summer. Also called the plumber to get them out to work on our vanity project. Foundation people are coming monday to start their project so that's helpful. DH also ran to Walmart to pick up a few things. I have put 5 lbs yeast on my list and bless his heart he thought it said 5 packets LOL, it's better than no yeast though I can make some sourdough starter with it which I prefer sourdough bread anyhow so that's fine for now. I don't really have the freezer space for that anyhow so it's probably was for the best. I now have 1 lb of salt too because I only had what was in the shaker before today. So many items I have to start from scratch on. I had 25 lbs of salt in Oregon LOL. Wasn't worth moving that but also thankfully cheap to restock up on that one. 

It's rainy and cold today so I can't plant my rosebushes yet but 4 of the 6 I ordered have arrived. I'm really looking forward to seeing them bloom :)

• Like 4

:wave:  have a safe trip and enjoy your time at the other house AND with the DGS.   But we will miss you :yar:

Already walked.
Paid bills.
DH has emergency doc appt. this morning- really struggling to breathe. I'll update later after appt.
This afternoon, need to grill pork chops and give one pup a bath.
Do a little weeding.

• Sad 3

Have a safe trip!

I was supposed to close on the new house today, but it isn't happening.  Instead I'm using the day off to work on taxes and try to get my medical records straightened out.  Dr Shoulder says if I get repair surgery now, it will just rip apart next time my neck causes spasms, that the neck is the problem.  Dr. Neck, the one I saw Monday, says I don't need neck surgery this year and probably won't next year, but that I desperately need shoulder surgery.

:tapfoot:

Meanwhile, Dr Brain sent me EEG reports after I filed a written request for EEG scans.  I called to ask when I could get the SCANS that I'd filed the written request for, and was transferred twice only to end up speaking to voice mail.  Got a little snippy describing the transfers and quoted CFR language into the voice mail.

Let's see what happens now.:tapfoot:

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

DH had endodontist this morning, so chased baby till he got home.  DD13 got her up and brought her downstairs before she left for school.

Paid bills.  /sorted out how to pay for wrist surgery next week.  After insurance it is going to be just over $5K out of pocket.  It was a really bad break.  radial and distal needing pins and nerve release.

DH came to me and said pandemic or not that huge bag of powdered milk is great.  It is land o lakes whole milk powder and baby is drinking it.

My preps have holes, but i think we may just work around them with other menus.

My house looks like a bomb went off, so im going to attempt to clean and get everyone else to help out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I was so happy when mine graduated to Nido.  We couldn't get whole milk powder from places like Land o Lakes then.  Kind of nice to get validation from the DH like that, isn't it?

• Like 3

Miki,  :pray:  for your husband. 

Euphraysne,  :pray:   for all to go well with your surgery and healing.

Jeepers, have a safe trip.  I look forward to hearing your reports on the stores. 

LittleSister,  I hope they get to work soon on your house.   When we had a new roof put on,  it took more than an entire winter and a threat of us consulting a lawyer to get it finished.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are working on house but very slow getting things done. Still waiting for the fireplace to be done and the backsplash tiles for kitchen to come in. Plus, they still haven't started the main bathroom nor finished the new floor. But at least I now have a shower door. They did put that in today. But I don't know when they will be back. Sometimes they don't come for a week. I think it makes me madder that they don't tell me they will not be here for a few days. So, I am stuck home waiting on them. Now I call the owner to find out each night if they are coming. But sometimes he doesn't text back so I just text and or call the next morning demanding to know what day they are coming that my life is on hold with not knowing when or if anyone is coming from day to day. He's still forgetful about letting me know, but he's getting a bit better about it. 

I have started to get the store-bought canned foods together in one place. This one cabinet on den side of kitchen works great for that. Still have some canned goods to move from bedroom to den. So tomorrow will be a busy day. I am determined to get this house and my supplies organized in a way I can find something around here. I want the construction to end so I can get my pantry set up in small bedroom. I want to get all the store-bought canned food off of those shelves and into cabinet in den and kitchen so I can use those shelfs for all the food I have canned. My kitchen cabinets will not hold that.

• Like 3

Mother, I love that cutting board. That was a great idea and really nice that the kids were able to come up with that idea.

Jeepers, have a safe and great trip. 

Miki, :pray: for your DH. Hope he gets better very soon. 

Ambergris, Hope everything goes well with that EEG. Prayers going out for things to go well. 

Edited by Littlesister
hit wrong button yet again.
  • Thanks 2

Miki hope your husband is ok!! Jeepers have an awesome trip! Euphrasyne hope the surgery goes smoothly and glad it's not more for you, 5k is a chunk of change but glad its not going to break the bank. Ambergris hope you get the records in the way you need soon. I'm guessing they didn't realize what you were actually asking for. 

Littlesister really hope they get the construction finished for you soon. I relate to the dragging on and on and never knowing when they'll show up. We have the plumbers on call now to show up "sometime in the next week or two" sigh. I don't know how people who work outside the home ever coordinate with the workmen! I am so grateful I work from home right how.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Praying for Miki's DH,  euphrasyne's hand surgery to go well, and for Jeepers trip. Also, for anyone that I may have missed I hope all goes well. 

Weekends are the only days I can get things done around here since contractors don't work on weekends.  So, I have moved almost all the can goods to the cabinet on den side of kitchen. I can now see what I need at a glance instead of things being everywhere. Need to get the upper kitchen cabinets cleaned out as well. My energy has run out. But need to keep going. So just taken a short break for now. Dust is everywhere so trying to clean that up as I go. Only issue is that they still have to demo the main bathroom which will create more dust. They are going to put up plastic to keep it to a minimal, but the fine cement dust still seems to find its way all over house. Had a very old picture frame to brake as it was plaster of Paris. It lasted for many years. Took all the pictures out of it as it used to hang on wall. Dust was all behind the glass in that. So, I will be taken picture frames apart when this is all done and over to clean dust out of that. Such fun. Let the sneezing begin, it is tearing up my allergies. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got in some beans, onions, salt, and so on at (sigh) Amazon prices and packaged them up while DS napped.  Went in to the grocery store and found that the dried blackeye peas were $1.89 a pound, which is a hair cheaper than the cheapest Amazon price ($50.98 for 24 lbs with subscription).  Still cheaper than two pounds of wheat or six pounds of barley for a day's pay.  Picked up nine pounds, which filled my planned container plus a quart jar overflow container.  Filled up all my available containers with the week's shipments and today's store run.  I need to go to the dollar store and pick up another storage container or a couple more (mayyyyybe?) to fill. 

• Like 5

Today I put netting over my cabbage and BRussel sprouts I never have luck with them so I’m hoping for the best . Fixed the ground cover where we pulled it up and tilled where the corn was last year. Got my onions in the ground and all my starts moved to the greenhouse. We built the greenhouse last summer to-get a early jump on our growing season. Last week my 11 year old helped me inventory my pantry on my iPad , I want to go thru  my spices next . Hoping for a productive weeks vacation . 

• Like 5

Oh, how annoying!  I spent a good chunk of the morning with a spreadsheet, putting in all the goods I've bought in the past four months.  Only to save the blank form on top of the final version.  ARRGH!

This is, unfortunately, something I keep doing at the office too.  

• Sad 2

Ambergris I have done that as well so irritating to lose all that work. I have taken to changing the document name adding the date and time every time I save now if I'm drafting something important to keep myself from doing that, and then just deleting the one I don't want. 

I really really overdid it today and pretty much everything hurts especially my shoulder that I just finished doing PT on. I don't want to have to go get an MRI but I think I might need to. It's fine as long as I don't use it :tapfoot:  I planted 6 peony bushes and two bleeding hearts outside in my flower beds today (which took me 2 hrs since I also had to weed the area first!), and also worked on the bathroom trim. II repaired all the holes in the plaster, and then had to sand laying on the floor using my left hand wedged under the sink to try to sand that flat and also sand the baseboard to prep to repaint it. I got it done but wow was that awkward. It's ready to paint now but I do need to still tape it off and do the painting. Have to do that when puppy is asleep so she wont get into the wet paint. She's still so tiny she can walk behind the radiator :laughkick: and since I'm only repainting the part where the new vanity cabinet will do it's really only a corner of the bathroom. Will do the rest later but that's easier to reach. I probably will need to attach the paintbrush to a stick to reach back there since I am NOT going to crawl under there again like that. Going to have to go take some ibuprofen after today to get to sleep! I keep forgetting I'm not 20 and have no bounce back. This is the worst part of the project though and this week hopefully the new cabinet will go in. Have to also lay the vinyl tiles before it goes in but I need them to take the old sink out first because I want the new flooring to not have cut outs where the old legs are. Lots of little pieces to do with this project. Sounds like I'm complaining but I'm actually having fun with it except the aches and pains. 

Prep wise I had a conversation today with Ben, who at almost 11 is very aware of everything going on in Ukraine and really feeling sad about their plight. We had a good talk about how yes it is sad and should never happen. I used the conversation to talk about being more self sufficient (we had also watched a documentary today about the global supply chain that the WSJ put together which was fascinating) and how we need to put in a big garden and maybe get chickens so we can be sure we have good fresh food and can take care of our family better with good nutrition and having some food we produce ourselves. He said he thought it would be a good idea to have our own little farm, and then we won't starve like some people are going to do because of Ukraine not producing as much wheat. Honestly it breaks my heart my 11 yr old understands this so astutely but I am glad he sees the importance of doing what you can to take care of your own family. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Wow! Sounds like everyone has been very busy. I bought some more canned veggies this weekend and a flat of cannelloni beans. DH had put them on top of my deep freeze because everything was quite a mess in my pantry downstairs. So, I cleaned it up and now have more room to stock quite a few more flats! I also completely forgot about the built in work bench in our shop. The drawers really aren't very good for storage for DH as they are too big and deep. He tends to hoard and can't find what he is looking for. We used about four of them years ago and canned quite a bit of food. Well, I forgot about most of it in there. UGH! It was things we try not to eat too much of, such as pie filling, jelly and such. I dumped them and cleaned them up. Bummer that it was wasted, but lesson learned on what we will eat. I am going to can some white chicken chili this weekend if I get the time. Then work on what to do from there. I'm just going to be much more intentional with what I can. I know we will eat chili and canned meats and I will eat apple, pear or peach sauce. So, going to try and stick with those foods. Anyways excited to find more room to store preps:) It's the little things. 

• Like 5