MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Annarchy still praying all goes well. 

Ambergris,  Praying your back will get much better and the pain goes away.

Been a crazy few days. The main bathroom has been demoed, and plumbing and electric almost done. Sheetrock is next and then tiling. Kitchen tiles have been sitting on counter for 2 days but not put in yet. The wood stove has been ordered and on it's way. Won't need it now till next winter, but that is fine. 

Grandson is coming in from Washington state to stay. Will be staying with me for a long while. He could not make it at the high prices of apartments there. So will settle down here. Get on his feet again and find his own place as soon as he gets a job. I think he's going to try to get his old job back if it is available. Hope it is. Full time and he loved that job. He is going to do a lot to help me around house and with garden. Plus, next year he is going to start cutting the grass. Have to get a lawnmower again. Thinking just a good push mower or have son in law bring back the one I had. He never used it.

I have not had much sleep in the past 5 days as grandson is getting so excited about coming home again that he keeps calling me at 3 am my time. Can't get it through his head that I am 3 hours ahead of him and then my granddaughter that lives their calls. So, two of them driving me crazy all night. Nice to know I am still loved but really 3 am. By the time I get them off phone it is just enough time to get ready for the contractors to come in. I am beat for sure. He lands at 7.06 on Wed. morning. So, it will be fun with him trying to sleep and all the construction going on. What can I say? Revenge is super sweet. Keep me up all night and the contractors can keep him up all day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Momo said:

Somehow his body made adjustments and created new pathways for circulation.  It wasn't ideal but it was enough to keep him alive for way longer than we expected. He would not eat the heart healthy diet so he never did.  He said he wanted to eat what he wanted to and that was that. Upsetting to me but he was an adult so it was his choice.

Momo, that sounds just like DH.  Doc said, “God makes a way for the body to work.”  We made an apt with that doc, instead of going back to his cardio, that hasn’t done anything, but give him meds, which has caused continuous repeated SVT’s. Sigh. He’s had a few episodes since he got home.  I almost called 911 last night/this morning at 3:30 am.. but his heart converted back to normal beats, after an 1/2 hr.  200+ bpm is not good, especially since he just had the stints put in on Monday.  Sigh.  I’m documenting all his episodes, regardless when he says, “no big deal”. Yes it is a big deal!.  He really needs to tell the doc what’s happening.  I’m so very tired of dealing with it. His worst was 300 bpm,& didn’t stop for 4 hours, slowed down to 200 for 24 hours, before his cardio doc got him in…. I am concerned beyond words.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

I got most of my phone calls caught up today. Made two long over due calls to a couple of cousins. One just lost his wife two days ago. She was 75 years old. Dang, how did we all get to be so old. I'm right in the middle of 30 of us and I'm 2 months shy of 70 so I expect more of us passing sooner rather than later. 

But I also got some more banking done. 'Thanks' to paying off a set of tires and getting the carpets/vents cleaned, gas, food and some prepping items, I racked up enough points for three $100.00  gift cards to Wal-Mart. When they arrive I'm taking DIL back to Sam's Club. I also called about the over charge on the Indiana toll road...again. A $40.50 charge that should have been $8.00+. They said it would take around a month to get it approved. :rolleyes:

Then I did something I said I wasn't going to do for awhile. I went back to Amish country to the bulk food store. All the food shortage talk lit a fire up under me. I got some more pop corn and some more corn meal. I'll repackage it tomorrow. I'll tell how much I got tomorrow as it's still out in the Jeep. But I got quite a bit. I also got some of those Kluski noodles in bulk. They seem to be starchier or thicker than regular noodles. I want to use them for beef and noodles and chicken and noodles to cook up for freezer meals, just like my MIL used to make. I bought quite a lot and only spent $60.46 and $13.00 of that was for an Easter book. I think I spent half of that amount in gas going down there.

I drove right by Lehman's and didn't stop in. That probably saved me a bundle. But I stayed focused. I wanted to go to Hobby Lobby but for the life of me I couldn't remember why. So I drove on by them too. 

Two Randy Travis CD's that I made got me from down there to up here. One country and one gospel. We sang all the way. I had forgotten just how well he used to sing with that deep voice. Bless his heart. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Sending best wishes that your DH's heart calms down Annarchy that's really scary! I hope they can get that under control quickly for him. 

Sounds like everyone else is doing plenty to keep busy. The electricians were here all week and got my LR, Dining room and the current kitchen re-wired and the foyer and basement. Still lots to re-do upstairs but they will come back next week. No sign of the plumbers yet but I think I'll wait to follow up with them until the electricians are done. Got my lawn mowed today had to hire someone to do it since we don't have a new lawnmower yet. Anyone have a riding lawnmower they really like? We are still figuring out our options. 

I have been very fatigued this week not sure why. So going to take it easy this weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So……

The water heater decided to spew water!  Didn’t notice, until it flooded the bathroom and kitchen!  

Can we say “stress”?  

Waiting for the plumber…. On a Friday night…. :gaah:

IDK if I can handle any more….  

• Sad 11

Oh, no!  Not more.  I don’t have any words to help but I do have 🙏 and :hug3:.  Try to get rest.  

• Like 2

Annarchy…no words but lots of hugs and prayers for all your dealing with. 

DH got to come home Fri after being offshore almost a month. My friend and I planned out a major shopping haul for Sat. We went to 4 grocery stores and Sams. I was absolutely SHOCKED at the prices but we really stocked up on everything we could find on the sales. We also are working on putting together a plan to get together on weekends to work on projects for both households like making our own laundry detergent, organizing our preps and batch cooking. DH called while we were out to say he had to turn around and go back offshore so he wasn’t here today for Easter. Sometimes this Oilfield life seriously stinks but I’m trying not to complain since the work could grind to a screeching stop at any moment. Had all but two of my kids here so it was a nice lunch then I dropped the leftover ham as I was putting it away…complete loss as the dogs made it to the kitchen before I could get myself off the floor😂

Hope you all have a great afternoon

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Ambergris, I hope and pray all goes well for your DH. I think somehow, I had posted on here earlier about a week ago and the computer went crazy and somehow while typing on whatcha doing today it went to another area. But maybe by now you found it. 

Went to store yesterday and things are really getting higher and higher. After grandson gets here Wed. morning, I am going to let him rest and maybe on Thursday we will both go out and stock up. Him for things he really likes to eat and then also my general stocking up. I am trying to get out at least twice a week to a different store each time. Trying to buy up all the sale items and also double checking the dates.  Not the best dates on a lot of canned goods these days. So, things will be getting much worse. 

When my grandson gets here from Washington state, he said he is going to help me finish getting the other raised bed together and we are going to get the garden going. So will need to hit the feed and seed store soon. I want to see if they have any more of the gallon jars. If not, I will start putting my flour in mylar bags with 02 absorbers. Then in a metal or plastic trash can for storage. Need to buy another trashcan. For mylar foods it works great and holds a lot more smaller packs. I try to pack the food in meal size portions or for at least what I will use within a couple of months size portions size. 

• Like 7

Not today but my haul in Amish Country at the bulk food stores on Thursday. I spent $60.00 and $13.00 of that was for an Easter book. I got corn meal, pop corn, Kluski noodles and wide noodles. I already had some pop corn so what got Thursday will fill a 2 gallon bucket. Probably a little more. I'm going to Food Saver the noodles and then put them in Mylar bags. I'm afraid the noodles will poke through the plastic bags. 

I sealed up 2 half gallon and a quart jar of Cream of Wheat last week.  Hopefully I'll get some pictures of some of my dehydrated veggies next week. 

I suck at taking pictures.  :sEm_blush:

Forgot to add that Mrs. Miller's (Esther) noodles are made down there in Amish country, in Fredericksburg, so they are cheaper at the bulk food stores there. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Jeepers
Forgot to say..
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Stopped by an older bachelor's place after church to chat, wish him a blessed Easter, and pick up some frozen rabbits from him. He said he was blood type A positive and swore off all kinds of foods because of it. We are the recipients of his butchered and frozen rabbits. He also offered me all kinds of perennials .... bee-balm, lovage, anise, garlic, nettles, and others that I can't remember. He's like a Eules Gibbons.  :whistling:  I need to get back over there with my shovel and bring home some perennials. He said that he loves honey, so I'll take a quart over to him. Nice guy and terrific with the youth in the church.  :happy0203:

Edited by Homesteader
  • Like 9

Long week.  DH is stable.  But, hardly eating.  Maybe as much as MIL. Tbs of this & that.  Leaving a lot of leftovers.  I even cooked 1 serving today, with a bunch of leftovers….  :sigh:

We go back to the Dr on Wednesday….I have a bunch of questions I’ve written down…. He had to quit a  med, because it was giving him uncontrollable SVT’s, exactly 45 minutes after taking it, not good…at all.

Haven't slept well, at all, listening to him… he’s moaning with shortness of breath when he sleeps…  disconcerting.  

Mom, is more clingy than ever… I won’t even go there…

This too shall pass… patience, endurance & strength… God is providing… thankfully.  Amen!

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

Often times when a person is put on a diet for medical reasons they are so frightened they will eat almost nothing. Not to mention that many medications take away the appetite.  Keep his fluid intake where it needs to be and get you answers Wednesday. Until then, just do the best you can. Reassure DH and MIL of your love.  Then just feel the love. It will help you too.  :hug3:

• Like 8

I'm praying that your DH is feeling better today, @Annarchy!  I agree, very disconcerting when you are doing everything you can think of to do.  I'm glad you have questions written down.  That's a big help!  I put them in my phone as I think of them.  I forget, if I wait until I can write on something.

Yesterday, went to Sunday School and Church first.
Walked dogs.
Made stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and pear crumble to go with the crockpot chicken made Saturday. DH's friend was a no show. Didn't even let us know he changed his mind until we texted him at dinner time. That's a good way to not be invited in the future. We will see.

Today, I will call our homeowner's insurance company about the fire next door as we noted smoke damage to our eves, this weekend. They need to inspect and make sure the shingle didn't melt in that area since it is a new roof.
Have to go to Walmart. Yuk!
Walk when I get home.
Laundry.

You all have a good day!

• Like 4

Twenty-five pounds of finely ground corn meal completely fills a 3.5 gallon bucket plus a ten-cup container, and leaves five cups for the kitchen.

Two one pound, twelve-ounce packages of slow grits will fill a ten-cup container with a little airspace.

Two 2-lb bags of quick grits will fill a half-gallon jar with roughly a cup, eyeball-measured in the bag, left over for the kitchen.

Four pounds of small red beans will fill a half-gallon jar to the lid with a slightly heaping cup left over.

My guess is that settling would make these containers hold more after a little jostling, but topping them off might not be worth buying more.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Splint came off yesterday and I am in a removable brace now.  I can wash my hand.  :cele:  I have limited movement in my fingers and can barely twitch my thumb.   6 weeks of physical therapy coming up.

We stopped by Aldi on the way home.  No longer carrying several things, not even shelf space for it:  asian sauces, pancake on a stick, small cartons of heavy cream, some pasta sauce, rice items, certain bakery mixes,etc.  I wasnt looking to buy all that i noticed, but i noticed.

• Like 8

Congratulations on you splint removal, Euphrasyne.  Just think, full showers or baths :happy0203:.   Physical therapy really helped me.  With my nerve damage I still do the hand/finger exercises and continue to see tiny improvements, not day to day but at least month to month.  Nerves heal slow. 

We hope to get to ALDIs this week.  We haven’t been for a couple months and have a long list. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Ambergris said:

My guess is that settling would make these containers hold more after a little jostling, but topping them off might not be worth buying more.

I bounce my jars on a folded dish towel as I fill them at the 1/4 and half mark. It helps me fit more in. If I bounce too hard the dogs think it's a knock at the door and start barking. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

That sounds like my dogs, @Cricket!  

Walked first.
Young lady is here that helps keep this 3 dog home from becoming a shambles. Thank you Lord!
Will walk dogs after she leaves.
Prune some trees.
Weed in potato patch.
Call senior club members from Church and remind them of meeting this week.
Call local VA as VA hospital still doesn't have oxygen machine order for DH. That is 2 weeks after it was supposed to be called in.

• Like 1

I went to get my tires changed out today. I finally got the ones I wanted. Balance and rotation were free with the tires. They were nice and gave me a free something or another. I don't remember what he said but he showed me a diagram and I told him it had been pulling to the left a lot. Maybe an alignment? The spare is new too. Hopefully I'm done with tires for a long while. 

There was an old man in there sitting across from me who was reading and then fell asleep. Exact same thing happened to me the last time I was there. My Kindle went sliding across the floor. :sEm_blush: They keep it warm in there and there is no TV. He woke up and we had a good laugh when I told him the same thing had happened to me. We sat there for another 1 1/2 hours talking about air planes and helicopters. It was a nice afternoon. I has the gift of gab. :D

I got home and one of my pantry shelves had been delivered. There are 2 more coming today. It seemed strange that they were all sent separately. Each one even had its own shipping email notice from Amazon too. Hope they are all the same, I struggled getting it in the Jeep but I made it. One down and two to go. The others will have to wait a day or two before I tackle them. But at least I know I can do it.  Thanks Becca_Anne and Ambergris for putting me on to them.  :hug3:

Another evening with Advil and the heating pad. 

• Like 4

So glad Jeepers that they aren't too heavy for you to move. Euphrasyne that must be a huge relief to get that off and PT will help a lot I'm sure. I just finished 6 wks for my shoulder and doing it daily on my own since has been really good for it. 

Electricians still working on my house rewiring. So much more than we expected needs to be done but I can rest easy knowing it will be right when it is done. It's been beautiful outside and I am enjoying the small changes outside I can see from where I sit to work. Beautiful Redbud tree across the street, and my new peonies are coming up where I planted them. I found my sewing box too so I am working on getting my sewing space set up next. I have lost almost all the seedlings I planted really frustrating but I don't have my garden rototilled yet since it has been so wet and I don't have a long enough extension cord. Hoping to get that done this weekend so I can go buy plants (tomatoes) to put in then I'll just direct seed the rest. I'm not going to let it frustrate me just roll with it.

• Like 4