MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Today was MS Second Day Effect ......  :0327:    In bed most of the day.  :pc_coffee:    I get too many news articles on the computer now.  :buttercup:    But by tonite, I'm less head-dizzy and disconnected to legs/feet.  DH adjusted me...have needed that for days and days.  So....I wait this out.  It comes from having two FULL days of heavy activity with cleaning and repacking the truck.  Oh well, that project is difficult to split over a week's time.  Just plow forward and pay the price later.  :shrug:  

Less WIND today and by evening, it's pretty calm out there.  :amen:   Not such a crazy day with multiple wildfires in every direction.  Most of those are now contained or out.  :amen:    There was one near my mom's house too....over the ridge and down a ways.  Not next door.  They've finally got that one contained too.  

So.....of course the trip to Iowa and staying with my mom for 3 wks has disturbed much of my organization for Stuff I Need No Matter What

I'll really have to start over on my EVAC list.  Cuz part of the function of those lists is to note WHERE to find any of the items on there.  Good question.  I can't find my Katadyn Pocket Water Filter!!!!   :runcirclsmiley2:  I looked and looked and thot and thot before the IA trip.  It would have been something to bring along {in case of WW3} !!!  :rolleyes:  But I never found it.  I searched ALL  {I think} of my EVAC type bags.  I searched them all again, trying to find some pocket I'd missed.  :scratchhead:   What on earth did I do with that???  Besides my SAK ....and my 115 Buck knife....  it's probably my next most useful emergency tool.   Of course I did bring my Sawyer Mini to Iowa.  That's always in my suitcase  ...er, purse anyway.  { I said for years I shouldn't carry one....and this is why.  It weighs a ton! }   But....it HAS to be here somewhere!  I've seen it within the past year or so.  Wasn't in the truck while it took up space at the mechanic's yard.    Hmmm....

MtRider  ....still trying to "land on the planet" after these past wks....  :shrug: 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Thanks, Becca Anne.  Maybe on my less-able days I can sit down there surrounded with TOOLS and dismantle inert vacuums and such.  Or...if all else fails....put on protection and use a sledge hammer.  :shrug:

Ambergris....you've been gone and I've been gone.  I haven't had a chance to go back a few weeks to read posts.  You mentioned "twins" making pie ...with assistance.  ???  Did your household increase?  Was your area hit with any of those persistent spring storms in the past few weeks...months?

MtRider    ....GLAD you're back, btw!  :hug3:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Midnightmom said:

Yes, but the test strips are propriatary to EACH meter. You can buy a meter for "cheap," but the cost of the strips will kill your budget!

What meter do you use?

For many years I just use the Wal-Mart one, Reli On. It's just a cheapy but it gives me an accurate reading. I'm pre so I just have to measure it against other readings. If it were to spike out of the blue I'd need to be concerned. Same situation with my crazy blood pressure. The strips are pretty cheap though. They are $17.00 for 100. 

But here's the thing, I went on Amazon and they only had 3 boxes (100 each box) left. I read about them and found out that they are discontinuing my model and have made a more expensive one and the test strips for that machine are $24.00 for 50 strips according to Amazon. I bought all 3 boxes to be delivered Monday. I also ordered the little 33 gauge lancets. My fingers are getting so sore. But to be fair, I use the same one for 4-6 pokes :sEm_blush: .

Wal-Mart had about 8 boxes left. I only took 4 of them. And this time they weren't locked up. Probably want to get rid of them. The other Wal-Mart is already sold out of them. Tomorrow I'm going to look up the button battery size and make sure I have some extras. I plan to keep this machine running as long as my strips last. Plus I have an extra machine...somewhere. Hopefully not in my damp basement.  

I didn't do much shopping around at WM. I did stock up on some canned meat though. I got 4 more cans of Keystone chicken and 4 more of the beef. With what I have, that will do me for now. Also 6 small cans of the Wal-Mart pulled pork and of the roast beef. And 2 more cans of the breakfast meat...Bacon Spam :D.   Last week I got 18 small cans of smoked ham from Meijer's. With all of that plus the tuna I already have, I'm feeling pretty good in the meat department. Also about 30 cans of Vienna sausages and some hash. It was an expensive night but I paid for it all with my free Wal-Mart gift cards from my credit card points. 

I also got 4 of those silicone type trays with 6 bigger compartments. It said for ice cubes but they would be pretty big cubes. I plan to use them for freezing large eggs. I heard regular ice cube trays don't quite hold a large egg. Don't know for sure about that. Oh and 6 small-ish jars of cocoa nut oil for cooking. 

I keep saying I'm not going to buy any more food to haul to Indiana but then I read about another disaster in our food chain supply and the next thing I know    :shopping:  <--- Jeepers.  

• Like 6
4 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Jeepers,  put on pants, too, for that shopping trip.   :24:  We don't want them running you out of OH before you've packed everything up.  

Yes maam. I got all drawered up :008Laughing:

I'm not worried about being run out of Ohio. I know a couple of ladies I can get to hold things on to the Jeep for me while I race for the Indy boarder. :cheeky-smiley-067:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, Mother said:

That's a neat little set up. Mine doesn't use the liquid solution or have the chart on the side. Mine is more idiot proof. Stick the finger, put blood on the strip and insert in the machine. The number pops up. My nighttime is usually between 98-110. For some reason my morning number, after the overnight fast, is usually a little higher. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, the solution is just for checking the tester the first time or perhaps if your numbers seem really off.  I never use it at all.  These you just pop in a test strip (conveniently stored inside), use the lancet to prick a finger or even in the forearm.  It needs only a very tiny bit. You touch the strip to the blood and have a reading in about five seconds.  I like it is all self contained.  The lancet sets in an elastic loop on the side of the kit. Great for travel, not much bigger than a medicine bottle.  And it’s cheaper at a hair over $15 for the whole thing, fifty test strips and all, than most just for the strips.  Plus I’ve checked it against the lab tests several different times and it’s always been within a few points.  

I have my low blood sugar under control at usually low 90’s fasting with food at night before bed.  It used to sometimes be as low as 50 fasting.  What was and sometimes still is a problem is my Blood sugar going up like it should after a meal but then at a half hour tanking and not coming back to pre food level.

• Like 5

I got adopted by some teenagers, now twenty.  They stayed with me every weekend until one went to college.  The college one comes about once a month still, but (a) is around a lot of young careless/carefree people and (b) is moving on with life and less interested in lessons on biscuit-making, pie-baking, and so on.  The other twin still comes (and reaches things I can't reach while she's here).

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm putting off a trip to Wal-Mart. I don't wanna go. I have only one test strip thingy for my blood monitor thingy and they are the only one who sells them around here. It's no huge deal. I don't really keep up with it like I should. I'm 'just' pre diabetic but lately I've been checking it more often. They keep them locked up so I'll have to scrounge up an assistant and they will take them to the register where I'll have to wait for someone else to find them again. They are just test strips, not medication. Sigh.  Maybe they sell them online. Pffft. Might as well put on my big girl panties (Literally!) and get it over with. 

I usually order things from Walmart and have them delivered to my mom's apartment. Would you be able to order them for car-side delivery (or whatever they call that service)? Like you, I am not diabetic but I test regularly. Since my sister lost her vision as a result of diabetes, I am a bit paranoid. I bought my own test kit from Amazon and can get the strips and sharps delivered within a day or two.

Edited by themartianchick
Edited to add one more detail
  • Like 4

Hapy spring!  I am getting re-acquainted with my aches and pains, old and new.  BUT the garden is in and is going like gangbusters.

The snails are out too, but that copper tape keeps them away from the plants.  We were checking it (it does work loose, so some "fence riding" so to speak is required) and Mary found a snail.  She said "Lets see if this really works" so whe rouched the critter to the tape.  

Holy moly, it works, that snail jumped (didn't know they could do that) and went the other way as fast as it could manage.  Hooray!  Something that works as advertised.  At last.

Once the veggies were is we put flowers in....lots of them.  We do have to get some more "cat mace" online, it is the only thing that keep the cats out of the outdoor litter boxes.  And we have 3 new babies.  Mom is new at it but doing a wonderful job.  We fixed up the bomb shelter (as we call the cat house next to the front door) for her and the littles.  One of the quieter males likes to sleep in there with the family and watches when she goes out to stretch her legs and such.  He healed up nicely - quicker than the vet bill is getting paid, LOL.  

But he is such a sweetie and sooooo gentle.  

Our wild raspberries are blooming like crazy!  Im looking forward to picking some and canning some.  From all accounts on the internet they do not mush when canned, so they will be tasty blue-black nuggets of anthocyanins.  On another natural foods note, when I went for my checkup my cholesterol numbers were PERFECT!  i have been trying for years to get my good cholesterol up and my cholesterol rations balanced properly.  Eating that one clove of raw garlic daily seems to have done the trick.  Good stuff increased, bad stuff decreased more, and ratio was good for the first time in my adult life.  My doc did not say anything about the garlic, but she sure was tickled with the results.  She said all my blood results were "perfect"

My cataractr surgery is all done.  I start driving again this morning.  It sure is wonderful, but all those eyedrops (!) were a pain.  6 times a day for glaucoma, then add prednisone and antibiotics for the newly fixed eyes, and I was eye-dropping 12 times a day!  At least I learned to hit the target reliably, LOL.

Now I am adjusting to using reading glasses, instead of distance glasses.  It sure is nice being able to see again.

Easter was a trip (Im in the choir) and we sang Maundy Thursday (as Mary called it) Good Friday, HOly Satyurday, AND twice on Easter.  Mary was still driving for me, and she enjoyed it, but much was strange to her as the Lutherans do not do the same stuff as the Catholics.  But she loves to sing, so I got her a hymnal and she joined in and could follow along, somewhat.  She found it interesting, if puzzling at times.Ladies, I enjoyed reading up all of what I had missed, but now I have to get ready for church.  

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

But here's the thing, I went on Amazon and they only had 3 boxes (100 each box) left. I read about them and found out that they are discontinuing my model and have made a more expensive one and the test strips for that machine are $24.00 for 50 strips according to Amazon. I bought all 3 boxes to be delivered Monday. I also ordered the little 33 gauge lancets. My fingers are getting so sore. But to be fair, I use the same one for 4-6 pokes :sEm_blush: .

I realized that the possibilities that I mentioned had already been explored and wanted to add:

I use this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Care-Touch-Diabetes-Testing-Kit/dp/B076VSN7TR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=HWG8T5AJE5UN&keywords=glucose+meter&qid=1650804280&sprefix=glucose+meter%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-5

100 test strips cost $22.99

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Despite the best-laid plans, I have not had time to post in the past few days. Friday was the day for me to clean out my office to facilitate my move into a new position with my employer. I start in my new building on Monday. Unfortunately, Friday morning was the day that my mom had to go to the hospital. I sent my mom's aide with her because there was no way that I could go AND take care of my work obligations. She was diagnosed with pneumonia in one lung and is now in the ICU. We are all pretty worried about her, as the ICU only allows one visitor per day. My sister and I both visited on Saturday and Sunday as we didn't know about the rule. Yesterday was the first time that we were even told of its existence. This could cause some issues for mom's recovery because she generally doesn't feel safe in the hospital due to a situation that happened last year.

We are hopeful that she will be able to pull through this, but it is really scary. One thing that I have learned about being a caretaker of a parent is that you learn to stop "reacting" to everything. We've made many trips to the local hospitals over the past few years and it has almost become routine. This is the first trip to the ICU and it doesn't feel the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Jeepers,

My “One Touch Mini” died.  25 years old….  Walgreens brand meter, comes with a zippered pouch to keep everything together.  Test strips, were $15. for 50.  The other day, while I was there, I picked up another vial of strips.  The pharmacist came over & asked my opinion about their brand.  I told him it was easy to use and appears to be very accurate.  He said he was interested in the customers opinion, because he doesn’t want to recommend a bad product.

6322DF98-FD9C-4F61-B620-1607C9B587B5.jpeg9DFEE0AD-F3CA-4729-BF71-31F5A96C78CE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Praying for your mom, Martianchick!

I have Sunday School, Church and then a "potato bar" youth fundraiser this morning.
Will come home and walk dogs.
Hopefully, plant a few more starts of peppers that I got yesterday and weed in garden this afternoon.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, themartianchick said:

I usually order things from Walmart and have them delivered to my mom's apartment. Would you be able to order them for car-side delivery (or whatever they call that service)? Like you, I am not diabetic but I test regularly. Since my sister lost her vision as a result of diabetes, I am a bit paranoid. I bought my own test kit from Amazon and can get the strips and sharps delivered within a day or two.

I think with the 4 boxes I bought and the 3 I ordered, I'll be okay for a few years. I don't know if it means anything or not but they do have an expiration date. I think we are in the same boat about testing. I don't really have to but I like to keep a check on my levels from time to time. I'm sorry about your sister. :( I never thought about that, even though I should. I get a little concerned with my kidneys. My back hurts all the time so my attention is always drawn to that area.

• Sad 2
4 hours ago, themartianchick said:

I realized that the possibilities that I mentioned had already been explored and wanted to add:

I use this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Care-Touch-Diabetes-Testing-Kit/dp/B076VSN7TR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=HWG8T5AJE5UN&keywords=glucose+meter&qid=1650804280&sprefix=glucose+meter%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-5

100 test strips cost $22.99

That meter looks similar to mine except mine didn't come with any of the accessories.  I just ordered some more lancets. I got the tiny 33 gauge. I think most people use the 28-30 gauge. I hate needles and jabs.

Thanks for the info Annarchy. Nearly all of the monitors look alike. I'm with you though. I'm going cheap inexpensive.  

Last night I was looking for test strips and chanced that my Walgreens might have my brand. They didn't but I noticed they closed at 6:00pm on a Saturday night. Not too long ago they were open 24/7. Then they were open until midnight. Now this. Our Burger King still closes at 3:00 in the afternoon because of lack of help. And the one at the other end of town closed down completely. I stopped in Wendy's last night and got a salad. It seems to have shrink in half and some of the chicken in it was dry and brittle. Not worth it at all. They were out of chocolate Frosties so they gave me a free vanilla one. Won't be buying one of those. About like a cup of milk. Then last week I drove thru the Dairy Queen for a grilled chicken sandwich. They are good. But I had to wait so long that they gave me a card for another one free. Worth the wait but still... Two weeks ago I drove thru Taco Bell for a Pepsi and a Sprite. I drove up to the window and the girl handed them to me and said, "On the house." I asked why and she said, "Just because." How nice! So in the last couple of weeks I got a free Frosty, Pepsi, Sprite and chicken sandwich. Maybe I look old and destitute. Whatever, I'll take it. No shame in my game. One thing I noticed just thinking about it though. All of the handouts came from young people probably in their 20's. :shrug:  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@Jeepers

If you have a CVS nearby (you can also order online) you might want to check this one out. CVS frequently has sales on their "brand" items, and that's when I get them. This is my back-up meter. I use the Bayer One Touch Ultra 2 as my main meter, but only because my insurance covers the cost of their strips.

The "kit" includes the meter, a lancing device and a carrying case even though it's not pictured.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-true-metrix-go-meter-kit-prodid-1310077?skuid=173140&cgaa=QWxsb3dHb29nbGVUb0FjY2Vzc0NWU1BhZ2Vz&cid=ps_dme_pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pOTBhCTARIsAHF23fJlwIl4r4TX1fCBtwaZ7b-KDT7zepAQKMrCne-apRyDnfsCWpApfXIaAt7NEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Thanks 4

So many meters. I had no idea. I just grabbed one off the Wal-Mart shelf about a decade ago. I'll check them out when I run out of strips. When they arrive tomorrow I'll have 700 of them. Should last me for awhile. I'm pretty sure my insurance wouldn't pay for anything unless I was diagnosed as a diabetic.

About 4 months ago I started getting a statement every month (saying this is not a bill) for around $15.00 for something I had done in 2017. I don't even remember what it was. Maybe an x-ray. If I owed it I'd pay it but they don't seem to want the money. And 2017 seems a little late to start collecting. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Be sure to check your insurance.   I have really good insurance because Dh  works for the department of the Navy (civilian but ex army enlisted).   It is the best according to every doctor I've ever seen.  I get free meter and strips through livelongo through blue cross FEP.  It pays 100% of everything: meter, strips, and sticks.   I do not like the meter as much as some others I've had but everything is free so.....I use that.   I'm hypoglycemic and tend to run in the 40s to 70s.  

The downside is livelongo reports everything online and tracks it so my BS is in some database somewhere.  I decided that it was worth my privacy to be free.   Make your own decision.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Less WIND today and by evening, it's pretty calm out there.  :amen:   Not such a crazy day with multiple wildfires in every direction.  Most of those are now contained or out.  :amen:    There was one near my mom's house too....over the ridge and down a ways.  Not next door.  They've finally got that one contained too.  

https://news.yahoo.com/wildfires-sweep-west-southwest-us-174102347.html    Quote: 

Seven hundred miles north in Colorado – which has been beset by wildfires since just before New Year’s Eve – crews were battling at least seven blazes over the weekend. Residents were still reeling from fires in and around Boulder County starting at the end of December which destroyed entire swathes of neighbourhoods.

The “number of red flag warnings that have been issued this April is higher than any April in at least the last 15 years,” the Denver Post reported last week.  END QUOTE

:yar:  My optimism may have been a bit premature.....  There were still wild fires going, even "in town" [not my mom's village].  And new ones starting all week.  Saw a new one last nite...due west of us.  A few miles and mountain "ripples" between there and us but....  :unsure:   All of us seem to be holding our breath.  Our fire season usually doesn't start til June.  Last I checked the calendar, it's APRIL ...as in:   Spring Showers:grinning-smiley-044:  

HOWEVER....I woke this morning to SNOW!  :darlenedance:Gorgeous.  Beautiful.  SNOW!!!  :amen:  :amen:   Still coming down!  The trees are all laden down with the heavy wet snow of springtime in the Rockies.  ...which could cause some issues with power lines coming down if it gets too heavy.  But with heavy snow everywhere and not a breath of wind....I don't think a fire would erupt from that source right now.  Loss of furnace, mebbe.  Oh well.  The heavy winter sleeping bags are once again tucked away properly in my truck now.    :hapydancsmil:

In CO we get Spring Snow Showers!  :happy0203:   That's good too.  Just about ANYthing is better than wildfire!  :o  

MtRider  ....ground is so warm, we won't need snowplow guy.  :lois: 

• Like 6

Martian Chick....  Prayer for your mom and your family.  We've just been thru the struggle of trying to keep supporting a loved one in a medical facility or care home.  AND the struggle to get timely and accurate information!  :pray: 

Kappy..... I'd really like to have seen that snail and copper trick!  You could post that on YouTube.  Keep the thieving varmints out of your gorgeous gardens!  Good to hear about your health improvements.  Cholesterol lowered by "Eating that one clove of raw garlic daily "   I'm telling DH about that!  He reacts to all the statins and other meds his doc has tried.  Mebbe that will work.  We eat a lot of garlic but not raw and probably not a clove a day.  But he's not taking the meds again!  :sSig_thankyou:  for mentioning it.

MtRider   :santa:

• Like 6

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. Mom had a small gain, followed by an unexpected setback today. She had made progress with the pneumonia and then had a cardiac arrest while i was visiting with her. It was really scary because I assumed that the monitoring machinery was malfunctioning. I could still hear her breathing and her oxygen levels never wavered the heart monitor reading actually flatlined. She is currently stable and responsive to the medical staff. (it was really scary, though!) I was supposed to start my new job tomorrow, but my new boss was incredibly supportive when I reached out. I will be spending tomorrow at Mom's bedside.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Martianchick,  :pray:  for your mom. 

Miki,  did you ever get your utility bill straightened out? 

For now!  And I have a  council  man's number to call if it happens  again. Thanks for asking. 

• Like 3