MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Good morning!
Will walk first.
Rest of the day will be out in the garden tilling up and replanting some areas that the recent rains were not kind to.
Bible study tonight.

I love home days!

• Like 1

I baked a pumpkin pie this morning for our lunch at the library at noon.  Will get a haircut at 10:15 and then to the library where I'll do my walking before lunch.  Unlike your nice weather snapshotmiki ours is 48, rainy and windy.  I'll do mine inside walking round and round the community room. 

Have a good day everyone! :grouphug:

• Like 3

My tiller got away from me about halfway through tilling garden and ate a piece of chicken wire fence. My neighbor helped me cut the section away and disengage the tiller tines. I finished tilling and then patched the area of fencing. It is only to keep dogs out, so nothing fancy. Tomorrow, I will replant what I have ready.

Hope to get some pineapple in the dehydrator today if they have ripened up enough. I put them in a brown paper bag with a banana and closed it up this morning.

And the day goes on...

• Like 3

Hope everyone is doing well.

Mt. Rider, glad everything went well for you, and you got to also spend time with family. Time now to rest up.

My grandson got here this morning from Washington State. He is a sight for sore eyes. He has slept ever since he got here. Not much sleep in 2 weeks and the time difference as well. Though he should be rested in a couple of days. He has lost so much weight. So will have to work on that. He and his sister patched things up and I am so glad about that. I really think what went on was the fought of both of them. But either way he left on a good note. He will be able to find a better job as they have an overload of warehouses around here. And I am hoping he gets full time. We have an Amazon distribution center and an Amazon prime store. So that is great for him as well as QVC warehouse and a ton more on rt. 58. Even a coffee warehouse. Lots of choices and he would better be able to afford to live on his own here verses in Washington State. It was cheaper to have his car shipped here than to try to buy a used car. Can't believe the price of used cars now. So, his car should be here around the 7th of May. They will be picking it up from his sister's house around the 28th. So that's not too bad. 

• Like 4

I'm so mad I could spit. I hate being lied to. So here is the story:

I ordered 3 shelving units for a pantry. Big ones. Not 3 different orders. One shelf times 3. I got three different conformation numbers which I thought was odd. One of the shelves arrived yesterday and the other two were promised later on that night. Why not all 3 delivered at once? I don't know. The other 2 never showed up. So I waited thinking they would arrive later today. By 5:00pm they still aren't here. Hummm.

I checked my email conformation and it said that they tried to deliver them at 9:45 this morning but...my mailbox was full. Mailbox? The boxes are about 4 ft long by 2 ft wide and weigh close to 18 pounds. Each. They were going to put them in my mailbox?  Sure.

So like the complete moron that I am, I went out and looked in the mailbox. Ah-ha, another lie. My mailbox was empty. Why that mattered to me at this point, I don't know. I'm just 'special' that way. Validation that they were lying about my mailbox being too full to leave those humongous boxes in there I suppose.  LIARS.

I went on the USPS website. Never do that to yourself. I was on a recorded line with someone for 15 minutes and she kept asking me the same question over and over again.  I have my tracking numbers but half way through them she would ask me if I wanted to speak to an agent. I said 'yes.' Each time she would ask if I needed more time to locate the number. I would tell her 'no' and she would ask if I wanted to speak to an agent. Over and over and always giving the false hope of an agent. Here is a tip for you. There are no agents. At one point I sighed and she said 'is that a no'. I've never been so frustrated in my life...recently. Finally she said she 'had to hang up and help another customer.' 

I looked around the site (glutton for punishment) to see if there was another Post Office near me that was open until six. I didn't expect one to be but what the heck. I was already in this deep. I put my address in and what do you know! My address isn't valid. After 30 years here I'm not really here. And to think I've been paying property taxes all this time! I see another day of phone calls in my future. 

Well, tomorrow I'll drive over to my Post Office and pick up those big boxes. Now someone will have to help me get them in the Jeep because it is too far from inside the P.O. through 2 sets of doors and across the parking lot for this senior citizen to handle. Oh yes, I'm pulling my 'S' card once again. If they would have left them on the porch I could have slid them in the house.

What do you want to bet that when I go over there to pick them up they will say. "Sorry Ms. Jeepers, but they are on the truck out for delivery." I hope they don't try to put them in the mailbox again. I should probably warn the post master that they won't fit.  Sigh.

• Sad 8

Jeepers I've seen this a few times with the postal service saying they attempted delivery but were unable to deliver. We are home all day, there is no gate nothing in the way of them leaving it on the porch like they do everything else. I've even gotten other packages the same day delivered by them! So it's clear they are lying and just didn't get around to delivering them that day and are covering it up so they don't get in trouble with the boss... sorry you're having to wait for them and hope they are there when you go to pick them up!

Littlesister glad your grandson arrived ok and hopefully he'll be back up to feeling rested soon after a good sleep.

Miki I can just see your tiller running away LOL. Glad you got it fixed back up.

Feeling a bit defeated today with my house. I think really every system is going to need overhauled before we are done. While the electricians were working they noticed a leak while my son was showering, so I have water coming through the floor there under the tub into the basement. I'm trying to stay positive and remind myself this will all be worth it and it's not so very bad just one more thing that needs to be fixed.

• Like 4

@Jeepers - If you sign up for "Informed Delivery" you can log into your accound daily and SEE (images) what mail is scheduled for delivery that day. There is also a notification for packages. IF you don't get the expected mail, there is a box below each image that you can checkmark that says "I did not receive this mailpiece." It may help cut down on the untruths you're dealing with. :bounce:

• Like 6

I'm planning to tackle the food cupboards today. I've been buying more of everything, and I'm ashamed to say I've just been stuffing things where there's a gap (so embarrassed) So, today I put on my big girl panties, grasp a sharpie and set to sorting and dating everything. 

I feel a Cpt Oates moment coming....... " I'm just going outside (or in the kitchen), I may be some time":lol:

Edited by Wychwood
  • Haha 6

Up at 5 this morning and got an upside down black forest cake in the oven first.
Walked.
Made a cast iron skillet of "Grits and cheese bread" Looks great!
This is for the senior club at Church.
Going there at 10 to set up and will be there until all is cleaned and shut down.
Take a couple of plates to shut ins.
Will re-plant in garden this afternoon.
I think that's it for the day.

• Like 4

Well, all's well that ends well with my mail delivery 'situation'. They were very nice at the Post Office. Good thing too because I went in with a 'tude. :sEm_blush: I told them my story...all of it, and they gave a knowing nod of the head. They put the two boxes on a dolly and rolled them out to the Jeep and slid them on in. Ya know if they hadn't lied about the mailbox being too full and if the first one wasn't too big to be delivered, I would have been okay. Just tell the truth.  So, I didn't have to lift them from the porch and over to the Jeep and try to hoss them in. :cheeky-smiley-067:  Son can unload them in Indy. 

Thanks Midnightmom but you know darn good and well I'm not going to try to figure out how to download a new app and try to use it. I have enough stress figuring out how to get pictures from my phone to the computer. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.   :shrug:

Good luck with your cupboards Wychwood. I know your situation exactly. I'm living it too. I think it's safe to say you are in good company around here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Thanks Midnightmom but you know darn good and well I'm not going to try to figure out how to download a new app and try to use it.

It's not an "app." :grinning-smiley-044:

Click here: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action to sign up.

You use your computer to log into the site and see your mail, OR, you can have a summary of the day's mail sent to your email address.

Imagine being in Indy and being able to see what is in your mailbox at home! :thumbs:

:hapydancsmil:

• Like 3

Glad you got your shelving Jeepers! We are slowly making progress here. Electricians finished the first floor outlets, have finished the basement and still have the 2nd floor, and the attic and the first floor ceiling fixtures to re-wire. I had a fencing guy come out to give me a bid on fencing today so we'll see if that's even in our league or if I'm sticking with Wire fencing around my garden LOL.

Work has been a bit stressful transitioning to my new boss this last week. Some good, some not so great.  It would help if IL would find my fingerprints I had done in January to submit for my IL RN license. Since I'm not seeing patients directly just doing administrative work I don't technically need it right now since I work for a company in OR where I am licensed but it makes me feel uneasy and if I had to find another job it would be a problem since they are SLOOOW here about processing the licensure even without a snafu on their losing something. I offered to redo them but they said it would take another 6-8 wks if I re-submit anything (even asking them to resend them from the fingerprint place and just to call back in 2 wks and they would put in a trouble ticket. Sigh...:tapfoot:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Stopping in for a minute to get back into things.  The past two days have been physically grueling.  I FINALLY got my pickup truck back from repair.  Engine fire in Aug 2021 that DH and my mom were able to put out quickly enough that the engine was actually repairable.  For a price.  But as Little Sister was saying, the price of used vehicles is extraordinary right now.  And this was my dad's [mom's too but she doesn't get attached to vehicles like we do] truck for many years.  It's an '85....yeah, 1985. 

Anyway, my camping stuff lives in there under the topper.  But when I removed most of it before having it towed to the repair, I discovered some evidence of mice.  So yesterday....FINALLY not tornadic WINDS ....I began removing the debris that was still in there.  And the patchwork of carpet remnants that protect the truck bed.  Wow...the nice color of paint inside there is really pretty....not oxidized like the outside of the truck.  I got it was cleared out and all those carpet pieces hosed down and dripping in the warm sunshine.  Then I parked it engine up on a slight incline so I could hose out the whole back.  Blocked the wheels and left it overnight to dry out.  Took Nuprin. 

Today....after taking more Nuprin -- OW.......I took it off the incline and began to piece the carpet remnants that were still in good shape on the floor again.  Then began to load up stuff that had been sitting outside in tote boxes all winter in front of the garage.   { It is such a good idea to live in the boonies where neighbors can't see your "Work In Progress"  that lasted months longer than I expected. }  :sEm_blush:  

We were also running a couple loads thru washer/dryer and a few other projects.  :0327:   AND the truck was seriously on EMPTY, so we got one of the 5 gallon containers of gas into it.  I highly recommend the battery-operated pump we have to make that transfer.  You do have to stack up something like buckets to hold the heavy gas container high enough while the battery pushes it into the vehicle.  Busy Day....again. 

So I've already had hot shower and Nuprin.  My muscle relaxant 'script is definitely in my plans for sleeping tonite too.  OW!  But....we're done.  :amen:    And my truck is back in service again.  :cheer:   

JUST in time for our FIRE season.  We've been surrounded with fires already.  Two were very close to my mom's village.  One threatened the ranch where I've continued to ride.  But all have been contained or put out.  More start each day.   The severe WIND and super-DRY conditions are spawning these fires.  :pray:    At least our camping stuff is already IN the truck now....if we'd have to EVAC...AGAIN!  :behindsofa:  

....oh, and we're becoming farmers again. :AmishMichaelstraw:    Ducklings and a few goslings ...cuz ducks are stupid but will run for the pond's safety if warned by the very observant geese.  :darthduck:    Cuz the grocery price of eggs, which we use a lot, has doubled.  The #10 cans of dehy eggs went from $26 to $37...in one week.  :duck1:

MtRider  :offtobed:  

• Like 10
16 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Well, all's well that ends well with my mail delivery 'situation'. They were very nice at the Post Office. Good thing too because I went in with a 'tude. :sEm_blush: I told them my story...all of it, and they gave a knowing nod of the head. They put the two boxes on a dolly and rolled them out to the Jeep and slid them on in. Ya know if they hadn't lied about the mailbox being too full and if the first one wasn't too big to be delivered, I would have been okay. Just tell the truth.  So, I didn't have to lift them from the porch and over to the Jeep and try to hoss them in. :cheeky-smiley-067:  Son can unload them in Indy. 

Thanks Midnightmom but you know darn good and well I'm not going to try to figure out how to download a new app and try to use it. I have enough stress figuring out how to get pictures from my phone to the computer. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.   :shrug:

Good luck with your cupboards Wychwood. I know your situation exactly. I'm living it too. I think it's safe to say you are in good company around here.

Good to know I'm not the only slacker:lol:  

I've done the cupboards and pulled out the items that need to go into long term storage. That's another matter to be dealt with next week, it's at least a two coffee problem just to get my head around and lordy, I'm not looking forward to it. 

I blame the Russians! 

Today is bread day and I have some seeds to sow as the slugs got the ones I sowed direct.:(

Edited by Wychwood
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Mt. Rider, glad you finally got your truck back! I've been reading about the fires that have already started out your way. I know you are vigilant though. 

Congrats on getting some fine feathered friends again. I know what you mean about the price of dried eggs. Fortunately, I got some of the Ovaeasy Crystals before the price went sky high. I have missed out on a few other things though. $$$

I hates those meeces to pieces too. Glad you were able to hose their little 'gifts' away. I had to have all of the Indy carpets steam cleaned last month because of them. All I could think of was Hantavirus.  

• Like 6

:twister3:   +   :campfire:     =   :runcirclsmiley2:

Today was one of those SUPER windy days in CO.  :yar:   There were around 5 NEW wild fires today....one was under 10 miles from us....downwind.  Fortunately, we got VERY foggy conditions towards evening.  If that's all the moisture this system is going to produce, it really does make it easier to put out wildfires.  Wind breaking power lines....  Tree branches falling on power lines.....  Whole trees falling on power lines.....   Stupid people being alive this day.....  All contribute to :runcirclsmiley2:    It was not a good day in Colorado. 

But our fire evacuated neighbors were just allowed back in their homes.  Haven't heard yet if any homes were lost....  :(   Hope not!!!  Guess I'm going to have to rewrite the FIRST, SECOND, AND THIRD level lists of What To Bring To EVAC.  Last summer was so nice.  Got moisture at the right times.  No panic for summer of 2021.  <_<   We're in APRIL and fire season has already started.  We've got a possibility of SNOW coming on the heels of this wretched wind.  And we will all WELCOME SNOW....or rain...  Up my way, we're all so pleased with this damp fog today!!!!!  :amen:  :amen:  

S'pose we'll have to prioritize clearing misc junk from close to the house.  If I can dismantle the old stuff that's destined for trash, we could get some into trash bags for our weekly pick-up.  Time consuming but trash disposal around here is horrendously expensive.  :tapfoot:  Everyone looks junky cuz of that.  We all save enough to make it worth while paying for a full load of bigger stuff.  Hmph!  And we dispose of my mom's trash with our weekly bag pick-up too.

Jeepers.  Glad you got your boxes....and without breaking your back to lift them; position them.  "Mailbox is full"  :buttercup:   Yeah, I agree.  Don't lie to me!  Don't be incredibly stupid on my watch! 

IF this crazy strong wind slows down....hopefully I can get by with just this one rest day...and back to clearing and sorting again tomorrow.  More stuff in garage is to go into the truck.  Got most of it tho.  Guess I need to fill the gas tank too....in case we have to flee danger?  :pray: 

MtRider  :grouphug:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 7

Doing a little cleanup outside too.  It's almost time for the year's first mowing. 

Went shopping and bought nothing but fresh dairy for the planned custard pies, BOGO sandwich bread, sodas for DS, and pie crusts.  The twins are not up to making both crust and pie in the same day yet.  Or I'm not up to supervising them doing so (and cleaning up from doing so).  For the rest of the week's groceries, we are pulling canned salmon and other choice items out of storage.

• Like 6

I'm putting off a trip to Wal-Mart. I don't wanna go. I have only one test strip thingy for my blood monitor thingy and they are the only one who sells them around here. It's no huge deal. I don't really keep up with it like I should. I'm 'just' pre diabetic but lately I've been checking it more often. They keep them locked up so I'll have to scrounge up an assistant and they will take them to the register where I'll have to wait for someone else to find them again. They are just test strips, not medication. Sigh.  Maybe they sell them online. Pffft. Might as well put on my big girl panties (Literally!) and get it over with. 

• Like 7

MtRider praying you get lots of precipitation! I am so sorry you're dealing with this already this season. Hope you can get what you need dealt with smoothly with the items you're disposing of. I was so happy to find out that our trash system here will let you arrange to have larger items picked up for a fee. Much less hassle than dragging them to the dump. We don't have a lot of large items but what a joy to see our junky neighbor got rid of a huge pile this last week from his back yard including several mattresses that were just laying around in the yard when we moved here. I was really worried when we first got here because the listing photos and video tour did not show the mess in this neighbors yard when we saw them in November but when we moved in December his entire back yard was packed with crud. So much better now so I have hope he's just clearing out a mess and will not need to do that again. There are still things there but it's all stacked in his carport more out of site and he appears to be working to get rid of it. We will have to have some things hauled away from our shed and basement that are ruined by the water or were just left by the former owners but that can wait until I'm ready to tackle that once all the other projects I have in the works are done. 

I had a really fun day took a bus trip with my new quilt guild to the quilt shops in the area. We went to 4 shops and I bought a bunch of fabric, patterns and thread to get my projects started. I just need to set up my sewing table and then I can start working on my first one. My order from Gurney's is on my way so I need the ground to dry out a bit so I can plant my strawberry plants. If I have to I'll just put them in my flower beds but I wanted to create a dedicated strawberry bed. It keeps raining and then not drying out enough to use the rototiller.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1