MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Sending best wishes for your mom Themartianchick! :hug3:This weekend I had a lot of social visits. My new book group today met for lunch and we now have 2 members in addition to myself. Yesterday I went on a Quilting Guild bus trip. So starting to make connections in my community it feels great. Puppy has not been letting me get much sleep the past few days she's gotten her days and nights mixed up so waking her up a lot today and keeping her busy so she doesn't nap as much in hopes we can fix this bad habit or I'll be no use to anyone with her waking me up 3-4 x per night lately. She's having minor hernia surgery tomorrow so really hoping that we can both get some rest. 

I feel like my poor garden is on hold it's just too wet still to till. My strawberries are in the fridge until I can get them in the ground.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Yeah, Annarchy.  I've been all over fire locations maps.  That's how I found the one last nite.  But how can the Eastern third have so many fires?  Haven't y'all been getting a deluge of rain....and storms....and tornadoes?

MtRider  :scratchhead: 

• Like 3

Today, I will go into town to local grocery.
Maybe a thrift store.
Come home and walk, then walk dogs.
Weed in garden.
Stay active while I can. I have always thought that if I ever cannot get up and move, then I will sit and watch TV.

• Like 5

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. I spent time with mom yesterday. She was a little sleepy, but did stay awake to watch some of the court shows with me. Today, my sister took a turn sitting with her. Mom's condition is a bit more stable than it was, but her age is still a factor. Since, the hospital only allows one visitor per day, I went to work. Today was my first day at the new job. It felt like a good fit, though the facility is larger than what I am used to. Everyone was incredibly welcoming.

• Like 10

Themartianchick:  Praying for your mom to get much better. It is hard to care for a loved one when you work outside the home. But glad you had a boss that was very understanding. 

Been very busy since grandson moved in.  He has been working circles around me. Got the blueberry bushes planted in ground. They had outgrown the pots and the pots were falling apart around them.  He then took some of the bricks I had and landscaped the area. he wants to plant strawberries around there as well. 

Got part of the garden planted as well. Green peppers, tomatoes, okra, squash, zucchini, and other things. We are going to be enlarging the old garden area to plant potatoes. 

Construction on house is still going on. They are just over halfway there on getting the hall bathroom done. Then to finish in the kitchen and then all the small stuff to be done to get it finished. Hoping they will be done by middle of the May. The deadline was April 17th and that was by contract. Well, they didn't meet that one. 

Grandson has been doing very well here. He helps around the house without being asked to help. He washes his own clothes and helps with cleaning the kitchen and has even cooked dinner for me. Of course, it is his favorite food. Fish!  He is still trying to get used to the time change. With his working nights and the 3-hour time change from west coast to east coast, he is still having a hard time during the day. But is now staying up longer and longer during the day. He is looking for a job here, but car will not be picked up and shipped here till Thursday. Then it should be here around the 7th or 8th of May. Most of his clothes are being shipped here with car. Glad I held on to DH's clothes, he needed some summer clothes and was able to wear some of his clothes. He was coming from being where it is very cold to being hot here. So, summer clothes were very much needed. 

• Like 6

Littlesister, glad things are working out with your G-son. Use those young muscles while they are available!  

I ran some errands today. Not many though. I went to Lowes. In this area they seem to be much better stocked than Home Depot and Menards. The aisle markers in Home Depot are insane. Even the clerk couldn't find the aisle we were looking for. I finally just left. Lowes shares a parking lot with Wal-Mart and Home Depot so I went over there. I've been looking for what I call a 'sink plunger.' It's a plunger with a short stick good for a sink, especially a bathroom sink. Lowes has them. Then I found something I wasn't even looking for. Two ceiling lights. I really liked them and they were on sale. They are from the same 'collection' and one has 5 lights and one has 3 lights. The light in the entryway is broken and to be honest, is ugly. I'll put the 3 bulber in there and the 5 bulber in the dining room which is open and right next door to it. I'll lose the ceiling fan in the dining room but I'm okay with that. Confidentially, it's pretty ugly too. The hallways have 4 lights and I bought fixtures for them about three years ago at Wal-Mart for About $12.00 each and IMO look surprisingly nice. So, for less than $140.00 I got new lights for most of the inside of the house. That still leaves the two bathrooms and the bedrooms but they are sort of tucked away and can get replaced as money allows. I also found some floor protectors to go under the shelving unit legs when I get them over there. 

Went to Michaels for a few more tee shirts. Then to JoAnn fabrics for some curtain material for a back door. I was looking for some black striped material. Like ticking, but all they had was red and light blue. I looked all around that store. I guess striped fabric is out of style. Way out of style. But I did find some nice fabric that I liked a lot. It's sort of a creamy, yellow, celery-ish color with black writing saying family, home etc on it. It looks better than my description. I only needed a yard and a half and it was 30% off and after that there was 12 inches left on the bolt so I got the last foot for another 50% off. I'll have enough for the door and a little something to decorate the pass thru from kitchen to the great room. It was cheap enough that if I do find the stripe I can go ahead and change my mind.

Went to Barnes and Noble for a look around. They have really good educational toys there. I got a marble race thing you have to construct. G-son likes those sort of fast things. I'll probably save it for his birthday. Not sure yet. He is really struggling socially in school since his other g-ma died. I'm thinking he might need grief counselling.

I ended up at Meijers for fresh fruit. I did a quick walk through. The shelves looked good. Freezer section not so good. Plenty of meat and eggs  but I don't remember prices. There were limits of 2 on the meat cases. Pet food looked better. I've heard cooking oil was getting scarce so I checked. There was plenty of olive oil $$$ but the vegetable oil was very low. I didn't see any solid Crisco, coconut oil or lard. So yeah, it was pretty empty. 

Came home and fell asleep on my back. Woke myself up twice snoring. I only snore when I'm on my back. Wonder if I need one of those C-PAP things? I can't see me sleeping with one of those masks on. Maybe just stay off of my back.  What I looked like this afternoon ---> :sleep1:  LOL

• Like 5

Sounds like things are going better for everyone! 

Super busy at work and I had a board meeting yesterday so worked until 10 pm. Tired today. Electrical work continues slowly. They did my bedroom today but still most of the 2nd floor left to go. Puppy had umbilical hernia surgery Monday but is not slowing down one bit and keeping me on my toes trying to keep her from jumping up and down off the couch. 

I went outside to check on my new roses and was astonished to notice outside the bleeding heart I planted only a few weeks ago is already vigorously blooming. I love gardening :wub:

• Like 5

Duckies arrived today.. ...alive and well.  :happy0203:   Got them settled in basement in a tote with the red heat light, water, feeder.  They seem calm and happy.  Tiny.  Looking at the egg prices, I guess having some poultry again is a good idea.  Will be months before we even find out who is gonna lay eggs and who is not.  Straight Run so I hope they're predominantly female....but not likely. 

Trying to switch my sleep schedule back....AGAIN!   Tues I slept 5am to 10:30am.  This morning I slept 4am [hey, it's an improvement] until 8:30am when the Post Office called to say ducks are in.  So we ran out the door so we'd get back for DH to turn around and get to work.  :mornincoffee:  Ugh. 

SO since it's 1am now.....I'm going to reallly try to get to bed before 2am.  :unsure:  Try!

MtRider  :offtobed:  .....soon....

• Like 5

Ducklings sound exciting Mt. Rider.  It's been a long time since we've had baby anything around here. 

How far do you walk daily Miki?  I walk everyday too but only make myself do 1/2 mile.  When the weather is good I often do at least another 1/2 mile.  I used to do 3 miles days but that ended a few years ago.  I lowered it and lowered it until 1/2 mile is the main thing.

themartianchick, hope your mom feels better each day and your job is a good one!

I'm meeting a friend for Chinese afterwhile.  I'll get a few groceries while I'm out and then back home.  Today is a free and lazy day and I'm going to enjoy it.

Hope you all have a great day! :grouphug:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dee said:

How far do you walk daily Miki? 

i walk about 2 miles a day intentionally, then another 1.5 or more doing chores, gardening, shopping, etc.

How are your ducklings today, @Mt_Rider?  In good voice?

@Littlesister, I'm glad things are going well and getting done with your grandson's help!

Ended up helping friend yesterday instead of being in garden, so that will be today.

Will walk first and walk dogs.
Take ebay photos for dh.
weed garden.
Bible study tonight.

• Like 3

Studying my Spanish, doing brainwork and exercises to lower the blood pressure, working on keeping the housemate calm and moving in the direction of getting some kind of VA or other benefits so she can move out, working on nudging DS1 into the job market, encouraging DS2 through the process of refinancing his house for a consolidation loan (my opinion was not asked nor given--I'm just supporting his decisions), somehow managed to get a full day's work in at the day job too--it helped that the last few days were those days where you stack up all the pieces but don't get credit for doing anything, but then for the next couple of days the pieces keep falling into place.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Becca_Ann, what kind of puppy do you have? Name? I love dogs.  

My grandma used to have pale pink bleeding heart plants. They were gorgeous and so unique looking. 

Her name is Ruby and she is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. 

Ruby.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Oh my.  Such an adorable face  :bighug2:even if it does have chewing teeth LOL 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Studying my Spanish

I've been doing Hawaiian for 3 yrs but haven't restarted again after weeks of being gone.  For exercising brain.  Also do the puzzle where you spot the differences between two almost identical pics.  Do jigsaw puzzles with my mom at her house.  No room here.  We've been on a DIFFICULT one with non-standard shapes on the pieces.  Nearly finished....1,000 pieces. It's taken both of our styles of puzzling to do that one.

:duck1:   Duckies are doing fine.  DH has had the charge of them today.  This has been a chair-sitting day for me.  I did make supper....nothing grand.  And thot of a new way to hand the calendar with LARGE squares on the wall.  DH is trying to repair wall holes from things being hung.  Hook for my hair dryer and straightener broke.  Had to chip the sticky part off the wall.  And repair and paint tomorrow when we can open windows.  Don't really need more little projects to do around here.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Becca Anne...that is such an adorable breed.   :wub:  

Little Sister...sounds like Grandson has grown some maturity....working out better than Granddaughter and husband.  HOpe he keeps up his responsible habits and is able to find good employment.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Becca_Anne said:

Her name is Ruby and she is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. 

Ruby.jpg

O.M.G. Just look at that little face!  Thank You for the picture. I was hoping for one. She is absolutely gorgeous.  :wub:

Ruby is a real gem.  :D 

• Like 2

Becca Anne That is a cute puppy. 

Contractors were called off my job again to go work on another house. I am over this crap. So, I left him a message for when he gets off of Vacation. He now has 30 days to finish this job and will not be paid any more money till job is finished and if he pulls contractors off my job again to go do another job then I will be talking with a lawyer about the situation of breach of contract. The job was supposed to be finished by the 17th of April. Every time he pulls the guys off my house it puts my house back another week. So will see what he thinks about a lawyer being bought into the picture.  I cannot go all summer or all year whichever he things he is doing. My life is on hold for this. I don't get a vacation and can't have friends over because of the dust and mess in house. I will throw the fact that he can vacation while my life is on hold. 

Mt. Rider, Granddaughter and her DH is now moving out of her mom's house. Seems her DH can't be happy in a pie factory. He hates his job and not happy living with his in-laws. Seems GD's dad had to call her DH down for being too loud on the computer games with his friends and SIL didn't like being woke up in middle of night. So, he didn't like being told to pipe down.  GD's husband plays on computer with his friends all night and when he is not at work that is what he does. He doesn't like Manuel labor according to my DD. So, he will not turn his hands to help around house. So now they are getting an apt. So much for saving up for a down payment on house. He quit his job when he was here. And a whole lot more. So, issue is not with my GD but with her DH. 

Grandson is doing great. But has a never-ending appetite. Guess he had missed meal colic. At least he can buy his own food and helps with that. He helps clean up after meals and is working in the yard as well. He is helping where he can in house, but with the construction we are limited on getting things put away, washing windows and curtains, etc. So that is all on hold for now. At least he is starting to gain a bit of weight back. That boy was skin and bones when he got here. Still a way to go through. They picked up his car a day early, so it should be here around the 6th or 7th of May. He is trying to find jobs now but needs car and his clothes for the interviews. 

• Like 6

Thanks everyone. Yes she is cute and I don't think she knows she's not human LOL. She's a handful like any puppy she has a lot of energy kind of like this LOL :twister3:

Littlesister it's not right your contractor is taking a vacation while postponing you for another job and all the delays to work on other jobs. Our electric is taking a long time but that's only because it is a complicated re-wire due to the age of the home and the fact they are being careful not to destroy my walls.  I hope you can get a satisfactory resolution to your project.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

garden is IN.  Harvested first radishes & herbs: rosemary, sage, marjoram.  Herbs are in dryer, radishes are in fridge for savoring slowly....

1733707864_april28herbpots.thumb.jpg.23a4b3915afa2a144c81a83a9788ace5.jpgherbs before cutting...2nd pot.  others have to grow more.

bs1779738257_april28longviewraisedbeds23.thumb.jpg.c09f8586d5b70b7639e161269b7012b9.jpg

this is outdoor raised bed.  note the copper strip we put on outside to deter snails  (below)....it works!  We're ordering more

591993895_april28raisedbedshowingcopperstrips.thumb.jpg.8bd31c8fc9ecdb1034522b9a725adf7f.jpg/

• Like 9

Looks wonderful, Kappy.  Can’t wait to get mine growing. A bit early here yet. 

• Like 1

Garden looks great Kappy!

And your pup looks like she will have sweet personality @Becca_Anne!  She is beautiful!

Already paid bills and took my walk.
Also, cut cheese for dog treats.
Next will be into the garden for more weeding.
This afternoon, will take Peanut Butter to the beauty parlor and while we are in town, hit Lowes and Dollar tree.
Easy day!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

• Like 4