MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Annarchy, a nice underground water storage container would be a great place to store all that extra water.  👍

• Like 2

Lol, Mother.  I wish.  Standing water , but the river has subsided.  City, fire department, water company, all around our yard.

Sadly, the gas company, had dug 4’x4’x 4’ holes, at the junctions of each house t-connections.  At least 4 in our alley, and everyone is now flooded.  

Our neighbors yard & back of her house got flooded, just as bad, however, she was very concerned about the river of water filling the tortoise hole, wow! It was flowing in there for over an half an hour!  The ‘big guy’ was out, neck extended, sitting on a large rock, avoiding the flood.

They dumped a load of dirt to advert the flow, when they saw it flooding our carport.  

City & gas company are working on the ruptured line, while the gas co. is digging another 4x4x4 hole near our fire hydrant….  

No running water yet.  Thank God we drink bottled water, and have the ‘hot tub’ for grey water to flush….

And, yes, puppies got to play in the water….

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Gas company is replacing our city lines….

My yard and alley are a flooding river!  They hit the main line,at the edge of our yard…1’ of water still flowing….

Here's hoping they'll voluntarily pay you for the damages. Or, do you think you will have to sue them???

• Like 1

:hapydancsmil: Water is back on, talked with them about who to call, if the 2” of water harmed my washer & dryer and the drywall in my shed…. They took my name & number.  Sooo… tomorrow’s ToDo, is to remove all the wet stuff in the shed to prevent mold & assess the damage.  Our poor neighbor got it worse…their den has always been flooded with heavy heavy rain.  The city tried to eliminate the flooding hazards, but, have never succeeded, when we get 2-6”/hr….  I really don’t care, as long as the washer & dryer still work, drywall, meh…as long as it doesn’t mold.  I will let everything dry out a few days.  Typical electronics will be fine, as long as you don’t turn them on, until they are 100% dry.  2 bags of charcoal got 2” soaked, turned them on their side to let them dry….  

Took the side by side to the PO, hardware store, market, & Dr office… coming home, it looked like the whole road around our driveway was filled with vehicles….  I had to laugh when 5 guys ushered me into my parking place. :008Laughing:

Fun, adventurous, drama filled day….:008Laughing: Very helpful & fun loving guys.  They helped me keep my trench open, several times during it all.  

• Like 6

Before, during and after your clean up, take plenty of pictures to document everything.

I'm sure you already know this but just incase you forget.  

That was nice of the guys looking out for you. It really helps when people are nice. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes indeed!  I took the first pic about 9:30 am, by then, the water was already up to the house, in the shed and 2’ deep…. Lol, I rolled up my overalls, to my knees, went out to get my spade, to make sure my trench was open, and realized, I didn’t roll up my pants high enough….  :24:  I tried to make them laugh, telling them I didn’t need to water today & it was free!   they did, one guy said I had an odd way of looking at the bright side…. Lol

Everyone was soaked… the plume of water , coming out of the hole was 5’ tall!  Squishy boots…..  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Wow that is a lot of water. You had too much and I had too little. I hope they do right by you for the damages!

Yesterday we were without water most of the day due to a water main repair and they turned off the water without any notification just turned on the tap and nothing came out! Reminded me I need to get some more bottled water for the house. We were fine and they did turn it back on by the end of the day but I had planned to take a shower which didn't happen until that evening. First world problems though!

Tomorrow the cabinet guy is coming to install the last two doors and bring the remaining slider drawers for the cabinet. Still waiting on the counters but one tiny step closer. It has been cooling down a tiny bit so looking like the 80's are sticking around which makes me very happy. I am not a summer girl. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No tap water…. We got a bucket from our grey water... We have bottled water for drinking.  Local tap water is filled with lots of ‘no-go’ stuff.  

Just finished the tread mill at #2 setting 1/4 mile.  He says I’m standing straighter and, noticeably, not falling off the end…:whistling::008Laughing:  It’s taken 3 months to get this far..might up it to an half mile, before going to setting 3. :buttercup:  We’ll see. I’m just happy I made a quarter mile at setting 2!  Much more than I have been able to do in 5 years!

• Like 6

Raked up 10 gal. of mesquite beans, still need to do the rest, probably at least that amount, but, it was way too wet.  Balanced our monthly books.  Fed the birds & cleaned out their water dishes.  Watched a pair of dove making a nest in the pine tree.  Too wet to fix the rocks, they moved or to fill the trenches they created to divert the water into my yard, maybe tomorrow, God willing.

We had a blob, Storm, reds, yellows and greens hit us about midnight, captured an inch of rain!  It’s been years, since I’ve seen this much rain in town, PTL!

De-constructed his UTV top cover, cut out a new pattern. It was a bear!  The material & thread, had melted together!  It’s hot around here. Lol.  I should have enough material to make the seat covers and re-do the porch swing!  :amen:  However I need to get some green thread… heavy duty…. Still need to make my monthly run to the store, but, am waiting for his prescriptions to be refilled.  Filled his weekly med box.  He actually said thank you, it is really helping him remember to take them.

Want to laugh, or get grossed out…..?  He swatted a fly on my head, said, oops, it crawled down your shirt!  Then he proceeded to smack my back, just to make sure it was dead!  :grinning-smiley-044:  God I love him!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Ugh hope they get that fixed soon Annarchy no fun :gaah: Your DH is very thorough :happy0203:

Today the cabinet guy brought the last two doors and the pull out drawers and put the handles on the doors. We have to get longer screws for the drawer handles but that is easy to do since he drilled the holes. So my cabinets are done and the countertop people called and scheduled installation for Tuesday. So getting closer! :hapydancsmil:

Otherwise I've just been working and thankful for the long weekend. I need to plan out my menu for the rest of the year and do a big shopping trip to stock up at Costco will probably do that in a few weeks when the kitchen is all done and I know where I'm putting everything. I feel really uneasy about how little food I have stocked up here. 

• Like 4

Walked first, yesterday.
Got records transferred, paperwork filled out and appointment made for new doctor closer to me.
Pressure canned 5 quarts of chicken quarters.
Roasted jalapeno and poblano peppers and froze them.
Took Ebay photos.
That was enough for me.

Walked first, this morning.
made run to Dollar General.
Walked dogs.
Picked okra and figs.
Still need to shave DH's cheeks with dog clippers. LOL
Go out to shed and look for Christmas lights.
Print recipes to put up figs and elderberries next week.
I'm always amazed when I hear someone say they are bored. Very rare occurrence for me!

• Like 3

Sorry I have been MIA for long while.  I have been very busy with getting the house back together and trying to get things done around here. GS pulled muscle in back 2 weeks ago and is still in pain as he won't take off from work to heal. So, it is taking longer, and he can't help me as much with some things. So, taking a bit longer than I hoped for. Still have furniture to move around and I don't want GS helping with that right now. But when SIL comes into town again I will put him to work. Still have canning from freezers to do as that got put on back burner for a while. Garden is done except for green peppers. Working on garden for next year. With all I have to get done I am not doing a winter garden this winter. 

Driver on computer quit and I had to pull out the old computer that has keys that stick. I can no longer get internet on that computer and an external driver didn't work. So that computer is done.  Got tomatoes canned and a few other things and hoping to get started on canning again from freezer within the next month or 2.  All of the construction is done but I have all the cleanup to get done. They were supposed to do the touch up paint and didn't. So, I have the paint and doing that myself. I am :dusting::dishes: mopping, washing windows and curtains. And much more and the :dusting:doesn't end. As soon as I get dusting done, I am having to dust again within 2 or 3 days. That cement dust and such is everywhere. Had to pull all the books off bookcase and dust each book and clean the bookcases. Then put them all back. Still have a lot of books to go through that are packed up right now. 

Won't be on here much as I am really busy right now. Lots of yard work to catch up on as well. 

Hope everyone is doing well, and I will try to get back as soon as I can. Seems I have lots of catching up on here to do. 

• Like 7

I went out last night at almost 7 pm to take out the garbage. Hard to believe but my mail was just getting delivered. I always thought it was supposed to be delivered by 5pm but guess I was wrong. He has been getting later and later. Our usual time is around 3-4 lately.

Yesterday I saw a wild turkey in my backyard. Although I live in an area where we all have about 5-6 acres it is still a rare sight Last week I had a huge doe in my driveway. It could be all the recent construction around here. It seems like every available lot is getting cleared to build on.

Enjoy the holiday!

• Like 6

Miki said, "Still need to shave DH's cheeks with dog clippers."   

There is a visual!  :24:

And, "I'm always amazed when I hear someone say they are bored."

My granny used to say, if you are bored it just means you are a boring person. Or something like that. We learned early not to whine around her. She would either call us 'boring' or worse...find us work to do. Usually manual labor.  LOL

Momo, I've noticed mail trucks in my area running later too. I hate to see that on the roads. They seem like a danger to me because they are pulled to the side of the road at a mail box and you go to pass them then all of the sudden they pull away from the mailbox and then you have to speed way up to get passed them before an oncoming car catches up to you. It's bad enough in the daytime but downright scary at night. And it gets dark so early in the winter. Amazon trucks have until 10:00pm to deliver. At least their trucks are bigger. 

A couple of evenings ago I thought I saw someone creeping around in my back yard. It gave me a start for a minute. It was just after dusk. Turned out it was a couple of deer feeding on my new mown lawn. There is a woods behind my house so they come right up to house. Venison.   

LITTLESISTER, it's so good to see you posting. I understand about being busy. I've been doing a lot of dried food preserving this summer. I have a lot I want to can but it's so heavy to move from Ohio to Indy that I've put it off. I'm concerned about the food situation, both scarcity and prices so I really need to bite the bullet and do a couple of marathon canning sessions. Winter coming up will be a good time to heat up the house with a canner. My painters left some touch-up work too. They said to just call them when I want them to come back...no problem. I never called them. It was easier to just do it myself. I wasn't keen on having more strangers in the house again since I had moved some more stuff in. I still need to repair some stress fractures around doorways. It's good to see your post. Hope g-son is better soon too. 

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

Annarchy no fun :gaah: Your DH is very thorough :happy0203:

:coffeescreen:  Yes indeed, thorough….  :coffeescreen:  Nasty fly was smashed into my shirt.  Spent quite a bit time scrubbing my back. Lol

House cleaning today, got the back room, kitchen done, a couple loads of laundry, (yes, the washer & dryer worked fine..relatively speaking..I was hoping they wouldn’t, so I could get a replacement for the washer.  Lol) DH got up, I replaced the sheets, scrubbed the bathroom, spare room & bedroom…then waited for him to vacuum…. Sitting on the porch swing, while waiting for him to finish, his part…. I believe I killed at least 75 flies….  Terrible, annoying, creatures… then, had to sweep, the ants came swarming in, to collect the dead flies!   :sigh:  

Either way, done!!!  Whew!!!!  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Good morning!
Already have split pea soup in the crockpot.
Next will feed dogs and then go to Church, etc.
Come home and walk dogs.
Switch out Summer fake flowers on front porch for Fall fake flowers and add wreath or two.
Make up a Parmesan cheese size container of my Seasoned salt. I go through that pretty fast when cooking!
Probably watch a movie with DH.

• Like 3

:hug3:   Good to see you checking in, Little Sister!  Hope Grson's injury heals totally and quickly.  Fortunately, the young usually do. 

Yay for Becca Anne's ALMOST finished kitchen......and plan to shop til she's confident of supplies again.  :thumbs: 

I'm hanging in here....   Bit crazy with DH taking more hours of work at a fuel station again.  This one is closer....not as much time in vehicle which aggravates back injury of One Year Ago. Labor Day weekend was not a great time to start a new job.  Crazy busy today and both guys on evening shift were new.  He survived.

We just paid Aug and Sept rent.....and haven't heard if our bank that gave the criminals the key to our checking account are going to decide if they are responsible.  Sure hope SS check is in the OTHER bank account this month.  Sheesh.    I'm just getting all worn out, y'know?

Very glad ducks/geese are trotting right up from the pond to go inside pen and eat!  I'm even walking dog down and walking back UP the hill.  Got to keep a little bit of motion....even with very low energy. 

It would help if I could get back to a more normal sleep schedule......again.  Then I think:  what the heck?  Who cares.  I just need 9-10 hrs to catch up on the events of early summer.  { It's already 1:30am....sheeesh!}   But DH didn't get home til way late....

OK...going to journal and Bible Study and :offtobed: 

MtRider 

• Like 2

I don't think either of our sleep schedules are ever normal, no matter how hard we try @Mt_Rider!

First thing I will do is walk.

Will pick up friend and give her a ride to Lowe's for customer service.

I will run over to Walmart for produce.  Then we come home.

I still have to set up Fall Porch decorations.

Laundry.

Put away last week's pressure canned chicken.

Thaw figs to can tomorrow.  I think I'm getting to the end of the major canning.  I'm sure I will find something else to do soon.

• Like 2

Waiting for traffic to die down before going to Kroger to take a blouse back I bought yesterday. Seems when I was leaving store, I set alarm off. They couldn't find anything that set it off. So, when I got home and was putting away groceries, I pulled the 2 blouses I bought out and one of them has a security tag on it. The blouse was a clearance for less than $10. So why the security thing is beyond me. But I can't get it off so back to the Kroger store. 

Washing clothes and getting kitchen cleaned up really good to start a bit of canning meat. Need to get that done soon. Need the freezer room. Need to get back to the small bedroom to clean up and get shelving units put together for it. All my canning will be in that room as well as my canning supplies. As I have been hearing about our water supply all over the country and lakes drying up, I ordered 4 more cases of canned water from Brownell's. The price is 30.99 for a case of 24 12 oz cans, but last up to 50 years. Water in plastic bottles is ok but if not used over time, my concern would be the breakdown of plastic seeping into the water. I will be also canning more water after I finish getting the house back together. At least I can keep that all in garage on shelving unit without any issues with plastic bottles. 

Will be trying to get back on and catch up when I can.  Seems I have missed a lot. But will get on to read what I have missed. 

Will be calling the well guy to get a new pump installed and getting that going again in the next 2 or 3 months. 

It's cooler today also, so will be working in yard as soon as I get back from Kroger. 

• Like 3

Yay good to see you back Littlesister! My computer was having trouble too and my kid upgraded my video drivers and now it's working smoothly again. I hope you can get yours fixed too. So happy for you that your work on your house is done!

My countertops go in tomorrow :) Handles all on now. I also bit the bullet and attempted a tile repair myself today, removed the tiles that were peeling away from the wall only to discover rotting plywood behind it that is wet. The plumbers swear there is no leak from the plumbing but I don't see how a little loose grout could have caused it to get that wet on the back wall behind where the shower sprays. I think it's got a slow leak from the faucet or tub handle. So all that will have to come out and get replaced with new, and cement backer board go back in behind the tile. I think I may just pull out this tub and put in a full length shower here eventually instead. But since no budget for new bathroom we'll just use upstairs instead for now. I want to keep the one upstairs tub and replace the others with showers. They all need reglazed and that's expensive so I think since we are getting older and no babies in the house it makes more sense to go with showers. But getting ahead of myself I don't have a spare 40k for 4 bathroom remodels :laughkick:

I will be sure to post pics of the kitchen once the plumbers get the faucet and dishwasher installed.

• Like 2
On 9/5/2022 at 6:25 AM, snapshotmiki said:

I don't think either of our sleep schedules are ever normal, no matter how hard we try @Mt_Rider!

Riiiiiight!  Last nite I wrapped up about midnight.  Went to bed reading Kindle on [black background/white letters] ......took half Unisom earlier.  Took half Flexeril...   Took another half Unisom.  :gaah:   4am I slept.  Woke at 11am.  Rats!  I did everything right and ....  :motz_6:

Today's fatigue was not quite as bad, however.  On the horizon ....end of Sept - early Oct is my other weird MS oddity:  Fall Fatigue Thing.  Sometimes it's severity reflects the summer's heat meltdowns.  :scratchhead:   Not sure I had any full-on hyperthermia this year.  Mebbe I can skip this year?  :)  

I'm walking dog in evenings.  We even climbed up the rock side.  Had to sit down on the top but I made it.  Gotta push but not too hard...too fast. 

MtRider  ....still mostly laying down :reading: 

• Sad 1

Mt Rider hope you can fall asleep tonight I hate insomnia! At least you did eventually get some sleep even if it wasn't when you needed it. I have been having lots of restless nights since we moved but I chalk that up to sleeping on the couch with the dog. I really need to get her sleeping on her own again. She can't come in bed with me and DH because she chews up his CPAP masks...sigh. So working on trying to get her used to napping in her crate for now and hopefully eventually on her own at night. I'm such a softie.

Counter top - well they were able to install one section, then realized the other part was too big and heavy for only 3 installers they decided they needed 5 to be safe so will have to come back to do the island.:gaah: I just don't get how they didn't know this before they drove all the way here. I mean this is what they do...sigh. Another lesson in patience for me I think I must be building up a lifetime of practice this year :laughkick: Here is what it looks like so far

20220906_122209.jpg

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Thank you for the picture!

My goodness that is certainly beautiful! That is one gorgeous piece of furniture. Can't wait to see it all put together. 

Thank you Jeepers! They are coming back tomorrow to put in the island granite. I was so happy the cabinet maker captured the stain color I wanted perfectly. The island is blue. I designed the layout all by myself so really fun to see it come together. 

Today we are focusing on getting our homeschooling into a groove, day 2 of 5th grade :wub: Amazing to think he's getting so grown!

• Like 5