MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

8 pints black raspberry jam.

Can I have your black raspberry jam recipe? I just picked a bunch! :) Will be making jam probably on Monday...

Here's the one I used. It's out of the Ball Blue Book. It tastes delicious but I think I'll use more fruit pectin when I make it again. It didn't set up real well.

1 quart crushed raspberries

6 1/2 cups sugar

1 pouch pectin

Combine reaspberries and sugar in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil over high heat stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in pectin. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Yields about 8 half pints

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Edited by Dee
Make corrections

Would you mind sharing the BBQ sauce recipe?

I'm doing 4 pints of Raspberry Chipolte BBQ sauce, some pickles and very likely something gooseberry related. I hope to do some rhubarb ketchup tonight too but i'm out of jars! pfft!

Of course not!!! I use this one http://www.ldsemerge...barbecue-sauce/ but i'm doing it with raspberries. I add chipolte's too and some liquid smoke. I made it with Cherries last week and it was amazing. I'm all jammed out, there's only so much jam we can eat and we grill a lot so its perfect for marinades.

Would you mind sharing the BBQ sauce recipe?

I'm doing 4 pints of Raspberry Chipolte BBQ sauce, some pickles and very likely something gooseberry related. I hope to do some rhubarb ketchup tonight too but i'm out of jars! pfft!

Edited by citygirlinthecountry

Black Raspberry Jam... I'll have to add up the quantity, but somewhere in the vicinity of 24 half pints. Looks like one pint didn't seal. Oh darn, we'll have to eat it right away.... What a crushing tragedy! :P

Looks like one pint didn't seal. Oh darn, we'll have to eat it right away.... What a crushing tragedy! :P

Oh, you poor thing! How awful for you! ;)

When I made blueberry pie filling, there was about a half cup leftover. We were forced to go buy a cheesecake to go with it. :P

Edited by Gladrags

Help!!! freezer is trying to go out. I had just restocked it with meat. It is still cooling, just not letting things freeze entirely. It finally dawned on me that it is 22 years old. It still looks new so I guess I forgot. I have been talking about getting back to canning ever since I have been on here but it seems something always got in the way. I have really been into dehydrating but now it seems I have no choice but to start canning again. I had forgotten what fun I used to have. Today, I have canned 14 pints of chicken to use for soups. Violet I used buillon cubes like you said.

Now my questions are:

I have 50 lbs. of cooked hamburger meat with 2 c. in a bag. Can I thaw it out and can it? plain, chili, beef soup, spagetti sauce, other suggestions, etc. How would it taste?

1 also have 40 lbs. of seasoned chicken I had cooked and froze/2 c. to a bag. How would it do thawed and canned? Can I use frozen vegetables or would fresh be best. Because I have so much to can, I just thought that frozen would be faster. Other suggestions besides soup.

Please tell be how to find Darlene's chicken soup recipe. I looked and could not find it.

Next, I just bought 20 lbs. regular Jimmy Dean Sausage. It is partially frozen. Can I cook it, drain and then can it? What kind of broth would I use? One book said to put water in the leftover grease and pour it over it to can? To me, that didn't sound right. I could do crumbles so I could use it in sauces. I looked on Violet's website that she is always recommending. It sounds sort of like you do hamburger. My concern was the grease residue. I would drain it. Has anyone tasted it and does it taste normal? other sugestions on what to do with it?

I have looked in the canning section for ideas but don't have a lot of time. Pleae any help at all would be appreciated. I had forgotten how much fun it was and how good if feels to see things in a jar.

I guess I look at this at sort of a prelude to wtshtf, maybe a warning of sorts. If we had no electricity, I would feel panicked like I did this morning when I suspected we might have a problem. I could not start canning till this afternoon since I had my little GS. We played outside all morning until it got too hot. We are going to get another freezer but I still need to do something with all of this first. We will look possibly tomorrow. By the way, so far my ceramic glass top is doing alright.

Thanks!

Thanks for asking and suggesting that I contact Violet. As usual, she came through and was very encouraging. She answered all my questions promptly. After I started canning again, it started coming back to me. I did do everything according to the proper instructions. I canned 16 pints of chicken, 16 pints of seasoned hamburger, and 14 pints of sausage. My next project is spaghetti sauce, chili, vegetable beef soup, and chicken soup. Oh,yes, I am going to make some Apple Butter. Homemade is so much better than store bought.

We did get a new freezer and got it loaded this morning. It was too hot in the garage yesterday. We have fans going and leave the door up half way but still too hot by 2 or 3.

I guess things come in threes. Our TV in our bedroom went out Sunday night(DH now wants a HDTV--I think it is a waste of money, but he loves his TV at night.) Now our dishwasher is going out. He loads and unloads it so he is ready to get a new one.

Well, at least that is our three things, so no more.:laughkick: :laughkick: :laughkick:

Thanks for asking and suggesting that I contact Violet. As usual, she came through and was very encouraging. She answered all my questions promptly. After I started canning again, it started coming back to me. I did do everything according to the proper instructions. I canned 16 pints of chicken, 16 pints of seasoned hamburger, and 14 pints of sausage. My next project is spaghetti sauce, chili, vegetable beef soup, and chicken soup. Oh,yes, I am going to make some Apple Butter. Homemade is so much better than store bought.

We did get a new freezer and got it loaded this morning. It was too hot in the garage yesterday. We have fans going and leave the door up half way but still too hot by 2 or 3.

I guess things come in threes. Our TV in our bedroom went out Sunday night(DH now wants a HDTV--I think it is a waste of money, but he loves his TV at night.) Now our dishwasher is going out. He loads and unloads it so he is ready to get a new one.

Well, at least that is our three things, so no more.:laughkick: :laughkick: :laughkick:

Sounds like my house! Once one thing goes out it seems like all the rest follows right along.