MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

post-7458-1285899709_thumb.jpgThis time I'm hoping to post only 1 photo! From the left - 6 pints of Red Hot Pickles --then 10 pints of Violets Zucchini Relish -- 7 pints of Grandmother's Golden Relish (from Ball Complete) --and 11 pints of Canned Nerd's Cucumber Relish--(I have 1 pint of each one in the fridge) ...I also have 6 double batches of Cat's Frozen Cucumber Salad (minus 2 pint and a half boxes that I've already eaten)... and a double batch of Red Hot Pickles still soaking. Boy am I glad that this cucumber marathon is about over. Oh- I did give 1 1/2 bushels to a friend! P.S. Please notice in the background my new jar shelf that DH made me. It has 9 long shelves, but I still have boxes stuck in every available space! Thanks you guys for all your help. You are the best!

post-7458-1285896335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trudy
  • 3 weeks later...

Made 8 pints and 12 1/2pints of Trudys Pear Honey..........Does it get any better than YUM? #2 son put a spoonfull of the extra on a grilled porkchop and declared it a sucess! Thank you, Trudy...............pigz

Violet, I have a question or 2 about your marinated mushroom for BWB recipe. I plan on giving these for Christmas gifts. How long will they keep? I know sealed jars of other things will last a long time, but with the oil, will they keep for say 6 months? What about pressure canning these, or would the higher temps cause a problem with the oil?

These 'shrooms are WOW DANG GOOD! according to #2 son. He put a jar in the fridge last night and opened it today to 'sample'. I agree totally.

I bought a 10 pound box of real small, under 1'' shrooms at a restruant supply for $12. I doubled the marinade ammount because it was more than the 7 pounds in your recipe. I think I should have weighed them cause I ended up with 23 1/2pint jars and 2 1/2pints of the marinade I kept for salad dressing. Never too much of a great thing!! Thanks, pigzzilla

Made 8 pints and 12 1/2pints of Trudys Pear Honey..........Does it get any better than YUM? #2 son put a spoonfull of the extra on a grilled porkchop and declared it a sucess! Thank you, Trudy...............pigz

Glad yall liked it. Did you add the coconut? It is good with or without it, I just like it better without.

Violet, I have a question or 2 about your marinated mushroom for BWB recipe. I plan on giving these for Christmas gifts. How long will they keep? I know sealed jars of other things will last a long time, but with the oil, will they keep for say 6 months? What about pressure canning these, or would the higher temps cause a problem with the oil?

These 'shrooms are WOW DANG GOOD! according to #2 son. He put a jar in the fridge last night and opened it today to 'sample'. I agree totally.

I bought a 10 pound box of real small, under 1'' shrooms at a restruant supply for $12. I doubled the marinade ammount because it was more than the 7 pounds in your recipe. I think I should have weighed them cause I ended up with 23 1/2pint jars and 2 1/2pints of the marinade I kept for salad dressing. Never too much of a great thing!! Thanks, pigzzilla

Oh, you do not need to pressure can them. The bottled lemon juice is what acidifies them enough to make them safe. I always seem to do that, too, come out with more marinade or something.

They may turn a bit dark in the jars as they sit, but over a year is even fine with them. My dd loves, them, too ! It does make a good salad dressing. We open a jar, add some artichoke hearts I got on sale for a great price, some diced cauliflower, baby corn, or whatever and make great salad. You could sure use it with pasta, too.

Glad you got a good deal on the mushrooms. They do make a fantastic gift. So much cheaper than the store price for something like this.

7.75 pints pickled hot pepper rings from the garden. A mix of Hungarian Hot Wax, Anaheim, Jalapeno, and Hot Lemon. No Cayenne, as I dried all those! A serrano or two might have gotten mixed in as well, but it all gets mixed up together. Now I smell like hot peppers, vinegar and garlic! with a hint of henna from my left arm. It's actually surprisingly pleasant all together.

We are almost finished with apples. Almost. Just about 2/3 box of Granny Smiths is all that are left.

I ended up getting a lot of apples from a neighbor down the road. 2 boxes Gala, 2 Jonagold, 2 Fuji and 1 Granny. They all got run thru the Squeezer and made into applesauce. I like chunky best, so we ran some thru with the pumpkin screen. Chunky applesauce! My #2 son was helping me with all the apples and I'm so glad he enjoys the kitchen. I have a peeler/corer/slicer contraption that is great. He really likes using my 'tools'

Son was putting the cores in a separate pot from the peels. When we finished up last night, he put the cores in a pan and boiled them a minute then ran them thru the squeezer with the regular screen, then did the same with the peels with the pumpkin screen, added some dried chopped cherrys, chopped dried apples, raisins, orange zest and the juice, and some spices and mixed it all up, jarred and ended up with 9 pints and 12 1/2pints of 'squeezins-n-spice'. That stuff is good. Kind of a mincemeat type thing. I think it will make a good turnover/fried pies type filling.

This morning, #1 son brought me 2 more boxes of Grannys from the ranch where he works. And he bought me a box about 15 pounds of Gravenstein apples he knows I love. They are hard to find around here. I worked in an applesauce cannery a loooong time ago, and Gravensteins were the variety there.

So, anyway the total so far is 118 quarts of applesauce (11 pints of Gravenstein for me!) 22 quarts of pie filling and 12 1/2pints of jalapeno-apple preserves. My DH loves applesauce. Good thing. We have to finish up tomorrow.