MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Is/Was For Dinner?

Been awhile since I've visited this subject, but I fixed our version of hot pastrami sandwiches, which MrWE2 loves:

Several large slices of Italian Bread (I like Panera's)

Cut each slice in half to make one sandwich

Slather both sides with may & turn mayo side down on medium heat cast iron skillet.

When browned, turn over & brown the other sides.

On each half, place 2 leaves of romaine lettuce & several slices of tomatoes (you can add avacado also if you like).

Then I add several slices of pepper jack cheese, and several slices of colby cheese.

Add pickles if you like (we don't)

Add several thin slices of onion

In still hot skillet, fry up several pieces of peppered bacon and several pieces of deli-style pastrami meat

Place bacon on each sandwich, and then place the pastrami meat.

Place other piece of bread, mayo side down on the meat

And you're ready to serve with tortilla chips!

Don't pay attention to the camera date...I never set it! :-)

post-9087-0-80722000-1404615607_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's
  • 1 month later...

Tonight was Chicken a la King and bread pudding.

I have revisited all my pre 1940's cookbooks and DH is loving it. The bread pudding was because we needed to use up some of the older bread we had. I used dried raisins and was amazed how tender they were.

Glad I'm not the only one who collects old cook books. Or at least reproductions of them.

We're having a veggie dinner tonight - butter beans, squash, corn on the cob, corn bread. Think I might do some cinnamon apples too. Need to use up my canned apples.

Lasagna, smells so good, used up stuff in the fridge,and cupboards, enough so that I even reorganized and cleaned a bit.

Caught up with laundry, did some vacuuming, and pulled a few weeds. (It is raining so they are easier to pull, but it gets chilly out there.)

hi to all you good cooks here. I started back on the first page and have read all of it to page 14. I just wanted some ideas for my 2 little boys, it's so hard to cook for them. One of them will eat anything I cook but the little one is so PICKY. He wont eat peas, beans ,mac and cheese, soup, rice pudding, rutabagas, greens., any kind of leftovers. I guess you get the idea that I have a problem. He wants peanut butter and jelly, cereal , anything sweet. Everyone has said to cook what I want and put it on the table. If he's hungry , he'll eat. But that is not the case. He just won't eat anything and I worry about him . So I cook fried chicken, spaghetti, pizza--- no veggies for him. I try to cook a good balanced meal and make him try new things. I will make some progress maybe.

Anyway , Philbe, you just HAD to post that picture didn't you. I wish I could come to supper at your house. Even Abram might eat that.

We had a lunch/dinner today with your typical Labor Day food. Smoked slab of pork ribs, homemade baked beans, macaroni salad and green beans.

For breakfast I made a brunch type meal. Blueberry pancakes and smoked sausage. The blueberries were from our garden and our neighbor made the smoked sausages.

No other meal today. If DH wants he snack tonight there are plenty of leftovers.

We had bbq pork yesterday. So today a glance in my fridge showed me that we have some beans to use and I know there's some leftover rice too.. so it's burritos for dinner.. and maybe I'll cook up some peppers and onions to dress up them up a bit. (I love sauteed veggies on a bean burrito)

we're having steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, black eyed peas, hot biscuits, iced tea, and I made a chocolate pie for dessert. I may find something in the fridge to heat up also.

it's raining here, dreary day. Wish I could just go to bed with a good book.

Kully

Speghetti Squash with grilled chicken tenders on the side. MrWE2 had marinara sauce on his and I enjoyed garlic powder, salt, pepper and grated parmesan. Pastor friend sent us home with two! We love those silly things and have found so many different ways to fix them :-)

1 package of 10 chicken wings including the fingers. Made some hot wings, some garlic parmesan, and some salt & vinegar. Served with a few tater tots and ranch dressing. (Note to self: prepare and freeze another batch of tots.)

I separate the wings at the joints and pressure cook them. After removing the arms, I continue cooking the fingers until they are mush and freeze them for anything that needs chicken broth.

The cooked wings are easier to flavor with sauces than trying to season them before I cook them. I usually put them into the oven for about 10 minutes after seasoning them, to firm them up and set the flavors.

Last week we had chicken pot pies. I am still learning (again) how to make the crust rim. It was a thrill to be able to cook them all at once in the oven. The toaster oven never seemed to cook the center of the crusts without burning the edges, even when I used aluminum foil around the edge.

PotPies1.JPG

1 package of 10 chicken wings including the fingers. Made some hot wings, some garlic parmesan, and some salt & vinegar. Served with a few tater tots and ranch dressing. (Note to self: prepare and freeze another batch of tots.)

I separate the wings at the joints and pressure cook them. After removing the arms, I continue cooking the fingers until they are mush and freeze them for anything that needs chicken broth.

The cooked wings are easier to flavor with sauces than trying to season them before I cook them. I usually put them into the oven for about 10 minutes after seasoning them, to firm them up and set the flavors.

Last week we had chicken pot pies. I am still learning (again) how to make the crust rim. It was a thrill to be able to cook them all at once in the oven. The toaster oven never seemed to cook the center of the crusts without burning the edges, even when I used aluminum foil around the edge.

attachicon.gifPotPies1.JPG

Yum-yum-yum!

Fixed the last speghetti squash and mixed up some chunky salsa-like speghetti sauce. I had cottage cheese & cranberry sauce for my side, MrWE2 likes his straight :-) I seem to be craving different combinations now and then...soda crackers with orange juice? Cottage cheese w/cranberry sauce? Must be a harmone thing :-)

BBQ chicken, potato salad, corn. This was by special request from my oldest boy. I also made just plain baked chicken for the youngest as he doesn't like BBQ, or potato salad. no dessert . But I've pulled out a lot of my recipe books to search for something good for tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weeks baked: pizza, enchiladas, chicken, snicker doodles, chocolate chip cookies, cornbread, lasagna, broiled chuck steak.

Stove top included, hot wings (fingers frozen for chicken stock), tacos, & white beans & bacon soup.

Pressure cooked then BBQ'ed some rib end pieces.

Served with: beans & rice, baked potatoes (a neighbor brought us two 10 lb. bags), fried zucchini sticks (from an odd shaped zucchini that grew in the garden), potato salad, & perslane.

After DH's surgery, a friend brought over chicken fricassee with garlic bread and red velvet cake. His wife is such a sweetie.

I canned some 5-bean soup and had enough left over for supper,cornbread and a little piece of ham. It was good. Of course , the kids didn't like it=="We're having BEANS for supper?"===Well ok , just make yourself a sandwich, I'm thru cooking for today.

Edited by kully